PDA

View Full Version : Smelly hat: How to get an odor out of a hat?

NicolettaRose
02-13-2007, 12:03 AM
I got this ausome 1930's topper hat on Ebay. It is made out of felt, but when I took it out of the package, it reeks of cigarette smoke. How do I get the smell to go away?

BitterEpiphany
02-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Vodka and water solution will kill a smoke smell, but i've no idea what it would do to the hat. I use it on everything (my boyfriend is a smoker) Though, it you love it or if you spent a lot on it, it might be a little terrifying to try. If you are going to use it, I would spot test it on an inconspicuous location. Also, don't be afraid, unlike Vinegar and Water solutions, the Vodka smell will actually dissipate within a few days. Just apply wtih a spray bottle. (You can apply it with a chemcial spray bottle but I like to use old hairspray or perfume bottles. I find they spray more evenly with delicate work. If you're really nervous, get a very meshy, cheese cloth-esque scarf or piece of fabric and spray the hat THROUGH that. You won't get as much spotting from a crummy bottle.

You could also try sticking a handful fo fabric softener sheets inside of it in hopes that that would absorb some of the smell :)

EDIT: Whatever you do, don't fall vicitm to the notion that it will just go away. I have found t-shirts under the bed, weeks after they've been abandoned, only to find that, yes, they still smell strongly of smoke. Also, avoid products like Febreeze. They're supposed to help but, really, they usually just add another smell on top of the smoke and you get essence of wet dog.

Elaina
02-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Test a small area on the inside with oust. If it doesn't mess it up, Oust for smokers for a few days will do the trick.

I and my husband smoke, but I don't like the lingering smell.

NicolettaRose
02-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Test a small area on the inside with oust. If it doesn't mess it up, Oust for smokers for a few days will do the trick.

I and my husband smoke, but I don't like the lingering smell.

What about something like febreeze?

Elaina
02-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Well, it'll work but febreeze has been known to weaken fibers and discolor fabric.

I'd test what ever it was, or put it in an area where a gentle beeze blows on it, not in sunlight, and let nature take its course.

Lady Day
02-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Baking soda.

If you are worried about the soda on the hat, put the hat in a plastic bin (with a lid) and put lots of soda around the hat. Leave it in there closed for a few days and check on it.

Should do the trick.

LD

Absinthe_1900
02-13-2007, 01:37 AM
You might try putting in a box with some aquarium charcoal:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_Nav_221_sku_165573_R_5778_enemerch_1 .aspx?cm_re=221-_-TopSellers0-_-165573

http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/1/1556111386B.jpg

Tango Yankee
02-13-2007, 02:21 AM
I believe it was John in Covina who suggested putting the hat in a plastic bag with a box of baking soda. I've got a Stetson derby with the same problem and was going to try that. I'd also wondered about but haven't tried using Febreeze on it.

Cheers,
Tom

Viviene
02-13-2007, 04:55 AM
You can also get cat litter and put it in a container. Take the hat and put it in a brown paper bag and close it inside the container for a few days. The smoke smell will be gone. Please don't use the Febreeze. It just masks the odor and as stated above can weaken the fabric.

Snrbfshn
02-13-2007, 07:23 AM
It seems to help, but I found it won't rid it of the odor. I've put hats sprinkled with baking soda, sitting on top of a plate filled with it, into bags and left them for two weeks. I then vacuum it off using a horsehair brush attachment.

Letting it sit outside in the sun for a good while helps, too. I haven't tried the Frebreeze yet, and would check colorfastness on a beater before trusting a treasured hat to it. I like the activated charcoal idea, too.

WEEGEE
02-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Viviene
You can also get cat litter and put it in a container. Take the hat and put it in a brown paper bag and close it inside the container for a few days. The smoke smell will be gone. Please don't use the Febreeze. It just masks the odor and as stated above can weaken the fabric.

Yes...This works!!!

Tango Yankee
02-13-2007, 02:16 PM

There are a number of variations of cat litter. Are you referring to the plain clay type or the more modern clumping/multiple cats/etc types?

I've got a couple of cats. It took a bit to find a type they'd use. :eek:

Thanks,
Tom