PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear hats because you're balding?

akaBruno
06-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Do you wear hats because you're balding?

I had to ask. Sorry.

BRUNO

jamespowers
06-05-2007, 05:28 PM

I had to ask. Sorry.

BRUNO

Uh no. Plenty of hair on top. It might be getting gray but there's still plenty. The hat protects it from hair thieves. :p ;)

regards,

J

deanglen
06-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I think it was a major factor in my interest, prior to appreciation of specific headwear.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/Pastor2AAA.jpg

dean

Miss Brill
06-05-2007, 05:43 PM
I think it was a major factor in my interest, prior to appreciation of specific headwear.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/Pastor2AAA.jpg

dean

Do you (always) take it off indoors? I know 2 nattily dressed older men who wear a hat 24/7. I think it kills the smartness of their look, which is very tweedy & vintage, except it is a style that never changed as they aged, rather than a style they adopted.

MattJH
06-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Nope. My grandfather is about to turn 96 and still has a full head of hair.

deanglen
06-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Do you (always) take it off indoors? I know 2 nattily dressed older men who wear a hat 24/7. I think it kills the smartness of their look, which is very tweedy & vintage, except it is a style that never changed as they aged, rather than a style they adopted.

Generally, I do take it off indoors, maybe when I'm at a fast food restaurant I'll keep it on, but indoors, most hats become a bit warm, especially felt. On the other hand, I'll wear them in house simply for recreational wearing, just to enjoy the hat. I suppose that's obsessive/compulsive but I know I'm not the only one who does in the Lounge.:)

dean

wenestvedt
06-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Solely because I'm balding? Well...my thinning hair certainly accentuated the cancer danger that I played up when I told my wfe about it before I bought my new hat. Is that cynical? :7)

- Will

Johnnysan
06-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Yes, I do...but not just because I'm bald(ing). Mostly because they look good, are appropriate to wear with business attire and save me from the effects of the sun. ;)

Prairie Shade
06-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Its just a question. I thought I'd ask.

MattJH
06-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Hats can cause split ends and, in cases, the breakage of hair, but they do not cause baldness. Common myth.

AlanC
06-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Yes, I do...but not just because I'm bald(ing). Mostly because they look good, are appropriate to wear with business attire and save me from the effects of the sun. ;)

Ditto. A dermatologist friend--who is very bald--recommended strongly that I wear hats. I've always been interested, but it took me awhile to educate myself about proper hats. Fedora Lounge is largely responsible for that.

Wesne
06-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Partly, but not because I'm self-conscious or vain about my balding pate. I don't wear a hat indoors. It's a matter of protection from the elements. The less hair I have on the top of my head, the colder my head gets in cold weather and the more prone it is to be sunburned in nice weather. I also don't want to get skin cancer on the top of my head where I'm not even going to see it.

akaBruno
06-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Even here at the Fedora Lounge, a lot of guys won't say Yes or No. :D :D

Fess Up, or forever hold your hairpiece.

Tango Yankee
06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
I started wearing hats and caps (besides baseball caps) back in my early 20s. Of course, I always had to wear headgear while in uniform, either the garrison cap with blues or a baseball cap with fatigues. Yup, most USAF units had squadron baseball caps to wear as part of the uniform. It wasn't until I found the Lounge that I got serious about hats, though!

Of course, these days my hair has thinned out a bit and there is a bit of a bald spot, but I wear hats because I think they look good and that I look good when I'm wearing them. I also enjoy the practical benefits as well.

Cheers,
Tom

Feraud
06-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Even here at the Fedora Lounge, a lot of guys won't say Yes or No. :D :D

Fess Up, or forever hold your hairpiece. NO!

I ain't a skeered of no head cancer either. I wear 'em because they are cool.

Hemingway Jones
06-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Even at 40, Old Hemingway has a full head a' hair.

Here I am in Freeport, Maine this past Saturday.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/2899/hairrx4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I wear hats because I like them.

The gray is creeping in and I'm not going to do anything about it. ;)

Art Fawcett
06-05-2007, 07:36 PM
I can't remember ever NOT wearing a hat. I grew up with a golf course my home ( I only slept elsewhere) and a hat was common. Then I worked outdoors all my career so it was natural. At 57 it's still there, both hat and hair

Doh!
06-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Nope -- I'm pretty hairy on top (much to the chagrin of my brother and father, who are somewhat... less).

I don't like baking in the summer or freezing in the winter, hence my hats.

And in the spring and fall, they just look damned cool!

Spitfire
06-06-2007, 04:00 AM
I am not balding - I AM BALD. :p

But that's not the reason why I - sometimes - wear a hat. That's because of the sun.
And then again: It's in order to protect my bald head against the UV factor...So yes, I am wearing hat because I am bald. Sometimes...:rolleyes:

PADDY
06-06-2007, 04:20 AM
And...no. Wear them because I like them :)

J. M. Stovall
06-06-2007, 04:36 AM
What's hair?

Following that logic I should stop wearing shirts because of the hair on my back?;)

deanglen
06-06-2007, 05:44 AM
YES The sun protection is just a perk.

dean

Mark G
06-06-2007, 06:17 AM
No. At 50 it's gray, but still got it all. Just wear 'um 'cause I like 'um.

Doctor Strange
06-06-2007, 06:48 AM
I was into hats long before I began balding. I have been wearing them in the winter pretty regularly since I stopped with my previously standard hooded parkas in the early 80s. And I have always sunburned extremely easily, so I have generally worn panamas in the summer too.

griffer
06-06-2007, 07:11 AM
At an outside holiday party- strangely warm that night for a Jersey December- I wore my hat all night.

Towards the end of the evening, I took it off as the party drifted inside.

A women, emboldened by spirits, exclaimed loudly, "Wow, I thought you wore that hat 'cause you were BALD, but you have GREAT hair!"

Ha.

Helps that my barber gives me a hair cut specifically designed to avoid hat head...

Fletch
06-06-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm with the Doc - I was a hat guy before I started losing and I'm more of one now than ever. I burn easily up top, as I found to my chagrin a few summers ago.

duggap
06-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Still got my locks. I started wearing hats because the doctor told me too. Wearing fedoras was my own idea and now that I have started I don't intend to stop. Just like wearing hats.:)

Zig2k143
06-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Uh no. Plenty of hair on top. It might be getting gray but there's still plenty. The hat protects it from hair thieves. :p ;)

regards,

J

The Hair Thieves that come in the night and steal your hair they will...

Why do you think lil old ladies wear hair nets.

griffer
06-06-2007, 07:57 AM

'Cause it looks hawt?

Zig2k143
06-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Oh and by the way...

I love my sexy bald head... I believe my girlfriend does too (Well I hope she does kiss it from time to time.)

I just really like to wear hats too.. As you can see inside I'm hatless and a bit drunk in the picture.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z69/Zig2k143/CrapsTable.jpg

Zig2k143
06-06-2007, 07:58 AM
'Cause it looks hawt?

Lol.... and I always thought it was for the hair theives... As Eddie Izzard says when they get to a certain age all they buy at the grocery store are hair nets and dog food.

K.D. Lightner
06-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I am a gal and not going bald, though my hair has thinned from when I was a young woman. I wear fedoras because I love them and also for protection, for two reasons:

I don't want to damage my skin and get skin cancer.

I don't want to damage my skin and have thousands of wrinkles. I know women my age who were sun worshippers when they were young -- and now, face-wise, they resemble Sharpei dogs.

From the time I was in college, I wore a gardner's hat for sun protection; worked long, hard hours on school playgrounds in the summer as a recreation director. I am 64 years old and can pass for someone in my early 50's.

How's that for skin protection!?

karol

griffer
06-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Winglebert Humptiback! Slut Bunwallah!

tinmanzzz
06-06-2007, 08:44 AM
I am a gal and not going bald, though my hair has thinned from when I was a young woman. I wear fedoras because I love them and also for protection, for two reasons:

I don't want to damage my skin and get skin cancer.

I don't want to damage my skin and have thousands of wrinkles. I know women my age who were sun worshippers when they were young -- and now, face-wise, they resemble Sharpei dogs.

From the time I was in college, I wore a gardner's hat for sun protection; worked long, hard hours on school playgrounds in the summer as a recreation director. I am 64 years old and can pass for someone in my early 50's.

How's that for skin protection!?

karol
YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!!
I'm Lucky to be married to a hat loving, red headed Girl (4 years younger than you) who Still has great skin.
Me, Full head of hair. I just like the look........

Orgetorix
06-06-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm not balding. I wear hats because they're an integral part of classic style. Protection from skin cancer is the excuse I use when I face a particularly stubborn style ignoramus who has a problem with my hats.

DOUGLAS
06-06-2007, 08:52 AM
I was wearing hats way back when I had hair.
I'm the one with the hat
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/dsr-hat/DSCN4357.jpg

Twitch
06-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Absolutely not. For decades I went bare headed during working hours. I've actually worn hats of any type for warmth, shade, rain protection, or eye protection provided by a visor, brim or bill. :fedora:

jamespowers
06-06-2007, 11:37 AM
The Hair Thieves that come in the night and steal your hair they will...

They will and they don't leave money under your pillow either---the no good rats. :rage: :p
Hair nets actually catch them at their crime. Many an old lady has had to wake up in the morning and release the hair thieves. They lead you to their pot of gold if you catch them this way. It helps to supplement old ladies' retirements so it makes sense to use a hair net. :p ;)

Regards,

J

Dixon Cannon
06-06-2007, 12:10 PM
NO.

johnnycanuck
06-06-2007, 12:39 PM
No....... wait...... Ya No.

bolthead
06-06-2007, 01:58 PM
I guess I'm a loner, I suppose. I'm 46 and totally bald. I started losing my hair pretty much, right out of high school & it was devastating to me to lose it that young, so I started wearing ballcaps and almost all the time too. I guess I just got used to wearing them & people just got used to seeing me in them, all the time. I still wear them today as well, to work and such. But I love fedoras, always did, I bought 1 or 2 cheaper canvas types back in the 80's and wore them on occasion, but nothing more came of it til later on in life when I can really appreciate them more.

I still wear ballcaps. I guess you can say to hide my baldness, but it's also for protection as well. I've gotten a few bad cases of sun-poisoning in the past that I don't want repeating. I now also love to sport my new rekindled love of Fedoras as well though.

So I guess it's yes and no, but to be truthful.....yes, I don't know why, my wife says it's sexy and I'm being silly.....[huh]

Simon82
06-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Though I have a little bit of graying fuzz on top, it's pretty thin, so I bought a cheap Stetson straw a few years ago for walking around outdoors. But having seen my dad -- who has hair -- get multiple skin cancers on his face and neck (which are routinely frozen or burnt off by the dermatologist), I pretty much wear a wider-brimmed hat whenever I can.

So I don't try to hide my lack of hair, but I do want to keep my melanin-free melon safe from the sun.

Miss Brill
06-06-2007, 03:11 PM
So I guess it's yes and no, but to be truthful.....yes, I don't know why, my wife says it's sexy and I'm being silly.....[huh]

Completely bald is sexy. I think most women would agree.

I always notice men with shaved heads & find them tremendously attractive. If a man is good-looking a shaved head accentuates it, and it can also look very youthful. I've always loved military boys because of their buzz cuts or totally bald heads.

Paisley
06-06-2007, 03:14 PM

I had to ask. Sorry.

BRUNO

No. In fact, hairstylists have told me I have enough hair for two people. :D

jamespowers
06-06-2007, 03:25 PM
No. In fact, hairstylists have told me I have enough hair for two people. :D

Be carefl of the wee hair thieves then. They come at night and make it thin. ;) :p

Willi_Goat
06-06-2007, 03:41 PM
I am balding, but that is not the reason I wear hats. But I have been balding long before I started wearing hats.

Johnnysan
06-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Completely bald is sexy. I think most women would agree.

"Jeeves, kindly fetch my razor." :)

Cobden
06-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I wear a hat because we had to pawn the hatstand and there was nowhere else to put it :P

mingoslim
06-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Its just a question. I thought I'd ask.

I have worn hats all my life . . . and when I was a teenager, my mother always said it would cause me to go bald . . .

Well, I continued to wear hats, and I did go bald . . . So I just started shaving what was left off . . . That way it does not detract form my hats.

deanglen
06-06-2007, 06:24 PM
I started losing my hair pretty much, right out of high school & it was devastating to me to lose it that young, wife says it's sexy and I'm being silly.....[huh]

For me, age 17. Devastating is a good word. I could think of others. Hats are a nice respite from the curse. I have never believed that if a woman had a choice between a bald man and a man with hair on his head...she would choose the bald guy. Maybe that's not the same thing as bald is sexy, or I should say,totally bald is sexy.

dean

SinatraStyle
06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
My hairline is starting to move back a bit, but I'd say that I still have a full head of hair. So no, I don't wear a hat because I'm balding. I do wear a hat to keep me warm in the winter and dry in the rain. I don't have a straw yet, so I don't wear hats as much in the summer. However, I'm working on getting a new Panama.

Chanfan
06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Well, in all honesty, it certainly was a factor in getting me to start wearing hats. I'm thinning up to towards the aft, and it's gotten pretty sparse back there. I often forget, because from the front my hair looks fine.

I certainly am not in love with my bald spot, so the idea of a hat was made more appealing. Still, it was just a factor - I also thought it was just a spiffy look.

HamletJSD
06-07-2007, 04:29 AM
I actually started wearing hats because of too much hair ;)
Remember the 70's hair, thick and a sticking a mile out from the skull? I must have received this curse by being born near the end of the 70's. My hair grows fast and thick. It's unquestionably ... let's say ... puffy.
So as an embarrassed teenager I started wearing ball caps anywhere they'd let me (including church; except Easter and weddings when my parents insisted that I brush my hair and leave the hat at home).

In college I matured out of ball caps and embarrassment, then started wearing whatever else I could get my hands on.
Nowadays I keep my hair trimmed down very short and wear a hat for style and sun protection.

John in Covina
06-07-2007, 05:14 AM
Not bald.

scotrace
06-07-2007, 05:19 AM
Believe me, I am more painfully aware every year how extremely lucky I am. Thank you, Lord!

mingoslim
06-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Well, I continued to wear hats, and I did go bald . . . So I just started shaving what was left off . . . That way it does not detract from my hats.

If I was told by the Lord above that I could have all my hair back in its glory, but I could never again wear a hat, I would remain bald . . .

HungaryTom
06-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Second my answer abovelol

2 days ago I was at haircut-enough hair went for a fur felt...:eek: :eek: :eek: morbid!

I try to stop making stupid remarks like that. I must grow up now. Promise.

"Rejoice, young man, during your childhood, and let your heart be pleasant during the days of young manhood".

"brainpower doesn't tolerate hairs"

Do you have this proverb?

Chaperon
06-07-2007, 08:50 AM
I've been bald for years, but it's not to hide that fact that I wear hats.

I wear them because:

1) I like them,
2) I don't like to be cold and, as we all know, hats help lots there,
3) I've had several pre-cancerous skin patches removed in the last two years. I live in the southern US so sun exposure protection is a must. The dematologist recommends a 3 inch brim as a minimum, if you're curious. Hats plus long sleeves plus an annual check up by both my family physician and by the dermotologist should keep the knife at bay (smile).

Reason #1 is my chief motivation however - I like them!

I never cared a bit about going bald by the way. Just seemed like a natural event to me. I've been thinning since I was in my thirties and I'm now in my mid fifties. I stay away from the dreaded combover (shutters) :eek: and go with a short buzz cut on the silver grey fuzz and fringe I do have left. Looks far, far neater and more honest. No hat-hair. And so gezzer age-appropriate too..:)

PastimeSteve
06-07-2007, 08:59 AM
I am not going bald, although my hair is thinning ever so slightly in places at 37 years old. I've traditionally been a baseball cap guy, but I've grown to really like my first fedora, a Jimmy Pierce Indy hat. It is awesome for style and shade from the Colorado sun.

The great thing is I can wear it with a tie or casual stuff, unlike the limited use of a baseball cap.

Steve

czack
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I always liked hats, even as a kid I wore them. Usually they were ivy caps or baseball caps. As I got older Mother Nature made it a necessity. See previous posts on sun exposure, cold, rain, etc.

RBH
06-07-2007, 06:33 PM
What hasnt turned white, has turned loose!lol

Ande1963
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
My baldness is definitely a factor in my hat-wearing. I just don't consider it safe to be outdoors with a bare scalp. I also like that I don't have to worry about hat-head.

Overall, I honestly enjoy being bald. I haven't paid for a haircut in well over a decade, I don't have to fret about how my hair looks, and bald guys hardly age between the ages of 35 and 60 (see Robert Duvall!).

Anj

bolthead
06-07-2007, 07:53 PM
My baldness is definitely a factor in my hat-wearing. I just don't consider it safe to be outdoors with a bare scalp. I also like that I don't have to worry about hat-head.

Overall, I honestly enjoy being bald. I haven't paid for a haircut in well over a decade, I don't have to fret about how my hair looks, and bald guys hardly age between the ages of 35 and 60 (see Robert Duvall!).

Anj
All great points and I must agree Ande.

.....but you forgot one, when you wash your face, you can just keep going & do your whole head in a matter of seconds, can't do that with a head of hair now can ya? ;)

Ande1963
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
All great points and I must agree Ande.

.....but you forgot one, when you wash your face, you can just keep going & do your whole head in a matter of seconds, can't do that with a head of hair now can ya? ;)

True! My wife cracks me up when she puts shampoo on the shopping list for me... like I'm supposed to have any idea which one to buy! I use a bar of soap, fer chrissakes!

Anj

art92101
06-07-2007, 08:15 PM
but I think wearing a hat has "preserved the bit of hair that i have.
Since i am 6 ft tall most people don't notice that I am thin on top. I wear a hat cause it looks good, I am a bit of an eccentric and its good for my health...balding and sun exposure.

PeeWee
06-08-2007, 05:38 AM
Not at all....I have some hair loss, but I shave the rest off anyway. I wear hats because I love them hair or no hair. I also wear them to protect my face, neck and head from all the elements;)

gdkenoyer
06-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Nope!

ilcatex
06-11-2007, 03:03 PM
I've worn hats all my life... western hats, fedoras, caps, etc.

Now that I shave my head (I have a nice head of hair - but honestly got tired of messing with hat hair and haircuts) I wear them to also keep the sun off.

blade runner
06-12-2007, 01:37 PM
I have to admit, baldness is the number one reason I have taken to wearing hats. I started losing my hair in my early 30s and had nothing on top but a bit of fuzz by the time I was 40. I don't mind being bald and keep what little I have cut very short. It does, however, change things. In my younger days, I rarely wore a hat except for warmth in the winter, which gets pretty cold up here in Upstate New York. In the summer I had my gloriously full head of hair to shade me. Now, however, I can't be outside for half an hour in the summer without getting a burned pate. I started out wearing baseball caps, but I'd still get burned ears and neck, so I started looking for more sun protection. That is how I got into fedoras and, now, panamas. They also provide far more style than ballcaps, which is a big plus. I must say, though, without the baldness I don't think I would have ventured into the realm of classic style. Perhaps I should be thanking the gods of genetics for removing that obstacle to the fedora-lovin' life.:) :) :cool2:

David V
06-12-2007, 01:43 PM
I have always loved hats and would still wear were I not bald.

Dinerman
06-12-2007, 01:45 PM
All I can say is: It's good to be young.

Harp
06-12-2007, 01:59 PM
My hair is a wild shag, tends to curl, and wearing hats really doesn't go
with my Irish poet scoundrel persona, which is naturally ethnic,
introspective, and mysterious.;) So I usually go hatless.
But I do favor homburgs over fedoras. :)

David V
06-12-2007, 02:59 PM

Yes. But it lasts for such a short time.

DBFedora
06-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Believe me, I am more painfully aware every year how extremely lucky I am. Thank you, Lord!

Scot, I think it's more grace than luck. I understand myself - thinning but far from bald.

DBFedora
06-12-2007, 03:36 PM
I was wearing hats way back when I had hair.
I'm the one with the hat
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/dsr-hat/DSCN4357.jpg

I am impressed once again...a hat connoisseur extraordinaire with a sense of humor. I love it when posts make me laugh. Thanks. lol

WildCelt
06-24-2007, 02:27 PM
The great thing is I can wear it with a tie or casual stuff, unlike the limited use of a baseball cap.Steve

True. Unfortunately, if you look around nowadays, people seem to think you can do that with a ball cap.

I started wearing a hat when the Marine Corps made me and got used to it. I started going bald around 20 and, with all the cancerous lumps my dad's gotten cut out, I stay as well hidden from the sun as I can. It's not so much to hide the balding from people as to keep it away from the evil daystar. Besides, I dig the look of my fedoras, trilbys, and scally caps.

Marty M.
06-24-2007, 03:48 PM

Don't worry Dinerman, we wont fault you for any of your youthful inexperence's. :p
Marty Mathis

luvthatlulu
06-24-2007, 05:35 PM

I had to ask. Sorry.

BRUNO

but my wearing a hat has started a lot of very interesting and memorable conversations.

;)

geckoheart
06-24-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm bald, been shaving the little that remains on the sides for about 6 years. As an adult, I have always worn some type of cap or hat when outside. I have switched to hats over the past 4-5 years because the brim provides sun protection to the face and neck, unlike with a cap. I hate when my face burns or tans and I have a ring around my head where he top was only protected from the sun.

Edward
06-25-2007, 05:11 AM
It's a factor. I always wore ball-caps as a kid during the summer - eventually gave those up because they don't suit me (I think it's the glasses that they don't work with... though nowadays I wear contacts when I dress up formal - hoping to get lasered before too many more years are out). I have my first trenchcoat and fedora at 16; I've been into formal hats and hats that go with outfits (colour coordination and general look) ever since. At Uni, I took to wearing a corduroy yachting-cap type hat which is still my generic hat (I'm on my third black one now, have a brown one and probably will add a couple more to the Marlowe wardrobe soon). By then I'd stopped wearing coats with a hood and couldn't be bothered to carry an umbrella - not least because in Belfast in the winter by the time it gets wet enough to bed bothered putting up a brolly, it's also typically too windy to wield one. My hair started to go at 26, I notice at 28.... thinned pretty much evenly all over the top - shorter and shorter buzzcuts followed, and by this time last year, I had only about half left, and even a number 1 didn't hide that. So out cane the razor, and I've been clean shaven (as per photo) ever since. Though the hats were always a thing for me previously, both for heat and rainwear, They have become much more a constant in my wardrobe, and I would now only very rarely leave the house (especially in daylight) without one - both health reasons, and because I absolutely loathe the look of a sun tan and will go to great lengths to avoid acquiring one.

I've now got to the point where if I'm making an effort to dress for an occasion, I'd feel underdressed without a hat.

Erik
06-30-2007, 10:06 PM
I wear hats more because of it, that's for sure.

barrowjh
07-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Yes, thinning and receding. Maybe 3 basal cell carcinomas removed thus far, also. So, got at least 3 good reasons (counting style).

akaBruno
07-01-2007, 07:58 PM
I'd just like to thank you guys for being Honest. Great Thread!

Hell, I keep pushing my hat back trying to get rid of my widows peak.

BRUNO

WideBrimm
07-12-2007, 08:22 PM
I like to wear hats. The fact that I'm bald on top is just a good excuse (without further explanation) should anyone ask. And since I've been warned by the doc, I'm made it a habit to never ever step outside without some type of hat covering my noggin. :)

Tony in Tarzana
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
I'll never forget the first time the top of my head got sunburnt and began peeling. It was at the automotive swap meet at Pomona California and I was there picking up a 3.91:1 "Sure Grip" center section for the 8-3/4" rear axle in my Duster.

I also dislike intensely when my ears get burned and start peeling. Ball caps don't help there.