Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
Its the Ruger Vaquero I can't afford yet!:rage: :(

;)

Viola

If you aren't agin' taking "baby steps" you can get into a used Uberti for less than half the cost of that Ruger.

It'll handle all but the "Ruger-only" .45 Colt loads and any people or animals in your vicinity. Better more shooting sooner than less shooting later, that's my motto. :D

There's always time to trade up when resources permit.

But this isn't a gun forum. (my natural habitat)

J

JohnTheGreek

Nick Charles said:
I'd go with much of the same stuff as the men. High boots, ridiing pants, maybe a more feminine shirt silk or gaberdine instead of wool or cotton duck. Pith helmut or wide brim hat. Like this

m198512570416.jpg

What a woman that Osa Johnson ! ! !
Not sure they make 'em like that any more...

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Book

Safari, A Chronicle of adventure

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Chroni...=pd_bbs_5/002-8797515-9247242?ie=UTF8&s=books

It just arrived in the mail. From flipping through it, I can say it looks great. It’s the history of African safaris from the 1830’s to the present. Tons of period photos and drawings (from the days before the camera). It describes clothing, gear and guns. There’s also a chapter on classic films and Hemmingway.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Serial Hero said:
Safari, A Chronicle of adventure

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Chroni...=pd_bbs_5/002-8797515-9247242?ie=UTF8&s=books

It just arrived in the mail. From flipping through it, I can say it looks great. It’s the history of African safaris from the 1830’s to the present. Tons of period photos and drawings (from the days before the camera). It describes clothing, gear and guns. There’s also a chapter on classic films and Hemmingway.

Looks excellent. I just put a copy on hold at the library.

I just finished reading Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger. Not safari, but an incredible account of the trips he took crisscrossing the Rub al Khali (The Empty Quarter) in the Arabian Peninsula. This is Exploration with a capital "E". It would seem tough to make endless days on a camel across open desert interesting, but Thesiger does it very well. Highly recommended.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Need advice

Hey everyone,
I just picked up one of these L.L. Bean waxed canvas rucksacks (gotta love gift certificates). Overall it's a nice pack and has a vintage look to it. Except...
Rucksack.jpg

The entire back panel is made from black nylon mesh & foam. Rather than a matching canvas or perhaps leather, this modern synthetic material really turns me off. I don't know if it is possible, but can the back be replaced with something more vintage looking, e.g. leather or canvas? If so, who would I go to for alterations? The other options are bite the bullet and deal with the non-vintage aspects of the pack, or return it to L.L. Bean.

carebear

Mike K. said:
The entire back panel is made from black nylon mesh & foam. Rather than a matching canvas or perhaps leather, this modern synthetic material really turns me off. I don't know if it is possible, but can the back be replaced with something more vintage looking, e.g. leather or canvas? If so, who would I go to for alterations? The other options are bite the bullet and deal with the non-vintage aspects of the pack, or return it to L.L. Bean.

Remember, our forebearers, the ones who actually used that stuff, would have killed for modern fabrics and such.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Hey everyone,
I just picked up one of these L.L. Bean waxed canvas rucksacks (gotta love gift certificates). Overall it's a nice pack and has a vintage look to it. Except...
Rucksack.jpg

Mike, I had that pack for a relatively short time, too. I'm not so turned off by the back panel, but the zippered pockets really were a pain, plus the organizer pocket in the flap was just about useless. I just didn't think it was a good blend of modern convenience and vintage look and feel. The synthetic sheepskin strap padding didn't help matters! Overall I was disappointed. It seems like if you want more than a big canvas sack like a true vintage pack (e.g., Duluth Pack, Frost River, or the ubiquitous surplus Swiss salt-and-pepper rucksack), you have to go with a modern pack, nylon, dayglo colors, and all.

Twitch

Since my last adventurer outting was with the Marine Corps and it became a little too exciting:) I recently found an article of clothing that is quite flexible in use. I found an L.L. Bean vest at the thrift store for $3 in virtually new condition. These things are very handy. You see photojournalists in them when they're on assignment in the field. There are various branded styles on the same theme but the end result is the same- lots of pockets. It's light in weight and not meant for warmth. It goes with almost any other garb, mine is tan. They're great for travelers, full of zippered and Velcroed pockets to keep passports and valuables in.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Twitch said:
Since my last adventurer outting was with the Marine Corps and it became a little too exciting:) I recently found an article of clothing that is quite flexible in use. I found an L.L. Bean vest at the thrift store for $3 in virtually new condition. These things are very handy. You see photojournalists in them when they're on assignment in the field. There are various branded styles on the same theme but the end result is the same- lots of pockets. It's light in weight and not meant for warmth. It goes with almost any other garb, mine is tan. They're great for travelers, full of zippered and Velcroed pockets to keep passports and valuables in.
I use a vest in the field a lot, too, and find them very handy. Mine is an Eddie Bauer vest that has multiple pockets, but not too many. I've found that I really don't like the zipper, though. Especially here in the desert it is a little too constrictive. I'd rather have buttons that I can fasten just one to provide a little more air circulation. I like the Working Man vest offered by Duluth Trading, though on their summer weight version they put a zipper. D'oh!

I'm also intrigued by their Moleskin Vest for cooler times of the year, but at $89 I doubt I'll pick one up. If I'm going to spend that I'll just buy a Filson.

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
I'm also intrigued by their Moleskin Vest for cooler times of the year, but at $89 I doubt I'll pick one up. If I'm going to spend that I'll just buy a Filson.

I've never been very fond of the way Filson cut their moleskin vest, but they recently added a Mackinaw Wool Western Vest that looks interesting. I've been thinking of getting one for when cooler weather finally arrives here. I tried it on at my local Orvis store and liked the way it fit. But I won't buy direct from Filson or from Orvis, as I can get it $10 cheaper at David Morgan.

Cheers!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hello friends,
A new Lounge member, Havana Joe, just posted some nice pics of his adventuring gear in The Steamer Trunk. It has certainly inspired me to photograph my collection. While this thread remains the definitive place to discuss adventuring gear, we should all do a little 'show-n-tell' by posting some pics in The Steamer Trunk don't you think?!
Cheers,
Mike
;)

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Thought I'd give this a bump and show some new things in the new orvis catalog.

Twill explorers Jacket

06TXL6PB_lg.jpg

Drill cloth shooting jacket

21RXR6XB_lg.jpg

Amphibious Trench

08APL6PB_lg.jpg

Lambskin munitions jacket

10GCL6HH_lg.jpg

and finally the Navy seal boots are back

76E2L5SB_lg.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I've had a pair of the Seal boots for years (variously called Israeli Commando Boots, French Foreign Legion boots, etc.), but they are a different brand than the Palladiums. I bought a pair of the Palladiums from Orvis last spring, but they were disintegrating after only about a month of wear. I don't think I'm that much harder on footwear than your average archaeologist, but they just couldn't hold up. The sole was coming off along the sides of the boot, and big chunks were coming off the sole. It's a pity because they are absolutely perfect for wear out here. In fact, I still wear my seven- or eight-year-old threadbare pair regularly in the warmer months. They're light, comfortable, have good traction, and are tall enough to keep out the sand. I did once have a guy in Riverside ask me why I was wearing wading boots, though! :eusa_doh:

Incidently, Brigade Quartermasters has the Scorpion boot, which is very similar. I had a pair of those, too, but they weren't as comfortable and I didn't like the black sole on a desert tan boot. The top collar attaches with a zipper, which is a really awkward arrangement. I ended up sending those back, too. Jeez, I'm a picky SOB, aren't I?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I wish I knew! I got them from some little surplus store or something and they were about $20. After wearing them non-stop every summer since, I've recently worn a hole through the heel of one of them. Right at the sole, so there's no way to fix it. The Palladiums from Orvis were an attempt to replace them. I shoulda bought 5 pairs back in '98 or '99!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I know the ones Jack is refering to, in the 90's they all over in catalog, like US Calvary and Sportsman Guide. They all called them Isreali Commando Boots. or French Foreighn Legion boots depending on wher you looked. I really wanted a pair in Khaki but never go around to it and now its too late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112