PDA

View Full Version : Universal Apology to Bald Men

deanzat
12-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Growing up, I always thought that bald men wore hats out of vanity, and I viewed this as a character flaw. Yeah, I was ignorant and arrogant. It's a wonder I never entered politics.

Now that I'm bald as a cue ball and live in a place that goes from triple digits in the summer to mid-20s in the winter, I finally get it. I'm HOT! I'm COLD! A hat can make all the difference. Sitting in my little office this Fall, I realized that a hat determined whether I concentrated on my work or concentrated on my shivering.

And if you're going to wear something for practical reasons, wearing something of quality shows real character, in my opinion.

Sorry guys. I didn't understand.
Z

Ande1964
12-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Remember, being bald and hatted is far better than fighting your condition with drugs, surgeries, rugs, and crazy combing!

Anj

David V
12-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Remember, being bald and hatted is far better than fighting your condition with drugs, surgeries, rugs, and crazy combing!

Anj

And you get to cool hats.

scotrace
12-16-2008, 09:50 AM
It's also important for your health (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=31985&highlight=cancers) to cover your head.

Carlisle Blues
12-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Interesting...never thought of it that way. I have worn fedoras since I was 14.
Love the look, the feel and the sun protection.

suitedcboy
12-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Yes, I'm a member of the HAT club for men. I get regular hat therapy.

gtdean48
12-16-2008, 10:34 AM
I definitely get fewer sinus infections & head colds thru regular hat wear in fall, winter & early spring. My wife is on me about sun damage so the rest of the year, the brim is about shade. My forehead is larger, maybe due to hat wear but the rest is still pretty thick. My good buddy always wears a cap. My mother said wearing the hat contributed to his baldness. I informed her he wears the cap because he is bald! gtd

Slim Portly
12-16-2008, 10:39 AM
My son, you are forgiven. Say three "Hail Hairy's" and practice your Hat-echism, go and doff no more, and if possible wear an Adam (the first sinless hat).

panama jack
12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
I am 58 years old and my hair is thinning. As a matter of choice I shave my head. Living in New England my head gets quite cold without a hat.
I was never much of a hat wearer when I was younger but since shaving my head there is now a need even in the summer. One bad sunburn in the summer cured me of going hatless.
I feel I have grown out of the baseball hat style so I have recently switched to fedoras. It just takes a little getting use to the new look.

pj

dhermann1
12-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Many years ago, in my callow youth, I used to think I wouldn't care whether I went bald. Now I'm in my 60's, and I'm lucky enough to have a luxurient crop of thick grey hair. But I realized a long time ago that I shouldn't be so complacent. I long ago decided to be grateful for what I have.
Just as a historical note, I once read that when Napoleon was retreating from his humiliating defeat in Russia, when 90% of the 400,000 men who went with him didn't return, they said it was the bald ones who died first.
However, there are plenty of people who look very cool with just the basic horseshoe, or even the old billiard ball look. Edward in the UK is a fine example of the latter.

deanzat
12-16-2008, 11:34 AM
My son, you are forgiven. Say three "Hail Hairy's" and practice your Hat-echism, go and doff no more, and if possible wear an Adam (the first sinless hat).

I feel better already. Z

epic610
12-16-2008, 11:50 AM
is it possible the bald soldiers died first because they tended to be the oldest and thus the least able to withstand the cold, fatigue, hunger and rigor of marching in a blizzard that the Grande Armie faced on their retreat from Moscow? just wondering.

Dewhurst
12-16-2008, 12:24 PM
You'd be surprised how many people actually believe that bald/balding blokes wear hats simply to hide their "shame". While it is certainly true that this does apply to some people, I'm sure most people here on The Lounge wouldn't fall in to that category.

As a person who is a rabid hat wearer with a full head of hair, it is pretty safe to say I just like hats! :p

deanzat
12-16-2008, 12:27 PM
is it possible the bald soldiers died first because they tended to be the oldest and thus the least able to withstand the cold, fatigue, hunger and rigor of marching in a blizzard that the Grande Armie faced on their retreat from Moscow? just wondering.

You lose a tremendous amount of heat through your head, regardless of age. I'm sure hypothermia played a huge role.

Edit: unless these guys are right: http://wildernessmedicinenewsletter.wordpress.com/2007/02/14/heat-loss-through-the-head-and-hypothermia/

Slim Portly
12-16-2008, 03:09 PM
You'd be surprised how many people actually believe that bald/balding blokes wear hats simply to hide their "shame". While it is certainly true that this does apply to some people, I'm sure most people here on The Lounge wouldn't fall in to that category.

How I wish that this great man would do one of three things: wear his fringes proudly, shave his head, or trade in those silly ball caps for some proper hats!

http://www.dga.org/news/images/howardsmll.jpg http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/bigpicture/images/ronhoward.jpg

bolthead
12-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Yes, I'm a member of the HAT club for men. I get regular hat therapy.
I'm not just a member.......I'm the President. :D

Anj

Well said Anj. :eusa_clap

randooch
12-16-2008, 06:37 PM
My niece recently said to me, "Uncle, there's a fly on your fivehead!" After I swatted it away, we had a good laugh, and I corrected her: by now it's definitely a "sixhead." My last name is an Irish derivation of the word "bald" and all of my male ancestors had that attribute (!), so I've been resigned for years. Wearing cool hats would've happened anyway, though; they just look right, hair or no.

The Wolf
12-16-2008, 11:59 PM
I accept your apology. :D

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Fletch
12-17-2008, 06:16 AM
As a member in good standing of the Lost Pompadour Squadron, I would like to request photos be posted of stylin' gents of the 20s to 40s era with nothing up front. There was something of a taboo against them in the media then, so you never see them in ads, films, etc.

Note: Seen plenty of pix of Ike, Churchill, etc. I need to know how a younger man would have worn his hair without a toop. (I used to plaster it straight-back, but now, what is left just flies up and makes me look deranged.)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/352978889_ead6e295e2_o.jpg

suitedcboy
12-17-2008, 07:18 AM
I have worn hats since childhood. My hair started thinning in my twenties.
Many of my relatives and a few others have commented over the years upon seeing my thinning hair when my hat was removed, "Grass doesn't grow well in the shade".
I think I'll keep using the shade..........

Ordinary Guy
12-17-2008, 01:12 PM
You lose a tremendous amount of heat through your head, regardless of age. I'm sure hypothermia played a huge role.

I never understood this until I started hunting.....
After my first winter of hunting I thought it was time to start wearing hats all the time....

ideaguy
12-17-2008, 04:18 PM
think I'd better change my avatar now...

celtic
12-18-2008, 07:13 AM
I shaved my head bald at a young age knowing that sooner or later i'd go bald.

I figured that way I'd be used to it and never feel bad about it later.

It has worked fine...I haven't had more than a millimeter or two of hair in over a decade and I have absolutely NO shame in being bald.

I wear hats for protection, otherwise (I'm sorry to say, especially here) I'd go hatless.

GWD
12-18-2008, 07:29 AM
I was told that God made only a few perfect heads, the rest he put hair on.

Apology accepted!

ideaguy
12-18-2008, 05:41 PM
was that a thinly-veiled dig? ( kidding...)

wore my hair very short for a long time, now reverted to the 60's; there is
too much of a good thing. very hard to look less than cro-magnon with a fedora, unless I wear a pony-tail. horses wear them too, and I'm afraid that I make an impression as the hind-quarters of a horse with this experiment...

odd as it may seem, there are many times that I would much rather have a peach-fuzz cut-but my cranium has enough battle scars, divots, and odd shape that to do so might scare too many innocent women & children.

Wish I had a good looking head...[huh]