Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Baggers

Practically Family
Steve said:
On that, I beg to differ sir. My TravelSmith bush jacket, (the one from my New Years photos,) functions perfectly in that respect. It's it a great help for the humid clime in my area.

Then you may be one of the few on which they're positioned perfectly for the length of your arms. Also, you may not mind a less than military style roll. If I can speak for Mojave, I think the problem that he and I have is that I (we) prefer a nice tight, even fold without wrinkles, and which hits just above the elbow so that the lower end doesn't touch the forearm when it's bent at a 90 degree angle to the upper arm. The tabs on mine almost never let me accomplish that, and I have to make two or three tries at rolling it before I'm satisfied. It's much easier to do when one doesn't have to account for the tab when calculating the width of the folds. The only folks I know who have it harder are Army troops who have to contend with folding the BDU/ACU sleeve with enough of the cuff left over to fold over the rolled part so that the reverse, uncamouflaged, side is covered. I've never been able to get the hang of that! The Marines were very smart not to adopt that annoyance. :)

Also, when the tab is loose it creates a loop that tends to catch on every little projection that man or nature puts in our way! lol

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
Then you may be one of the few on which they're positioned perfectly for the length of your arms. Also, you may not mind a less than military style roll. If I can speak for Mojave, I think the problem that he and I have is that I (we) prefer a nice tight, even fold without wrinkles, and which hits just above the elbow so that the lower end doesn't touch the forearm when it's bent at a 90 degree angle to the upper arm. The tabs on mine almost never let me accomplish that, and I have to make two or three tries at rolling it before I'm satisfied. It's much easier to do when one doesn't have to account for the tab when calculating the width of the folds. The only folks I know who have it harder are Army troops who have to contend with folding the BDU/ACU sleeve with enough of the cuff left over to fold over the rolled part so that the reverse, uncamouflaged, side is covered. I've never been able to get the hang of that! The Marines were very smart not to adopt that annoyance. :)

Also, when the tab is loose it creates a loop that tends to catch on every little projection that man or nature puts in our way! lol

Cheers!
Quite right! Both on the desire for an even, wrinkless roll, and getting that military sleeve roll just right. I like my Cabela's shirts, but none of them have the sleever tab int he right place. I found on a couple fo them that I have to fold the cuff in half to make the roll come out right, and then it sits right in the crook of the elbow. Another one I have to fold the cuff about 3/4 back to get the roll to work right. The thing I really find annoying about those tabs is that they never seem to lay flat when the sleeves are down, or always seem to be right under your elbow when you lean on a counter or something.

The Army/Air Force roll is challenging at first, but after a while it becomes second nature. The real advantage to that roll, though, is that you can pull the sleeves down, literally, in about a second each. It was originally intended for use in case of an NBC attack (now CRBNE: Chemical, Radiological, Biological, Nuclear and Explosive attack) to allow quick deployment of the sleeves. It is equally convenient, though, when it gets chilly and you want your sleeves down or when you are tossing the uniform into the wash! No need to take off the shirt; just a tug and boom the sleeves are down. When I was in the Marine Corps we laughed at the Army, thinking that they just did that so the sleeve roll was camoflaged, too. Not until I got into the Air Force did I find out what it was really for, and how good it works. I now know just where to put the end of the sleeve when I turn it inside out so that it will roll perfectly. It comes out to about an inch above my stripes, and the roll comes out great.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Okay, when can we turn this thread into its own distinct forum in the Fedora Lounge?!

Hey everybody, I just returned from a brief shopping trip to Target and discovered that they have some rather nice adventuring shirts. The shirts are military-inspired, very light weight cotton and come in khaki, olive, white, and black. Pockets are pleated (the correct way, not the inverted pleat) and have the coveted SCALLOPED flaps reminiscent of old-style safari shirts. Straight point collar, perhaps a little spread. There are two bands on each shoulder, similar to those found on some military shirts for the attachment of rank boards. My size medium fits well, not oversized but not too trim either. The sleeves are around 33 inches, appropriate for a size 38-40 shirt, but a bit too short for me. But who cares, it's a summer weight shirt and the sleeves should be rolled up anyway to achieve the rough and adventurous look!

All I need now is that Rigby double rifle! lol

DSC_0018.jpg

Kodiak

A-List Customer
How much did that shirt run you Mike?

Comparable to Cabelas, maybe? Or was that one more/less expensive?

It looks pretty good, so I might have to make the drive into the big city and get one ;)

Mike K. said:
Hey everybody, I just returned from a brief shopping trip to Target and discovered that they have some rather nice adventuring shirts. The shirts are military-inspired, very light weight cotton and come in khaki, olive, white, and black. Pockets are pleated (the correct way, not the inverted pleat) and have the coveted SCALLOPED flaps reminiscent of old-style safari shirts. Straight point collar, perhaps a little spread. There are two bands on each shoulder, similar to those found on some military shirts for the attachment of rank boards. My size medium fits well, not oversized but not too trim either. The sleeves are around 33 inches, appropriate for a size 38-40 shirt, but a bit too short for me. But who cares, it's a summer weight shirt and the sleeves should be rolled up anyway to achieve the rough and adventurous look! All I need now is that Rigby double rifle! lol
DSC_0018.jpg

I'll have to take a look maybe they'l have some 2XL. Any short sleeved ones? My friends have always had good luck with hiking shorts from Target.

Mike K.

One Too Many
They run about $20 and are stocked in the typical S-XL, perhaps with some larger sizes too (I don't recall). The fabric weight is on par with Cabela's cotton trail shirts - very light and airy. This one has a finer weave, and to me, has more the look and feel of Egyptian cotton. No short sleeve versions. Target also has a half-placket outdoorsy shirt in a jersey knit. I don't recall seeing these shirts on the Target website so if your store doesn't carry them, let me know and I'll pick one up for you and mail it.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Mike K. said:
They run about $20 and are stocked in the typical S-XL, perhaps with some larger sizes too (I don't recall). The fabric weight is on par with Cabela's cotton trail shirts - very light and airy. This one has a finer weave, and to me, has more the look and feel of Egyptian cotton. No short sleeve versions. Target also has a half-placket outdoorsy shirt in a jersey knit. I don't recall seeing these shirts on the Target website so if your store doesn't carry them, let me know and I'll pick one up for you and mail it.

So... a tad bit cheaper than Cabelas! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I agree with the Egyptian cotton look. I'll probably go with one in roughly the same color. I just hope they have my size small stocked. Sometimes I hate being a little guy.

And if they don't have it... I might have to take you up on the offer Mike :D

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Mike K. said:
Hey everybody, I just returned from a brief shopping trip to Target and discovered that they have some rather nice adventuring shirts. The shirts are military-inspired, very light weight cotton and come in khaki, olive, white, and black. Pockets are pleated (the correct way, not the inverted pleat) and have the coveted SCALLOPED flaps reminiscent of old-style safari shirts. Straight point collar, perhaps a little spread. There are two bands on each shoulder, similar to those found on some military shirts for the attachment of rank boards. My size medium fits well, not oversized but not too trim either. The sleeves are around 33 inches, appropriate for a size 38-40 shirt, but a bit too short for me. But who cares, it's a summer weight shirt and the sleeves should be rolled up anyway to achieve the rough and adventurous look!

All I need now is that Rigby double rifle! lol

DSC_0018.jpg

I picked one up in olive couple of weeks ago. Nice shirt...for under $20 it's going to be hard to beat.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Thanks for the tip, Mike! I tried one but alas, the sleeves, again! Oh, well.

I'm still looking for that white safari style shirt, but no luck. I'm considering just having one made, but I just can't rationalize about $80 for a white shirt I'll beat up! There's got to be one out there somewhere in a tall (and not in polyester). I've even tried lookig for a security guard shirt, since they have a lot of the features, but the darn things are all polyester. Uggh!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
If anyone is looking for a tough pair of boots...

...try these monsters:

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.co...tore_Code=MSS&Product_Code=086810&Category_Co

They're French surplus similar to WW2 M43 double buckle boots. You can either keep the cuff or cut it off above the seventh eyelet like I did.
You can waterproof them by either putting 'dubbing' on them or putting several coats of olive oil on the leather. I used the olive oil and it also loosens them up a bit, it is very stiff leather and will take a while to break in but it is well worth it. The leather is roughout. They will last you a lifetime.
Here is a picture of mine (I cut off the lugs on the sole and also the cuff at the top so I can reenact with them):
n110800350_30116229_7144.jpg

Cheers,
Billy

Viola

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
I'll have to take a look maybe they'l have some 2XL. Any short sleeved ones? My friends have always had good luck with hiking shorts from Target.

I was thinking the same thing though for slightly different reason; my INSEAM isn't 33 inches.

Stupid tall people.:eusa_doh: ;)

-Viola

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
thunderw21 said:
...try these monsters:

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.co...tore_Code=MSS&Product_Code=086810&Category_Co

They're French surplus similar to WW2 M43 double buckle boots. You can either keep the cuff or cut it off above the seventh eyelet like I did.
You can waterproof them by either putting 'dubbing' on them or putting several coats of olive oil on the leather. I used the olive oil and it also loosens them up a bit, it is very stiff leather and will take a while to break in but it is well worth it. The leather is roughout. They will last you a lifetime.
Here is a picture of mine (I cut off the lugs on the sole and also the cuff at the top so I can reenact with them):
n110800350_30116229_7144.jpg

Cheers,
Billy

Do yours seem to run big or small? Are they well made? That is a remarkable price...

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
I was thinking the same thing though for slightly different reason; my INSEAM isn't 33 inches.

Stupid tall people.:eusa_doh: ;)

-Viola

No reason to get short there Stumpy McDwarf. lol

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Do yours seem to run big or small? Are they well made? That is a remarkable price...

I ordered the largest size they had, size 12, and they fit me well (I wear size 12). They are extremely well made. They were made in the late 1950s, early 1960s so quality isn't an issue. The only problem is that they take a long time to break them in. I've had mine for over a year and they still aren't broken in, close though (plus, I haven't worn them a great deal until a month ago). Olive oil works great for water proofing, it doesn't clog the pores like other oils and loosens and darkens the leather. I've slogged through deep puddles all day in these and my feet stayed dry.
As for Majors Surplus, they're a good business. Customer service was friendly. It took a month to get the boots but that may have been the shipping company and they were well worth the wait.
They are quality boots for a great price and will last forever (I have a feeling these are going to be with me for the rest of my life, no joke).
Billy

p.s. And boy are they heavy. I get a workout everytime I wear them.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Kodiak said:
Does that link not work for anybody else? For some reason it is screwed up when I click.

Another member contacted me and said they are sold out. Strange since they restocked them just a couple months ago. They must have sold fast.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
Another member contacted me and said they are sold out. Strange since they restocked them just a couple months ago. They must have sold fast.
Drat! I moved too slow! Cursed government computer! Imagine blocking the Lounge! I suppose they expect me to work while I'm there now! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider