PDA

View Full Version : What occasions for ladies suits?

Honey Doll
09-20-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm trying to expand my work wardrobe. I recently got a fabulous suit on ebay. My question is-- for what occasions other than work might a lady wear a suit?

Honey Doll

LizzieMaine
09-20-2006, 11:46 AM
I'd suggest any nice non-formal afternoon or nighttime occasion would be appropriate for a suit -- a movie, dinner at a nice restaurant, any kind of an event like that. Myself, I wear a suit on any occasion that requires an outfit dressier than a day dress, but not as formal as a gown.

jitterbugdoll
09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
I generally wear them for work (I prefer dresses on the whole), but a suit is also an appropriate day wear choice when you want to look smart and polished about town. Dressier suits can be worn after five as well (and during WWII a lot of women wore them for their weddings.)

I have some very casual summer suits as well (I tried two on just the other day--one was pique, the other seersucker), which look very tailored but not overly dressed up.

maisie
09-20-2006, 11:54 AM
I generally wear them for work (I prefer dresses on the whole), but a suit is also an appropriate day wear choice when you want to look smart and polished about town. Dressier suits can be worn after five as well (and during WWII a lot of women wore them for their weddings.)

I have some very casual summer suits as well (I tried two on just the other day--one was pique, the other seersucker), which look very tailored but not overly dressed up.

If i go out to a show or dance i definatly prefer to wear dresses, but i have to say i love those glitzy evining suits with all the beading a deatils! I also prefere 'summer suits' as i call them, they are less 'dressy' than normall suits and don't have to be worn withblouses most of the time!:D
Mentioning wedding I'm going to a 1940s wedding this weekend and will be wearing a suit there.

Daisy Buchanan
09-20-2006, 12:15 PM
I also prefer dresses, but for me it's more of a comfort thing. I've never felt all that comfortable in a suit. But, I do have a few lighter weight suits for spring and fall that I'll wear out to dinner or to a movie, or to the theater. My work requires that I wear scrubs, so any chance I have to wear something dressy I take. I'll even get all dolled up for casual Sunday brunch. I'm goint to a Red Sox game tonight, and know that the attire is very casual, but I'm still gonna wear a pretty skirt with a cardigan set.
My view, wear what you want when you want to. I'm never worried about being overdressed, but always worried about being under dressed.

jitterbugdoll
09-20-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm goint to a Red Sox game tonight, and know that the attire is very casual, but I'm still gonna wear a pretty skirt with a cardigan set.

I went to a baseball game the other night, and was told to "dress comfortably!" I wore a dress lol