Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Bob Smalser said:
355277027.jpg

Decades ago as a draftee, I served as an infantryman in the 87th US Mountain Infantry in the Rhoen Mountains and Thueringerwald of the Inter-German border. The outfit is still around and when not in Afghanistan, is based at Ft Drum NY.

What I envied about our German and NATO mountain troop partners wasn't their hats, it was their wool knickers. I can think of no more practical garment for everyday walking and climbing. The difference with the OG wool trousers we wore in freedom of movement and comfort was remarkable.

Hello from Bavaria!

the pants are no longer in use. :( They have given way to light Goretex BDU.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Bob Smalser said:
355277027.jpg

Decades ago as a draftee, I served as an infantryman in the 87th US Mountain Infantry in the Rhoen Mountains and Thueringerwald of the Inter-German border. The outfit is still around and when not in Afghanistan, is based at Ft Drum NY.

What I envied about our German and NATO mountain troop partners wasn't their hats, it was their wool knickers. I can think of no more practical garment for everyday walking and climbing. The difference with the OG wool trousers we wore in freedom of movement and comfort was remarkable.
10th Mountain Division, Climb To Glory!

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Survey

Hello back!

the last few days, I was paying attention to what hats are currently worn in Winter in Bavarian streets.

1. Distribution:

Out of 100 one will find in average 4 - 6 hat wearing gentlemen. (Baseball- and furcaps are not counted). More hats are worn in the country.

2. Style:

Most are germanic/alpine county-style hats, followed by Indy/western/aussy, Classic fredoras are the most scarce (only spotted three downtown Munich late Monday afternoon). Homburgs: zero

3. Colour:

Black, folllowed by green, then brownish colous and fer grays.

In hat shops black, green and navy blue hats are predominant. Some brown, but almost no grays.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Bob Smalser said:
355277027.jpg

Here is a link to a song of the Italian mountain troopers about their hat. Quiet a traditional and distinctive uniform hat:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tA3glhTgeOY&hl=de&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tA3glhTgeOY&hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hückel in Homburg Nation

Hello there,

there is a dating discussion going on in the Homburg Nation Thread. Maybe, someone can help contribute hats for comparison and dating or other beneficial input.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ