Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Mayser I picked up recently. I am guessing 1970s but it has some very nice felt and I really like the ribbon and liner color.

3660917210_c5277dcd5c_b.jpg

3660917400_1e2acd98db_b.jpg

3660119437_f34ef2c8fc_b.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Wegener Colonel

My latest aqusition: A Wegener Colonel from 1966. The manufacturing date was stamped on the inside of the sweatband: May 11, 1966. Thanks for the info, Wegener! The hat is a size 6 7/8, the crown measures 4 1/2", the brim is 2" wide.

Wegener-Colonel-new.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
Mayser I picked up recently. I am guessing 1970s but it has some very nice felt and I really like the ribbon and liner color.

Congrats, this looks like a beautiful hat. And you're right about the liner, it's a great color. :eusa_clap

I'm still looking for a tan or tawny colored hat...

I think I paid about the same for this 60s or 70s Mayser-Milz. I believe Mayser-Milz was located near Düsseldorf. I guess it was some type off shoot of Mayser Lindenberg.

3661126830_5e90b39bbf_b.jpg

3661126986_c23345b3c2_b.jpg

3660327849_2e42f4297b_b.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Cambridge, Antilope finish

This one is from a brand called Cambridge, and while the name might suggest that it is English, I'm sure it is (or rather: was) actually a German manufacturer (judging by the label). The felt finish on this hat is called Antilope. It's very soft, light and smooth and a real pleasure to touch.

Size is 6 7/8. Crown is 4 3/4", brim is 2". The color is a very deep charcoal grey.

Cambridge.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I miss the Habig company. In their day, I think Habig made a great hat. We used to sell tons of them in our stores. their specialty were theur fancty finishes such as suede and velour finishes. They also had a beautiful long hair finish.

Steven
www.bencraftats.com

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
Hi there!

Nice to see some German & Austrian Hats here - they have been mostly neglected here so far! In my opinion most of the vintage German fedoras are or really good quality. The felt, usually rabbit felt because there were not too man beavers in Germany, is mostly of exceptional quality as well.

A year ago, I bought a bunch of new old Stock hats in 59/60 cm. My size is about 59,5cm so I had them ironed by my hatter here in Hamburg, Diter Beermann.
Recently, he ironed a new old stock German silk top hat from the 50ies in shape for my head and now it fits perfectly :).

@mayserwegener (Name is Programm ;))
Do you buy all kinds of hats or are all of those hats in your size?

@all
Does anybody of you have German literature about hatmaking and hatters in general?
I have a bunch of tailoring books and they are very comprehensive and I expect the same for books about hats.

I have to post some pics of my hat this week...

hatted

One of the Regulars
I'm gonna voice an opinion that some may not appreciate. Here's the thing: these really furry hats, though fedora-like in shape (at least some of them) lack a certain crispness that makes a fedora "cool" (they're certainly not sleek). Again, it's just an opinion, but seriously, these things are shaggy (I keep imagining Chewbacca wearing one, maybe in a color that contrasts with his brown fur)lol .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko