PDA

View Full Version : Hats at Burlington Coat Factory

Pages : [1] 2

deanglen
10-16-2006, 06:31 AM
Inspired by the actual Open Road I now own, I was browsing through the local Burlington Coat Factory store and came across the men's hats section. I discovered that some of the hats were actually fur felt, albeit only $16.98 cents, and didn't have a maker's name, but did indicate they were made in the Czech Repuiblic. I'll bet they're made from squirrel fur or something, anyway I bought one that was very soft, a nice grey, and looked like a likely candidate for modification. It has a fabric sweatband and no liner, but other than that, I went for it. Got some 3/8" grosgrain, and proceeded to copy my Open Road bow, bash and all. Here's the result, and some fuzzy comparison shots, my friend had some trouble with his camera!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/IMGP0129.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/IMGP0128.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/IMGP0124.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/IMGP0125.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/IMGP0122.jpg

dean

Feraud
10-16-2006, 06:45 AM
Nice job. I like to see people get creative with whatever resources are available on hand.

Hemingway Jones
10-16-2006, 06:56 AM
That is not a bad looking hat at all. Well done and great find.

I hope that Dalexs sees this post; he is a big fan of the Burlington Coat Factory hat, including the one in his avatar. He also wore one to our New York City event and it looked excellent.

Razzman
10-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Great job, Deanglen! The hat looks great. Congratulations:eusa_clap Well, gotta run, and check out the Burlington Coat Factory here in town. :D

Vermifuge
10-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Not to rain on your parade, you did do quite a beautiful job. However I want to point out that Burlington coat factory has been busted several times for selling items made from cat or dog fur. Now I know this might be culturally acceptable in some parts of the word, its not in mine. People might want to take heed when purchasing items from them in the future.

Feraud
10-16-2006, 07:40 AM
However I want to point out that Burlington coat factory has been busted several times for selling items made from cat or dog fur. Now I know this might be culturally acceptable in some parts of the word, its not in mine. People might want to take heed when purchasing items from them in the future. No kidding? Where are those fedoras made? I am curious to read a news article or two about it.

Johnnysan
10-16-2006, 07:49 AM
I want to point out that Burlington coat factory has been busted several times for selling items made from cat or dog fur.

So, Dean...perhaps you need to rework the title of this thread. Maybe it should read: "And pictures of a $17 hat imitating a Whippet." lol

Art Fawcett
10-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Nice looking job Dean. I have only one issue and it doesn't involve the workmanship, only the crease. What you put in is a "diamond" or "4 point" depending in local jargon, and the original open road is more of a "teardrop" crease( when in fedora form, otherwise "cattlemans crease). I'm sure you are aware of it so my comment is more for the folks that don't know the difference.

deanglen
10-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Not to rain on your parade, you did do quite a beautiful job. However I want to point out that Burlington coat factory has been busted several times for selling items made from cat or dog fur. Now I know this might be culturally acceptable in some parts of the word, its not in mine. People might want to take heed when purchasing items from them in the future.

Meow you tell me! What can I do meow? Seriously, I didn't know that was the case. I certainly don't want to promote cruelty to animals. I will consider this in the future.

dean

Feraud
10-16-2006, 08:05 AM
it gives new meaning to the term "kitten finish"! :eek: :eusa_doh:

deanglen
10-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Nice looking job Dean. I have only one issue and it doesn't involve the workmanship, only the crease. What you put in is a "diamond" or "4 point" depending in local jargon, and the original open road is more of a "teardrop" crease( when in fedora form, otherwise "cattlemans crease). I'm sure you are aware of it so my comment is more for the folks that don't know the difference.

You know, Art, I didn't even consider the actual style of the crease when I did it, in relation to the Open Road. As I worked it, I just liked the way it looked. It came with a "teardrop" crease and for some reason I didn't like the lines of the crown, so rather spontaneously I sharpended the edges of the front bash, and pinched it tight pushing the "side dents" further back on the sides of the crown. The "diamond" shape seemed to emerge from what I started to do with the front. Thanks for your response, and I too, love your work! Maybe I'll send some work your way one day when my hat purchases return to to their former level.

dean

Vermifuge
10-16-2006, 08:11 AM
FYI I have only seen reports of this in regards to fur lined jackets, and rugs. Never seen one mention of hats, But I still dont support the practice. My assumption is your hat is made from some sort of rodent like a rabbit. Im about to head into work Ill try and dig up a news article or two when i get there.

deanglen
10-16-2006, 08:24 AM
it gives new meaning to the term "kitten finish"! :eek: :eusa_doh:

HAW-HAW-HAW!:eusa_clap

dean

Riposte3
10-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Very nice hat! Burlington is a great resource for those of us on a budget and not near a city with lots of good shops. It's where I got the hat in my avatar (wool felt, no liner, cloth sweatband, but still well built, and only about $20.) Until just a couple of months ago, it was the only place I could find "real" hats. (i.e. something other than baseball caps.) Sadly, it's still an hour long drive to get there.:(
Fortunately, we had an S&K Menswear open recently, and they also carry real hats, although it's a smaller selection, and the average price seems to be about $45. But, it's only about 10 minutes from my home! :)

Now, if someone would just open a real haberdashery around here. :D

-Jake

feltfan
10-16-2006, 08:32 AM
It's easy to confirm on Google that Burlington Coat Factory used
dog fur in some of their products. But the source of that fur was
Asian (Mongolia and elsewhere) and was used on coats.
Deanglen's hat is from the Czech Republic and most likely
uses felt from one of the longtime felt makers
in that region.

Still, I wouldn't give a penny to Burlington Coat Factory myself.
I prefer beaver, nutria, and hare who have been dead for longer than
I have been alive.

BTW, nice job DG. Wonder if you can stretch out the crown
to make it a bit more full at the top? Sharp ribbon.

deanglen
10-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Very nice hat! Burlington is a great resource for those of us on a budget and not near a city with lots of good shops. It's where I got the hat in my avatar (wool felt, no liner, cloth sweatband, but still well built, and only about $20.) Until just a couple of months ago, it was the only place I could find "real" hats. (i.e. something other than baseball caps.) Sadly, it's still an hour long drive to get there.:(
Fortunately, we had an S&K Menswear open recently, and they also carry real hats, although it's a smaller selection, and the average price seems to be about $45. But, it's only about 10 minutes from my home! :)

Now, if someone would just open a real haberdashery around here. :D

-Jake

Hey Jake, can you post more shots of your hat? Looks great!

dean

deanglen
10-16-2006, 08:41 AM
It's easy to confirm on Google that Burlington Coat Factory used
dog fur in some of their products. But the source of that fur was
Asian (Mongolia and elsewhere) and was used on coats.
Deanglen's hat is from the Czech Republic and most likely
uses felt from one of the longtime felt makers
in that region.

Still, I wouldn't give a penny to Burlington Coat Factory myself.
I prefer beaver, nutria, and hare who have been dead for longer than
I have been alive.

BTW, nice job DG. Wonder if you can stretch out the crown
to make it a bit more full at the top? Sharp ribbon.

Interesting! Actually, I didn't pull the hat down as far as it would go because I wasn't really ready for the shots when Bill took them, but you're right it makes the crown look a bit small. It actually seems about right, but camera angles can play tricks. I think some shots I've seen of Indy hats make the crowns look as high as top hats!

dean

Snrbfshn
10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Burlington for some time has sold hats from the Czech hatmaker Huckel, which is part of the Tonak line of hats. In an earlier thread besdor had this to say when commenting on the Huckel hat:

"Huckel is the oldest and largest hat factory today. The real name is Tonak. In the US , you will see hats made by them using the name Selentino. We sell their velour hats on our site. They also make hats for Stetson."

At $16, it's probably the best retail hat deal going. The ones I saw were made of fur felt, probably mostly rabbit. If there's any cat or dog fur, it's probably just to add character ;)

Mr. Lucky
10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Actually, most, if not all, fur felt hats that come out of the Czech Repub. are made by a company named Tonak which, as far as I know, uses strictly hare and beaver to make their hats. My wife brought me a lovely Tonak back from Prague this past summer.

Nice looking hat! Enjoy.

Mr. Lucky
10-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Burlington for some time has sold hats from the Czech hatmaker Huckel, which is part of the Tonak line of hats. In an earlier thread besdor had this to say when commenting on the Huckel hat:

"Huckel is the oldest and largest hat factory today. The real name is Tonak. In the US , you will see hats made by them using the name Selentino. We sell their velour hats on our site. They also make hats for Stetson."

At $16, it's probably the best retail hat deal going. The ones I saw were made of fur felt, probably mostly rabbit. If there's any cat or dog fur, it's probably just to add character ;)
JINX!

Riposte3
10-16-2006, 09:07 AM

dean

I'll try and put some together tonight after work.

-Jake

Vermifuge
10-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Yeah a quick search turned this (http://www.goofball.com/news/981216_dog_fur) up and this (http://www.caft.org.uk/factsheets/cats-and-dogs.html).

Now, i have a question about nutria fur. How prevalent is it in the hat industry and is there any benefit to using it other then it being extremely cheap? I know they are a rodent that can be very destructive to marshes, rivers, bayous, and ponds. I know they have been looking for years to find uses for nutria. They have been going so far as to sell the meat over seas. I hear its quite popular in Japan.

Can any one say if it in any way effects the quality of a hat that comes from mixed fur

Vermifuge
10-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Actually, most, if not all, fur felt hats that come out of the Czech Repub. are made by a company named Tonak which, as far as I know, uses strictly hare and beaver to make their hats. My wife brought me a lovely Tonak back from Prague this past summer.

Nice looking hat! Enjoy.

I just wanted to clarify I wasnt insinuating the hat was made from dog or cat fur. Just that BCF has been guilty of it in the passed. Some people may not want to do business with them on that fact alone. As far as the hat, I agree its a sharp looking hat and quite a deal.

Now can we find them at places other then BCF?

Feraud
10-16-2006, 10:38 AM
I just wanted to clarify I wasnt insinuating the hat was made from dog or cat fur. Just that BCF has been guilty of it in the passed. Some people may not want to do business with them on that fact alone. As far as the hat, I agree its a sharp looking hat and quite a deal.

Now can we find them at places other then BCF? There is nothing wrong with pointing it out because BCF has apparently done this in the past. I would not do business with BCF knowing they were using dog or cat fur. I would assume the fur is a by-product of some god-awful meat producing process!

Thanks for the links!

DOUGLAS
10-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Nicely done Dean no matter what animal it was harvested from;)

RBH
10-16-2006, 12:59 PM
You are becoming quite the hatter.

Maj.Nick Danger
10-16-2006, 02:20 PM
I swear it's rabbit fur!
I will have to check out their hats now, seeing as they have a decent hat for a decent price.
(Made out of rodents) :D

Riposte3
10-16-2006, 09:04 PM

dean

Here they are! Enjoy!

Editing note: I'm not seeing the pics consistently, but the addresses are correct and the pics are on the server. If anyone else has problems seeing these let me know, and I'll try something else.

In the meantime, you can go here (http://jmiheve.balder.prohosting.com/hatpics.htm)to see them.

http://jmiheve.balder.prohosting.com/photos/hat1.jpg

http://jmiheve.balder.prohosting.com/photos/hatside1.jpg

http://jmiheve.balder.prohosting.com/photos/hatinner.jpg

http://jmiheve.balder.prohosting.com/photos/hattag.jpg

-Jake

deanglen
10-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Riposte3, thanks for the shots! Don't you love the classic look on a budget?This way you can save money for the big e-bay score. Vintage hats are the best, but these hats make great everyday wear.

dean

feltfan
10-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Now, i have a question about nutria fur. How prevalent is it in the hat industry and is there any benefit to using it other then it being extremely cheap? I know they are a rodent that can be very destructive to marshes, rivers, bayous, and ponds. I know they have been looking for years to find uses for nutria. They have been going so far as to sell the meat over seas. I hear its quite popular in Japan.

Can any one say if it in any way effects the quality of a hat that comes from mixed fur

I posted a couple of vintage hats with nutria fur recently.
I find this felt to be strong, obedient, and attractive.
Don't know that nutria fur is cheap, though it may be
less expensive than beaver. It was certainly an advertised
feature of those old Stetson hats.

Here's a pure nutria vintage hat:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12167

Here's a nutria blend hat:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12126

I note that Optimo still uses nutria blend felt. Don't know
who else does. Of course the content of the felt is only one
indication of its quality.

I didn't try the nutria meat down in LA. I stuck to TurDucKen.

Orgetorix
10-17-2006, 07:58 AM
I honestly don't want to stir up an argument or flame war, but I'm genuinely curious about this. I'm new here; if this has been discussed too many times before, just say so. Some folks have indicated squeamishness about buying from a retailer that sells items made with dog or cat fur. One person said he wouldn't want to promote "cruelty to animals." How is it cruel to kill a dog or a cat to use its fur in clothing or hats, but it's not cruel to do the same to rabbits, mink, beavers, nutria, etc.? (For the record, I'm not an animal-rights person, I think it's perfectly fine to use fur in clothing.) Maybe because I don't have dogs or cats for pets, I don't have the same sentimental reaction to the idea I might be wearing Rex or Fluffy on my head. I just don't see what the significant difference is between these.

(:offtopic:) I've also been wondering about the recent passage in Congress of the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, which prohibits the slaughter of horses for human consumption. Is there a substantive difference, aside from cultural prejudices, between consuming a horse and consuming a cow?

Somebody, please explain to me. I want to be sensitive to the sensibilities of my fellow human beings, but I'm confused.

feltfan
10-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Some folks have indicated squeamishness about buying from a retailer that sells items made with dog or cat fur. One person said he wouldn't want to promote "cruelty to animals." How is it cruel to kill a dog or a cat to use its fur in clothing or hats, but it's not cruel to do the same to rabbits, mink, beavers, nutria, etc.?

(:offtopic:) I've also been wondering about the recent passage in Congress of the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, which prohibits the slaughter of horses for human consumption.

Short response: Dog and cat fur is not as good as
beaver/nutria/etc. Dogs and cats are smarter (and longer
lived) than the aforementioned rodents. Dogs and cats have
much richer emotional lives. Finally, the rodents are often
real problems to people and need to be thinned, at least from
our perspective.

Morally, you have to put your stake
somewhere or you end up like Orson Welles' character in
The Third Man (note the Golden Era reference).
You can say all animals are the same or that some
characteristics matter to you or not. I have had as a pet just
about every animal you can think of. Dogs in particular are substantially
different emotionally and that matters to me. There are also, of course,
the reports of unnecessary cruelty in harvesting that fur in some countries.
It's not just excess fur that would go to waste if not used.

As for the horses, I understand that to be a complex issue
and defer to those who know the details better than I.

Feraud
10-17-2006, 08:12 AM
I think our attitude regarding fur or meat comes from our individual perspectives.
I appreciate beaver and rabbit fur hats but would despise a hat made from cat or dog. Having owned them as pets makes me feel like this. Had I grown up with a beaver as a pet I might feel differently about using their fur for decoration.
If that makes me a hypocrite in anyones eyes I can live with it. :)

Vermifuge
10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I posted a couple of vintage hats with nutria fur recently.
I find this felt to be strong, obedient, and attractive.
Don't know that nutria fur is cheap, though it may be
less expensive than beaver. It was certainly an advertised
feature of those old Stetson hats.

Here's a pure nutria vintage hat:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12167

Here's a nutria blend hat:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12126

I note that Optimo still uses nutria blend felt. Don't know
who else does. Of course the content of the felt is only one
indication of its quality.

I didn't try the nutria meat down in LA. I stuck to TurDucKen.

In Louisiana the nutria population is devastating marshes and wet lands. There is currently a bounty on all nutria of $5 a tail. Think about that. Individuals get $5 for every nutria tail they turn in. that leaves the rest of the animal for the trapper to do with as he wishes.

As I stated the meat is sold over seas and its fur I us used in the making of hats. I cant imagine nutria fur fetches a premium. I would assume its virtually free as the rodents tail probably coved the trapping costs 10 fold to begin with.

feltfan
10-17-2006, 10:50 AM
I suspect most of that wild nutria is not used for fur.
Nice if it were. But who is actively buying the skins
and making fur for felt from it? Probably they hit the
trash heap or are left in the swamp or are discarded
by the butcher. Looks like a niche for an enterprising Lounger.

Remember that in the days of the vintage hats, nutria was
expensive- imported from Venezuela. Until some clever fellow
decided to farm them in Louisiana. Reportedly it was the
family that owned Tabasco and supposedly they got free
off an island during a hurricane. So now they are a pest.

Vermifuge
10-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I suspect most of that wild nutria is not used for fur.
Nice if it were. But who is actively buying the skins
and making fur for felt from it? Probably they hit the
trash heap or are left in the swamp or are discarded
by the butcher. Looks like a niche for an enterprising Lounger.

Remember that in the days of the vintage hats, nutria was
expensive- imported from Venezuela. Until some clever fellow
decided to farm them in Louisiana. Reportedly it was the
family that owned Tabasco and supposedly they got free
off an island during a hurricane. So now they are a pest.

it reached a peak in the 80s at almost $9 a pelt. but it crashed along with the rest of the fur industry.

deanglen
10-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Found this site, from the names mentioned in this thread. Interesting. Probably wholesale only.

http://www.tonak.cz/ang/tonak.html

dean

Orgetorix
10-24-2006, 07:15 AM
I just picked up a tan hat ($35) at Burlington Coat Factory for my first foray into fedoras, and I have to say I'm pretty pleased. I didn't want to spend a lot on my first hat, and I haven't had good luck with eBay. So when I saw deanglen's post about his BCF hat, I thought it might be perfect for me.

The bash wasn't pretty and the ribbon was wrinkled from sitting on the shelf with other hats, but applying a good bit of steam fixed those problems. I put a c-crown bash in it, and I think it looks pretty nice. It's 100% fur felt, has a fake leather sweatband and a satin (probably synthetic) lining, and is marked "H?ckel Quality Hat" inside.

I have to say I'm pretty excited about it. I kept looking at the hat sitting on my dresser in my bedroom all night, and I enjoyed wearing it on my commute this morning. I'll try to dig out my digital camera and post some pictures later.

deanglen
10-24-2006, 08:44 AM
I saw those at Burlington and tried one on. I was about to buy it but I saw the grey one at half the cost. Glad you gave it a try! Can't wait to see your pics!

dean

Orgetorix
10-24-2006, 08:53 AM
I saw those at Burlington and tried one on. I was about to buy it but I saw the grey one at half the cost.

I actually would prefer a grey hat, but they only had a couple that weren't quite a shade I liked--grey with sort of a fish-green tint. Reminds me of a car my Dad used to have, and I never liked the color of the car, either.

deanglen
10-24-2006, 08:59 AM
I liked the part about the steam usage to tweak it the way you like it. I'm glad you're okay with it not being actual vintage, but still fur felt and classic in look. Check out this link:
http://www.milechai.com/judaica/huckel-black-hat.html
I wonder how good of a deal Burlington is offering?

dean

Orgetorix
10-24-2006, 09:09 AM
I liked the part about the steam usage to tweak it the way you like it. I'm glad you're okay with it not being actual vintage, but still fur felt and classic in look. Check out this link:
I wonder how good of a deal Burlington is offering?

dean

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it.

Maybe BCF is really offering a good deal, but I suspect Huckel probably makes various hats of different quality levels. If I were to pay $130 for a hat, I'd want a genuine leather sweatband and a silk liner, not to mention better quality felt.

deanglen
10-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it.

Maybe BCF is really offering a good deal, but I suspect Huckel probably makes various hats of different quality levels. If I were to pay $130 for a hat, I'd want a genuine leather sweatband and a silk liner, not to mention better quality felt.

I'm sure that's the case, too, I just wondered if Burlington got a deal on one of their cheaper hats. Still looking forward to your pictures.

dean

Orgetorix
10-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Finally got some pictures of my Burlington hat:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/404/dsc00004nq4.jpg

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7426/dsc00006ex1.jpg

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/8991/dsc00007ex0.jpg

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/4845/dsc00012wl4.jpg

Rick Blaine
10-27-2006, 08:14 AM
...I MUST get out to BCF after payday! Thanks for the imputus, mate!

Feraud
10-27-2006, 08:15 AM
That is not a bad looking hat at all! :eusa_clap

Orgetorix
10-27-2006, 08:18 AM
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/4845/dsc00012wl4.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1662/dsc00018wt3.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7396/dsc00020bg6.jpg

http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/3421/dsc00021ns8.jpg

deanglen
10-27-2006, 08:45 AM
There you have it! A TERRIFIC looking hat that has classic style and didn't break the bank! I rest my case. Way to show it! I'm pondering a trip to BCF today! Maybe another find in the offing. Thanks for the shots, Orgetorix, there are a few of us of limited means, at present, that appreciate your presentation.

dean

The Wingnut
10-27-2006, 08:54 AM
I've repeatedly heard of good fedora finds at BCF and every time I've been in there, have come up completely empty. Is it a regional / seasonal thing? Californians wouldn't know a good hat if they choked on one, maybe we don't get them out this way.

Orgetorix
10-27-2006, 09:07 AM
I've repeatedly heard of good fedora finds at BCF and every time I've been in there, have come up completely empty. Is it a regional / seasonal thing? Californians wouldn't know a good hat if they choked on one, maybe we don't get them out this way.

I couldn't say. When I picked this one up last week, it was the first time I'd every been in a BCF store. They had about three or four different styles and colors of fur felt hats, plus some wool junk.

Feraud
10-27-2006, 09:17 AM
I have not been in a BCF for years but I had found a couple of nice hats there.
It seems like a hit or miss kind of store. I have high waisted linen pants from there too. I suggest a periodic visit to look for bargains.

Joel Tunnah
10-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Add brim binding, and you'd have an Akubra Stylemaster (in looks at least) - except the Akubra cost $110... :(

Good find.

Orgetorix
10-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Add brim binding, and you'd have an Akubra Stylemaster (in looks at least) - except the Akubra cost $110... :(

Good find.

BCF actually had some very similar hats with brim binding. I liked the looks of the hat without better, though--can't remember specifically what made the difference to me.

PeeWee
10-27-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm game. For twenty bucks I'll at least go and put one on for looks tonight. It would surely make a good leaf raking hat.

RBH
10-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Closest BCF to me is, I believe in Memphis. I may just have to check them out.
Thanks for the pics.

The Wingnut
10-27-2006, 03:07 PM
I hit BCF at lunch. They had one fur felt fedora...no liner, and the felt was so rough that it must've been badger.

Digging through the trouser section revealed that Louis Raphael still has good taste. I need to wait for a clearance sale and go pick up all the patterned stuff in my size. Still paper thin, but it's got the right look.

jamespowers
10-27-2006, 03:18 PM
I hit BCF at lunch. They had one fur felt fedora...no liner, and the felt was so rough that it must've been badger.

Badger!? lol lol lol lol
How about Hampster? Everybody sing: www.hamsterdance.com.

Regards,

J

deanglen
10-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Of course, BCF wil NOT meet everyone's taste or standards. But then again, neither does e-bay, modern Stetsons, etc. We all know the best is vintage. A hat for leaf raking is maybe the best someone feels those hats are good for. What we call vintage, was,at one time perhaps considered run of the mill, but because it's a half dozen decades old, it's a treasure, aside from the superior workman ship and material of that time. They are what they are.

dean

jml90
10-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Could someone find me a gray BCF special I'm a 7 5/8.

Nick Charles
10-27-2006, 08:56 PM
JML I may go there this weekend, I'll email you if they have any.

jml90
10-27-2006, 09:32 PM
JML I may go there this weekend, I'll email you if they have any.
Thanks

deanglen
10-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Could someone find me a gray BCF special I'm a 7 5/8.

If Nick can't find one I think I can.

dean

jml90
10-28-2006, 09:33 PM
If Nick can't find one I think I can.

dean
Thanks

Nick Charles
10-29-2006, 09:23 PM
No luck at mine, just some soft
foldaway styles.

deanglen
10-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks

I'm working on getting you the hat. I have to get up to Flint where BCF is located. The one I remember seeing is 1 $16.98 special, grey, fur felt, black ribbon about 1" to 1 1/2" grosgrain, nice bow treatment, with I'd guess about 1 3/4" brim, edged similar to what we call the "cavanaugh edge", no liner and a fabric sweatband, black. It is sized "XL" which I would think would include 7 5/8, or a 62cm, but given it's fabric sweatband it would stretch well to fit, my two BCF specials have some stretchability to them. Still interested?

dean

PeeWee
10-30-2006, 10:32 AM
It was "slim pickings" at BCF on the hats. The lady said the grays and browns in my size flew off the shelves pretty quick. I did get a look and feel at them and was impressed at the $20 to $40 price range. I really liked the bound edge style. I'll check another store not too far away later this week.

jml90
10-30-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm working on getting you the hat. I have to get up to Flint where BCF is located. The one I remember seeing is 1 $16.98 special, grey, fur felt, black ribbon about 1" to 1 1/2" grosgrain, nice bow treatment, with I'd guess about 1 3/4" brim, edged similar to what we call the "cavanaugh edge", no liner and a fabric sweatband, black. It is sized "XL" which I would think would include 7 5/8, or a 62cm, but given it's fabric sweatband it would stretch well to fit, my two BCF specials have some stretchability to them. Still interested?

dean
Not if it's that small a brim. I think they look silly on me.

deanglen
10-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I guess you'd call it a stingy brim. I'll keep my eyes open for something more to your taste.

dean

jml90
10-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I guess you'd call it a stingy brim. I'll keep my eyes open for something more to your taste.

dean
Yeah, ideally something in your style. I'm willing to go with any shade of gray or even black

deanglen
10-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Yeah, ideally something in your style. I'm willing to go with any shade of gray or even black

Noted. Will inform you if anything turns up.

dean

deanglen
11-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Here's my latest BCF find, originally I did it as an Indy with a thick ribbon and bow with a center dent but gravitated toward my beloved 3/8" thin grosgrain with OR style bow and "C" bash. The frustrating thing is, I cannot do a bound edge because I don't use sewing machines and probably wouldn't get it right anyway. Returned my vintage OR to the tear drop "C" dent it originally had. Kept the other grey BCF hat with the diamond bash just for variety sake.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/Fedora1_edited.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/IMGP0135.jpg

dean

Bud-n-Texas
11-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Good looking hats Dean, you are building quite a stable. :fedora:

Feraud
11-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Nice job deanglen! You have certainly found your niche with those Open Roads.
Can I suggest something? Get yourself a trashed beater hat and practice binding the edge. Practice makes perfect and I have a feeling your desire will accelerate the learning process.

deanglen
11-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Nice job deanglen! You have certainly found your niche with those Open Roads.
Can I suggest something? Get yourself a trashed beater hat and practice binding the edge. Practice makes perfect and I have a feeling your desire will accelerate the learning process.

I would! I have to learn how to use a sewing machine. Ours is broken. Congress won't approve funding to fix it. I have wondered if one of those handheld sewing jobbies would work. Don't know if the felt would make it too tough. I would love to imitate a Stratoliner, a Marathon, even a Whippet or something similar. Open Roads are great but I'd like to broaden it a bit.

dean

jml90
11-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Dean I found myself a NOS hat from local shop in a crusable felt so I'm good.

deanglen
11-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Dean I found myself a NOS hat from local shop in a crusable felt so I'm good.

Okay. If I find anything you might be interested in, I'll PM you just in case. Are you going to post any shots of your hat, love to see it!

dean

jml90
11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Okay. If I find anything you might be interested in, I'll PM you just in case. Are you going to post any shots of your hat, love to see it!

dean
Sure tomorrow

Fedorista
11-01-2006, 07:51 PM
...I would love to imitate a Stratoliner, a Marathon, even a Whippet or something similar...
dean

Nitpickin: Marathon is to Penneys as Craftsman and Kenmore are to Sears. It is an in house brand, not a style.

deanglen
11-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Nitpickin: Marathon is to Penneys as Craftsman and Kenmore are to Sears. It is an in house brand, not a style.

Knew that; just rattled off the names of hats
I'd seen that I liked.

dean

Bud-n-Texas
11-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Dean after all the talk, I stopped by BCF today to check out the hats. I saw many, most were fur felt. The majority of what they had were very stiff and not very pliable, none seemed to be as nice as those available at your BFC. That having been said, there was 1 that was soft as many of my vintage Stetsons, or Borso's. It fit nice, felt nice , but was a short brim and just did not suit me. How I wish the brim was a bit wider. I will keep my eye on their inventory, who know what may show up later.

deanglen
11-03-2006, 09:48 PM
I've got to say that I've investigated another BCF today and found an absolutely beautiful, soft as butter, bound edge with nice 1" ribbon and bow treatment, brim about 2 1/2", but it was a size 6 7/8. I need 7 3/8, or "L". The two I have purchased just happened to be there. It must be hit or miss. Too bad. I wish one of our vendors could get some of these hats, the wider brim, softer felt, and offer them. I plan to drop in regularly at the BCF near me and if I find some good ones I'll post the ones I get and maybe someone would want them if I already have one like it. I guess I'll have to post in the "Classified" section, to be proper about it.

dean

Bud-n-Texas
11-03-2006, 10:07 PM
I was very disappointed that the soft one today, was stingy in brim width. It was a nice green and we all know the rage over green hats these days. There was a mint green one, but it was one of the stiff ones.

deanglen
11-04-2006, 10:23 AM
I was very disappointed that the soft one today, was stingy in brim width. It was a nice green and we all know the rage over green hats these days. There was a mint green one, but it was one of the stiff ones.

Your hat in your avatar of the moment looks like mine! Looks SHARP!

dean

Bud-n-Texas
11-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks Dean, Thats my Strat, soft as butter and smooth as silk.

deanglen
11-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I think I'm hitting BCF tomorrow. What size do you wear?

dean

RBH
11-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Did BCF have anything I would have liked in a 7 1\2? I have had no luck in finding anything around here.
I think our taste are pretty close on the hats, as the ones you have reworked I LOVE!
Holler back if you can...

deanglen
11-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Did BCF have anything I would have liked in a 7 1\2? I have had no luck in finding anything around here.
I think our taste are pretty close on the hats, as the ones you have reworked I LOVE!
Holler back if you can...

Leaving now. Will let you know!

dean

deanglen
11-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Black in the right size but who really wants a black fedora. Someone might. Let me know. There was a brown fur felt that I would change the ribbon on, sized "L" but I wasn't sure the felt finish was nice enough and a little stiff, but was the only one I might consider. . Color like the one I have on in my avatar. (Can a person sand the finish of the felt to get it smoother?) A couple of nice "M" sizes, one a nice tan, very soft, pliable, and decent brim size, at least 2- 2 1/2" I'd guess. A couple of grey fur felt, not stingies, but not raw edge like I'd like, but something similar to a cavanaugh, or rolled over edge. Someone might not mind that. A Brown "XL", "L" and "M" like that. Brown similar to my avatar hat. Some nice soft Huckel black fedoras. 7 5/8, 7 3/8 going for $39.99 A grey "M", nice high crown, wider than normal. at least 2 3/4" brim black grosgrain, $16.98 special furfelt. This is the best I can remember. I can go back tomorrow if anyone is interested.

dean

RBH
11-05-2006, 05:37 PM
thanks for looking, I would not mind one like the one you have on in your avatar.
I have a black Country Gentleman that is my 'garden hat' and I dont favor black to much anyway.
Thanks again for taking the time to look for all of us! :eusa_clap

deanglen
11-05-2006, 06:34 PM
thanks for looking, I would not mind one like the one you have on in your avatar.
I have a black Country Gentleman that is my 'garden hat' and I dont favor black to much anyway.
Thanks again for taking the time to look for all of us! :eusa_clap

I can get the "L" brown. I compared it to my OR which wore to the store to make some size comparisons. It fit very similarly. I'm sure you could stretch it if it was tight on your 7 1/2 head. It's a fabric sweatband. Nice brown color. But comparing the felt finish to my OR, it is a bit rougher, but maybe you could try to smooth it somehow. For the price, $16.98 plus tax, I think it's a deal for a fur felt hat. It cries for a thin ribbon of complimentary shade. The crown is not as high as my OR, but, after all it's NOT an OR. I'll go back tomorrow and ponder purchasing it if it's still there. If you don't want it. I'll keep it.

dean

RBH
11-05-2006, 06:42 PM
dont think it would fit... I favor the higher crown, on my melon the short ones look kinds goofy :p
but keep me in mind on a 7 1\2 should you run across one.
lol lol lol I would pay big bucks for a custom DEANGLEN FEDORA lol lol lol

deanglen
11-05-2006, 06:46 PM
I'll keep my eyes open and who knows? I really like what Dalexs did with that hat blank! The possibilities are positively scintillating! I just wish I could use a sewing machine! Till then, I'll modify cheap BCF hats! Hope to find you one soon!

dean

BigDawgBarkin
11-06-2006, 09:35 AM
DEANGLEN,

I tried to PM you but for some reason I can't seem to get authorization. I'd be interested in the "M" size tan hat that you found at your BCF as long as it's of the quality that you mentioned with your initial BCF finds and the brim is no wider than 2 1/2". Just let me know the details.

BDB

deanglen
11-06-2006, 10:09 AM
DEANGLEN,

I tried to PM you but for some reason I can't seem to get authorization. I'd be interested in the "M" size tan hat that you found at your BCF as long as it's of the quality that you mentioned with your initial BCF finds and the brim is no wider than 2 1/2". Just let me know the details.

BDB

I think you have to post more messages, perhaps. I'll be heading back up to BCF today and if the hat is still there, I'll pick it up for you because is IS a nice fur felt with suppleness and if it's your size I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I would describe it as a tan version of the grey one pictured at the start of this thread.The ribbon is dark but not unattractive, and afterall you can change that quite easily. If the hat was good for me, I'd slap some thin ribbon of a complimentary shade with squared off bow treatment. The brim is not excessive, I'll bet no way is it more than 2 1/2", in fact it balances the whole hat well. I could wear the hat, but it's a but tight on me and I'm not a big fan of stretching.

dean

BigDawgBarkin
11-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks! I checked our BCF but they only had one fur felt. It was nice looking (in fact it looked like the hat in your avatar) but it was a large so I didn't get it. Thanks for going to all this trouble to help out fellow Lounge members!

jml90
11-06-2006, 03:04 PM
What'd they have in XL?

deanglen
11-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks! I checked our BCF but they only had one fur felt. It was nice looking (in fact it looked like the hat in your avatar) but it was a large so I didn't get it. Thanks for going to all this trouble to help out fellow Lounge members!

The tan was gone. Sorry. But there was what I would call 1) a "rust" rather stiff but smooth, 2) a color I would call dusty mauve stiff but smooth, smaller brim width, and 3)a grey with a rolled over edge, all size "M" There's a nice grey with a brim wider than I think you would want size "M". Might be able to get up there tomorrow or Thursday.

dean

jml90
11-06-2006, 04:08 PM
The tan was gone. Sorry. But there was what I would call 1) a "rust" rather stiff but smooth, 2) a color I would call dusty mauve stiff but smooth, smaller brim width, and 3)a grey with a rolled over edge, all size "M" There's a nice grey with a brim wider than I think you would want size "M". Might be able to get up there tomorrow or Thursday.

dean
No Xls?

deanglen
11-06-2006, 04:09 PM
What'd they have in XL?

A reddish brown fur felt size "XL" that I think is okay, admittedly a bit rough, but has a nice rolled over stitched edge and fake leather sweatband and I think it's $19.95. They have some nice Huckel black fedoras, and I mean they feel nice and pliable and smooth, leather, or faux lather sweatbands with silk linings nice grosgrain ribbon and bow, in 7 5/8. I guess I'm failing as a buyer for you guys, the selection seems a bit picked over. I think I got the best two in my size a month ago. But I intend to watch like a hawk and when something good comes I'll post it.

dean

BigDawgBarkin
11-06-2006, 09:09 PM
I appreciate you going back to look for the tan hat for me. I'll pass on the wider brimmed grey one. Keep your eye out for another tan one though, that's the color I'm looking for to wear as my everyday hat.

BDB

ideaguy
11-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Deanglen: Your taste in hats is a mirror of mine-and I love the fact that you've
circumvented the ebay machine- a thin ribboned, OR/Strat style,raw edge,in a gray-taupe-mink color from BCF would be worth some moneys to me, so if you
are planning any trips in the near future, a 7 3/8 (L?) would be most appreciated-you're now the official broker...please send me a P.M. and a bill!!
thanks M

deanglen
11-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Deanglen: Your taste in hats is a mirror of mine-and I love the fact that you've
circumvented the ebay machine- a thin ribboned, OR/Strat style,raw edge,in a gray-taupe-mink color from BCF would be worth some moneys to me, so if you
are planning any trips in the near future, a 7 3/8 (L?) would be most appreciated-you're now the official broker...please send me a P.M. and a bill!!
thanks M

Always willing to serve! :) They're getting to know me at BCF: "YOU! Back again!?" I'm actually considering a conversation with the manager to see what they might have back in the stockroom, or at least see when their next shipment is due!

dean

Rick Blaine
11-11-2006, 06:31 AM
Always willing to serve! :) They're getting to know me at BCF: "YOU! Back again!?" I'm actually considering a conversation with the manager to see what they might have back in the stockroom, or at least see when their next shipment is due!

dean

You might ought to ask him how many units we would have to buy for a volume discount. I would be in f/ at least 2 of the sort (that was until recently) in yr. avatar, I am thinking a gray & a brown in 59 or 60 cm?

deanglen
11-11-2006, 06:35 AM
You might ought to ask him how many units we would have to buy for a volume discount. I would be in f/ at least 2 of the sort (that was until recently) in yr. avatar, I am thinking a gray & a brown in 59 or 60 cm?

Glad you mentioned that, Rick. Might prove fruitful.

dean

deanglen
11-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Check the classified, going in for another hat hunt at BCF!

dean

deanglen
11-14-2006, 05:29 PM
They have no control over what hats they get at the BCF near me. Manager said I'd just have to haunt the place. I will. Found two more BCF I can get to, hoping thursday to check one of them.

dean

deanglen
12-05-2006, 07:20 PM
I did this hat to wear on the day of my daughter's wedding, which I performed as her pastor and her father. I didn't wear it during the service, just in case some wag was getting ready to ask. Anyway, it's a black fur felt hat from Burlington Coat Factory, and it was a nice $17. but more of a charcoal gray/black with a fabric sweatband and of course, no liner. The felt is light and soft. I added a black 3/8" grosgrain with a modified Stetson Stratoliner bow treatment, modified because I trimmed the ends square and close to the bow,versus the longer bevel cut ends. I hand sewed a brim binding, and the black thread on the black ribbon makes the O.K. sewing job done in a hurry to get it done by wedding day 12/02/06 practically invisible. The Stratoliner Pin is a gift I truly treasure from RBH and it breaks up the overall darkness of the hat. It has a C crown because I was going for a Stratoliner look, (though a Stratoliner in mourning), and I am overall pleased with how it came out. Looking back at these pictures I think Bill's camera wide angle lens makes the hat look small on my head, and to iilustrate, as soon as I get some shots from the day of the wedding I think I'll post them to illustrate what I mean. And the hat clearly has a taper to it that broadcasts its inexpensive, non-"vintage" real self. Used software to improve images:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/oooooo.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/uuuuuuuuu.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/yyyyyyyyy.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/eeeeeeee.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/deanglen/ppppppp.jpg

dean

Mr. Lucky
12-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Fanstastic, Dean! Really, are you sure I can't send mine back to you?

deanglen
12-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Fanstastic, Dean! Really, are you sure I can't send mine back to you?

You're serious?

dean

Mr. Lucky
12-05-2006, 10:04 PM
You're serious?

dean
Alas, I've already done my damage. I'll just have to grin and wear it! But, next time around, I will leave my purchase in your capable hands a bit longer. Again, nice work.

kiltedjeeper
12-05-2006, 11:08 PM
very nice, and actually almost exactly what I've been looking for.

Where's this "Guess Where" place?

feltfan
12-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Part of what I find interesting about these hats
you've been doing, Dean, is that they come out
nicer than most hats you see in hat stores these days.
There's just a little extra umph to your hats that
isn't in the factory lids.

It goes to show you what a little attention to detail
can do.

deanglen
12-06-2006, 03:19 AM
very nice, and actually almost exactly what I've been looking for.

Where's this "Guess Where" place?

Hi! Thank you! It's the Burlington Coat Factory. They have a selection of men's hats that often includes inexpensive fur felt hats that are prime candidates for renovation to "vintage" style. These are my baby steps toward an as yet speculative hat production career. Welcome to the Lounge!

dean

deanglen
12-06-2006, 03:20 AM
Alas, I've already done my damage. I'll just have to grin and wear it! But, next time around, I will leave my purchase in your capable hands a bit longer. Again, nice work.

So you won't be posting any pictures of it? I'm sure you're being too modest. Love to see your hat, on you, too.

dean

deanglen
12-06-2006, 03:28 AM

can do.

Thanks. I hope to improve with each attempt. So you think I could block out the taper? I imagine those hat blocks are not cheap. I wonder how I could accomplish the same thing in a more 'improvisational' way.

dean

RBH
12-06-2006, 06:45 AM
great job !
FeltFan hit it dead on. That little bit of attention gives your hats that added push.
Dean check out this place for blocks
http://www.hatshapers.com/Whats_a_Hatshaper.htm
I think a few of our fellow Loungers have and use these. I am thinking about one for my western to fedora hats, I would think it would be great to get out all the old bash marks.
Have you thought about getting your next hat a size big, then when you put your ribbon on tighten it up to fit your head. That might get rid of a little bit of taper. It would also work good if you had one of those blocks, in your size of course. Wet the felt real well then streach the felt over the block, The extra in the size department would keep you from losing brim width, you might even gain a little.
Once again great work, look forward to seeing more of it.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

deanglen
12-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Great link, RBH. And good advice on using one. So getting, let's say, an "XL" $17 special would save me brim width, and produce some reverse taper, if not eliminate the taper altogether? Tightening the ribbon would size it down, and keep it from being too loose on the crown? Okay. From another source I found out that hatters use a special type of ribbon, not the craft store stuff I used. I think I've seen it offered on some hat supply sites. Have to look into that.

dean

Simon82
12-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Awesome, Dean. Really nice -- I think in the near future you may be able to drop the "a" off your "avocation." :eusa_clap

And RBH's ideas sound like they'll work great. I look forward to the next generation of Budget Beater (or is that "Budget Beaver," as in whatever animal BCF uses for its felt) fedoras!

Bud-n-Texas
12-06-2006, 07:32 AM
RBH those Hatshapers are interesting, I can not help but wonder just what "virgin plastic" is. :rolleyes: I have heard that virgin wool, comes from ugly sheep. Could it be that virgin plastic comes from ugly oil? :eek:

Bud-n-Texas
12-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Nice looking hat Dean and a belated congrats to the father in law as well as the happy couple.

deanglen
12-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Awesome, Dean. Really nice -- I think in the near future you may be able to drop the "a" off your "avocation." :eusa_clap

And RBH's ideas sound like they'll work great. I look forward to the next generation of Budget Beater (or is that "Budget Beaver," as in whatever animal BCF uses for its felt) fedoras!

Thanks, Simon, actually I believe almost anyone could do what I've done. I like the doing, the wearing, and the sharing of the hats. I like the name Budget Beater for its multiple meanings: a) helps some of us enjoy "vintage" looking style without being limited by shortage of funds, and b) an inexpensive "everyday" hat that can take some wear and tear; a "beater". Somebody said Tonak hats at BCF are primarily rabbit, I think.

dean

deanglen
12-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Nice looking hat Dean and a belated congrats to the father in law as well as the happy couple.

Thanks, Bud! Looking forward to shots of your black fedora.

dean

feltfan
12-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Dean check out this place for blocks
http://www.hatshapers.com/Whats_a_Hatshaper.htm
I think a few of our fellow Loungers have and use these. I am thinking about one for my western to fedora hats, I would think it would be great to get out all the old bash marks.

Those blocks have a form for the crown and dents.
You'll probably need something like that for finishing the
hat (assuming the felt isn't so good that you can hand bash).
But what I was thinking of was a simple open crown block like
the ones in the fifth picture here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13238

You don't need the machine mthatter has just to take out the taper.
BTW, those blocks don't look too tough to make (and wouldn't be
too expensive to order from a local woodworker).

Another thing to consider with those plastic blocks is that you might
need to exert some pressure on the felt. Don't know how the plastic
takes heat and pressure. Personally, I find the plastic blocks a bit
sterile in their designs- something a little too pat, compared to a real
vintage block (keep in mind that I find most C-crowns too modern looking).
But I guess if you use one of those things and then beat the hat up
a bit its innate character will out.

deanglen
12-06-2006, 10:46 AM
But I guess if you use one of those things and then beat the hat up
a bit its innate character will out.

I love the way you put that!lol :eusa_clap You read my mind, FeltFan, I started thinking of alternate ways of making things to accomplish the same end, again, I tend to think improvisationally due to resource scarcity. BTW, isn't it annoying how black hats photograph blue?

dean

ideaguy
12-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Dean: How about advertising for blocks wanted? We've recently seen a couple of hatters' shops for sale, block,stock,and barrel- there just might be a few hordes of blocks out there, and since you're in a relatively narrow arena-Fedoras-you might score handily; start by asking our esteemed hatters if they have any wooden blocks available; I have read disparaging reports about the plastic molds-too plastic looking of a hat results... great work on the greyish hat- I'd love one with no taper/a reverse taper- take a 7 1/2 down to the 7 3/8
L.O. ??
Keep the peace M

RBH
12-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Here is the hat shaper I was thinking af getting...
http://www.hatshapers.com/Product%20Pages/Straight_Sided_Dome.htm
Then you can put your custom bash in. I too am not as crazy about the 'factory' bash.

Here are a past thread on Hat Shapers.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13857&highlight=hat+shapers
I think they would be fine for cleaning and blocking but maybe not for making a hat from the brim up.

deanglen
12-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey, RBH,
Did you see what I meant about the Stratoliner pin being perfect for the hat? Really sets it off, I think.

dean

RBH
12-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Hey, RBH,
Did you see what I meant about the Stratoliner pin being perfect for the hat? Really sets it off, I think.

dean

That hat set the pin off!
Really looks great.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
What ya think of that last block? I think it would be perfect for the kind of mod work we are doing now.

deanglen
12-06-2006, 02:31 PM
That hat set the pin off!
Really looks great.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
What ya think of that last block? I think it would be perfect for the kind of mod work we are doing now.

That's the one I noticed too, Of all of them, I'd buy that one.

dean

SHARPETOYS
12-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Here is the hat shaper I was thinking af getting...
Then you can put your custom bash in. I too am not as crazy about the 'factory' bash.

Here are a past thread on Hat Shapers.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13857&highlight=hat+shapers
I think they would be fine for cleaning and blocking but maybe not for making a hat from the brim up.

That is one I own... Buy it smaller than your head size so the hat fits over the shaper.

RBH
12-06-2006, 03:39 PM
That is one I own... Buy it smaller than your head size so the hat fits over the shaper.

Thanks Sharpy.
I wear a 23 1\2 so I would take a 22 1\2 then. Also I assume you have to remove the sweat?
Thanks for the info... thats what makes this place great.

kiltedjeeper
12-06-2006, 11:56 PM
well I'll be darn, why didn't I think of this.

What'd it run you?

I lucked out today- I found a Fedora-esque hat [to my eyes, anyway-- and it immediately drew a "oh you bought an Indiana Jones hat" from the wife] for $29 at the local Boot Jack. Surprising, since it's a western shop- I felt sure I'd only see cowboy hats, or overly-expensive lids.

Not so-- found this http://www.suncatcherhats.com/pics_woolfelt/15028.jpg sort of hat (the band is only slightly different)- for $30!

Sure it's not top of the line, not vintage, etc. I don't care. It's variety- I've been wearing strictly oiled leather Aussie bush hats for years. This one's a crusher as well, so it ought to survive me :D

can do.

RBH
12-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Nice looking hat kiltedjeeper ..
Imagine what Dean could do to it with a little ribbon lol

kiltedjeeper
12-09-2006, 03:45 PM
don't think I haven't thought of this! I will very likely be going back and grabbing another one in the darker color for this sort of treatment.

I just need to learn how to get the thing to take a proper bash, and I'm golden.

Roger
12-10-2006, 11:15 AM
You did an excellent job. Very original and artistic.;)

Johnny Turner
12-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Well I am a BCF convert now. My wife is a little miffed that I found my fourth or fifth budget hat there. I have been going at least once a week and picking through the decent selection. They seem to get new hats in once a week. What's fifteen or thirty bucks once a week?

Sir Dobbs
12-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is Burlington Coat Factory? I've never seen one in these parts.

Mindraker
12-19-2006, 05:48 AM
(:offtopic:) I've also been wondering about the recent passage in Congress of the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, which prohibits the slaughter of horses for human consumption. Is there a substantive difference, aside from cultural prejudices, between consuming a horse and consuming a cow?

When I was in Belgium back in '86, horse meat was still for sale, "viande chevaline"/"paardenvlees". My parents had noticed that its popularity was fading noticably since their previous visits back in the seventies. When I went back in '91, it had faded out even more -- apparently horse meat was something you ate "during the war", according to the Belgians.
Another concern, horse meat apparently contains almost no fat. If you eat exclusively horse meat, your body will have insufficient fat, and give you dietary problems.
Of course, not to mention that in the United States, the beef industry is topping $80 billion (http://www.ers.usda.gov/news/BSECoverage.htm), and I sure don't ever remember seeing "horse meat" in the Winn-Dixie. The beef lobby (in Washington, D.C.) did a schweet cover up of Mad Cow disease by having it magically stop in Mexico. That was awfully nice of those Mad Cows. Just like the immigrants. Stopped at the Mexican border, realized they didn't have a visa, and went back home.

chucklehead
09-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Hats at Burlington Coat Factory

The has been an influx of wool felt hats at Burlington Coat Factory.
Are they high quality? No not really. For those on a budget they would be great.

:p :p :p

Undertow
09-06-2007, 09:03 AM
You don't happen to have any pics do you?

I know I bought a fedora from there a year or two ago and for the longest time I thought it was wool felt. It wasn't until recently that I actually looked at the tag on the inside of the liner to realize it was labeled as "fur felt".

The quality was terrible but hey, it was only $15. I think it was made by Aaron and Sons, whoever that might be.

deanglen
09-06-2007, 09:34 AM
For the information of those interested I merged three threads.

dean

warbird
09-06-2007, 09:38 AM
The fur felt Huckel is a nice hat for the money. I'm not big on their lines lower than the Huckel, but it is a nice and comfortable hat. They also have nice British drivers and such from time to time at excellent prices. it very hit and miss.

Mug
09-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I've picked up two so far from BCF. A black fur felt Huckel and an unmarked navy blue one with grosgrain sweatband, also fur felt. Both are tapered and have low crowns, but look very nice. Both have wide brims. The Huckel was $20 and the unmarked one (my favorite) was only $7.90.....it was discounted AND on sale.

J.T.Marcus
09-06-2007, 10:47 AM
My latest BCF was a light grey fur felt, made in Eastern Europe, with a brim as big as a cowboy hat. However, there is not the least bit of stiffener in the hat! I'll probably cut it down to a 2 5/8" brim, and replace the fabric sweatband with leather. (Oh yeah, it was on final mark-down for $6.)

thunderw21
09-06-2007, 11:17 AM
My latest BCF was a light grey fur felt, made in Eastern Europe, with a brim as big as a cowboy hat. However, there is not the least bit of stiffener in the hat! I'll probably cut it down to a 2 5/8" brim, and replace the fabric sweatband with leather. (Oh yeah, it was on final mark-down for $6.)

Nice! Definitely post pictures when you're done with it.

Mr. Lucky
09-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Stopped in last week and picked up FOUR Huckels - two bound brim, two raw edge - for about 11 bucks apiece. Now, I'm just not sure what I'm gonna' do with 'em!

WideBrimm
09-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Stopped in last week and picked up FOUR Huckels - two bound brim, two raw edge - for about 11 bucks apiece. Now, I'm just not sure what I'm gonna' do with 'em!

Huh? [huh] Wear 'em, of course :)

Kentucky Blues
09-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Last time I was at BCF, they had very few felt hats, and the vast majority were wool. They had plenty of the paper straw, and they had some felt caps and such, but not much else. Once the weather starts cooling down, I'm gonna check back, as I assume their selection is seasonal. And the last hat I got there that was fur felt, is now my favorite shapeless green felt cone :p

kpreed
09-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Hello all,:)
I do not of a BCF around here, but I do know of one back home and next visit I will check it out for-sure.

WideBrimm
09-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Hello all,:)
I do not of a BCF around here, but I do know of one back home and next visit I will check it out for-sure.

Next time you're in metro Denver you might check out BCF in Aurora (I-225 & Mississippi). I was just there the other day. New supply of nice hats. I bought a nice grey wool felt fedora for $20.

kpreed
09-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Thank you, did not know that:)

VegasMike
09-06-2007, 06:22 PM
After reading this thread, I swung over to BCF downtown after work and got a good score. I'll definately be making this trip every payday or so to see what I can find.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1293/1338396445_e1252eaef8.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1006/1339281108_e350450b56.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1225/1339281030_59b46e2532.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1172/1339280972_132d7d895d.jpg

It's a little floppy, anyone got advice on how to stiffen it up a bit?

deanglen
09-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Vegasmike, you can purchase hat stiffener from one of our vendors.

dean

J.T.Marcus
09-06-2007, 07:49 PM
VegasMike, It ain't floppy, it's soft and smooth. :eusa_clap

VegasMike
09-06-2007, 08:48 PM
hmm, could be, I've never had one this soft. I was actually really stoked when I found it, cause A) I've never had one this color, and B) They sold it to me for 20 bucks cause it had no tag, so they priced it the same as the cheaper wool hats. The brim is very malleable, and molds into cool styles easily.

Fletch
09-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Nice Hückel...I got one in pearl grey for $19.99 here in NYC. I'll have to check back and see if the brown is in.

VegasMike
09-07-2007, 10:05 AM
It's actually a strange color brown, in light it almost looks Peach, but in the camera and in a dim room, it looks like a light brown. Kinda cool actually, it's like a chameleon hat :)

J.T.Marcus
09-08-2007, 07:12 AM
It's 9:00 Saturday morning, and there is absolutely no action on the Lounge. So, I guess I'll go to Burlington Coat Factory, and see if I bump into any of you guys there.

Starius
09-08-2007, 07:25 AM
This thread makes me wish I could go to a Burlington's Coat Factory.

But the closest ones to me are Omaha, Des Moines, or Minneapolis.
:(

fatwoul
09-08-2007, 10:09 AM
It's actually a strange color brown, in light it almost looks Peach, but in the camera and in a dim room, it looks like a light brown. Kinda cool actually, it's like a chameleon hat :)

Hats - or fabrics - with certain red and blue dyes in them do that, because the dyes are slightly IR and UV responsive respectively. My Fed Dlx does the same thing, to an extent, because you can see the brown does have some red content.

deanglen
09-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Hats - or fabrics - with certain red and blue dyes in them do that, because the dyes are slightly IR and UV responsive respectively. My Fed Dlx does the same thing, to an extent, because you can see the brown does have some red content.

I purchased fedoras at BCF that I thought were a soft green, at least that is how they looked in the store under their lighting, but outside they were grey.

dean

WideBrimm
09-08-2007, 04:42 PM
I purchased fedoras at BCF that I thought were a soft green, at least that is how they looked in the store under their lighting, but outside they were grey.

dean

I purchased a nice fedora at BCF some months ago in a grey-green color. Label says "Made in Czech Republic".

funneman
09-08-2007, 04:55 PM
This thread makes me wish I could go to a Burlington's Coat Factory.

But the closest ones to me are Omaha, Des Moines, or Minneapolis.
:(

Can't you take your space ship? Looks like you have one in your avatar;)

J.T.Marcus
09-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Well, it's after 8:00 on Saturday. It took a while to go to and come back from the nearest BCF. I didn't bump into any of you guys, probably because that store didn't have any of the fur felts we've been getting excited about. I even asked if they had gotten a new shipment. They had, but they were all black wool. Oh well, "Tomorrow's another day."

Starius
09-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Can't you take your space ship? Looks like you have one in your avatar;)

Some punks stole it and crashed it into the moon.

I mean... come on, it's outer space for crying out loud! Vast expanse of the universe and they crash it into the only thing in orbit....

Damn kids.

Paratrooper
09-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Well I found one of the huckle hats in a black 100% felt fur in black with a wide ribbon on Thursday in a 7-1/2 (yeah it fits) the other times I have bene in thier they never have anything that fits my big mellon of a head.
Got nothing but comploments from the family when I wore it at the funeral for my grandmother.
I'll post a pict of it later, but I love it.

fatwoul
09-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, Paratrooper.

Not wishing to distract from the topic (nor indeed make light of Paratrooper's post), but could someone briefly outline whether there is any additional hat etiquette at funerals? I know the basic rules that would apply (indoors, outdoors, churches, friends/strangers, etc), but a funeral is an exceptional event, so may have exceptional rules regarding hats. I'm not a religious person, but I'd like to know for future reference.

Looking forward to seeing this black variety. Being in the UK, this entire thread is alien to me, so it makes for particularly interesting reading.

VegasMike
09-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Nice find! Sorry bout your grandmother passing though, heckuva way to break in a new hat.

I've noticed (well, based on mine) that the Huckel's seems to actually run big, as the one I picked up fits me great, and it's a 7 1/4, whereas I usually wear a 7 3/8 - 7 1/2.

J.T.Marcus
09-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Are the Huckel hats the same as, or related to, this?

deanglen
09-09-2007, 03:56 PM

I believe so, J.T..

dean

Undertow
09-11-2007, 02:20 PM

Man...and to think I bought my Huckel from BCF for $16. Nice black Homburg, fur felt, satin lining. I didn't realize that brand sold for so much.

J.T.Marcus
09-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I finally found a BCF that had a Huckel in stock. They only had one, and the tag was missing. After 20 minutes of trying to find a price, they let me have it for $9.99. It is, however, one size too big. Pics will follow when I've re-sized it. I can see why you guys are excited about these things.

J.T.Marcus
09-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Here are my acquisitions from last week's visit to another Burlington Coat Factory.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x130/JTMarcus/SN7844.jpg

I took the Huckel apart, and re-sized it (down) to 7 1/8. Note: This is, without a doubt, the best assembled hat I have ever redone. Quality construction. The sweatband even looks to be leather (at least bonded leather), rather than synthetic.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x130/JTMarcus/P1040142.jpg

LEUII
09-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Nice lid.

I may just have to stop by the mall on the way home.

HamletJSD
09-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Man, I have never seen hats like that at BCF! Fantastic!
... cheap black wool is all I have ever seen. Oh and some sort of cap looking thing with so much stiffener it is a helmet ...

And Fatwoul, not to make light of anyone's loss or your question ... but my wife had a very specific answer for me when I asked the same question before her Grandmother's funeral a few months back.
The etiquette she subtly suggested was, "You are NOT wearing a hat to a funeral."
I am certain I have seen hats there before, though. I would think there must be some courtesy extended beyond the norm ...

indycop
09-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Man, I have never seen hats like that at BCF! Fantastic!
... cheap black wool is all I have ever seen. Oh and some sort of cap looking thing with so much stiffener it is a helmet ...

And Fatwoul, not to make light of anyone's loss or your question ... but my wife had a very specific answer for me when I asked the same question before her Grandmother's funeral a few months back.
The etiquette she subtly suggested was, "You are NOT wearing a hat to a funeral."
I am certain I have seen hats there before, though. I would think there must be some courtesy extended beyond the norm ...
My grandfathers funeral was way back in the eighties. He was a retired colonel so it was a military funeral. There were hats worn and when taps and the salute was given they took them off and then put them back on when it was over. Don't know if its proper just what i saw.

jml90
09-17-2007, 07:16 PM
I like that light gray! I'm going to have to see if my BCF has one in my big siZe.

Here are my acquisitions from last week's visit to another Burlington Coat Factory.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x130/JTMarcus/SN7844.jpg

I took the Huckel apart, and re-sized it (down) to 7 1/8. Note: This is, without a doubt, the best assembled hat I have ever redone. Quality construction. The sweatband even looks to be leather (at least bonded leather), rather than synthetic.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x130/JTMarcus/P1040142.jpg

funneman
09-18-2007, 06:11 AM
Upon reading this thread, my daughter and I headed right over to the local outlet mall thinking we'd make a big score.

All we found were stacks and stacks of the wool variety.:(

J.T.Marcus
09-18-2007, 07:59 AM
It's like mining for gemstones. But when you find tha jewel, WOW! It helps if you have more than one store within driving distance. I've just found two more.

fatwoul
09-18-2007, 08:35 AM
I have this image in my head of JT just driving about for days on end, never sleeping, looking for outlets of Burlington Coat Factory.

You're a man on a mission, JT. :D

J.T.Marcus
09-18-2007, 09:34 AM
I have this image in my head of JT just driving about for days on end, never sleeping, looking for outlets of Burlington Coat Factory.

I love your image! Unfortunately, I can only do it on Saturday or Monday, and lately a lot of those have been taken up with work. I am still looking for that Huckel that looks like a Stetson Whippett!

deanglen
09-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm bummed. Our local BCF just opened a new store at the Mall and turned the old one turned into a training store. Expecting a new selection of Tonak Treasures, or Adama & Spires Inspirations, now I find only wool, (and you know I don't mind wool, that much), in either brown or black, and the kind of variety I used to see and the kind apparently J.T. is revelling in, is gone, and maybe for good!:( This is a grim reality to face. It's not just the cheap hats I miss, it was that those budget beaters provided great grist for the modification mill without the guilt of wrecking a quality fur felt if the idea crashed. Just when you find something that works...

dean

duggap
09-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey, complain to management. Who knows, they just may listen.[huh]

deanglen
09-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Hey, complain to management. Who knows, they just may listen.[huh]

Now there's an idea that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks! I'll see what it might produce, at least I'd find out what the heck happened.

dean

J.T.Marcus
09-18-2007, 10:00 AM
deanglen, We've obviously got a club going here, but what to call it? The Burlington Coat Factory Scavengers? The "Huckel" Berries? The "Tonakers?" The Czech Federation Conspiracy...:rolleyes:

deanglen
09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I don't know. Good question. I like your suggestions.

ean

Kentucky Blues
09-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't think anyone here has ever known how they go about stocking their hats. I know whenever I've been there, and they've had fur felt, they had more wool. The stores seem to be hit and miss, some stores having a great selection, others having poor. And they might get them in somewhat regularly, or just get a few fur felts in from time to time. Bring it up to management? Great idea. But don't have too much fear that they won't get fur in again, even if management ignores you. It's possible that they don't order fur or wool, they might just order "hats" and wherever they get them from just sends a variety.

deanglen
09-18-2007, 11:08 AM
I asked an emplyee at BCF once how they order their hats. They said they didn't place an order...the hats were just sent.

dean

carter
09-18-2007, 11:36 AM
They most likely have a centralized Ordering and Inventory System. New stock would be based on depletion (sales) at the store level. Therefore, the stores that sell more hats get more hats. The mix is probably based on availability in the centralized inventory. What they have is what they ship to the stores.

This would be a very dynamic inventory in a business like BCF.

fedoracpa
09-18-2007, 06:36 PM
JT - those hats you bought at BCF are great, I especially like the gray one. This past weekend, I went to the BCF in York, PA - about 45 minutes from my house. They had a few fur felt fedoras in black, a few woolies, and that was about it. Of course, all the sizes were too small for my head. I guess I will check in from time to time, but maybe that store does not get many hats. I will have to check the BCF at the Arundel Mills mall near the Baltimore airport (about an hour drive), they may possibly stock more hats there.

Josephine
09-18-2007, 06:58 PM
They most likely have a centralized Ordering and Inventory System.

I'd be willing to bet that. I needed a certain glass tile from Home Depot and drove around repeatedly buying out three stores over a period of a month. After my project was over, I went to my usual store for something else and they had a ton of the tiles, more than they had ever had before. lol

Rick Blaine
09-18-2007, 07:13 PM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/Greghats/BFCFED.jpg

This one's a PIP!
If I could find a higher crowned/wider brimmed fur felt like that at our local BFC I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Very nice... All I ever seem to find there are the lower crowned "metro" & "Barsalona" models, still nice all in all, but just not right on me. I may just have to reconnoiter their current inventory here & see if anything like that is in. Thanks for the heads up!

RBH
09-18-2007, 07:29 PM
.. The "Huckel" Berries.....:rolleyes:
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

deanglen
09-18-2007, 07:37 PM
The Tonak Pack.

dean

Paratrooper
09-18-2007, 08:05 PM
how about the BCF group?

J.T.Marcus
09-18-2007, 08:17 PM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/Greghats/BFCFED.jpg

This one's a PIP!
If I could find a higher crowned/wider brimmed fur felt like that at our local BFC I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Very nice... All I ever seem to find there are the lower crowned "metro" & "Barsalona" models, still nice all in all, but just not right on me. I may just have to reconnoiter their current inventory here & see if anything like that is in. Thanks for the heads up!

That hat was the most expensive of the three, $29.95! Still a bargain. It has a fabric sweatband, and no liner, but I can fix that.

John in Covina
09-18-2007, 08:25 PM
This type of store chain deals with buyers that are at their HQ and the store probably does not bother with any input as the computer tracking the sales lets HQ know what is happening.

Also, they probably don't order the Hats much, it is more likely the companies make available the overruns from the regular production, so selection is based on what is available. If you can find an adddress for the HQ you stand a slim chance of bending a buyers ear but if the sales don't back up the need they may blow you off.

What would be cool is if one or more of the hat dealers were to hook up with Hueckle and the like to offer those overruns instead.

Dr Trinidad
09-21-2007, 11:24 PM
I went to BCF in Greenville SC today after following this thread. They had what had started out as nice fur felt hats but they were all trashed out really bad. They had huge stains and some of them looked like they had been dipped in bleach and the color had faded out in spoches. I did not see anything in saleable condition Broke my heart as there were several I would have bought if they had been in better shape. Maybe this is the store they ship all there damaged stuff to. The one bright side I did get a panama straw hat that the wife cousion bought while in panama. Looks like just a shell no sweat band or ribbon but it looks like it could be a great hat!

J.T.Marcus
09-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Dr. Trinidad, "Crushed" is not a problem with these hats (assuming the price is low). With steam or a good cold water soak, they are easily reshaped. This also applies to ribbons that have been mis-shaped by stacking. Stains may or may not come out in a cold water wash with Woolite or dish detergent. As for one with bleached (lighter) areas, I wouldn't even waste $5 on it, unless I just wanted to experiment with trying to dye a hat.

John in Covina
09-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Somebody did some cool dye experiements in a thread a while back.

Dr Trinidad
09-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah I have brought a few hats back from the dead but these were beyond what I wanted to fool with. The ribbons looked like they were glued on and the glue seeped through the ribbon before it dryed. They were really bad!

LEUII
09-22-2007, 06:57 PM
I checked out my local BCF the other day. There were boxes of hats in the floor. Big four foot long boxes. I went through each of them. They all contained either 6 7/8 and 7 1/8 black wool stingies or a really fuzzy cheaply made felt Aussie/Western looking conglomeration. They did have hundreds of leather six panel Newsboys in all sorts of colour combinations ranging from creative to nauseating.

I'll check again next week and see if they have a new shipment.

Kentucky Blues
09-22-2007, 08:40 PM
LEUII, sounds like your BCF is a place I need to check out for myself....

J.T.Marcus
09-22-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the items we went crazy over, for a while, were just last year's leftovers; and now there might not be any more.

Mr. Lucky
09-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Picked up FOUR fur felt Huckels at the BCF in Canoga Park (just found out it was there!) for 12 bucks a pop! This one I cut the brim down and let the deluge of today soak the crown to this.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p109/unclewilby/922.jpg

As for the other three...?

dostacos
09-22-2007, 11:19 PM
deluge of today soak the crown to this.

this is So Cal speak for we had some DRIZZLE today.

as it did not even deserve STORM WATCH, [that is when it drizzles for more than 2 hours:eusa_doh: ]

having been in a little rain storm in Dallas where it came down so hard I had to roll my window down and look out that way because the wipers had NO effect, I vaguely understand rain. So all ya'all from areas with actual weather forgive us we know not of where we speak.
end translation...

now back to our regular programing:D

dostacos
09-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Picked up FOUR fur felt Huckels at the BCF in Canoga Park (just found out it was there!) for 12 bucks a pop! This one I cut the brim down and let the deluge of today soak the crown to this.

As for the other three...?great lid especially for the price I wonder if they all have hats????? gonna call my closest one tomorrow

Dan

Mr. Lucky
09-22-2007, 11:37 PM
deluge of today soak the crown to this.

this is So Cal speak for we had some DRIZZLE today.

as it did not even deserve STORM WATCH, [that is when it drizzles for more than 2 hours:eusa_doh: ]

having been in a little rain storm in Dallas where it came down so hard I had to roll my window down and look out that way because the wipers had NO effect, I vaguely understand rain. So all ya'all from areas with actual weather forgive us we know not of where we speak.
end translation...

now back to our regular programing:D

Ah, my friend, I must contest... I am originally from Buffalo, NY - a place that is nothing but weather - and today, here in the NoHo/Burbank area, it did deluge! At one point we couldn't see the car ten yards in front of us as we rolled down Hollywood Way.

I understand the Cali mind-set and, much to my great shame, mock its outrageousness at the drop of a...well, DROP! But I kid you not as to the severity, and volume, of todays rain. And, quite frankly, and excepting the moment I stepped out of the car into a ten inch deep puddle, did quite enjoy it!

dostacos
09-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Ah, my friend, I must contest... I am originally from Buffalo, NY - a place that is nothing but weather - and today, here in the NoHo/Burbank area, it did deluge! At one point we couldn't see the car ten yards in front of us as we rolled down Hollywood Way.

I understand the Cali mind-set and, much to my great shame, mock its outrageousness at the drop of a...well, DROP! But I kid you not as to the severity, and volume, of todays rain. And, quite frankly, and excepting the moment I stepped out of the car into a ten inch deep puddle, did quite enjoy it!
:eek: but where you're from, you always had to worry about getting 3 feet of PARTLY CLOUDY:eusa_doh:

We had an outside consultant 2 years ago, he woke up and put on the news and every station was on STORM WATCH, with reporters talking about puddles and actually being able to see some rain drops! he razzed us no end. :eek: glad to hear we had some actual real rain.

did your BCF have a good selection of sizes? like a 7 5/8;)

Dan

Mr. Lucky
09-23-2007, 12:08 AM
:eek: but where you're from, you always had to worry about getting 3 feet of PARTLY CLOUDY:eusa_doh:

We had an outside consultant 2 years ago, he woke up and put on the news and every station was on STORM WATCH, with reporters talking about puddles and actually being able to see some rain drops! he razzed us no end. :eek: glad to hear we had some actual real rain.

did your BCF have a good selection of sizes? like a 7 5/8;)

Dan
Hell, in this town, if Paris Hilton breaks wind they call a STORM WATCH! Amen!

The BCF I hit, out in Canoga, had 7 1/2's and a couple of 7 5/8's - both of which fit me. But I kinda cleaned them out. I know there's another one somewhere around here, though. Good luck.

John in Covina
09-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I was up in San Gabriel yesterday, which is closer to the mountains, and it poured big drops for about 45 minutes it really came down. Then it switched to a drizzle.

Dr Trinidad
09-26-2007, 12:59 PM
I contacted BCF about the damaged hats in their greenville store and recieved a email today that said the bleached out look was actually Tie Dyed. A tie dyed fedora? Looked bleached out to me.

RBH
09-26-2007, 01:33 PM

As for the other three...?

Lucky, I have to say I REALLY like the looks of this one on you!
The color, shape and brim trim suits you very well!

Mr. Lucky
09-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Lucky, I have to say I REALLY like the looks of this one on you!
The color, shape and brim trim suits you very well!
Thanks! $11.99, a pair of scissors and a good rain storm and - VOILA! - the hat! For some reason, as it turns out, my favorite hats are either under fifteen bucks or OVER a hundred-and fifty! Can you beat that.

deelovely
09-29-2007, 05:30 PM
I picked up 4 hats at BCF today!!:D Indycop didn't get any...:p

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc303/jhannafo/P1010103.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc303/jhannafo/P1010096.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc303/jhannafo/P1010102.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc303/jhannafo/P1010100.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc303/jhannafo/P1010099.jpg

John in Covina
09-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Very stylish!

Mr. Lucky
09-29-2007, 06:38 PM
I picked up 4 hats at BCF today!!:D Indycop didn't get any...:p

How cool is that! You look...well, lovely! My wife would be all over that first one.

fatwoul
09-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey DeeLovely nice to see you've joined. Welcome.

You're really getting into this hat nonsense aren't you? I especially like that first one with the flowers on it.

BTW - you make much nicer viewing than that grumpy-faced husband of yours. ;)

deanglen
09-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Put some teeth in that smile! :D ;) Like me in my avatar. Oh wait, I'm not showing...oh, nevermind.

dean

indycop
09-29-2007, 07:13 PM

You're really getting into this hat nonsense aren't you? I especially like that first one with the flowers on it.

:eek: :rage: You would think the birthday boy would be on his best behavior!!!lol

deanglen
09-29-2007, 07:16 PM
FW is a frank sort. The kind you can trust. The rest of us often try too hard to be, how shall I say, "tactful". Like me. ;) You can still trust us. But it's much more work.

dean

fatwoul
09-29-2007, 07:26 PM
:eek: :rage: You would think the birthday boy would be on his best behavior!!!lol

Well it's true! Every picture he's posted so far he looks so stern. Using his "on-duty" face I guess. lol

Vintage Betty
09-30-2007, 10:42 AM
deanglen, We've obviously got a club going here, but what to call it? The Burlington Coat Factory Scavengers? The "Huckel" Berries? The "Tonakers?" The Czech Federation Conspiracy...:rolleyes:

The Burlington Boys

J.T.Marcus
09-30-2007, 11:48 AM
The Burlington Boys

Betty, That's a good one, too! :eusa_clap

deelovely
09-30-2007, 03:05 PM

Yes, I really am getting into the hats now! They are so much fun and take fashion to a whole new level for me!lol
Thanks for the welcome and I will take that last comment as a compliment!:o

deelovely
09-30-2007, 03:13 PM
:offtopic: Oh... and a Happy Birthday to you Fatwoul!!:D

Dr Trinidad
09-30-2007, 03:34 PM
DeanGlen Its not that you can't trust us its just that you have to know when to trust us! :D

J.T.Marcus
10-01-2007, 03:58 PM

I found two more stores (Shreveport, LA)! They yielded these three furs. Total cost $40 plus tax. They were all mark-downs from last season.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x130/JTMarcus/P1040176.jpg

(1) A Huckel. I resized it from 7 1/4 to 7 1/8. (2) "Is it black or dark brown?" I replaced the ribbon with a brownish grey one, and replaced the fabric sweatband with leather (pirated from a straw cowboy hat). (3) I didn't change a thing about this creamy "butterscotch" with a black ribbon.

indycop
10-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Nice hats JT!:eusa_clap Maybe one of these days there will be some hats in my size at my BCF instead of just the wifes.[huh] :eusa_doh:

J.T.Marcus
10-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Maybe one of these days there will be some hats in my size at my BCF instead of just the wifes.[huh] :eusa_doh:

Hey, as long as somebody gets the bargains! It's all in the family. :)

indycop
10-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey, as long as somebody gets the bargains! It's all in the family. :)
Somehow that does'nt help.:eusa_doh: But I am happy to have a jaxon bogart on the way! :) And I am seriously considering the jaxon monk!:D

cookie
10-02-2007, 03:41 AM

Years ago Gowings (RIP) in Sydney imported them and I bought two one of which were that lovely soft felt. I did not look after the light grey one and it got stained . The Brown one is still okay.

Jerekson
10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I just checked me local BCF all but a few weeks ago, and when I came to the hats secton I was shocked to see racks full of CAPS!!!

I found this saddening, because the last time I had visited the store it was chock full of fedoras.

Maybe it's just a seasonal thing. After all, winter isn't here quite yet :p

Josephine
10-02-2007, 08:38 PM
I just checked me local BCF all but a few weeks ago, and when I came to the hats secton I was shocked to see racks full of CAPS!!!

I found this saddening, because the last time I had visited the store it was chock full of fedoras.

I stopped by BCF yesterday and they had one or two Panama looking hats and all caps. The Women's section was better stocked, and I picked up a hat for this weekend, but no Betmars, unfortunately. :(

WideBrimm
10-03-2007, 09:30 AM

when looking for hats, NEVER look in just one place within a store. I just visited my local BCF. Now they've got fedoras on one side of the men's dept, and ball caps and flat caps on the other side of the men's dept.

J.T.Marcus
10-03-2007, 09:38 AM
I think I have identified every BCF within 120 miles of where I live. I'm not quite half way finished making the rounds.

WideBrimm
10-03-2007, 09:42 AM
I just drove around to all three BCF stores in Metro Denver. NW and SW stores mostly had remnants of summer straws, but the East Side store (my area) had plenty of new stock of winter fedoras. Nice hats including pork pies and thin ribbons, but all were wool felt rather than fur felt. And most were $20 hats. But, heh, I got myself a nice gray fedora, Ecuadorian made, better quality than the others. :)

Mr. Lucky
10-03-2007, 09:57 AM
I just drove around to all three BCF stores in Metro Denver. NW and SW stores mostly had remnants of summer straws, but the East Side store (my area) had plenty of new stock of winter fedoras. Nice hats including pork pies and thin ribbons, but all were wool felt rather than fur felt. And most were $20 hats. But, heh, I got myself a nice gray fedora, Ecuadorian made, better quality than the others. :)
Your not the first one to find only wool this year. All the NEW stock at the BCF I went to was wool - only fur felt were those leftover from last season. I am wondering if BCF has changed - moved towards wool and away from the fur felt. I sure hope not, but I have a sense that they have.

J.T.Marcus
10-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Your not the first one to find only wool this year. All the NEW stock at the BCF I went to was wool - only fur felt were those leftover from last season. I am wondering if BCF has changed - moved towards wool and away from the fur felt. I sure hope not, but I have a sense that they have.

It sure looks that way!

deanglen
10-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm convinced that they have made such a switch. The new BCF in Flint at the Mall is all wool or fabric stingies. Gone are the Tonaks, et. al..

dean

Vintage Betty
10-03-2007, 11:20 AM
I have many pictures and more info about this subject to post.

Hang tight, I'm trying to transfer pictures from my mobile device for the first time and having minor problems.

Vintage Betty

J.T.Marcus
10-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Today I reached for a green one I've had for about six years. It is marked TONAK made in Czech Republic. Obviously fur, it fits and feels great. Has sort of an "Octoberfest" look to it. (It took me a minute to figure out the dark spot in the pinch. I got caught in the rain, before I could get inside. The spot is gone, now.)

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x130/JTMarcus/P1040219.jpg

Razzman
10-15-2007, 04:09 PM
J.T. thats a nice looking lid. I've been to the local BCF several times in the past year with no luck. It seems their current stock is 100% wool nowadays.

Undertow
10-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Well, if anyone is in the Des Moines metro area, our BCF has a pretty nice selection of fur felts. All have cloth sweats and I'd say the felt is 100% rabbit, but for a $16 starter hat, not bad.

The felt, in my opinion and from my experience with fur felt hats I've purchased from BCF, is a little stiff and not as "luxurious" as, say, a newer Stetson. However, with some steaming it will retain its shape and I can honestly say it retains its color better than my Stetsons.

I would put the Des Moines fur felts at BCF in the workhorse category for their price and their ruggedness (both to the touch, and in practice).

J.T.Marcus
10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Undertow, Sounds like they may have gotten a new shipment. Last seasons furs tended to have been marked down. Also, most of their furs to date have had no stiffener. I like it that way, but some folks wanted a little more "body." Let's hope we see a whole new crop of Tonaks this year. It would certainly be a shame to lose a good source.

thunderw21
10-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, if anyone is in the Des Moines metro area, our BCF has a pretty nice selection of fur felts. All have cloth sweats and I'd say the felt is 100% rabbit, but for a $16 starter hat, not bad.

The felt, in my opinion and from my experience with fur felt hats I've purchased from BCF, is a little stiff and not as "luxurious" as, say, a newer Stetson. However, with some steaming it will retain its shape and I can honestly say it retains its color better than my Stetsons.

I would put the Des Moines fur felts at BCF in the workhorse category for their price and their ruggedness (both to the touch, and in practice).

Drat, I was just down in Des Moines this weekend and forgot to go to BCF. I'll have to go during Thanksgiving or Christmas break.
Thanks for the info, Undertow, I was wondering if our BCF had any hats.

ManWithNoName
10-17-2007, 08:37 AM
I went there yesterday looking to buy my first fedora. I didn't see any of the Czech hats, but they had a Lite Felt in my size, which was almost exactly what I wanted except it was black. I'm usually a fairly casual dresser, and I don't think that would go with much of what I wear. I'd prefer something in gray or maybe a light brown. I also checked out the mall but that was pretty fruitless also. Well, I suppose I'll check back later to see if they have something new that I like. How often do they usually get new stuff in?

Mr. Lucky
10-17-2007, 08:55 AM
I went there yesterday looking to buy my first fedora. I didn't see any of the Czech hats, but they had a Lite Felt in my size, which was almost exactly what I wanted except it was black. I'm usually a fairly casual dresser, and I don't think that would go with much of what I wear. I'd prefer something in gray or maybe a light brown. I also checked out the mall but that was pretty fruitless also. Well, I suppose I'll check back later to see if they have something new that I like. How often do they usually get new stuff in?
Howdy and welcome! As I see it, BCF only rotates stock seasonally, so only four times a year. But, you never know. And I don't know any other hat shops in the WNY area, another tragedy. But, hey, at least you have Nick Tahou to console you!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/%7Ehaut-cuisine_in-rochester-n-y_is-the-garbage_plate.jpg

Again, welcome to the Lounge!

Rick Blaine
10-17-2007, 09:59 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/%7Ehaut-cuisine_in-rochester-n-y_is-the-garbage_plate.jpg

:eek: WHAT IN THE WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS IS THIS?

... d@mn near put me off my chiterlings!lol

Mr. Lucky
10-17-2007, 10:01 AM
:eek: WHAT IN THE WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS IS THIS?

... d@mn near put me off my chiterlings!lol
Why, it is the WORLD FAMOUS Nick Tahou's Garbage Plate, of course!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Tahou_Hots

Mmm, mmm, good!