Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Mario said:
I hear ya! I do already have a couple of nice Mayser hats by now, even though they all seem to date from the 1960s.

You seem to have a special interest in Mayser as well... :D

Same here. Not many survived the war years. Just have to keep looking.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Im curious Mayserwegner, why are you so interested in Mayser Hats? They werent sold here that much in the USA. The only German company that sold much here was Habig -althought back then they were made in Austria.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

besdor said:
Im curious Mayserwegner, why are you so interested in Mayser Hats? They werent sold here that much in the USA. The only German company that sold much here was Habig -althought back then they were made in Austria.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Because I also collect traditional Alpen hats. Mayser as you know was a major producer of such hats. Also as far as I know Habig was always out of Austria. They did have a hat factory in Berlin in the early 1900s.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I know that when Carl Habig sold his factory around 1989 , the license went to Mayser in Germany. We bought many hats from Habig over the years. Their suede finish was nicer that Borsalino . Mayser still has the license but rarely uses it anymore.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

besdor said:
I know that when Carl Habig sold his factory around 1989 , the license went to Mayser in Germany. We bought many hats from Habig over the years. Their suede finish was nicer that Borsalino . Mayser still has the license but rarely uses it anymore.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

That is interesting about Mayser acquiring the Habig license. I know Barbara Habig does some design work for Mayser. She also has her own small line of fashion hats under the Habig label. Those hats are made under contract in Italy (not sure by who). Mayser is also out sourcing and dropped all but a couple of their traditional hat models.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I know Barbara Habig. She is the daughter of Carl Habig. Interestingly , she mentioned once that she has a collection of vintage derbies (bowlers) that the company was sellling. I dont know the prices that they wanted for the hats . I think that the hats that she was marketing were made by Mayser. As for Mayser themselves, they have a nice collection today but its difficult to sell them in the US market. They are better choices out there for the few remainig people that want to buy a decent hat!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

I have a couple of her hats. I got them through the Mayser rep I know here in the USA. The ones I have are made in Italy probably through some connection with Mayser. I do know that Mayser made some excellent traditional style hats up to moving production out of Germany. I posted an example earlier in this thread. Most of their traditional hats were made Slovenia after moving production out of Germany.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I know Roberto very well. He reps a few hat lines. He is also the agent for panama hat bodies from Equador. I have a few Habig hats that Barbara designes. They are very different looking . I dont think they will ever be considered main stream .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

They are bit edgy but I do like her take on the Homburg. I think it is called the 'Steven' (my name too). Also nice to see her keep the Habig name going. Yes Roberto is the rep. Fine person.

Taunus Porkpie

Here is vintage Taunus porkpie. I am thinking this one is late 1950s. It is never worn / mint condition.

3636643704_a586a8233a_b.jpg

3636644096_c0d0b8befb_b.jpg

3636644176_650b334d51_b.jpg

3636643788_3a836aaedc_b.jpg

3636644378_4b70e95c9f.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The quality of the parabuntal straw is very nice. The problem is that Mayser does not do a good job on the flanging of the hat. They come out too soft. Tesi does as much better job on straws.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hückel Super Sport black melousine velour

Here is the Hückel melusine hat, that was featured in another thread. Most probably pre 1945. Certinly pre Tonak (CSSR) production, for there are no made in CSSR indications and the sweatband is similar to other vintage Hückels from war or pre-war times.

It is the finest hat of that kind, I have come across!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Wow! This one is really a breathtakingly beautiful hat! Outstanding. And I see you've got rid of the few smudges. Not that I could see a trace left of them.

Let me see: The color is beautiful. I really like the ribbon - très chic! And the edge looks really interesting, too. What can I say more...err..ah, yes: the d**n thing simply wasn't my size...! ;) :D

Great find - congrats! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dreispitz

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
The 1950s Wegener (size 59cm) arrived! I have to thank Mario again for the tip on this one. SUPER nice hat and a very rare find!

3651103299_a11c6d7a8f_b.jpg

Gerat Hat, indeed!!!

Wegener did make OEM hats for Stetson, by the way ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider