Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
Well, wherever you are, I will find you.

BellyTank said:
Uh..oh...

B
T

No, you submit, do you hear? You be strong, you survive... You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Vladimir Berkov said:
BT, how did you go about aging that Hermann Meyer cap?

Well- you can't quite see the full effect and contrast in the pics....

If you really must know-

I put a wire from another officer style cap in the crown, around the piped edge,
used the rough side of a scotchbrite to take away some finish- same thing with the scotchbrite on the peak and on al the seams and high edges.
Handwashed it in hot water and washing powder for a white wash, to remove some dye- scothbrite'd the top of the crown in a circular motion in the middle to take out more colour. When it was dry, I painted strong coffe and tea solution around the low spots and wear place to make it dirty. When finished and dry, it looked too dirty, so I rinsed it out gently to remove the excess soiling. I kept the wire in the crown, to keep it stretched- shaped the crown to the desired look and dried it on a hot radiator. It now retains the shape, with the wire removed. I bought this cap one size too large, with this procedure and wetting/drying in mind. It was a s60, now it fits like a 59.

et voila!

B
T

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Did you see/like my Alpine gear..?

B
T

Yep! It is sweet. I am in the process of putting together my own Alpine gear. I have a reproduction German gebirgs-jager cap, and I can use my WW2 German keilhosen trousers as skiing pants. I also have a pair of WW2 Italian mountain goggles. The only thing I really need now is a good jacket or coat to go with the whole deal.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Cool!

I need a proper Gebirgs cap- I have quite a few M-43-style caps but I like the shorter bill and higher crown of the Gebirgsj?¶ger type.

Is yours from LB..?

The Italian goggles with the yellow lenses..?
I need them too.

I had a cool pair of goggles on the way to me from eBay but they have gone astray. More rucksacks on the way though- Gebirgs and DAK.

I still can't find my Gebirgs Anorak...(?)

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
As I have promised elsewhere...

Some day soon...
...when the weather demands, (and a suitable backdrop permits)
I shall shoot myself, in the photographic sense,
clad in some tropical attire.

I am fat and ugly (drunk now too)and I'm warning you-
the gear looks better on the Persian rug than on me...

But I promise.
I will attempt this feat.

All things going well in the World of Tripods.

B
T

Speedster

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Some day soon...
...when the weather demands, (and a suitable backdrop permits)
I shall shoot myself, in the photographic sense,
clad in some tropical attire.

I am fat and ugly (drunk now too)and I'm warning you-
the gear looks better on the Persian rug than on me...

But I promise.
I will attempt this feat.

All things going well in the World of Tripods.

B
T

Photoshop can perform miracles...;)

Doug C

Practically Family
Water transport..

Hey guys, I assume everyone who reads this thread also reads the rest of this sub-forum but in case not.... I posted a thread a couple of days ago about a very cool canteen. Just thought maybe I should have put it here instead of the main forum - It does qualify as "Adventure Gear" though not necessarily vintage or from the WWII period. If anyone's interested here's the link:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=18592

Doug C

Mike K.

One Too Many
For what it's worth...
According to a report of the latest Spring 2007 runway fashion trends - "it's all about safari shirts."
How about that, my classic daily wardrobe actually matches the latest fashion statement! Go figure. [huh]

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
For what it's worth...
According to a report of the latest Spring 2007 runway fashion trends - "it's all about safari shirts."
How about that, my classic daily wardrobe actually matches the latest fashion statement! Go figure. [huh]
Well, we keep wearing what we like, and it's bound to drift back into fashion sooner or later. :eusa_doh: Like Jovan notes, though, rarely in it's pure form. They're bound to have embroidered leopards on the sleeves or come in lime green or something.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Ok, chaps, I need some help on a piece of gear! I was out doing some surveying in some pretty strong wind (23 knots, with 50 knot gusts!) and I was really wishing I had a good pair of sand goggles. They must be vintage or vintage inspired, though!

I was considering a pair of the "Rommel" goggles, and found some here: "Rommel" goggles. These were meant to be disposable, though, so I don't think they'd last long. (By the way, how many pairs did Rommel lift from O'Connor's staff car, anyway?! Did he wear the same pair for the next year, or did he get keep getting re-supplied from captured British stores?)

As a side note, I wear glasses, so I need something that fits over them. I was considering skydiving goggles. I used to wear these types over my glasses without too much trouble, but then I only wore them for the time it took to fall (in a controlled manner) for 5000 feet, so I don't know how comfortable they are for extended periods of time.

b612ukyx.jpg

Any suggestions?

Jovan

Suspended
I have seen a few that are actually decent, in linen or something. But these same brands have been selling "camp, outdoor, utility" etc. shirts forever. When something comes into fashion, it usually tends to be done in not a very good way. Double breasted suits, for example. I have yet to see one from a "fashionable" name that does the classic style justice. Usually they're in gaudy fabrics or the button stance, placement, etc. is completely off. No wonder the general public doesn't want to wear them anymore!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko