Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I guess every ones in that safari/ adventurer mind set lately. Within the last week I’ve picked up both “Green Hills of Africa” by Hemingway, and the film, “King Solomon’s Mines” (the 50’s version).

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Serial Hero said:
I guess every ones in that safari/ adventurer mind set lately. Within the last week I’ve picked up both “Green Hills of Africa” by Hemingway, and the film, “King Solomon’s Mines” (the 50’s version).

Well, it's a lot easier to find a cravat that works with bush gear than it is to find one that sets off a sealskin two-piece. :p

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Speaking of a little inspiration, those of you that have the History International channel, you might want to check out Amazon Adventures on Monday night (21 August). I haven't seen it, but it looks good, and has a section on Teddy Roosevelt's exploits.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Thanks for the tip!
"Digging for the Truth" had a show 2 weeks ago that focused on Percy Fawcett- which of course has re-kindled my interest in his exploits.
Interestingly enough, they depicted Fawcett clad in white riding attire- breeches, shirt, riding boots and panama hat- instead of khaki jungle uniform. Anyone have any idea on how accurate this might be.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Thanks. Film lists would be nice, but I'd also appreciate screengrabs from various films if you have them. I've been trying to get some Quatermain-esque gear going.

So far, just to let you know what is somewhat set in stone, this is what I've got my heart set on:

-Digging For The Truth-style hat, BB shell (yep, Beaver Brand) from Lee Keppler, who does indeed make these.
-Safari jacket, possibly by Magnoli, if not by my grandma/other retailer.
-Safari shirt, I'd like it in a white or off-white color, but safari shirts are safari shirts.
-Corcoran II Jump Boots, which are more for actual use than costuming, as is all of this stuff. They have speedhooks, treaded soles, etc.
-WWII US Army Mussette Bag, this item I already have.

And I'd like to find some of those "cowboy bracers" like what was discussed in the Sean Connery's gunbelt thread. (any links would be greatly appreciated on that one).

Other than that, up for grabs, especially concerning trousers. Any comments about the above or about pants are appreciated.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Serial Hero said:
Two of my favorites. Enjoy them both!
Kodiak said:
...but safari shirts are safari shirts....
On the contrary, my good man!

Though I dearly want the white safari shirt from Orvis, I have to tell you a little story about this weekend in NH. Daisy and I got out of the Jeep in the Mountains and she was instantly besieged by bugs, just covered. Me; I only had a few buzzing around the brim of my Panama.

She said to me, "These bugs must be bothering you!"

I didn't know what she was talking about. Then I realized, I was wearing my short sleeve safari shirt from LL Bean and it was treated at the molecular level with Buzz Off. It actually worked! I was amazed.

I thought you should know this. :)

Lancealot

Practically Family
Slightly off topic

:eek:fftopic: For some rather interesting true life adventure reading pick up some of Peter Chapsticks works. "Death In The Lonely Places" is very good and has some right ups on turn of the century adventurers.

Haversack

One Too Many
Kodiak wrote:
"I've always liked to look at myself as an "adventurer" of sorts. I've always loved "adventuring" gear. I've also always liked to dream of Africa and India in the Victorian era of high adventure."

If I may direct your attention to an organization still in existance which was founded specifically to make use of men with experience of life beyond the black stump who were unsuited by age and/or temperment to the regimented life in the military: The Legion of Frontiersmen.

Here's a link to a book about their history with many photos of its earlier members in their gear.
http://www.frontiersmenhistorian.info/index.htm

Here's a link to a site with more about their current status:
http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/specfor/frontier.htm

Haversack.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
@Hemingway- my dad has one of the BuzzOff hats from Orvis. He rarely wears it, but it kept the bugs off when we were kayaking the estuaries in Florida. Bugs don't really bother me too much though, except on my lower legs when I go through tall grass.

PS- is the Orvis too small for you too?

@Lancealot- not off topic at all old lad! I'm actually getting ready to do a mass Barnes and Noble order (right now actually) and one of his titles is on the list, along with a Richard Halliburton novel, and Allan Quatermain.

King Solomon's Mines is the best adventure book ever written. Period. End of story. I've never seen the movie though. Is it available on DVD?

@Haversack- thanks for that. I've actually never heard of those folks. I'll have to check them out, if nothing else because I am not suited to the regimented life of the military. And no, I'm not kidding with you. :eek:

As far as white safari shirts goes, I'm sure Magnoli could fix me one up in a jiffy.

Lancealot

Practically Family
Well you can't go wrong with Peter. When reading one it's very easy to imagine yourself setting around a campfire and listening to him recounting the hunt of the day.

I also enjoyed the Allan Quatermain. Also check out she by Ridder.

Haversack

One Too Many
Here's an excerpt from the Legion's history describing the clothes the group wore"

"The Legion decided on a uniform by getting the London Frontiersmen together in the dress they would themselves wear on the frontier. The result was remarkably similar, varying only in the weight of cloth suitable for the climate theman was accustomed to. It became a slouch hat, loose navy or khaki shirt, neckerchief, riding breeches and boots with bandolier or revolver. Eventually the B-P hat as worn by the Scouts and the Canadian Mounted Police, or the slouchhat, became universal. The motto adapted and used even today on the badge,was "God Guard Thee", said to be the engraving on the ring found on General Gordon's body."

Regarding _King Solomon's Mines and Allan Quartermain: Haggard modeled Quartermain on the great hunter F. C. Selous. Selous was a member of the Legion of Frontiersmen and was killed fighting the Germans in East Africa. By way of coincidence, the father of the author, George MacDonald Fraser, was the medical officer, (i.e. Doctor), who buried F.C. Selous.

Haversack.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Lancealot said:
For some rather interesting true life adventure reading pick up some of Peter Chapsticks works. "Death In The Lonely Places" is very good and has some right ups on turn of the century adventurers.
I'm not familiar with his writings, but I do use his lip balm. ;)

I agree, Kodiak! Great info, Haversack! How the heck do we join? Or do you have to be recruited?

Kodiak, Haggard has a number of novels about Quatermain; you may consider getting one of the collected volumes. Once you read one you'll want to read more. You may also want to read Lost World; the Doyle novle, not the Crichton. Really worth while, and Doyle said he preferred the George Challenger character to Holmes, despite the popularity of the latter. Also, definately read The Maneaters of Tsavo, if you haven't already. It is made all the better by being true. The Peter Capstick Library edition is an exact reprint of the original, which even makes it more fun to read.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Kodiak said:
...PS- is the Orvis too small for you too?

...King Solomon's Mines is the best adventure book ever written. Period. End of story. I've never seen the movie though. Is it available on DVD?
Orvis, I don't know; I haven't bought it yet. I am 6'2" and 200 with a 44" chest. I would hope they would fit me.

And yes, Stewart Granger's version of "King Solomon's..." is on DVD. I watch mine often. It was about $10 at deepdiscountdvd with free shipping.

Lancealot

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
I'm not familiar with his writings, but I do use his lip balm. ;)]

The Maneaters of Tsavo, if you haven't already. It is made all the better by being true. The Peter Capstick Library edition is an exact reprint of the original, which even makes it more fun to read.

What's a typo between friends. [huh]

The Maneaters of Tsavo are also covered in "Death In The Lonely Places" it's his research into either famous maneaters or famous hunter/adeventurers.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
;) I think you have to be a Brit to join. Maybe I'll email them. I'm conviced they are "officially" a pretty neato group; H. Rider Haggard was a member.

Speaking of Haggard, I would buy a collection, but the ones collected are always King Solomon's Mines, She: A History of Adventure, and some other title that varies. Unfortunately, I've already bought the first two. I have vaguely heard of Lost World, but I've never read it. Time to B&N search (I use them because I have a membership).

Hemingway... oh... please, don't hurt me ;) Where did you find KSM (Rich. Granger) for $10!?

And I'm assuming that they named the Selous area of Africa after this captain? Is a bio available that I could read up on him?

@Lancealot- She by Ridder? To you mean the one I mentioned above?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Lancealot said:
What's a typo between friends. [huh]
Well, persnoally I nevr make typoes, so I cant' say. lol I've gone back and seen some of my fat-fingered posts and just had to laugh. I use the Columbus typing method: find a key and land on it, so I depend heavily on spellcheck and proofreading!

Byron Khun de Prorok is another adventurer I like to read. He traveled all over North Africa, and though he was basically a looter, most archaeologists of the time were, so I don't hold it against him. I think he's been criticized for inflating his adventures a bit, and giving himself more credit than due, but he's a good writer and his books are excellent. He also took a lot of pictures, so his books are pretty well illustrated.

Narrative-CountByron.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk