Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If they were the ones I remember it was like wearing knobby-soled Chucks.

I've been wearing the new rough out issue boot since I got out. That's a comfy fit too. I miss my salty jungle boots though. Got stolen in Thailand.

Who the heck in Thailand wears a 10W?

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
Nick Charles said:
Wolsely Pith, LL Bean shirt, Orvis Jacket and Bills Ghurka Pants with the chippewa boots ffrom Sportsmansguide.

Great look - and really done well, Nick. The Orvis jacket looks almost exactly like the Abercrombie and Fitch safari jacket I picked up a few years ago off Ebay. The only think that is missing from the outfit is an ascot (although that may not be your "thing", as it were).

Well done.:eusa_clap

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
carebear said:
If they were the ones I remember it was like wearing knobby-soled Chucks.

I've been wearing the new rough out issue boot since I got out. That's a comfy fit too. I miss my salty jungle boots though. Got stolen in Thailand.

Who the heck in Thailand wears a 10W?
They are like knobby solded Chucks! Very comfortable, and perfect for light duty in the desert.

Carebear, are you wearing the Gulf War issue roughouts, or the new ones? The new roughouts have always felt clunky to me. They make me feel like I'm wearing smaller versions of bunny boots. I much prefer my Gulf War era desert boots. Thankfully they're still available direct from Altama.

The older jungle boots were great, too, but when they went to the black canvas they alwasy made my heels hurt. They must have changed vendors, and when 12th Group was disbanded I ended up with about four pairs. Every pair hurt like heck and would never break in.

Were your boots in Thailand unsecured? Gear adrift is a gift!

carebear

Mojave Jack said:
They are like knobby solded Chucks! Very comfortable, and perfect for light duty in the desert.

Carebear, are you wearing the Gulf War issue roughouts, or the new ones? The new roughouts have always felt clunky to me. They make me feel like I'm wearing smaller versions of bunny boots. I much prefer my Gulf War era desert boots. Thankfully they're still available direct from Altama.

The older jungle boots were great, too, but when they went to the black canvas they alwasy made my heels hurt. They must have changed vendors, and when 12th Group was disbanded I ended up with about four pairs. Every pair hurt like heck and would never break in.

Were your boots in Thailand unsecured? Gear adrift is a gift!

The newer ones that were issued with the MARPAT, I never did get any of the orig. desert boots.

My jungles were under my rack while I was in town, they weren't secured but they weren't just strewn about.

The black jungles always dug into the outside of my foot where the panels came together.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Havana Joe said:
Hey Mojave,

Tried to PM you but couldn't.

Great hat! Where'd you get it? I've been looking for one like it.

Thankls!!!

Havana Joe
Hey, Joe! One more post and you'll be able to PM.

Thanks for the compliment! Do you mean the hat in my avatar? It is an Australian issue slouch. I got it about 8 years ago, before I started learning about the value of different and better felts. Art blocked it like Robert Redford's in Out of Africa, and he told me it is some wool/fur blend. I wear it a lot now that it's cooler (a lot cooler today; it's snowing! In the desert!!), but I avoid it completely in anything over about 60 degrees. If I am exerting myself at all, it is just too hot. I plan to replace it with an Akubra Imperial Grade slouch sometime. It's still one of my favorites, and stays on my head better than my Akubra Flinders if it is windy, which is every other day here!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nothing new to add, but a new question to ask. I happened to catch Romancing the Stone, and realized that Michael Douglas' pack is very similar to what I've been looking for. Can anybody get some good screen grabs of that? I'm thinking the Frost River Nessmuk pack is pretty close.
840_Nessmuk.gif

I might just have to get one of these and check it out.

carebear

John in Covina said:
reminds me of the canvas Israeli boots.

Those canvas boots were light but the sole had no stiffness, it was like wearing Chuck Taylors. In 29 Palms, for me, they gave no padding or protection to the feet on sharp rocks or jumping on and off steel vehicles.

I preferred my jungles.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
carebear said:
Those canvas boots were light but the sole had no stiffness, it was like wearing Chuck Taylors. In 29 Palms, for me, they gave no padding or protection to the feet on sharp rocks or jumping on and off steel vehicles.

I preferred my jungles.
There's not much that can protect you from the rocks of 29 Palms! They're malicious! I had to get my J. Crew Ruggeds (Rugged! Ha!) re-soled after about 6 months out here. I think the new soles will last a bit longer.

These Israeli boots are great for casual wear with shorts here, though. They are high enough to keep most of the little rocks out, but you're right, they have zero support or sole. The soles are wearing out on my Desert Storm-era boots, too. I'm not sure what to replace them with, if I can't get them re-soled.

carebear

That lava will tear apart HMMWV tires, boots stand no chance. :eusa_doh: At least the shank on the jungles kept it from feeling like they were gonna go right through your foot.

What's the word on the new rough-out issue boot in the Stumps?

The sole, as it turns out, is not real good on ice.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
New Orvis Line

Orvis has a new line of stuff sanctioned by the African Professional Hunter's Association. Pretty nice stuff, but it ain't cheap!

I really want this vest, but $169 is a bit steep: APHA Safari Vest

The jacket is awesome, but again, a little pricey at $198: APHA Safari Jacket
I really like the concealed buttons, and the ammo pockets.

Clearly a lot of thought went into the design of these garments, but at $129 for a shirt, who is going to wear this stuff out into the bush?! I guess I'll stick with my Cabela's gear, which I'm not afraid to beat up.

Baggers

Practically Family
Steve said:
I'm sure Selous wore APHA-approved garments. :rolleyes:

He certainly did. You didn't see the full page ad in the London Illustrated News? lol

Steve said:
Personally, I think the Kalahari Safari jacket from Beretta has a better look to it, and for $50 less.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...tx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=kalahari&noImage=0

I have that jacket and almost never wear it. The fabric is too light weight for "serious" use in my opinion, and it fits like a tent. It also has the Beretta logo embroidered smack dab in the middle of the shoulder yoke in matching thread. I HATE logos. And to top it off, I had to flip the belt on mine because the buckle was on the wrong side. It was tacked in place on each side seam instead be being run through belt loops, so it wasn't as simple as you might think. I should have just sent it back, but I thought I'd give a try anyway. Very disappointing.

Now the Orvis model may be worth the price of admission. It's available in a nice dark "British" khaki, has a decent looking pocket arrangement, NO Velcro, and not too many useless "features" (I really dislike those tabs for rolling sleeves, I don't think I've ever owned a shirt or jacket that had sleeves that wouldn't stay up on their own).

My big questions are concerning the fabric. Hawthorne cloth? What is that? Poplin, twill, canvas weave? How sturdy does it seem? What's a "dry waxed" finish and does it really breathe? Also, how does the jacket fit? I may drop by the local store week after next and see if they have it so I can check it out in person.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I couldn't agree with you more on the sleeve tabs, Baggers! Somewhere along the line that became de rigeur for all outdoors shirts and jackets, but really, who needs them? Most often they are more of a pain because the sleeves never roll up to hit that tab just right, or the tab is too low, etc. But if you try to take them off you end up with stitching holes where the tab was attached. :eusa_doh: Very annoying.

As always, I'll stand by just about anything Orvis, in terms of quality and workmanship (not necessarily on style; witness the TR leather vest :eek: ), so I'd be willing to bet the material is pretty tough. Nonetheless, I can't rationalize a $198 jacket for forcing my way through brush. I'd rather buy four disposable Cabela's jackets (though they are very lightweight) and not worry about bashing it up, staining it, or tearing it. I can always layer to make up for the weight, which generally works out better anyway.

Speaking of layering, I just scored a Filson vest for $29 on ebay. The description doesn't say if it's moleskin or canvas, just that it's cotton. I'm looking forward to getting it, either way.

Steve

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
I couldn't agree with you more on the sleeve tabs, Baggers! Somewhere along the line that became de rigeur for all outdoors shirts and jackets, but really, who needs them? Most often they are more of a pain because the sleeves never roll up to hit that tab just right, or the tab is too low, etc. But if you try to take them off you end up with stitching holes where the tab was attached. :eusa_doh: Very annoying.
On that, I beg to differ sir. My TravelSmith bush jacket, (the one from my New Years photos,) functions perfectly in that respect. It's it a great help for the humid clime in my area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch