PDA

View Full Version : Banished Lounger?

Lawman
04-16-2007, 02:14 PM
I purchased my first vintage fedora from a former lounger in Florida some months back. It was a Stetson 3X beaver, and is a decent hat.

In negotiating with him, he mentioned that he was a former lounger, and that he had been banished for his "views." It seemed a curious sanction, especially given the usually mild temperament of the loungers.

My curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I'd love to hear if anyone can illuminate this mystery. He intimated that he was banished for politcal banter of some kind.

Thanks.

Mark

StanleyVanBuren
04-16-2007, 02:25 PM
IBTL

Baron Kurtz
04-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Robert! ? Mr F. Sanchez? Harry Lime?

I'm trying to think of banished floridans . . .

bk

Matt Deckard
04-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Rarely is someone banned from the Lounge. It's extreme circumstances where a member is attacking another's reputation incessantly or where a member is personally attacking other members.

There is the rare case where a member was here dropping off innapropriate material that was offensive. If the person was banned you can be sure it was for his or her harsh actions.

Maj.Nick Danger
04-16-2007, 02:29 PM
That fabulous chap? :p

BegintheBeguine
04-16-2007, 02:39 PM
My roommate and I each narked on people who were abusive and they are all now banished. Once in a while I will come across a thread with a posting by someone who was suspended. I think I have had a post or two of my own rightly removed by a moderator, about which I am ashamed that I was so silly and inconsiderate and only concerned about venting my spleen. Now I try to think twice since I don't want to be kicked out of the Lounge, I like it here too much. Other guys obviously didn't care and were suspended.

Lawman
04-16-2007, 02:44 PM
In response to Matt's reply, I have little doubt that the banishment was well warranted. In my limited dealings with this chap he showed himself to be anything but reluctant to offend.

He had some affiliation with the USAF Thunderbirds flight team as I recall.

MK
04-16-2007, 02:49 PM
He wasn't suspended for his views. He got the boot for his behaviour. I was very lenient with him due to his distinguished service.....but he mistook kindness for weakness. Too bad. He had a great hat collection.

feltfan
04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Never caught that conflict. He was always nice to me, even though
I could tell we came from different ends of the spectrum. But I'm
sure there was a good reason.

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the hats:

http://public.fotki.com/formerblueangel/felt_fedoras/

Art Fawcett
04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
I cannot credit the origin of the quote " A true diplomat is one that can tell you to go to hell and have you look forward to the trip" ( I'm sure I've misquoted this) but I try to use it as a guide for everything I say. It isn't always what you say but how you say it. In this case, although I personally like this member, the way he said things were less than diplomatic at many too many times. Thus, his banishment.

What we all need to remember and sometimes forget is that this place is akin to a private "Gentleman's" club ( please, no offence meant Ladies but that is the way it started) and decorum must be maintained in order to keep it that way. Once we go to the lack of decorum, we have a locker room. There are plenty of those on the net.

Lawman
04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Well said, Mr. Fawcett.

Twitch
04-17-2007, 09:59 AM
The whole political dialogue being banned is for the best. It's always the same pointless "our guys are better than your guys" harangue. The political rhetoric perpetrated by some in the past got to the point of juvenile name calling and hatefulness.

There's enough sites where one can go to be abused by others who don't share their naive political diatribes. This doesn't need to be yet another.

thefedorastore
04-17-2007, 10:18 AM
I must add that sometimes one should "banish" himself, or at least walk quieter when carrying the big stick. Many actions, postings and comments are moved, commented on by private message, or deleted as well, and grey policy is subject to the mediator of the moment. You will find some things moved to classifieds while others of the same content may be found to have never been moved. In a subjective society as "ours", one must bow to the gatekeepers in order to maintain peace, integrity and reputation. Afterall, it's the gatekeepers living room where we carry our discussions.

Duane

dog20
04-17-2007, 10:31 AM
RIP

Marc Chevalier
04-17-2007, 10:36 AM
RIP

SHRED?

TEAR?

SAW?

;)

Baron Kurtz
04-17-2007, 01:57 PM
He had some affiliation with the USAF Thunderbirds flight team as I recall.

Ah, Dusty. As MK said, he had some fine, fine hats.

As the recipient of substantial volumes of his wrath, i'll say i miss his posts. They were fun.

bk (founder member of the Bring Back Dusty Rhodes and Biltmore Bob Society)

Marc Chevalier
04-17-2007, 01:59 PM

But please, please, PLEASE don't found a Bring Back Happy Stroller Society.

dog20
04-17-2007, 02:01 PM
SHRED?

TEAR?

SAW?

;)

i'm trying to get enough posts so i can PM, Deckard about hats... since my topic got deleted.

Marc Chevalier
04-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Post away!

dog20
04-17-2007, 02:06 PM
:offtopic: even with 15 i'm still unable to PM. did they change it to 20?

Miss Neecerie
04-17-2007, 02:09 PM

Nope...but as with all things browsery....try exiting IE or Mozilla or whatever browser you are using completely, and then restart it and log in again.

First step at solving things that are kept for a session...like your post count.

WEEGEE
04-17-2007, 02:10 PM
dog20

It is based on quality of posts. i am still unable to pm.lol

dog20
04-17-2007, 02:13 PM
dog20

:rolleyes: i hope thats not the case because i came here to learn about hats after i saw a guy at work wear a fedora! i should of asked him where he bought it... but he was speaking spanish.

"donde compras tu sombrero?" heh

Marc Chevalier
04-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Not bad!

"¿Dónde compraste tu sombrero?" (Past tense verb.) ;)

dog20
04-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Not bad!

"Donde compraste tu sombrero." (Past tense verb.) ;)

i forgot about tenses... its been awhile since i took spanish :mad: !

e
aste
o

amos
asteis
aron

:D

Baron Kurtz
04-17-2007, 02:17 PM
But please, please, PLEASE don't found a Bring Back Happy Stroller Society.

Happy Stroller never went away did he?

I was under the impression he'd simply sauntered across the pond for a while.

Where else could he find out the proper button-covering for buttons on a waistcoat to be worn between 1500 and 1510 in the afternoon on a chilly-but-not-cold-though-not-too-warm-either Tuesday in April when tea was being served on the tea-maid's day off when windows were open - but not fully open - and a bluebottle fly had flown through the window? Did i mention the drinkers would be sitting, not standing? If not, that was a vital point in the question!

God forbid he should have self-covered buttons instead of contrast-covering! A faux-pas worthy of Benny Hill himself!!!!

bk

Marc Chevalier
04-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I forgot about tenses... its been awhile since i took spanish :mad: !

No problem ... Spanish is a hassle, with all its tildes and upside down question marks. lol You need to get yourself a Spanish-speaking wife.

Marc Chevalier
04-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Happy Stroller never went away did he?

(I'm going to have nightmares tonight!)

dog20
04-17-2007, 02:21 PM
:offtopic: i might as well ask my question here since i can't PM. i was told that 'the burlington coat factory' sells hats... do you guys know of any other places i could go to get them? i want to see how i look with one of these on before purchasing!

Matt Deckard
04-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Florida ay?
Hmmm... Have to look up a shop. Other than the rare Nordstrom that carries fedoras it may be a bit hard for you to find the right place.

I'll find out.

dog20
04-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Florida ay?
Hmmm... Have to look up a shop. Other than the rare Nordstrom that carries fedoras it may be a bit hard for you to find the right place.

I'll find out.
thanks matt and do you know why i can't send PMs? i would like to do those because i don't want people here getting mad at me since i know nothing about hats (aka stupid questions).

Baron Kurtz
04-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Just before i left the US in february i had the misfortune to step inside a couple of department stores. They were all of them selling fedoras - all made by "Country Gentleman" - of the wool-felt type. This was the first type of fedora i bought in the US, and it was a grand intro to the genre. I liked how i looked in my Country Gentleman! Now i have an absurd number of vintage fedoras.

I was especially glad to see that a friend of mine who had always shunned my fedora wearing ways was wearing a country gentleman the last time he drove through Lafayette before i left.

bk

dog20
04-17-2007, 02:35 PM
i thought the guy at work looked really cool. that hat just seemed to go well with him. but he was also quite older than me. i may not have the courage to be walking around with one on (i'm 20 and i've never seen a young guy wear that type of hat!)... plus, i may not like the look. who knows.

Baron Kurtz
04-17-2007, 02:40 PM
I agree that you don't want to leap in with a really expensive fedora.

but you don't want to base your notions of "it works" or "it doesn't work" on just one fedora. Go to a hat store and try on all the models they can give you . . . stingy brims, standard brims and wide brims; high, medium and low crowns; thin, medium and wide ribbons. there's a fedora to suit everyone! Just check out RBH - he looks great in thin ribbon hats - but i just don't like how they look on me. I fear that an awful lot of people are turned off hats because the first one they try doesn't suit their features. Try 'em all; i'm certain there's one you'll like.

bk

dog20
04-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I agree that you don't want to leap in with a really expensive fedora.

but you don't want to base your notions of "it works" or "it doesn't work" on just one fedora. Go to a hat store and try on all the models they can give you . . . stingy brims, standard brims and wide brims; high, medium and low crowns; thin, medium and wide ribbons. there's a fedora to suit everyone! Just check out RBH - he looks great in thin ribbon hats - but i just don't like how they look on me. I fear that an awful lot of people are turned off hats because the first one they try doesn't suit their features. Try 'em all; i'm certain there's one you'll like.

bk
RBH, whats that?

yep thats what i wanted to do. i made a thread about where to buy a hat besides ebay because i wanted to try the hats on. but it got deleted! i'll check out "The burlington coat factory" but thats only one place. I would like to know of more shops to be able to try on more hats!

Baron Kurtz
04-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Sorry, RBH is a member here. he was my example of a hat that looks great on some people (thin ribbon, wide-ish brim), but not on me.

Now where did i go? It was Sear's, i think. They were selling Country Gentleman . . . maybe Penney's too. Where in Florida are you? It's a big state! maybe with a town/general geography one of our hat-store-owner members could help direct you to a store.

bk

dog20
04-17-2007, 02:49 PM
thanks

Salv
04-17-2007, 02:49 PM
thanks matt and do you know why i can't send PMs? i would like to do those because i don't want people here getting mad at me since i know nothing about hats (aka stupid questions).

Have you checked that Private Messaging is enabled in your profile? Click on User CP on the menu bar, then in the list on the left click on Edit Options. Scroll down about half way to the Private Messaging section and make sure there's a tick next to Enable Private Messaging.

Mark G
04-17-2007, 03:03 PM
I agree, go to a hat store and try on as many hats as you can. Once you find one that suits you, wear it around the house, then out to get the mail, pretty soon you'll feel naked without it. Before I started wearing them on a regular basis I would see someone in a nice hat and think, that's cool. I think a lot of it has to do with attitude.

dog20
04-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Have you checked that Private Messaging is enabled in your profile? Click on User CP on the menu bar, then in the list on the left click on Edit Options. Scroll down about half way to the Private Messaging section and make sure there's a tick next to Enable Private Messaging.
thanks but it is checked

shoeshineboy
04-17-2007, 03:14 PM
dog20

this is true with you...with my short time affiliation with the FL, I have seen you post ONLY TWO QUALITY POSTS....both contained your beautiful Bride and your new hat....

You need to but some more hats, so your bride will take a picture with you, so your post counts go up, so you can pm me and tell me Thank you for your new hats....

lol lol lol

mark the shoeshine boy

scotrace
04-17-2007, 03:14 PM
You can get and send Private Messages, because I just PM'd you, dog20.

dog20
04-17-2007, 03:20 PM
its working now.. cool!

John in Covina
04-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Also note sometimes if you're trying to PM a person and their message box is full, it won't go. Try rebooting, then re-installing all of your programs in alphabetical order. (That is a joke, I hate computers, the programmers, along with the misery they make for me.)

If you are in Floridea you should be able to find Panama hats around, but it seems a regular hat store is hard to find there. We went thru a search recently, but an established MEN"S shop can often have hats for the gents!

besdor
04-18-2007, 04:41 AM
Hi Dog20. I dont know where in Florida you are , but in Ft Lauderdale there is a store called Hats and Hats. My friend Bruno carries a good selection of hats for men . Check them out if you can .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

WEEGEE
04-18-2007, 05:03 AM
shoeshineboy
this is true with you...with my short time affiliation with the FL, I have seen you post ONLY TWO QUALITY POSTS....both contained your beautiful Bride and your new hat....

You need to buy some more hats, so your bride will take a picture with you, so your post counts go up, so you can pm me and tell me Thank you for your new hats....

mark the shoeshine boy

Going out the other night...wearing the Borsalino light weight from vonwotan. My wife wearing a 1940's house dress found on the bay.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/WEEGEE13/MFGWENI.jpg

Thank you again Mark for soothing the coffers of hatdom!!!lol lol lol

vonwotan
04-18-2007, 05:08 AM
Weegee, you both look great in that photo! The hat really suits you.

scotrace
04-18-2007, 06:27 AM
Look at you two skinny and attractive people! Great photo!!!

shoeshineboy
04-18-2007, 07:24 AM
that's three for you !!!! lol lol lol

mark the shoeshine boy

dog20
04-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi Dog20. I dont know where in Florida you are , but in Ft Lauderdale there is a store called Hats and Hats. My friend Bruno carries a good selection of hats for men . Check them out if you can .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
i'm in st.petersburg and thanks for the link

mikepara
04-18-2007, 09:35 AM
WeeGee, A classic self shot in mirror picture.

It's usually naked teenagers with a tiny digital. [Or so I'm told!]

RBH
04-18-2007, 10:03 AM
GREAT photo, WEEGEE

ideaguy
04-18-2007, 11:21 AM
WEEGEE- Great photo, huh? I wanted that hat so badly......and I'm glad it went
to you, and still drums home the lesson of coveting things and forgetting the
life that surrounds us. Not sappy-just trying to learn some humility and congratulate the winner, rather than growl at the moon. Great photo. M

(used to howl at the moon. after 50 growling's enough):eusa_clap

Roger
04-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Ah, Dusty. As MK said, he had some fine, fine hats.

As the recipient of substantial volumes of his wrath, i'll say i miss his posts. They were fun.

Very entertaining I might add.

beaucaillou
04-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Wee Gee,

Brilliant photo, brilliant couple. Nicely done.

shoeshineboy
04-19-2007, 08:23 PM
shoeshineboy

Going out the other night...wearing the Borsalino light weight from vonwotan. My wife wearing a 1940's house dress found on the bay.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/WEEGEE13/MFGWENI.jpg

Thank you again Mark for soothing the coffers of hatdom!!!lol lol lol

Weegee....if only i had a wife that looked like that....well they would be twins...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap lol

mark tssb