Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Brooksie

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Ahh, love all of the sharp dressed men!!

Brooksie you look lovely. That blouse is to die for! (ahem.. along with your sofa, hehe.. had to throw that in! ;) )

I can throw together some really odd stuff. Today I wore a vintage "victorian" blouse from the 80's, remember the GAP? lol! Along with mod gouchos, boots, and leather jacket. Chandy earrings and victorian brooch. Weird, I know...(we hairdressers can get away with it, right Brooks??)Nikki
2072586319_5208496698.jpg

2072584659_6bbab742e0.jpg

And I received this awesome hat from the bay today... 40's cartwheel from Gimbels!! I bought a pinstriped suit at a garage sale for $2 and always wanted to do a Titanic Rose boarding suit look with it. So tonight I tried it on just for fun. The hat isn't laying right tho, since I had my hair up too high for it.
2073376642_59267be0fd.jpg

Here I took my hair down and I'm wearing the "boarding earrings" repros.
2073373312_5d0caa91c9.jpg

Great suit and what a deal I might add... yes hairstylists can get away with a lot - you should have seen the way I dressed back in the late 80's when I used to do hair!!! Some crazy clothes and hair back then.:rolleyes:

Brooksie

Choeki

Familiar Face
Today the only thing vintage I'm wearing is a blue odd vest (which you can't see in the photo), a 1960's era "Seiko Business" watch with a leather strap (which you also can't see in the photo), and a 60's era Zero Halliburton briefcase. Otherwise, I'm wearing a suit from a US target store (Merona brand), a tie and cufflink set from the local Daiso, a pair of kevlar-lined leather gloves from Hatch, and the Mayser brand trilby with pin that I posted a closer picture of in the hat forum:

01DEC07Outfit.jpg

If anyone's wondering, I took the picture in a yakiniku restaurant parking lot after I ran an errand...

Choeki

Familiar Face
Marty M. said:
Hi Choeki. Wecome to the Lounge.
Marty Mathis

Thanks Marty! I've actually been interested in classic styling for a while now, but I only ran into this message board while searching around the AskAndy and StyleForum message boards. Japan is a little funny regarding style since men's fashion (at least business fashion) has changed very little over 50 years or so. My wardrobe currently reflects this, but I always had a penchant for cufflinks, tie bars and vintage watches at the minimum. I've only started wearing hats recently though, but I suppose it's mainly due to the fact that since not many Japanese guys are wearing fedoras and trilby hats anymore they've been on clearance for a while now at most suit stores where I live.

It also helps that I recently lost a bit of weight, which was a primary factor since I tended to look like Mr. Toht from the first Indiana Jones film if I wore a fedora before. :p

ArnoldToht.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Choeki said:
Today the only thing vintage I'm wearing is a blue odd vest (which you can't see in the photo), a 1960's era "Seiko Business" watch with a leather strap (which you also can't see in the photo), and a 60's era Zero Halliburton briefcase. Otherwise, I'm wearing a suit from a US target store (Merona brand), a tie and cufflink set from the local Daiso, a pair of kevlar-lined leather gloves from Hatch, and the Mayser brand trilby with pin that I posted a closer picture of in the hat forum:

01DEC07Outfit.jpg

If anyone's wondering, I took the picture in a yakiniku restaurant parking lot after I ran an errand...

Welcome to the Lounge, Choeki!
I like the trilby and the picture of the pin you posted on another thread.
That's a very nice Zero Halliburton case!
It will be fascinating to see your postings from Japan. You're going to have a lot to offer to the other members of the Lounge.
Carter

Jovan

Suspended
Choeki said:

01DEC07Outfit.jpg

This shows that style can be had for a low price. The suit isn't perfectly fitted or anything, but the fact that you put thought into wearing a pocket square, trilby, and leather gloves like that makes all the difference. The shirt and tie look well chosen, too.

That said, greetings from the other side of the world! I'm envious of your location.

Choeki

Familiar Face
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Empyrium said:
nice outfit! 日本のどこに住んでいるでしょうか。。。

Thanks! 私は千葉県に住んでいます。 あなたは…?

By the way, is that Dae Jo Yong in your avatar?

Jovan said:
This shows that style can be had for a low price. The suit isn't perfectly fitted or anything, but the fact that you put thought into wearing a pocket square, trilby, and leather gloves like that makes all the difference. The shirt and tie look well chosen, too.

That said, greetings from the other side of the world! I'm envious of your location.

Yeah, I've just had it pointed out to me by a few friends of mine that the majority of my suits are fitted incorrectly. Part of the reason is because my body type is not well suited to off-the-rack wear for US clothes, but the better part of the reason was ignorance on my part. As far as I've been instructed so far, the sleeves are supposed to show a portion of the shirt cuffs (a little under 1cm when at rest) and the coat is supposed to end at the root of the fingers of the hand - which makes this particular suit coat waaay too long. However, it's a 42R...

Anyhoo, I suppose I'm in luck since suits for the rank and file are super cheap in Japan. However, it took a while to slim down enough to fit into the Japanese off-the-rack stuff that goes for around $100 USD. They've been wearing the same type of suits here and requiring everyone to wear them for office jobs so there's a huge market for rather advanced synthetic blends and other unusual adaptations for reasons of durability, cost and presentation.

On the other hand, it's difficult to make a living wage here outside of being employed in a foreign corporation so I may have to return to the US from here a couple of years shy of a decade...

Choeki

Familiar Face
Today's outfit

Today is a rainy day where I am in Japan, but luckily it's not humid. It's my brown shoe and gold jewelry day, so I wore an outfit that matched the shoes:

03DEC07-outfit01.jpg

As usual the jacket and sleeves are too long, but I'm working on my tailoring skills on another project (which I'll post later) so that I can fix all my suits. Nevertheless, the suit is a "TravelSmith" brand polyester suit purchased about 8-years ago from their catalog (with many secret pockets and zippers). I'm wearing blue braces with brown leather tabs (which you can't see) and a Pied de Poule tweed vest I made from a too-small jacket, along with a tie and pocket square from the Daiso. Today's hat is a no-name Japanese trilby with a sewn crown that I'll talk about a little more at length in the appropriate thread.

03DEC07-outfit04.jpg

Finally here are the shoes which I purchased locally on sale for around $50 USD:

03DEC07-outfit05.jpg

And this is today's watch and cuff-link selection:

03DEC07-outfit02.jpg

A vintage Seiko 7009 movement watch I inherited form my father.

03DEC07-outfit03.jpg

Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force cufflinks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112