Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
decodoll said:
It depends on what kind of cincher she got. If it's a corset with laces up the back then yes, 3-4 inches less that your waist measurement is right. If it's a Rago cincher or a girdle, then getting your waist measurement should be correct. Getting a stretchy rago cincher 3-4 inches too small would make it impossible to close and if you did manage it, very uncomfortable.

You're absolutely right! I looked further into the site and it has different sizing advice for the different girdles.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre, you'll love wearing girdles! I've just started wearing them myself, and absolutely love the 'feel' of it. Maybe it's just me, but my dresses look better on. And like Lizzie said in another post/thread..it does make you feel more 'solid':)

Rosie

One Too Many
I just purchased a cincher last night, now after reading what Bella wrote, I hope I bought the correct size. My mother says the correct way (for the hourglass or 50's look) is to wear it OVER the girdle :eek: she says this is the way she and her sisters did it. Has anyone ever done this? Sounds uncomfortable. She says it isn't so bad once you get used to it and she always marvels at the construction of modern undergarments which are no where next to as uncomfortable, hot, and stiff as the ones she had to wear wear.

I naturally and normally have a very solid hourglass figure but over the past year, with thyroid problems and laziness :eek: I've developed more of a column shape. Will this cincher work well enough to make me look "womanly" again?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Rosie said:
I just purchased a cincher last night, now after reading what Bella wrote, I hope I bought the correct size. My mother says the correct way (for the hourglass or 50's look) is to wear it OVER the girdle :eek: she says this is the way she and her sisters did it. Has anyone ever done this? Sounds uncomfortable. She says it isn't so bad once you get used to it and she always marvels at the construction of modern undergarments which are no where next to as uncomfortable, hot, and stiff as the ones she had to wear wear.

I naturally and normally have a very solid hourglass figure but over the past year, with thyroid problems and laziness :eek: I've developed more of a column shape. Will this cincher work well enough to make me look "womanly" again?

I have indeed worn a cincher over a long line all in one bra girdle panty thing....it gave an additional inch off in the waist from the all in one alone.....and was not really that much more uncomfy.

So yes....have done it....correct or not ....

ladyk

Familiar Face
Rosie said:

I wear my cincher under my girdle. Wearing it over makes it roll occasionally, and that doesn't look right at all. Although maybe thats just on me! It does work wonders though :eusa_clap Hooray for the wonders of not so modern underwear.

xxx

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jus curious on the undies thing

I thought Id add a question to this thread instead of starting a new one cause it does pretain to undergarments.

I was wondering if anyone here wore britches, bloomers, knickers, or pantiloons. I made a pair of cotton bloomers to wear with my knee length skirts instead of a slip and I love them! Any good place to buy em?

Thanks ladies.

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
ladyk said:
I wear my cincher under my girdle. Wearing it over makes it roll occasionally, and that doesn't look right at all. Although maybe thats just on me! It does work wonders though :eusa_clap Hooray for the wonders of not so modern underwear.

xxx

Thanks Lady K, I'll try both ways. That would make sense though since it would be over that silky gridle material.

Lady Day said:
I thought Id add a question to this thread instead of starting a new one cause it does pretain to undergarments.

I was wondering if anyone here wore britches, bloomers, knickers, or pantiloons. I made a pair of cotton bloomers to wear with my knee length skirts instead of a slip and I love them! Any good place to buy em?

Thanks ladies.

LD

I think these might be like those tap pants LizzieMaine was referring to before. Truthfully, I've only seen them in mail order catalogs, never in a store. Do you mean something like this: http://www.lbcatalog.com/lbcatalog/product/product.asp?pf_id=55118&dept_id=845&parent_id=&

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

magneto

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Yeah, those are the modern version of bloomers. I was looking and found this http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/lunder/ladiesunder.html

LD

They are nice! They sure stay in place more than a regular slip (which ride up a lot). If you do a search for "pettipants" as they are sometimes called you can find more sellers. The Vermontcountrystore.com has a "set" (camisole + the pants) in either cotton or nylon, with lace trim:
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...DUCT&iMainCat=55&iSubCat=250&iProductID=10035

But they do look like something even I could try to make myself!

Rosie

One Too Many
Those are cute. I asked my mom about these and she tells me again, "If I had known you would have been into all of this stuff, I would have saved all of your grandmother's things for you". My grandmother was a very stylish big woman (apparently *just* my size according to everyone who know her says) ah well.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
decodoll said:
It depends on what kind of cincher she got. If it's a corset with laces up the back then yes, 3-4 inches less than your waist measurement is right. If it's a Rago cincher or a girdle, then getting your waist measurement should be correct. Getting a stretchy rago cincher 3-4 inches too small would make it impossible to close and if you did manage it, very uncomfortable.

Yeah it isn't a corset, it's just a cincher. I wish I could find the rago line in a shop so I could try it on. I tried it on again last night and I think that the 26 would be too small actually. I think I just have a funny shape - with mine, when I put it on so the extra banding around the middle is in the middle, it gives me really bad "love handles", which look even worse if I bend my body in any way. And when I pull it down so the lower band is holding that part in, I get a smooth line, but a flat behind! I can't win! :(

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre--you would probably love Rago's all-in-one corsolette (#9357). I have one and it is my favorite; by design, it eliminates and odd bulges or rolls. It's also extremely comfortable and not as flattening as I have found other girdles to be.

Women also wore open-bottom girdles that came to just under the bust, when paired with a bra that hooked to the girdle, it achieved the same effect as an all-in-one.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Fleur De Guerre--you would probably love Rago's all-in-one corsolette (#9357). I have one and it is my favorite; by design, it eliminates and odd bulges or rolls. It's also extremely comfortable and not as flattening as I have found other girdles to be.

I have the 9357 and I LOVE it. It is very comfortable and it doesn't give you any unsightly bulges or rolls. lol

Dragonia

New in Town
I love corsets, especially full bodice. I guess I'm one of the few here. I've used both, but I have an hourglass shape and I enjoy the "hug" of the corset. I find it to have a better tummy hold (important for me because of my c-section scar and bit of baby fat I still have a tough time getting rid of).

As for vintage or cheap girdles, I used to get a bunch of mine at Goodwill or Salvation Army in the bins. I still have some vintage lingere I also bought there and it all seems to hold up, maybe better than anything new.

Anyone else for corsets?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
So, is corsets just for tucking in the tummy then? I saw a couple of sites online that sell them..they look great, but since I have my girdles..with nothing to tuck, wondering if it would just be a waste then?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
Those are cute. I asked my mom about these and she tells me again, "If I had known you would have been into all of this stuff, I would have saved all of your grandmother's things for you". My grandmother was a very stylish big woman (apparently *just* my size according to everyone who know her says) ah well.
My grandmother just did and said the same thing! except it wasn't girdles, it was pretty much all of her vintage clothes!:mad: and she was one stylin' woman! *sighs* ah well :)

Rosie

One Too Many
Dragonia, I love your avatar.

I wore a corset for my cousin's wedding and I looked FAB-U-LOUS, if I do say so myself ;) lol . It gives GREAT definition, an absolute hour glass shape however, it can get a bit uncomfortable, in my opinion, not something a girl would want to wear everyday. It's like those perfectly cute shoes we all have, that can only be worn to the car, from the car to the restaurant table and back from the table to the car again. Cute! But, not very practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui