Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
Can we have some straight up and down pix of that linen suit SVP BT?
Your costume makeups have been the highlight of the Lounge for me. Right on the money ...you are a genius of re-creation. What a great hobby....you shoulda been in pitchers....
C

***Maybe- sometime soon but not today...

***Thanks- I would have love to have been in pitchers.

B
T

Mark G

A-List Customer
Wow BellyTank, thats impressive. Thank you.

This picture was taken on El-Karama ranch in the Kenyan highlands near Nanuki. When we started out on a morning walking safari you had to dress warm as it could get quite cold at 6,000 feet. The polar fleece shooting vest may not be vintage but it did the trick. By the time this pic was taken the sleeves were rolled up and the silk bandana off, but I was still comfortable. Our regular guide decided to stay in his banda, he was terrified of going out without the protection of a vehicle. Before we left he told me all I needed now was a rifle. Ah yes, a Holland and Holland double in .416 Rigby. The .458 Winchester Mag in our guides hands is impressive to be sure... but does it shoot and if so how proficient is he.?

IMG_0227.jpg

cooper

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
Let's see 'em Cooper!

B
T
Here's a few of my favorites..No name on this one.English or German...Leatherman got his idea from.....
P1010048.jpg

The three blade is a New York Knife co.Hammer Brand. The Buffalo horn handle has a couple of worm holes to give it character.Sorry for the poor pictures.
P1010047.jpg

This ones from Austria
P1010046.jpg

Took the pictures on an old TV cabinet

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Linen suit

cookie said:
Can we have some straight up and down pix of that linen suit SVP BT?

Cookie,

Old-Town in Norfolk do a linen suit that is quite similar to BT's excellent example. You would need the Borough or Marshalsea jacket with the High Rise trousers and waistcoat in Mushroom shade Irish (that's Ulster...) linen.

Alan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
As promised- more Alpine Gear/Anoraks, etc...

Here's a little more- some of the gear has been previously posted but there is some new stuff-
new assemblages. Some alternative choices and combinations for Hiking and Climbing in Vintage Style,
in colder climes...
I don't think I need to show a length of rope...

My "Star" Anorak has gone missing for the moment but when I find it, I will update this post.

DSCN3582.jpg

Swedish Army , woollen undershirt, Swiss Army Sweater and suitable woollen Swiss Army Trousers.
Sturdy boots and canvas (Styrian style) Gaiters, Carved Walking Stick, in a traditional folk design,
complete with Wolf's Head handle- from the Carpathian Mountains, a Bergen Rucksack and an assortment
of suitable headwear...

DSCN3583.jpg

DSCN3584.jpg

DSCN3585.jpg

German, Gebirgsjæger(Mountain Troop) Windjacke(Windjacket).

DSCN3586.jpg

Swedish Anorak/Smock, 1930s Swedish civilian Goatskin jacket, in a sporty, Adventuring style
and another style of boot.

DSCN3587.jpg

Tan, high-waisted trousers, braces, white roll neck sweater, Shoulder bag and the '30s Swedish, goatskin jacket again.

DSCN3588.jpg

Ski Goggles, clear celluloid Wind Goggles and a Whistle(bone) and Lanyard.

The Swedish Anorak is a type readily available as Surplus and can be had in white, tan and green.
I have several. See previous postings of Alpine gear for a British Army Smock/Anorak, which I have not included here.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hermann Meyer Cap-

Here is my "Hermann Meyer Cap"(a WW2 German Luftwaffe style of Tropical cap). The style goes back much further than WW2- back to the Kolonien...

I have thoroughly aged it.

DSCN3591.jpg

DSCN3592.jpg

DSCN3590.jpg

DSCN3589.jpg

It has been washed and had colour removed from wear points and the top of the crown.
The only pre-ageing picture I have of it is back in post #155.
It has also been shaped into a style more to my liking.
The original(black)leather chinstrap has been removed and I have tried a brown one from a WW2 British cap but I may make a new one from some suitable leather I have. It will get a home made leather sweatband/crown stiffener.
A work in progress.
Maybe this goes some way to showing what an... enthusiast I am.

A great piece of Desert Adventuring headwear, nonetheless-
The neck flap is a very useful addition- against the bleaching, Desert sun.
Now I just need an Imperial German cockade for it...

B
T

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Scottsdale

Hemingway Jones said:
...My J. Peterman Victoria Falls jacket and Bill's khakis in the wilds of Old Town Scottsdale, Arizona.

It is a little bit of khaki tuxedo, but I think it looks good. ;)

Apart from looking pretty smooth a la BT are you going to really hurt a guy by telling me you spent the rest of the day going over FLW's Taliesin West studio museum?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
cookie said:
Apart from looking pretty smooth a la BT are you going to really hurt a guy by telling me you spent the rest of the day going over FLW's Taliesin West studio museum?
Nope, I missed that one, but I ate some ice cream at The Sugar Bowl. ;)

I need to meet up with BT sometime soon. I need to get to the UK.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112