Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
1930's Gloves dyed doeskin with deco design and leather tassels accent. No label.

MD_111107_005.jpg
Those gloves are FABULOUS!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GwenLake said:
Those gloves are FABULOUS!

Aren't they great? I bought them new, and used them so much they are starting to show signs of wear. I guess that's the true testament to love, eh? Just wear it down until you can't use it anymore....:eek: :D

I think I may have purchased them at a rummage or garage sale, about 15 years ago....maybe 20 years ago...

I don't know why I think this, but a $3.00 price tag keeps ringing in my head whenever I think about those gloves. Maybe that's correct, maybe it's my imagination.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Vintage Betty said:
I'm sorry, I don't remember. I do believe I've had it for over 10 years though. I had other plain snoods that I wasn't using and sold them off on ebay last year. I'm kinda sorry, because they had great packages, but they were plain hair snoods from the 1940's. However, I wasn't using them, so I figured it was better to pass them along (sigh). I'm not sure, but I think this is my last remaining snood in good condition. Hair snoods from the retro period are incredibly easy to break. Or maybe I'm just klutzy. :p

This was the first time I took this snood out of the package. If you are interested in more info, I shipped the hat and accessories back to my home to save on space in my luggage. I'd be happy to snap a picture when all the stuff arrives.

Vintage Betty

I'm just racking my brain trying to see if there's a way to duplicate the look. So pretty.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RetroBabydoll said:
I'm just racking my brain trying to see if there's a way to duplicate the look. So pretty.

Well, I know if you are willing to settle for knitted or crocheted snoods, you can easily find pearled copies. I've seen them for as little as $15, but that's not common. Just search under renaissance snoods or renaissance faire snoods. They sell quite a few styles on the internet too.

Depending on your hair length, you want to remember to buy a snood SHORTER than your current hair length. By buying a shorter snood, you will have the weight of the bottom of the last few inches or more of hair act as a nautural roll on the bottom of the snood and give a false impression of hair rolls or hair rolled on the bottom length of your hair.

The snood you see in the photo is actually quite a bit longer than my natural hair length. I used pins and gently pulled and pinned the snood up higher on my head to create the 1940's shape and length, simply guessing until it felt or looked correct. I did the whole hat/snood attachment to my head in <10 minutes, or I probably would have pulled the snood shorter than shown to get a more exaggerated effect.

Oh, and I have a very unusual faux snood/hat combo, reminiscent of the 1940's movie stars that also might work. It's crocheted and pearled. At some point, when I find it again, I'll try to remember to post it for you. But if you look at old movie stars, its a croched hat that covers the entire head starting at midpoint of the top of the head and comes to the shoulders. It covers the hair. Very glamorous.

Vintage Betty

Today we put up the Christmas decorations in the shop (I know, that retail season is upon us!) so I thought I'd go a little festive:

-- 'BlackWatch' Tartan Sport Coat
-- Cotton tonal check white shirt (by 319 Men)
-- Black tropical weight worsted trousers, flat front (by 319 Men)
-- 2.5 inch tie, black from the Madison Avenue Collection by Charleston Bows (first full line designed by yours truly ;) - shameless on the name, I know), available Nov. 19 from 319 Men & Charleston Bows
-- Two tone shoes, by Lorenzo Banfi

11-16b.jpg

11-16d.jpg

11-16e.jpg

EvenOdd

New in Town
Dressed a bit casual for Friday. Winding down the school week for Thanksgiving break. It'll be nice having a full week off.

2007-11-16_1.jpg

Tan dress shirt that doesn't fit the best. I put it on and discovered a button missing. A tie would hide it, but so would a sweater vest. Green vest by Dockers, along with a pair of Dockers chocolate brown flat front trousers.

2007-11-16_2.jpg

I had picked up a some new socks and some were argyle. I thought these tan with green and white diamonds would fit perfectly with my ensemble.

Marty M. said:
Can you post a better picture of your tie?

I'll see if I can get some better pictures of some of the ties from the line tomorrow with the shop camera (the cable to my personal one has evidently gone to the abyss).

The tie pictured is a solid black, with some subtle tonal texture (you can pick up on it in 2 & 3), giving some horizontal and veritcal surface interest. Pictured with my Zippo for size ref.; measures 2.5" at the widest.

This is what I can do for now:

madtie1.jpg

madtie2.jpg

madtie3.jpg

Kitty M

New in Town
I actually wore this last Saturday to an afternoon tea but had to wait all week for registration to post on here!

I'm very proud of the dress as I made it from a pattern in an Australian Home Journal from 1947 and did all the beading on the bust myself!

The hat is a black beret with trimmings of feathers and brooch added.

cat-1.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
Very hip, yet elegant.

CharlestonBows said:
I'll see if I can get some better pictures of some of the ties from the line tomorrow with the shop camera (the cable to my personal one has evidently gone to the abyss).

The tie pictured is a solid black, with some subtle tonal texture (you can pick up on it in 2 & 3), giving some horizontal and veritcal surface interest. Pictured with my Zippo for size ref.; measures 2.5" at the widest.

madtie3.jpg

Thanks CB. Your tie has one of the most interesting weaves I've seen. It's been a long time since I sold a tie with that sort of weave to it. It reminds me a little of the classic Silk Shantung woven ties of the early '80's. But your's is much more elegant looking. I hope that you also made it in other colors.
Marty Mathis

Marty M.

Vendor
Welcome wagon.

Kitty M said:
I actually wore this last Saturday to an afternoon tea but had to wait all week for registration to post on here!

I'm very proud of the dress as I made it from a pattern in an Australian Home Journal from 1947 and did all the beading on the bust myself!

cat-1.jpg

Pretty outfit Kitty. Welcome to the Lounge.
Marty Mathis

Kitty M said:

cat-1.jpg

I just keep waiting to hear the director yell 'cut!'. Great ensemble, great look, and great colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ