Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Just finished these boots for someone and, though they are a bank-buster compared to that super deal posted above, thought you guys would like to see them:

mc-explorer-lg1.jpg
mc-explorer-lg2.jpg

Alternatively, they can be made with low-profile lugs, flat rubber of standard leather soles. Let me know what you think of them.

Kind regards,
Indy

Mark G

A-List Customer
Mike K turned me on to this thread. I've been to quite a few places in Kenya and Tanzania and the thing that surprised me is how pedestrian everyone looked on safari. A lot of very cheap canvas hats and vests with thousands of pockets. (I admit I own one too). The picture is of my wife and myself on a horse back safari in Ndarakwai, Tanzania. I apologize for the henley, I had an appropriate shirt, but as the temp went up, the shirt was history. After traveling light I have decided to go higher tech on my next trip. The modern fabrics seem to hold up better on repeated wearings. I'm still looking for a pair of boots to replace my old Cole Hahn's so thanks for the ideas.

IMG_1186.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Great pic, Mark! You guys look so casual, what with there being an elephant and giraffes about 50 yards away. A horseback safari sounds incredible. I'd love to see more pics.

I've seen recommendations for going on safari going two directions. Half say wear the khaki safari-type gear because it was designed for those conditions and is what works. The other half say don't wear them because the locals hate that look due to the colonial overtones. What was your experience gear-wise?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
New Boots and Puttees...

Greetings all-
I'm back from the Antipodes, The Gilf Kebir and Shanghai...

Puttees- no... but russet Paddock boots, a pair of WW1 pigskin boot-gaiters and a similar vintage canvas pair...

DSCN3467.jpg

DSCN3465.jpg

The boots were $40-something off of eBay.

BAGGERS! you may notice the British, brown leather chinstrap on the Hermann cap...
I have a spare(NOS), if you are in need.

DSCN3468.jpg

My own, custom Safari hat attempt. The Lawrance Pug will no doubt make way for a home folded linen job- or maybe that strip of Cheetah skin I have lurking... grrrr....

DSCN3470.jpg

Other recent and relevant acquisitions from the Empires...

Enfield bandolier, Boer War and WW1 vintage belts, 1937 dated (NOS)Italian Sahariana jacket/bush shirt, WW1 pocketwatch and '30s Sola Topee.

****Speaking of General Adventurer Threads...

...Check out my '30s Alpine ensemble here...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=297077#post297077

Regards,

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Sahariana...

More of the 1937 Sahariana jacket/bush shirt...

Sorry about the blurry- trying to avoid using flash, in order to preserve colour.

DSCN3473.jpg

DSCN3474.jpg

This Sahariana fits me!
It has very high armholes and narrow sleeves- the cloth is a very tightly woven cotton Sateen, rather than normal twill/drill.
The buttons are flat, shanked brown plastic.

I like it.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
More ensembles to come...

...YES-

More Khaki... and yet more Khaki...

I have some time on my hands over the next few days, so will be able to take more pics of my junk- a mixture of true vintage and cunningly crafted fancies...

And maybe a vintage rucksack exposE... I have more than a few now.

Watch this space- or remind me... should I become side-tracked.

B
T

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Safari Jacket

BellyTank said:

Sorry about the blurry- trying to avoid using flash, in order to preserve colour.

DSCN3473.jpg

DSCN3474.jpg

This Sahariana fits me!
It has very high armholes and narrow sleeves- the cloth is a very tightly woven cotton Sateen, rather than normal twill/drill.

I like it.

B
T

Attention MojaveJ : this is almost the one I had made in BKK from the Indian Khaki cloth matching an Aussie/UK jacket. The Italian styling in this one is superior but the belt across the waist is a poor relation.

Speedster

Practically Family
BellyTank said:

DSCN3473.jpg

DSCN3474.jpg

This Sahariana fits me!

I like it.

B
T

This is very, very cool BT. The Sahariana, isn't that the Italian M40 Tropical jacket?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
Attention MojaveJ : this is almost the one I had made in BKK from the Indian Khaki cloth matching an Aussie/UK jacket. The Italian styling in this one is superior but the belt across the waist is a poor relation.

Sorry-
exactly what's a poor relation..? belt..? referring to my one, or your one..?

Please clarify-

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
need some info on that (pink) shirt, M. Tank.

bk

"That Pink shirt" is yet another repro- this time, from a German vendor.
It's an interpretation of a Luftwaffe tropical shirt- and it's the nicest example I've seen, with the best styling and detailing. Nice pointy collar, brown metal buttons and the cloth is like... coton/linen/homespun style. After seeing so-so many so-so copies with the vintage styling totally lost on 21st C boys, I pulled the proverbial on this one...

It does actually have a pink-ish hue about it- which is good too.

Thanks
B
K,

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff