PDA

View Full Version : 1940s stag films

Quigley Brown
03-09-2005, 04:02 PM
As I think you know, I'm a film nut...the more long-lost the film the better. I thought you'd might like this cute, little short....i guess it could be considered a period 'stag' film from the 1940s. I assure you...it's very tame, very silly, it's got a great soundtrack and I think you'll enjoy it. The 'story' is about two ladies and their broken down car and what they have to resort to get someone to stop and help them. I woke my dog up I laughed so hard watching it. {snip}

Mycroft
03-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Very funny, thanks for sharing. I think they were just hot, in that weather :rolleyes:.

STHill
03-10-2005, 04:44 PM
That's great! I would have stopped (to help, of course).

Canadave
03-10-2005, 06:37 PM
I couldn't view this...anyone else have trouble?

David

SappySwami
03-10-2005, 11:17 PM
There must have been a lot of women driving that day... :rolleyes:

jamespowers
03-29-2005, 01:21 PM
You have to have Quick Time installed to view it.
Gee, I wonder what the cop has in mind? :p :p

Regards to all,

J

Canadave
03-29-2005, 03:58 PM
You have to have Quick Time installed to view it...

I've got QuickTime, and even ran Quicktime Updater...still no luck. :(

David

jamespowers
03-29-2005, 04:00 PM
I had a problem too at first so I just reinstalled the dang thing and it works fine now. Go figure. :p

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson
03-29-2005, 04:10 PM
That's great! I would have stopped (to help, of course).

The car was the key point, right? ;) Regards. Michaelson

jamespowers
03-29-2005, 04:51 PM
The car was the key point, right? ;) Regards. Michaelson

Boy, now I really know what it means to be too old to be interested in some things. :p :p

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson
03-29-2005, 05:18 PM
What? [huh] :cool: Regards. Michaelson

jamespowers
03-29-2005, 05:24 PM
The car over the women I mean. ;) :p Gee, it is worse than I thought. :p

Regards to all,

J

MDFrench
03-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Where would a film like this have been shown? I have a degree in Film and have researched film history all my life, and well... I just don't have an answer to this one...

Mike

IndianaGuybrush
03-29-2005, 09:24 PM
I'd think of this as a private collector's film. Possibly one in a collection of some well-off Hollywood producer to show off when the guys come over for some drinks and cigars. From what I understand this would have been one of the 'tamer' films that was going around in private collections back then :eek:

Dr. Shocker
03-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Like many of you younger guys old movies really helped influence your interest in vintage attire.....but watching a friends dad's and grandfathers stag films and blue movies as a boy reallly got me going branching my interest into pin-up and burlesque.....alot of these movies are now poping up on ebay and in antique stores.....you can also check out somthing weird videos for some great stuff (and really bizzar stuff as well)..........If you type in burlesque in the above links search you'll fine a great selection of some really old goodies....

Michaelson
03-30-2005, 10:42 AM
The car over the women I mean. ;) :p Gee, it is worse than I thought. :p

Regards to all,

J
:coffee: Could be, J, could be...uh, what were we talking about again? [huh] ;) High regards. Michaelson

Canadave
03-30-2005, 11:54 AM
I had a problem too at first so I just reinstalled the dang thing and it works fine now. Go figure. :p

Still not working. Did you uninstall the whole thing, then reinstall? Did you reinstall from a disk or from the web site?

I'm very curious now!

David

jamespowers
03-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Still not working. Did you uninstall the whole thing, then reinstall? Did you reinstall from a disk or from the web site?

I'm very curious now!

David

I just installed the new copy over the old one. My old one had some components missing or at least that was the message I was getting. :p
The free one works fine. I downloaded it from their website.

Regards to all,

J

Canadave
03-30-2005, 12:19 PM
OK, reinstalled (with iTunes)...STILL DOESN'T WORK. :rage:

Is there a techie in the hizzouse???

David

jamespowers
03-30-2005, 01:35 PM
OK, reinstalled (with iTunes)...STILL DOESN'T WORK. :rage:

Is there a techie in the hizzouse???

David

Geez, now that is strange. Kick it a few times. :kick: :p
What message do you get when it comes up or does it at all?

Regards,

J

Canadave
03-30-2005, 02:44 PM
...What message do you get when it comes up or does it at all?

I get a bar that looks like this (and the slider does move, but no sound) -

http://www.freepgs.com/canadave/bar.JPG

and up in the corner, an image that looks like this -

http://www.freepgs.com/canadave/this.JPG

:(

David

jamespowers
03-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Hmmm... I get the same thing but it plays after a few seconds of buffering. Solution---new computer. :p
Nothing happens huh? Gee, I am stumped now.
Too bad you can't see it. It certainly gives you an idea of how women dressed in those days---from top to bottom---all the layers. :p

Regards to all,

J

Dr. Shocker
04-11-2005, 09:58 AM
there are a bunch of great vintage pin up and erotica sites out there as well as a few news groups where many of my files have come frome.....the best place to start the hunt wouls be joebates.com ................the site is annoying as hell if he still has all of those pesy midi files on every page but a great resource none the less

scotrace
04-12-2005, 08:07 AM
:coffee: Could be, J, could be...uh, what were we talking about again? [huh] ;) High regards. Michaelson

Just so I'm not forever marked as a pervy sort:

They're driving a 41 Chevrolet, base model coupe (maybe business coupe) but with radio option. The passing cars visible are a 40 or 41 hudson, and a pretty sharp 40 Buick.

:)

Johnnysan
04-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Yeah...nice cars.

With regard to the viewing problems, they're related to the format of many of these movies - MP4. Windows can't handle them and no codec is available since Microsoft likes to squash the competition. However, a freeware program called "Mpegable DS Decoder" is available on Download.com and will solve the problem. You can download the program by going to this link:

http://www.download.com/Mpegable-DS-decoder/3000-2194_4-10159344.html?tag=lst-0-1

This worked fine on my machine running Media Player and Windows XP. Enjoy! :cheers1:

Canadave
04-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Canadave, do you have dialup? Or a fast connection? Might just be an eternal download stream.

I've got Ultra hi-speed! I'll look into Johnnysan's suggestions, but if you have any more...

Thanks for trying,

David

Edit -

With regard to the viewing problems, they're related to the format of many of these movies - MP4. Windows can't handle them and no codec is available since Microsoft likes to squash the competition. However, a freeware program called "Mpegable DS Decoder" is available on Download.com and will solve the problem. You can download the program by going to this link:

http://www.download.com/Mpegable-DS-decoder/3000-2194_4-10159344.html?tag=lst-0-1

This worked fine on my machine running Media Player and Windows XP. Enjoy! :cheers1:

OK, I downloaded this, went back to the original link in this thread, and it still didn't work. How do I get Media Player to open the link?

D

jamespowers
04-12-2005, 03:13 PM
OK, I downloaded this, went back to the original link in this thread, and it still didn't work. How do I get Media Player to open the link?

Gee, I am stumped. Threaten the computer with a rifle yet? :p

Regards to all,

J

Canadave
04-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Gee, I am stumped. Threaten the computer with a rifle yet? :p

Regards to all,

J

Haven't you read the "Personal Heat" thread? ;)

David