PDA

View Full Version : HAT SIZES OF THE FAMOUS

RBH
04-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Found this today and was excited to see Jimmy Stewart wore the same size as me {7 1\2}
http://www.baronhats.com/hatsizes.htm
Then I checked futher and saw that they take claim for the thin ribboned fedora in Seabiscuit . [we know that Art had the original Marathon]
That made me wonder about these size listings. Does anyone have a clue if the sizes would be correct or not?

Stoney
04-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks for posting this. I guess I'm the same size as Donald O'Conner and Ronald Reagan.

lol

Mr. Lucky
04-05-2007, 09:37 PM
I've seen the orignals! Very cool. That was back when Eddie Baron still ran the shop...many, many moons ago. He made a really nice hat.

Vladimir Berkov
04-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Many of the sizes are surprisingly large, considering how small we often consider vintage hat sizes to be. 7 3/8, 7 1/2 and even 7 5/8 are very common on the list. What are rare are any sizes below about 7 1/8.

Wesne
04-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Many of the sizes are surprisingly large, considering how small we often consider vintage hat sizes to be. 7 3/8, 7 1/2 and even 7 5/8 are very common on the list. What are rare are any sizes below about 7 1/8.

I once heard a theory (as I recall it was attributed to Merv Griffin) that people with big faces tended to become big celebrities, or something like that. Basically the idea was that a large face photographed well and came across well on-screen. Naturally it wouldn't hold true for everyone but it was a sort of natural selection at work - people with large faces were better adapted for this particular function and tended to be more successful at it. Maybe large heads go along with big faces.

Maj.Nick Danger
04-05-2007, 10:51 PM
According to that theory, I should be a movie star. I wear a 7-5/8, just like Ray Milland, and Michael Rennie.
But fame has eluded me,...[huh]