Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Lancealot said:
@Lancealot- She by Ridder? To you mean the one I mentioned above?

That's the one. I meant to type Haggard. Sorry it's been a long day[/QUOTE]

No worries. That was my first from Haggard, actually.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Serial Hero said:
Another good book for inspiration:
Dragon Hunter: Roy Chapman Andrews and the Central Asiatic Expeditions

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0142000760
That is a great book. Really well written and a real page turner. I loved the story about Andrews encountering the bandits while driving through a canyon. He saw a reflection off a gun barrel or piece of gear of the scout at the rim of the canyon, and knew that the main party of bandits was waiting at the end to bushwhack him. So he just pulled out his Colt and stepped on the gas. He came flying out of the end of the canyon, and caught the bandits by surpise with his .45 blazing over the windshield of the Dodge! Now that's the spirit!

Nick Charles said:
Orvis Safari Jacket(hopefully)
Nick, I was looking on Orvis for their jacket for the Elusive Safari Jacket thread, and found that they aren't (currently) offering one! I was just about to sing the praises of mine, too. Flitcraft mentioned the Kevin's jacket, though, a company I had totally forgotten about. Still not offered in a Tall, however.

By the way, how about a few pics of the abovementioned gear?!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
The stuff hasn't arrived yet. Just bought the pants 8/17 helmet today shirt8/19 and the jacket is better keep that to me until its mine. Boots are from sportsmans guide.

68277m3_ts.JPG

When they are all here I'll snap a couple of shots.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
The stuff hasn't arrived yet. Just bought the pants 8/17 helmet today shirt8/19 and the jacket is better keep that to me until its mine. Boots are from sportsmans guide.

68277m3_ts.JPG

When they are all here I'll snap a couple of shots.
Check! Good luck!

I look forward to your review of the Bill's Khakis and the Orvis shirt. I've eyed that shirt several times, but it doesn't come in a tall. Plus I get the usual from the wife, "That shirt looks just like all your others!" She just doesn't get the subtlety of it all!

Those boots look good, too. They look like WWII Army service boots, just in a slightly different color. The sole looks spot on. Good price?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Those are great photos, SH! Thanks for posting those! Times have really changed, though. If anybody sat on the edge of a unit with their foot up like that guy at the Starved Rock dig, they'd most likely get stuck with a sharp trowel these days! And why the heck are they using their screen in the unit?!

I'm going to be in Ann Arbor next week, and I haven't been to the Kelsey in years. I may have to swing by while I'm in town...and stop by Ashley's next door for a beer afterwards. Ummm. Newcastle on tap. :beer:

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Dragon Hunter is soon to be on the list of texts for me to consume.

Nick- thanks for that link. Here's a simple enough question: what color should I go for? I think pesos would be too much...

Well, when a jacket and my hat gets here, I will take pics for you all. Thanks for the help.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Kodiak, if you like the look of the Corcoran jump boots, you might consider these.

M43341_Brown.jpg

Given that you're in Kentucky, the Goretex might be a nice feature, which the Corcoran's don't sport. They're also LL Bean, so they're guaranteed for life.

Add to that the fact that they are made from kangaroo leather, and well, they have adventure written all over them!

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Maybe not....

Kodiak said:
;) I think you have to be a Brit to join. Maybe I'll email them. I'm conviced they are "officially" a pretty neato group; H. Rider Haggard was a member.

I found this while looking at info from their centenary parade:

Following the Centenary Conference of the Frontiersmen on Saturday 23rd April 2005, a Centennial Service was held at the Church of St. Botolph Without Bishopsgate, London on the following day at 2 p.m. by kind permission of the Rector. In attendance was the Patron of the Legion of Frontiersmen (Countess Mountbatten's Own), The Countess Mountbatten. Mounted Frontiersmen from Britain and Canada had ridden through London from the Royal Mews and led a march of the Frontiersmen through the City of London to the Guildhall Yard, where the Colours were Trooped and the Parade inspected by The Countess Mountbatten. Here are some photographs of this historical and inspiring day. More photographs of the event will be added in due course. In attendance were Frontiersmen from very many countries including Canada, Australia, New Zealand, The United States of America and Portugal. An organisation founded one hundred years ago due to the patriotism and community spirit of one man, Roger Pocock, has proved its worth and continues to do so.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
@Mojave- thanks for that link. These aren't all that much more than the Corcoran boots I was going to get, so I might just buy them instead. The only thing I don't like is the canvas inserts, but that isn't too bad. The Goretex would be nice.

As far as those Frontiersmen go, I've read some more on them, and they are really more of a ceremonial unit now. Their most recent pictures showed them helping old guys into cars, when the frontiersman looked older than the guy that needed help :eusa_doh:

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Don't forget rain gear.

I personally recommend the Driza Bone long riding coat or some equivalent oilskin duster.

Driza Bone and several other vendors make oilskin hats.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Nice jacket Mr. Charles. Any chance that's my size? :eusa_doh:

Mad Hatter... I've thought about rain gear but I'm really not out in it enough to merit buying such a jacket just yet. Hat, boots and safari jacket are higher up on the list, so to speak.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
OK I'd have to say if youa re a 7 1/4 or smaller head size and want a pith helmet Go to the Village Hat shop and get the Wolseley Pith. It says they run small and the is only a little room but they will 7-7 1/4 great. Mine just came and the little adjuster is all the way to the end. If I cut it and sew them together it would look like it was sized for me. Light weight and good quality.
my 2 cents.

Doug C

Practically Family
That's a couple of cool pictures Ken - and this brings another adventure gear item to mind. I know this thread is about gear you wear but I'd also like to find a vintage (or repro) canvas tent for back by the pool. I'd probably leave it up during the warm months. I'm talking about like a safari sized number, not a pup-tent. Maybe fill it with safari furniture. Thing is, I don't know the first thing about what to look for from the Army/Navy store tents and nobody ever seems very interested in helping at those places.

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko