Matt Deckard
04-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Bit expensive.
http://www.mpmcostumes.com/site/72.asp?catID=144

http://www.mpmcostumes.com/site/files/BLADERUNDeckard%20Front%20FullnMAIN.JPG

http://www.bilbocine.com/blade_runner.jpg

Mycroft
04-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Good movie, though I beleve only Ford can pull off the look since the jacket sits so well on him with the rain and wrinkesl etc.

CoffeeDude
05-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I've always wanted that coat and the next time (ok the first time) I have that kind of dough I'd like to get one. What style of hat would look best with this coat?

Mycroft
05-04-2005, 04:57 PM
You think a talior or a peron could do it themselves by modifing a trench coat?

CoffeeDude
05-04-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't think so. There are so many changes that would have to be made it would be better to just start from scratch. I don't even think most trenchcoats are made from the same material (cotten twill). I asked the tailors over at the Magic Waredrobe about the Decker coat last year and they gave me a quote of around $700.00. The only thing I see wrong with this one is I thought the coat had three narrow straps around the wrists. It looks like this one has two wide ones. Is that true or am I just seeing things again?

Mycroft
05-04-2005, 05:17 PM
I don't think so. There are so many changes that would have to be made it would be better to just start from scratch. I don't even think most trenchcoats are made from the same material (cotten twill). I asked the tailors over at the Magic Waredrobe about the Decker coat last year and they gave me a quote of around $700.00. The only thing I see wrong with this one is I thought the coat had three narrow straps around the wrists. It looks like this one has two wide ones. Is that true or am I just seeing things again?

Can't tell, sorry. Wow, thougth a tailor would be a BIT cheaper.

Feraud
06-08-2005, 08:14 AM
I love that trenchcoat and have been waiting for a long time for someone to make them. I will not pay approx. $1,000.00USD for it!
That is just highway robbery....

MrBern
06-08-2005, 06:34 PM
you really need one of these sidearms
http://www.racprops.com/issue4/projectbr_pt1/

btw, I think I prefer Roy's black leather trenchcoat....

zeus36
06-09-2005, 02:01 AM
btw, I think I prefer Roy's black leather trenchcoat....

Ditto !

Deckard's outfit is pretty '80's... look at the skinny tie.

In the photo it looks like he is wearing one of those Urban Cowboy colorful shirts under that trench.

BellyTank
06-09-2005, 03:26 AM
I think it was supposed to be a projection of future fashion-
B
T

zeus36
06-09-2005, 07:01 PM
I made the mistake of showing the director's cut of Blade Runner to my girlfriend(who has zero interest in Sci-Fi and had never seen the film) and when it was over, she gave me that sideways look and said "well that was SO eighties....and a waste of two hours...; why would they be wearing '80's clothes in the future?"

I finally got her out to see Revenge of the Sith which she mostly enjoyed. She was chuckling and cringing during the "love" scenes and a lot of Hayden's lines.

MrBern
06-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Its funny... At the time, Bladerunner bombed in the theaters. But it grabbed a cult audience who appreciated a sci-fi film noir. And all thru the 80s & 90s, every once in a while some fash mag would run pics of a new designer touting Bladerunner as an influence.
I have to admit that at the time, I was a lot more impressed by RoadWarrior. A different cop on a different beat in the same crappy future.

Funny that he wears no headgear tho its constantly raining. Perhaps to reflect how hats seemed to wither away post JFK?
-b

swinggal
06-10-2005, 10:23 AM
I loved Blade Runner when I saw it the first time (I was 14), still do. Great story and soundtrack and the grittyness of it was refreshing. A movie that is amongst my favourites.

"Why would people be wearing 80s clothes in the future" haha...that's funnee. Take a look at last years fashion, all 80s crap!! Fashion runs in cycles anyway. Seems that every 25 to 30 years things return...whether they were stylish or not.

Matt Deckard
06-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Ahhh the 80's

http://tiggerroo.topcities.com/SexyMen/RipTide.jpghttp://www.mediarebellion.com/i/hosted/cobra/Ferris%201.jpg

matei
07-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Deckard's shirt is certainly interesting.

I have a shirt just like this, but it isn't from the future - it is from Romania. Never did I realise that I was sporting something futuristic...

johnnycanuck
11-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Something I found this last week.

http://www.abbyshot.com/products/ps-deckard-trench.php

TM
11-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Except for the odd front protrusion, I also prefer Roy's jacket:

http://images.43things.com/profile/168909pw400.jpg

Tony

Indy Magnoli
11-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, that was one of the most long sought-after coats from film history. Abbey Shot did a replica, then the guys from the RPF tore it to pieces with a lot of recommondations. They then remade it with the new info, and I think their latest version is probably the best one available. I was thinking of tackling this replica myself, but the fans are quite obsessive about the details, making it a fairly daunting project. Abbey Shot seems to have done a good job with this one...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Flitcraft
11-16-2006, 07:48 PM
That does look pretty good!
I'm curious- what the heck is "Mercury Cloth"? Maybe something like Grenfell, or ventile, maybe?

johnnycanuck
11-17-2006, 12:37 AM
If you read the October news letter (found at the bottom of the home page) it gives you a little more information about the two versions they offer.
Johnny

CoffeeDude
01-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Up here in Seattle, I'd be tempted to get the more weather proof version, but only if they could improve the collar.

MK
01-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Hey Coffeedude! It is good to see you here, stranger.

CoffeeDude
01-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks MK. When things calm down here in a few weeks I am going to need to relax with a flying pie. Know where I can get one? ;)

MK
01-09-2007, 04:44 PM
I think I might know a place.;)

Just make sure it is after I return from London. One should never eat a flying pie alone.

CoffeeDude
01-10-2007, 03:01 PM
... One should never eat a flying pie alone.I never do. I always have a beer with it. :beer: When do you get back from London?

MB5
02-04-2007, 06:54 PM
You think a talior or a peron could do it themselves by modifing a trench coat?

It is easier to just start from scratch. I don't think there is enough spare fabric on a normal coat to make the changes, and I could not find a single breasted trench with the right sleeves. I used a standard trench to make the base pattern and then modified it to create the Deckard Coat.

http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~wws3/coat.JPG

griffer
07-11-2007, 01:31 PM
I am in the market for one of these, or an off the rack close approximation.

Any ideas?

johnnycanuck
07-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Doing a little on-line research I have not found anything bad posted about http://www.abbyshot.com/products/ps-deckard-trench.php
e-mail and ask about sizing. In my experience they have good communication.
Johnny.

Edward
07-12-2007, 05:55 AM
I do like the Deckard coat. I didn't care for Blade Runner when I first saw it, but like so many other things, I find that either i have changed, or it has grown on me. I have only ever seen the director's cut, not the (much maligned) cinematic release.

Deckard's look in its entirety wasn't for me, but I do think aside from it being a little 80s for me that it wasn't a bad stab at getting the look of a 30s noir detective who landed naked in a future charity shop (thrift store?) and clothed himself in something approaching a familiar style based on what was available to hand. I guess the military equivalent would have been a WW2 GI landing in a modern GAP.... lol

Feraud
07-12-2007, 05:59 AM
The voiceover version is the only true version of Blade Runner.
Everything else is revisionist history.

I have only ever seen the director's cut, not the (much maligned) cinematic release.

Edward
07-12-2007, 07:18 AM
The voiceover version is the only true version of Blade Runner.
Everything else is revisionist history.

For real? I've only ever encountered folks who have a very definite preference for the DC before. I can't comment myself as, as stated, I haven't seen the voiceover.

Feraud
07-12-2007, 07:23 AM
For real? I've only ever encountered folks who have a very definite preference for the DC before. I can't comment myself as, as stated, I haven't seen the voiceover.

Not to get too off topic but all film (including Blade Runner) have their faults.
The same people who cry "artistic foul!" at directors like Spielberg and Lucas for tampering with their original films apparently have no problem with Ridley Scott removing and adding elements (plot revisions) to his. Go figure..

herringbonekid
07-12-2007, 07:33 AM
the voice-over and happy ending in the original were studio-enforced changes. surely it's perfectly valid for a director to re-cut a film the way he originally intended at a later date ? i don't think that's the same thing as tampering.

Feraud
07-12-2007, 07:46 AM
the voice-over and happy ending in the original were studio-enforced changes. surely it's perfectly valid for a director to re-cut a film the way he originally intended at a later date ? i don't think that's the same thing as tampering.

I tend to agree with the sentiment. Along comes Spielberg and replaces shotgun wielding governement agents chasing children with walkie talking versions. Lucas opts to justify Solo shooting Greedo by giving him proper justification. In both films (E.T. & Star Wars) the directors returned to edit their own work.
Once we start down that slippery slope...

Edit- Regarding Blade Runner, I like the voice over and can ignore the happy ending. The real travesty is the implication of Deckard's humanity. Now that changes the entire tone of the film!

griffer
07-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I will forever be torn between the two versions.

I rather like the voice over. There could be less of it.

And I also like the orgami commentary, unicorn implants, etc.

I am curious what the definitive version will be... a hybrid of International version, theater, both 'director's cuts'...

I want the best of both extremes.

TM
07-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I saw a pre-release screening of Blade Runner that had the voice over, but not the happy ending. The film ended with the elevator doors crashing closed. But was the voice over an addition imposed by a studio? Or was it part of the original. If you watch a non-voice over edition, notice the scene where Deckard is waiting for a seat at the outdoor sushi bar. Without the voice over the timing of the scene is all wrong.

So who knows? Great film though.

Tony

Edward
07-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Maybe there is a definitve, compromise version yet to be made....

I can understand both sides of the argument, really - Feraud & HBK make a good point re the Lucas / Spielberg issue.... I do find often that the Director's cut version of some films really adds nothing, in others it's significant (thinking especially of the Return of the King, where the extended version adds in Sauron's fate, a significant tying up of a plot thread that was missing in the cinematic release - cut for time). IMO, the recently released Richard Donner version of Superman II was a far superior film to the version the Studio cut after he finished. The one I'm still waiting for though is a Frank Oz cut of Little Shop of Horrors - it's an absolute trasvesty what the Studio did to that - they spent six million dollars on a fantastic end sequence, true to the original show, only to replace it with the crappy happy ending because the test audiences whined about it. I guess movie studios are in the business of making money, not art.

Really, what I'm getting at is that the director's cut is not always superior: sometimes, they got it right first time around, and the later revamp is only adding in stuff that wasn't good enough to go in originally, or just padding it out for the DVd release to sell more. Self indulgence happens. Other times, the cinematic release bears the hallmarks of studio fiddling to the denigration of the whole, and a director's cut removes those alterations.

Anyhow, sorry to have run off OT... to bring it back in line with the thread, whichever version of Blade Runner people like bette,r they both have that same cool coat! :)

griffer
07-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Maybe there is a definitve, compromise version yet to be made....

I am very curious to see if that is the route Scott takes with this fall's release.

He actually re-shot scenes.

Due to cost overruns, the footage available to him for the theatrical cut and the later director's cut did not represent what he was trying to do entirely.

And yes, sometimes, the director's cut is just a longer version with scenes jammed in for marketing.

That said, with 5 versions in the new box set this fall, there's bound to be one that is pretty close to my ideal.

And as much as I like the DC, the the first scene with Harrison isn't the same without, "Sushi. That's what my ex-wife called me. Cold fish."

Jovan
07-12-2007, 01:03 PM
The fabric isn't quite as screen accurate in colour but here's another one. http://baronboutique.com/movie_replica_2.htm (Scroll down to the bottom.)

I wouldn't particularly recommend AbbyShot. I once was interested in getting something of theirs, got some really disappointing fabric samples, and also got run-around or non-replies to some very important questions of mine. The fabrics are mostly synthetic blends... yes, even the "wools" are about half synthetic. Also, their garment construction seems little more than based off an adjusted pattern (when they touted their products as "custom tailored") and things like standing collars on coats are just fused and not canvas interlined. Abby herself even tried to convince me -- back when they had a forum -- that fusing was perfectly fine, given everyone in the industry does it. We should all lower our standards because everyone else does. That's comforting. :rolleyes: Maybe the reason they don't show customer pictures of their Neo coats much either is because it's apparent the collar and other important areas don't fit them right and bunch up in all the wrong places. Frankly, I'm not impressed.

griffer
07-12-2007, 02:04 PM
The fabric isn't quite as screen accurate in colour but here's another one. http://baronboutique.com/movie_replica_2.htm

It looks short.

I emailed him.

Erik

Feraud
07-12-2007, 02:08 PM
The fabric isn't quite as screen accurate in colour but here's another one. http://baronboutique.com/movie_replica_2.htm (Scroll down to the bottom.)

Most of the pictures on that page are from movies. Where are the pictures of their product?

I believe that Blade Runner photo is an auction photo.

griffer
07-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Most of the pictures on that page are from movies. Where are the pictures of their product?

I believe that Blade Runner photo is an auction photo.

You didn't look close enough.

Yes, the initial picture is from an auction photo, cropped, but there is a link to photos of their actual creations.

Jovan
07-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Indeed. As I said, the fabric they use isn't quite as screen accurate in colour -- that should have tipped you off, Feraud. ;)

TM
07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
The actual shots do not look that close to the original to me. Color, length, detailing, etc.

Why should it be hard to duplicate this?

Rachael: Do you like our owl?
Deckard: Is it artificial?
Rachael: Of course it is.
Deckard: Must be expensive.
Rachael: Very. It seems you feel our work is not a benefit to the public.
Deckard: Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, it's not my problem.

Tony

Feraud
07-12-2007, 09:18 PM
You didn't look close enough.

Yes, the initial picture is from an auction photo, cropped, but there is a link to photos of their actual creations.
Oops. I see now. Their Deckard trenchcoat looks horrible.

MrBern
07-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Was th Bladerunner trench something created for the film from scratch? Or was it a pre-existing garment worked up by the costumers? I've always liked Roy's coat w/ its odd collar.

Incidentally, professional propmaker RichardCoyle did a few articles on his years of research trying to get to th very bottom of the Bladerunner pistol
click this Prop Link (http://www.racprops.com/issue4/projectbr_pt1/)

griffer
07-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Oops. I see now. Their Deckard trenchcoat looks horrible.

I think, for the price, it is actually very servicable. They got right back to me and explained that I could specify the length and that that coat was made for a short person.

They seemed very nice.

Of course, the first thing I will do if I get it is soak with a garden hose and leave it outside for a few days. I might wear it in NY and stand next to big puddles to get that special oily water stained look.

I will also try to get the coat made a couple shades darker.

Was th Bladerunner trench something created for the film from scratch? Or was it a pre-existing garment worked up by the costumers? I've always liked Roy's coat w/ its odd collar.

Incidentally, professional propmaker RichardCoyle did a few articles on his years of research trying to get to th very bottom of the Bladerunner pistol
click this Prop Link (http://www.racprops.com/issue4/projectbr_pt1/)

Purpose built/designed by Charles Knode for the film. Same with Deckard's jacket and shirts.

I love RAC's version of the blaster. There is a used one up on eBay that I am looking at and I emailed the man himself about availability on new ones.

Hartford, a Japanese company also makes an airsoft version of the blaster. It works off gas loaded replica bullets. You load gas and BBs into each bullet. But it's about $1,200 for the gun state-side. BOO!

I wish I knew someone in Japan who could pick one up for me....

Jovan
07-13-2007, 01:12 PM
I've had passing interest in them making the other leather coat from Underworld, the one the armourer and the others wear all except for Selene (I guess she's entitled to a different one as daddy's little vampire girl). However, I wouldn't see where I could wear it. That's the problem with replicas like that and the Neo coats, etc. -- not wearable besides at scifi conventions or Hallowe'en.

The Deckard coat? Well, it's just a really stylish rain coat. Probably the reason it's in demand.

griffer
07-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Oh I don't think I would wear it out as a raincoat.

griffer
07-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I just won one of the most screen accurate reproductions of the blaster from Blade Runner ever made.

The Richard A. Coyle C&S Blade Runner blaster is MINE!

Finally after 25 years, I own the coolest gun I have ever seen on screen!

http://www.racprops.com/issue5/brblaster_take2/

http://www.brmovie.com/Images/Things/blaster_02.jpg

http://www.yourprops.com/norm-44ea616848cc7-Blade+Runner.jpeg

No, it doesn't fire, but Hartford out of Japan makes an airsoft version...

Jovan
07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
:eusa_clap

Gaige
07-14-2007, 03:21 PM
:eek:

Feraud
07-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I just won one of the most screen accurate reproductions of the blaster from Blade Runner ever made.

The Richard A. Coyle C&S Blade Runner blaster is MINE!

Finally after 25 years, I own the coolest gun I have ever seen on screen!
No, it doesn't fire, but Hartford out of Japan makes an airsoft version... Awesome! I have wanted one for years but could not dole out the scratch for it.
Do you know what version it is?

Jovan
07-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Kyle Katarn and his pistol in the first Dark Forces game have a passing resemblance to the hero and his sidearm in Blade Runner. Coincidence? I think not.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/Katarn_darkforces.png

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/4/45/Bryar_closeup.jpg

griffer
07-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Awesome! I have wanted one for years but could not dole out the scratch for it.
Do you know what version it is?

i think its V2.

its ebay, so i'll see what it REALLY is when i get it.

Burns
09-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to put my 2 in and let you know that I splurged on an Abby Shot Deckard Trench that I was able to see and try on at Dragon-Con this past weekend. Abby Shot had a booth there.

I'm pretty impressed with it. It's almost exactly screen-perfect (I read that a little of the stitching on the collar is off, but I have yet to find where, so it must be a tiny detail).

It's here: http://www.abbyshot.com/products/ps-deckard-trench.php

Now to figure out that damned shirt. I read someone has one just like it from Romania? Do they have any more in a size XL? :)

Cheers,
Burns

Jovan
09-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm glad it worked out for you. Many customers of AbbyShot... not so much. I wouldn't personally recommend them, as they seem little more than people who just happen to sew and yet charge premium prices.

Feraud
09-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to put my 2 in and let you know that I splurged on an Abby Shot Deckard Trench that I was able to see and try on at Dragon-Con this past weekend. Abby Shot had a booth there.

I'm pretty impressed with it. It's almost exactly screen-perfect (I read that a little of the stitching on the collar is off, but I have yet to find where, so it must be a tiny detail).

It's here: http://www.abbyshot.com/products/ps-deckard-trench.php

Now to figure out that damned shirt. I read someone has one just like it from Romania? Do they have any more in a size XL? :)

Cheers,
Burns

Welcome to the Lounge Burns.
I would love to see pictures of your jacket when you get the opportunity.

Thanks.

Feraud
09-07-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm glad it worked out for you. Many customers of AbbyShot... not so much. I wouldn't personally recommend them, as they seem little more than people who just happen to sew and yet charge premium prices.
Is this an opinion or have you owned one of their garments?

Jovan
09-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Based on all the stories I've heard of shoddy construction, holding their [really bad and mostly sythetic] fabrics in person, and seeing a lot of pictures that featured such awfully bunched up and wrinkled collars. On top of that, it's only made-to-measure. Anything slightly custom beyond adding pockets (which they charge for) will cost even more. It doesn't seem worth the while to me when other companies are doing the same things, with better fabrics and construction, fully custom, for a lower price. But, that's just my opinion.

Feraud
09-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Based on all the stories I've heard of shoddy construction, holding their [really bad and mostly sythetic] fabrics in person, and seeing a lot of pictures that featured such awfully bunched up and wrinkled collars. On top of that, it's only made-to-measure. Anything slightly custom beyond adding pockets (which they charge for) will cost even more. It doesn't seem worth the while to me when other companies are doing the same things, with better fabrics and construction, fully custom, for a lower price. But, that's just my opinion.
What other company is doing the Deckard trench with better fabrics, construction, custom and at a lower price?

I am very interested to get one.

griffer
09-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Me too, but I haven't found any.

The blade runner forums seem to be very pleased with the Abbyshot V2.

Jovan
09-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Feraud, Baron Boutique also makes one, in slightly lighter coloured fabric and with a quilted lining (which you can change if you ask). It appears short in proportions because the customer they made the pictured coat for is rather short. I believe the member here making his Deckard costume ordered from them -- still have yet to hear about it.

So far, my only gripe looking from a distance is that the fabric could be a bit darker and rustier in colour, but frankly costumes look all sorts of colours in different lighting throughout movies and TV anyway. Just look at the "gold" coloured uniforms in Star Trek which were actually BRIGHT LIME GREEN in real life!

Burns
08-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Hiya all, sorry I dropped off there, had an interesting year.

I so far haven't had any trouble with bunched up collars or any shoddy construction, but I'm also not an expert with sewing (hence shelling out the dough for someone else to do it. ;) )

As far as the color, realize that throughout most of the movie it is raining and the coat is drenched, which makes it a lot darker. I suppose they could make their coat darker in color to compensate, but I'd rather have something true to the prop personally. I will take some pics of it and post as soon as I can. Sorry once again for the long delay. :)

Any new news on the shirt, or am I just looking at making one... I've got the pattern figured out but not looking forward to making it work.

Charlie Noodles
09-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I could be wrong; but wasn't the movie coat's collar a deep ridged corduroy or similar? AS and BB don't appear to get this right.

Not-Bogart13
09-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Noodles, I have to agree about the collar. It always reminded me of a knit wool sweater lining detail, similar to the sweater he wears at the end.

I know Magnoli had expressed interest in attempting a Blade Runner coat if someone wanted to commission it. I don't know that he's had any takers yet. He does have a great Deckard tie, though.

MrBern
09-01-2008, 08:14 PM
the poster artwork definitely played up the ribbing. Im not sure how much the actual costume had....but there is definitely some.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2091/2092450886_92f6071165.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3136/2764516871_da68b12267.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/161/423227053_49498ff2da.jpg

blueray case
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/2733063550_0faa63344e.jpg

Admiral Kirk `82, hmmmm....
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2211/2091664839_3fa581e9ee.jpg

MrBern
09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
heres a dark shot thats in focus..

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/423227638_e9d3e40a62.jpg

Charlie Noodles
09-01-2008, 09:03 PM
AS's looks like it's going on that poster art rather than the coat itself.

Rachael
09-01-2008, 09:31 PM
The collar has been the greatest debate in making this coat. Instead of ribbing fabric or heavy wale corduroy, I believe that the original had piped rills in it. The ribs don't look 'fuzzy' enough to be corduroy or wool ribbing, and the collar very much looks to be the same color and texture as the rest of the coat. The only way this could have been done would be to garment dye the entire coat, have two fabrics made in the same dye lot, or to use the same fabric throughout the garment with structural detail added to the collar.

Not-Bogart13
09-02-2008, 12:48 PM
heres a dark shot thats in focus..

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/423227638_e9d3e40a62.jpg

That is the best still I have ever seen of the collar, and I stand corrected on my theory. Rachael seems to have the right idea!

Rachael
09-02-2008, 01:23 PM
this is my interpretation of the collar:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/megsthreads/arc60collar370.jpg

Feraud
09-02-2008, 02:01 PM
this is my interpretation of the collar:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/megsthreads/arc60collar370.jpg
That looks good. Do you have a closeup available?

Rachael
09-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I think this is the closest pic I have. It's a bit dark, but it does show detail nicely.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/megsthreads/cfcollar1-1.jpg

Not-Bogart13
09-03-2008, 01:27 PM
That looks dead-on! Great job!

Rachael
09-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Many thanks! This coat (and related projects) has morphed from a simple Halloween costume to a career change; it's been quite a ride, but at last my borderline OCD has provided a calling.

Feraud
09-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Rachel, the close up of the collar is fantastic.
I may have missed your earlier contribution to this thread.
Did you fabricate your own Blade Runner trench?
Is it finished? Do you have additional pictures? I would love to see them.

Rachael
09-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I just jumped into the middle of the thread, as is often my habit.

Yes, I have made a replica of the trenchcoat. It was for Halloween last year, and we made the rounds at the re-release and a local Sci-Con here in town dressed as Deckard and Rachael (thus the name). It was in researching the styles that I revived my interest in vintage clothing, since many of the pieces are very close variations of Golden Age styles. Here are some of the pictures I have, I would be happy to take more if anyone wants to see details.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/megsthreads/DSCN8764-1.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/megsthreads/BR2008Trench.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/megsthreads/coat5.jpg

Not-Bogart13
09-03-2008, 09:21 PM
May as well slide this in; I got an e-mail from Magnoli. He's curious to see if a custom Deckard shirt would sell. Drop him a message if it's something you'd think of buying.

Charlie Noodles
09-03-2008, 09:29 PM
I would like to see more photos Rachael. I'd probably buy that shirt if Magnoli was to produce one too. But not for a while.

Rachael
09-03-2008, 09:37 PM
let me know what you'd like to see; there are dozens of shots and I don't want to take over the thread..

many are on my myspace page and website as well.

Charlie Noodles
09-07-2008, 12:18 AM
let me know what you'd like to see; there are dozens of shots and I don't want to take over the thread..

many are on my myspace page and website as well.

Don't worry about it. I checked out your site. It really puts those other ones to shame.

No one seems to have mentioned making his woven silk jacket. I wonder how difficult that would be?

Indy Magnoli
09-07-2008, 12:27 AM
No one seems to have mentioned making his woven silk jacket. I wonder how difficult that would be?

I've got the right material to do it (a raw silk), and plenty of shots to get the pattern down right... the only problem is the color. It's a bit odd, so that will be hard to match up right.

Kind regards,
Indy

Rachael
09-07-2008, 12:29 AM
yes, the jacket is always skipped, and often unnoticed. We had to forego it in the first run due to time constraints, and went with a jacket in a similar fabric that was lying around. It is on my short list currently, just a matter of finding silk in the right shade.

... yeah, what Indy said...

Charlie Noodles
09-07-2008, 02:05 AM
Ever seen anyone try to do a Gaff costume?

TM
09-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Rachael,

Why don't you and Indy get together and sell these coats? You've done the research and made the prototype, Indy could do the production, and you could split the millions of dollars in profits!

Anyway, great job on the coat!

Tony

MrBern
09-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Ever seen anyone try to do a Gaff costume?

The trickiest part would be learning origami!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3223/2836994999_17f1134b7d.jpg

Charlie Noodles
09-07-2008, 11:56 PM
The trickiest part would be learning origami!

I tried making a unicorn before. Didn't go too well... Might give it another shot later.

ShoreRoadLady
09-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Rachael, that coat is incredible! It looks like you hit on exactly the right collar technique, too.

griffer
09-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Rachel-

Fantastic job!

I have dropped of this site, but ones of these Halloweens, my wife and I will actually do the Deckard/Rachel costume. Not this one, as we are travelling.

Curious, have you thought about selling the coat and/or shirt?

The shirt looks great, and yes, Magnoli, for the right price, I would be interested.

I still need to solve the holster issue....

Rachael
09-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the feedback on the coat! It's always good to hear opinions on a project, even better when they're compliments. I do have a website if you're interested in having something made. The tricky part about the shirt is finding the right fabric. You can see the copy I made in my close-up of the coat collar, I understand that Indy will be offering a screen accurate version.

Mr. John Smith
09-09-2008, 03:30 AM
I don't get to post as often as I would like (I rarely have time to sleep!), but I will say this:

That has got to be hands down one of the nicest coats I've seen in some time, regardless of the dead-on Bladerunner look. You should be proud!

Matt Deckard
09-09-2008, 04:56 PM
I like the work Rachel.

Could we see the Indy shirt up close?

Feraud
09-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I tried making a unicorn before. Didn't go too well... Might give it another shot later.
Or you could have Mick Guy who made the origami pieces for the film do yours. ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/feraud/General/Picture603.jpg

Rachael
09-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Went shopping today, and found this:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/megsthreads/fabric.jpg

it's a worsted wool instead of silk but it has the same hand as a silk noile, and the texture and color are great. The herringbone is so subtle I didn't even notice it until I took the picture. I may use the reverse to get a more random texture

Craig Robertson
09-10-2008, 06:43 PM
"...it has the same hand as..."

I love that phrase, it's very descriptive.

And your Deckard Trench Coat is wonderful. I've had the same five overcoats for the last few years and I think it's about time to add one....

Doctor Damage
04-07-2012, 07:08 AM
What's the latest opinion on the "best" Deckard trench reproduction?

nevadapd
04-07-2012, 08:49 AM
After reading here, I find I'm interested in this (Deckard's) trench coat too. I checked Magnoli Clothiers and it looks like a very nice version is available: http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/deckard-trenchcoat-overcoats-p-286.html . Did Rachael and Indy Magnoli wind up collaborating on this? I must say the design is right up there with the best trenchcoat designs of the 20th century IMO.

Also, does anyone know why Philip K. Dick's work wound up translating so well to film? "Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep?" was but one of several of his stories to be made into films, and most of them are good, again IMO. Perhaps he was just a great plot-meister.

Fifty150
04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
"well that was SO eighties....and a waste of two hours...; why would they be wearing '80's clothes in the future?"

What gave her the idea that it was "80's"? Edward James Olmos?

Fifty150
04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Bladerunner bombed in the theaters. But it grabbed a cult audience

Sort of like Big Trouble In Little China.

DesertDan
04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Funny, I happend to watch both movies yesterday. :D

Hammer Down
04-12-2012, 06:53 PM
This coat brings back memories. Blade Runner was a life changing film for me, much more so than Raiders. Thank you for the unique thread. Very cool :D I only wish Sean Young had acted in more films. Ford wasn't bad, either, of course, and his cotton trench coat added to the futuristic/noir atmosphere of the film.

Speaking of which, here is an interesting aside http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/27/sean-young-blade-runner-actress-arrested-post-oscars_n_1303797.html

Otter
04-13-2012, 02:42 AM
I agree with you Hammer, it would have been nice to see her more. IIRC she made a few films past this but gathered a reputation as being very demanding on set, and the roles dried up.