PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gifts for your Fella

texasgirl
11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Wondering if anyone has some cool ideas for the man in your life?

I just came upon this super great deal I thought I'd share. Colonel Littleton Cuff Links. I bought a pair for my husband last year for Christmas and he loves them. They have several on clearance, as well as many other fine products (check the Last Chance category):

http://www.colonellittleton.com/?p=products&cat=81

Gray and burgundy enamel. Art deco cuff links. Gold filled trim. Made in England. Circa 1930.
Original Price - $120.00. Last Chance Price - $50.00.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/texasgirl_333/zje-gx.jpg

Any other ideas, post them here!!!

AmateisGal
11-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Those are swell-looking!

Unfortunately, my husband is a jeans/shorts/t-shirt kind of guy and getting him to dress up is like pulling the proverbial tooth. I think I'm just going to get him the second season of Hogan's Heroes for Christmas this year. :)

KittyT
11-30-2007, 01:19 PM
My boyfriend lost his attaché case earlier this year and has been carrying around this horribly ugly backpack to work. He dresses in 50s vintage every day, so that backpack drives me crazy!

I found a reddish-brown 50s attaché/British-style book bag in great shape for $35 from a local vintage shop. It was tricky, because he needs something with a shoulder strap and most of the vintage briefcases don't have shoulder straps!

dhermann1
11-30-2007, 02:38 PM
If he's a real man, all he wants is a 300 inch TV! lol

ShortClara
11-30-2007, 02:39 PM
As I posted in Observation Bar, so far the plan is to get him an iPhone. Mine's not into vintage at all, and he's an uber geek so I feel pretty secure about my choice. I've gotten a few stocking stuffers, and I may hit up H&M for some cool button-downs for him for work. He started watching "What Not to Wear" with me a while ago, and since then his style is stepped up :D

I may just give him clothes and put the iPhone in his stocking for last, and let him think I got super lame ;)

ShortClara
11-30-2007, 02:43 PM
If he's a real man, all he wants is a 300 inch TV! lol

Mine got his new 60" a month ago. What can I say, I'm a wife who can't say no :rolleyes:

The Wingnut
11-30-2007, 03:30 PM
TV? Whassat?

If he's vintage inclined, a tie(specifically, vintage) is NOT pass?. There are plenty on OFAS and to be found elsewhere at reasonable prices. $25 can get you a killer one.

Heck, guys don't mind if you flat out ask them what they want, that's the way we are, very direct.

Play into his hobbies. I'd love a set of ZG flares for a first generation(S30) Datsun Z, in the unlikely event I've got a secret admirer hiding out here. :D

Ms. McGraw
11-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Ace is getting a pair of Acme peewees...it's not really a surprise though, I let him pick which pair he wants from good ol' eBay. My Mom and I might go together and get him an amp for his steel too, but I have to check into what kinds of deals are out there on that little surprise! No spillin' the bean on that one please cowboy76! ;)

KittyT
11-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Heck, guys don't mind if you flat out ask them what they want, that's the way we are, very direct.

Every guy I've ever asked that to grunted and told me he didn't want anything.

Ada Veen
11-30-2007, 05:40 PM
I thought of paying for a full shave... with hot towels and a cut throat razor and all the trimmings. Not sure how you could wrap it up for the opening though. And my sig. oth. currently wears a beard. It'll have to go in the bank with all those great dynamic 'first date' ideas that I'll never get to use now that I have a life partner!

Elaina
11-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Well I don't have a man, save for my little one, and he's easy.

So...instead of the junk I was going to get him, I am going to splurge and get a bottle of real Chanel no. 5 perfume. Not the eau de cologne. :D Hope you find something!

KittyT
12-01-2007, 09:04 AM
I thought of paying for a full shave... with hot towels and a cut throat razor and all the trimmings. Not sure how you could wrap it up for the opening though.

Write it out nice on a card and decorate it up pretty. You can present them in the form of a gift certificate or a coupon like this:

"The holder of this coupon is entitled to one free massage from their loved one"

Make them present the coupon to redeem their prize :)

pretty faythe
12-01-2007, 11:09 AM
As I have no "man" but have a few friends that fall into the male catergory :p
one of them is a smoker and uses a cigerette case. I was about shocked when I saw that, all the smokers I have known in my life, and never seen anyone use a ciggy case. Well his latch is broken and I was thinking of getting him a new case, then I was thinking, maybe a vintage one if the price differ isn't too bad. Actually, besides him and my best friend of 13 years, I think they are the only ones that live in town, and I might get something from the smoking line for him too...although he is a slim cigar man, I was thinking shaving things, from the other thread about Bed Bath and Beyond, but I think he may use electric since he is now currentl legally blind, I dont know.

pigeon toe
12-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I got my boyfriend a 1930's mint condition leather "dop kit" (still has an un-used bar of Lux soap in it!). It has a few brushes, soap case, cologne bottle, razor case, a mirror with a picture frame on the other (still has the original picture from the 30's in the frame), and a few other goodies.

I gave it (plus a bunch of other presents) to him early since I won't be around for Christmas. He loved it. And it only cost $15 total! :)

Pinkie
12-01-2007, 12:19 PM
As I have no "man" but have a few friends that fall into the male catergory :p
one of them is a smoker and uses a cigerette case. I was about shocked when I saw that, all the smokers I have known in my life, and never seen anyone use a ciggy case. Well his latch is broken and I was thinking of getting him a new case, then I was thinking, maybe a vintage one if the price differ isn't too bad.

A smart table lighter and cigarette holder set would be nice. Something that matches is always good. I've seen them sold as a set on eBay and they aren't too expensive!

Miss_Bella_Hell
12-01-2007, 01:23 PM
My boyfriend tried on a Burberry jacket at Syms, an off-price store near here. He loved it but it was still plenty expensive. We left it on the rack, but I bought it several days later to give to him for Xmas.

Well, after hearing him complain about having nothing to wear and about how he should have bought that jacket for three months, I caved in and just gave him the thing! So now he's getting something small. :rolleyes:

KittyT
12-01-2007, 03:32 PM
I got my boyfriend a 1930's mint condition leather "dop kit"

A dop kit is a fine gift for any fella. I bought my dad a nice leather one last year and he loves it, since he works overseas and travels a lot for work.

ssubialdea
12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
the dop kit does sound like a great idea for almost any guy... mine's getting a restored Philco Predicta set, books, and probably some tools this year.
About a month before Christmas we exchange wish lists and send each other links to websites, Amazon works well for this because you can view their wish lists and keep a gift idea list also. We both know each other's tastes and sizes pretty well so it works out.

Madison Paige
12-03-2007, 10:21 AM
I thought of paying for a full shave... with hot towels and a cut throat razor and all the trimmings. Not sure how you could wrap it up for the opening though. And my sig. oth. currently wears a beard. It'll have to go in the bank with all those great dynamic 'first date' ideas that I'll never get to use now that I have a life partner!

My favorite thing to do for wrapping gift certificates and things of the sort, is to put the gift certificate in an envelope, then get a BIG box with lots of colorful tissue paper to fill it, and THEN put the envelope on top of all the tissue paper in the box, and wrap the box up beautifully! Then they actually can unwrap something, rather then just opening a meesly little envelope.

The Shirt
12-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Last year I got the fella some vintage girlie mags for fun. I figure I can compete with someone who is now 70. Also got him a vintage 59 chevy auto repair manual as he just purchased one to fix up. As well as a stack of vintage Frank Sinatra albums.

This year I am struggling. I have thought about getting him a vinyl to mp3 converter for his collection. He appreciates vintage but is a bit of a techy as well. I love the full shave idea - that is really cool and I think he'd get a kick out of it. He's a definite jeans and tshirt guy but we did run across some fantastic vintage shirts not too long ago that he commented on. I may just have to pick that up.

KittyT
12-03-2007, 11:13 AM
My favorite thing to do for wrapping gift certificates and things of the sort, is to put the gift certificate in an envelope, then get a BIG box with lots of colorful tissue paper to fill it, and THEN put the envelope on top of all the tissue paper in the box, and wrap the box up beautifully! Then they actually can unwrap something, rather then just opening a meesly little envelope.

This is indeed a fun way to do it, but in a season already filled with waste from paper, trees, and various types of packaging, I would encourage you to consider the environmentally friendly option.

pennycarrol
12-03-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't have a fella.... I'd love to have a fella...............

thebadmamajama
12-03-2007, 01:32 PM
i *think* i'm going to get him a subscription to "fine woodworking" since he's amazing at building stuff but is always looking for new ideas...is this lame? I have no perspective because "fine woodworking" is probably the most intimidating non-me thing ever :p

KittyT
12-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Here is a picture of the attach? case I got my fella -

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/sbazcasper/vintage/attache.jpg

imoldfashioned
12-04-2007, 10:28 AM
i *think* i'm going to get him a subscription to "fine woodworking" since he's amazing at building stuff but is always looking for new ideas...is this lame? I have no perspective because "fine woodworking" is probably the most intimidating non-me thing ever :p

Fine Woodworking is a top notch magazine (all of the Taunton publications are great in my opinion) and a great idea generator. I'd think he'd be really happy with that gift.

KittyT--Ooooh! Love that bag!

ssubialdea
12-04-2007, 06:55 PM
I second the fine woodworking, my guy loves that magazine and gets grumpy when it doesn't come in. They also have an online subscription where you can view demo videos and other exclusive stuff on their website

thebadmamajama
12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
fABULOUS!

ITG
12-09-2007, 08:43 PM
My husband is getting an Indiana Jones style whip, Derek Jeter's Driven Cologne set, and IPod Home under the counter player.

texasgirl
01-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I commissioned our very own BonnieJean to make a sign for my husband. I couldn't post earlier in case he read this thread, but I just wanted to share it with everyone. It came out fantastic! Little Bohemia was a lodge where Dillinger had a shootout.

Here's the original sign
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/texasgirl_333/littlebohemiabigger.jpg

And BonnieJean's creation
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/texasgirl_333/lilbohemia.jpg

thebadmamajama
01-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I went with the Fine Woodworking and the man who is v. hard to buy for was v. pleased. :D

ShortClara
01-02-2008, 04:29 PM
And BonnieJean's creation
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/texasgirl_333/lilbohemia.jpg

Fantastic!! Wonderful work and such a neat gift!

Tenuki
11-15-2010, 02:15 PM
I hope it's kosher to resurrect an old, yet timely thread. I'm struggling with gift ideas for my fella, also a fellow Lounger on line more often than I, so I can't post my query in the men's section. I could, but then he'd be clued in to my cunning plan.

Which isn't cunning at all, as I have no plan.

I'm hoping to generate some brainstorming from the ladies. He's got a dop kit. He's not a woodworker. Buying clothes is hit or miss at best since he's a big & tall fella. He's got a bounty of hats plus he's a common size, so cool hats get snapped up fast.

My fave gift idea is the vintage girlie mags. Any other suggestions?

kamikat
11-15-2010, 02:39 PM
If he's into the retro bowling shirts, many companies have added big and tall sizes in the last couple years.

Tenuki
11-15-2010, 02:42 PM
oohh, good idea, kamikat. I think he's in a shirt rut, though he might disagree ;-D

kamikat
11-15-2010, 02:46 PM
I always get my husband a shirt for special occasions and just shopped amazon today for them. Just put in "men's retro bowling shirt 2X" (or whatever size) in the search and you'll get lots of results. I was surprised to see how many larger shirts there are now.

Grant Fan
11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
I am spoiling the boy this year. He is coming home from being stationed in Japan for 3 years in February, and there is an old military tradition that you leave you Christmas decorations up until your loved one comes home (thank goodness this is the first time I have decorated for Christmas) Anyway I have already bought him a great gray sweater, and two polo shirts, then I got him The Pacific, and a civil war DVD set he wanted along with 5 books. Like I said I am spoiling him.

Tenuki
11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Groovy! I'm off to Amazon!

moonmatrix
11-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I found a vintage "drop kit, no parts missing, a tie bar and cuff links w/ trains on them still in original gift box, vintage and set today for him. A dress shirt that I am getting him a zip up sweater for and a pair of casual winter boots he so needs. I also found hima vintage fifties wool over coat that he got early because I didn't know if it would fit him. May pick up a few more things because I am spending next to nothing on what I am finding. Oh I also found him a few vintage hollywood Movie star books.

Tenuki
11-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Great gifts, Grant Fan and moonmatrix...

I was veering away from cuff links and ties, but cool vintage items would be nice.