PDA

View Full Version : Pet Stains

MissQueenie
08-15-2006, 09:25 AM
I recently purchased a gorgeous vintage down and rayon satin comforterĶonly to come home one day to a kitty accident on it. Luckily there is no staining, but the smell is terribleĶI have a great product Ive used in the past (Natures Miracle), but it is mostly isopropyl alcohol and Im terrified it will destroy the satin (or the down). The same company also makes a laundry detergent, which I have used in the past (though the alcohol stuff works better)ĶI know the cleaner will say they could get a stain out but not the odor.

So, what should I do? Soak the spot with the alcohol treatment? Try soaking the entire quilt in a soapy tub using the special detergent?

The stain is on the older side, maybe 2 weeks, because Ive been hemming and hawing over what the heck I should do about it. Advice, warnings, and moral support are welcome!

Lady Day
08-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Id put it in a plastic sealed container covered in baking soda for a few days. Check it to see about the smell, and replace the soda as needed.

LD

Daisy Buchanan
08-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Id put it in a plastic sealed container covered in baking soda for a few days. Check it to see about the smell, and replace the soda as needed.

LD
I would do the same thing. Or, instead of baking soda, you could use clumping kitty litter with baking soda in it. This works for various odors, not just kitty accidents. Hmf, if they weren't so darn cute, cuddly and furry!

MissQueenie
08-15-2006, 01:49 PM
So just cover the comforter with dry baking soda? My concern is that I'm not actually *cleaning* the comforter, especially the feathers inside (eeew)...

Seriously, cats and vintage are sometimes just a bad combo.

Lady Day
08-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Soda (dry) will do nothing to the comforter. It will nutralize the odor and the feathers will be fine, heck maybe even better, smell wise at least :)

LD

MissQueenie
08-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Awesome. I will give it a whirl!

Now...where on earth can I get that much baking soda?? ;) Smart and Final here I come!

LolitaHaze
08-15-2006, 03:53 PM
I used to wash kitty accidents in vinegar. I am not sure how that would fair with vintage satin, but it's an option.

fortworthgal
08-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Seriously, cats and vintage are sometimes just a bad combo.

lol Tell me about it!

Definitely try the baking soda trick.

Twitch
08-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Nature's Miracle does work great on places like carpets though folks. Anyone with indoor pets can benefit from it. Good stuff!:)