Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
CharlestonBows said:
Here's from the past two days.

Day one, 11-8-07, a day mostly of law school (arguing a case in my white collar crime seminar), and a little bit of haberdashery later in the day:

Grey (Black & White) Glenurquhart Plaid with Purple Overcheck, high stance 2 button, side vent by 319 Men.

Dark gray odd vest, 4 button, Vintage.

Lt. Blue shirt, by Jack Lipson Shirtmakers (319 Men)

Purple Paisley Tie by 319 Men

White cotton pocket square.

What you can't see is my antique pocket watch, tucked in right vest pocket with chain slung to third vest button.

11-8a.jpg

11-8b.jpg

Leaning forward to take the picture somewhat discreetly, hence the back of the jacket.

And day two, casual Friday:

Tan & Crimson neated check sport coat, one button ventless by 319

Plain white cotton shirt, fly-front button placket.

Green, Crimson & Orange Bowtie, by CharlestonBows.Com

Tan tropical wool trouser, box pleated, full drape, with 2 inch cuffs.

Silk & wool pocket square, Ancient Madder, by Polo.

Dark brown shoe, strange combo of lace-up and monk-strap, Stefano Branchini (I have a thing with shoes [huh] )

11-9a.jpg

11-9b.jpg

11-9d.jpg

I love the cut on the second suit- form-fitted but still masculine.

Jovan

Suspended
Jovan said:
Light grey cotton-cashmere cardigan, light blue Oxford button down shirt, dark blue selvage jeans in a straight fit, navy canvas web belt, brown with aqua and blue diamond/argyle socks, Vans Old Skool sneakers. Going to a public blues concert downtown. :)
I ended up wearing my warm cotton twill zip up jacket and a black scarf to keep warm. Traded in the jeans, sneakers, and zip up for something dressier for late dinner. Double pleat brown nailhead trousers, black leather belt, black leather shoes, navy pea coat, vintage Brooks Brothers university tie. Take note of the first item, as you won't see me in pleats, much less reverse pleats, very often. May get pictures soon.

Riley: Great outfit, and cap. The leather bill is a nice detail.

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Here's the repetitive last few days. Variations on almost permanently wearing a turtle-neck because of sore throat and cold (and camping out at my girlfriend's for the weekend):

DSC01459.jpg
DSC01456.jpg

DSC01455.jpg
DSC01453.jpg

Skill Mill navy turtleneck
Jacket from local shop House of Scotland
J. Lindeberg denim trousers
Fifties Omega
Burberry coat
Pertini (?) loafers

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01466.jpg
DSC01465.jpg

The same watch and turtleneck
Wallis & Co tweed suit
Antonio Maurizi mock-brogues

DSC01515.jpg
DSC01518.jpg

DSC01523.jpg

Same turtleneck and suit
Loake Twyning half-brogues

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
Charleston Bowes, I can’t believe I overlooked your bow tie it’s a beaut.

Jovan, Thank you for the kind words and truly appreciated.

AlanC, your are the example of not having to always spend a fortune to look like a million bucks and if you ever get to OKC you have a standing invitation for a guided tour of Oklahoma City’s vintage and/or thrift stores.

Indy Magnoli, Thank you high praise indeed!

Lucky strike:
Luckystrike.jpg
Luckystrike1.jpg

Luckystrike2.jpg
Luckystrike3.jpg

That is classic style beyond reproach!

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Ok, so it's what I was wearing yesterday really...but that still counts right? My fella's nephew was baptized so I got to get a little gussied up and wear my very favorite hat! Most of the photos that were taken were of the baby, so here’s the only one of Ace and I…
AI11-10.jpg

I had on a black suede baby doll pumps, seamed stockings, a black knit vintage dress, rhinestone brooch, pearls, black gloves, vintage dress coat, and best of all, my hat that’s trimmed in clear rhinestones, ivory pearls, and gray beads. It sounds like a bit much for the occasion I know, but in person I think it was very appropriate...except for where I was a dork and missed a button on my coat! D'OH! :eusa_doh:
PS Sorry if the photo is too large!

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
What I wore Yesterday:
Newsboy, green, tan, and navy herringbone with a burgundy windowpane plaid overlay
Daks orange and black check shirt
Old Navy black V neck Sweater
Michael Korrs green, black, and orange glenplaid slacks
Rockport loafers, black

DSCF0004-1.jpg
DSCF0019.jpg

What I wore today:
Dobbs Golden Coach Fedora (My first non wool fedora)
Vintage grey Herringbone Vest
American Eagle blue striped shirt
Canali dark grey flannel slacks
Houndstooth black on grey socks
J & M Cellini Monkstrap Captoes, black

11nov1a.jpg
11nov10a.jpg

11novpallet.jpg

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
Well, here's me yesterday, with Amos, formerly of Zinn's diner before it went under.
L1010243.jpg

Not to derail the thread, but Zinn's Diner is gone?

I too am a diner lover. Do you have the wonderful doc made in 1993 called "Pennsyvania Diners and Other Roadside Restaurants"?

Marty M.

Vendor
The streetwise guy look.

StanleyVanBuren said:
Riley Dee -- I like how you're combining pieces from all over the spectrum and coming out with outfits that look great. Nicely done.

I agree with Stanley. Your outfits look like an extension of you. I see you and the outfit as a whole. Your mix of old and new, flawed and perfect, are right on target. Bravo.
Marty Mathis

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Riley Dee said:
AlanC, your are the example of not having to always spend a fortune to look like a million bucks and if you ever get to OKC you have a standing invitation for a guided tour of Oklahoma City’s vintage and/or thrift stores.

Thank you, RD, you're much too kind, but I would be very glad to take you up on your tour of vintage/thrift stores someday.

Lucky strike...
That is classic style beyond reproach!

Lucky always hits it out of the ballpark. My mundane pinstripe pales before his bold tweed. I don't know how soft that suit is, but it looks soft enough to sleep in.

Edward

Bartender
CharlestonBows said:
They just don't look the same. The closest thing I offer is what I call "pre-tied self tie", but thats the extent of it. Because my bows have a button enclosure (as opposed to a metal slide or hook), I just tie the bow, put a small stitch in the back, and the client can button on and off. Only upon special request, and it still has the requisite imperfection and organic flair of a 'real' bow.

That's an excellent idea... might even get more folks interested in the idea of wearing a 'real' bow tie. When I first started to attend black tie functions, I did'nt care for the look of an untied bow tie, and so as noone was going to see it untied, I figured a pre-tied was better because "you could never tie a real one so tight!) :eusa_doh: + :rolleyes: Eventually, of course, I came to appreciate the real thing and I'm starting to become very elitist about it! lol You're right, they really just don't sit the same. I was at a wedding on Saturday in the capacity of a Bridesman (essentially a male bridesmaid, dressed as the best man and groomsman). The groom wore an ivory cravat - a real one, tied with a four in hand knot. For the rest of the men, cravats were ordered to be made from the same sage green fabric (taffeta, I think) as the bridesmaids' dresses. The order was for "cravats", the expectation being that these would be the same as the groom's, but what actually arrived were a pre-tied type arrangement (two tails in front to be tied into a knot, with a neck band as you get on a pre-tied bow tie). I was able to tie them on all the boys so they looked like a regular cravat from the front - actually, they look pretty great in the photos, it was only from the back that if you looked you could see they were pre-tied, as we were wearing wing tip collared shirts. The funny thing was that it took me longer to figure out a suitable knot than it would have taken to deal with a standard cravat. Everything looked fantastic for the wedding and in the photos, it just intrigues me that the maker's conception of what a cravat is is a pre-tied design rather than a "pre-tied cravat" being a variation on the basic cravat. Exactly the same as bow ties. I suppose this is going to be even more pronounced with cravats as they are alas so rarely worn outside of wedding party attire nowadays.

And you are soooooo right - a pre-tied never has the right look. Since I went over to tying my own, I can spot a pre-tied pretty much instantly.

Riley, love that newsboy with the leather bill - any more information on that?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Today I am wearing -

• Dark forest green 40s repro trousers with white buttons
• A light sage green v-neck sweater with short puff sleeves and a bow on the V
• A white round-neck cardigan
• Black and white lace up shoes
• Black swing jacket
• Wooly gloves and scarf. Brr!
• Soon to be sporting a smell of burning from the huge fire at the Olympic site a mile or so away, as soon as I step outside and absorb it!

Marty M.

Vendor
Sounds great.

Fleur De Guerre said:
Today I am wearing -

• Dark forest green 40s repro trousers with white buttons
• A light sage green v-neck sweater with short puff sleeves and a bow on the V
• A white round-neck cardigan
• Black and white lace up shoes
• Black swing jacket
• Wooly gloves and scarf. Brr!
• Soon to be sporting a smell of burning from the huge fire at the Olympic site a mile or so away, as soon as I step outside and absorb it!

What, no picture. Bummer. Sounds great though.
Marty Mathis

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
'20s stetson derby
argyle sweatervest
black '30s tie
black "Roger Kent" wool suit jacket, dated 1952
Gray pants

IMG_3667.jpg

Not to derail the thread, but Zinn's Diner is gone?

I too am a diner lover. Do you have the wonderful doc made in 1993 called "Pennsyvania Diners and Other Roadside Restaurants"?

Zinn's is still there, but it's changed owners, names and themes. Last I was there, it was the park place diner. Amos was saved, repainted, and trucked over to where he stands today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko