PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a hat

MDphoto
07-08-2008, 07:07 AM
In a few days I will be leaving for my first trip out west to Phoenix. I will mainly be around the Grand Canyon and I have no idea what type of hat to bring or purchase before my trip. Unfortunately, I will be leaving in just a couple of days so I don't have time to order anything online.
Can anyone recommend a hat I can pick up at a store like Khols, Target, Walmart, Belk or a Dillards?

I finally get to feel a "dry heat" instead of my local "very humid, shirt stuck to your back" North Carolina heat! lol

johnnycanuck
07-08-2008, 07:34 AM
What style are you looking for? Price range?
Without any other information, I can recommend a Tilley. Several stores carry them in your State. Look under "Retail Stores" and you will get a list.
http://www.tilley.com/
Only other hat I would recommend on a last minute basis is a cowboy/outback style. Look up your local tack shops in you yellow pages.
If you can find a local hat shop, all the power to you. The only local one in my city is more of a fashion, stingy brimmed, kind of store. not much good for sun protection/travel hats.
Hope that helps.
Johnny

Lefty
07-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Research shops that are out there and find something you really want.
It will be much more fun to come home with a hat you bought on your trip.

Edward
07-08-2008, 07:49 AM
In terms of practicality, I would highly recommend something along the lines of a felt bush hat. Though hotter and a little sweatier than a straw, it's a bit more flexible if there's a chance of rain, making it the ideal travel hat. Rain might not be much of an issue where you're going, but thinking ahead for future trips....

AlanC
07-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Yeah, you're going to find that something like a Tilley or a cowboy type hat is all that you'll be able to find. Also try feed stores (Southern States type places) for work straws. You want something with a good sized brim. Since you're in a hurry I wouldn't spend too much.

John in Covina
07-08-2008, 08:22 AM
While in Grand Canyon area will you be visiting any cities or small towns. There might be a hat shop. OR There are cowboy stores that carry hats and boots and jeans and such. You might check there. You could get a cowboy hat and later do a cowboy conversion to fedora, there is a couple of neat threads on the conversion process.

Lefty
07-08-2008, 08:27 AM
...including my favorite conversion (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23835) on the Lounge.

MDphoto
07-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks a lot of the input. I'm hoping to find something that i'll like to wear a lot instead of just once in awhile.

I'll see what I can find out there and hope for the best. I'm not sure how much time i'll get to just look around since I'm there on business. I may just bring an old cavanagh out there for at least the plane ride there:D

Lefty- that is a really neat link you sent me. Being down here in the south, I may have to check that conversion out for myself!

Mahagonny Bill
07-08-2008, 03:57 PM
A few folks have recommended Tilley hats and I heartily agree. I usually wear a TH4 Hemp Tilley in hot weather to keep the sun off. It is remarkably breathable and soft enough to pack or even roll into a pocket without loosing shape. Well worth the effort to find. The web site also has reasonable overnight shipping fees if you are in a hurry.

WideBrimm
07-08-2008, 04:12 PM
A good western wear store you might try is Sheplers. They have some locations in Phoenix. http://www.sheplers.com/storelocations.cfm

One thing to remember about the southwest is that it can be very windy much of the time. So try to get a hat that fits snug, or has some kind of a wind string to keep it from blowing away - especially if you get to a Grand Canyon "overlook" :eek:

MDphoto
07-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Oh, thanks for the tip WideBrimm. I'm not sure exactly where, but I am being taken to the Grand Canyon.

You're right Mahagonny Bill, a lot of people have recommended the tilley. I'll check out the website

Thanks again everyone

handlebar bart
07-08-2008, 05:57 PM
In a few days I will be leaving for my first trip out west to Phoenix. I will mainly be around the Grand Canyon and I have no idea what type of hat to bring or purchase before my trip. Unfortunately, I will be leaving in just a couple of days so I don't have time to order anything online.
Can anyone recommend a hat I can pick up at a store like Khols, Target, Walmart, Belk or a Dillards?

I finally get to feel a "dry heat" instead of my local "very humid, shirt stuck to your back" North Carolina heat! lol

Arizona heat sucks too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( Have a great time at the Grand Canyon.

Colby Jack
07-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I'll agree with Bart on the subject of heat!:eusa_clap It will probably be cooler around the canyon, than around Phoenix.[huh]

Orvil Newton
07-09-2008, 03:17 PM
What style are you looking for? Price range?
Without any other information, I can recommend a Tilley. ...
Johnny

A Tilley!? C'mon man. Something with some style! ;)

A straw Open Road will be perfect and he'll fit right in with the locals.

johnnycanuck
07-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Orvil, a straw open road sounds nice, but I have never seen one in a store. Being MDphoto stated he wants to buy one before he leaves I just recommended the good quality hats you can buy almost anywhere.
Johnny
P.S. Style is subjective. One persons ugly is another persons Prince.

Orvil Newton
07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
P.S. Style is subjective. One persons ugly is another persons Prince.

That is certainly the truth lol

Mossyrock
07-10-2008, 09:15 AM
https://ssl.webwize.com/Sunbody/category.cfm?Category=6&CFID=3761388&CFTOKEN=39106890

Take a look here. I have one of their Tear Drop Fedoras, and it is a great Summer lid.