PDA

View Full Version : Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

kamikat
11-12-2008, 03:14 AM
I started getting I Love Lucy DVDs from netflix and noticed something interesting. I don't think Ethel wears a girdle. In most of the scenes, you can see lumps and bumps. This seems very unusual. Anyone else noticed?

KittyT
11-12-2008, 08:30 AM
I've tried those Exquisite Form and Cross Your Heart bras and they just don't fit right! Have the same problem with those as with bullet bras - cut into my chest at the top of the cups, and have too much extra space in the tips of the cup:-/

KittyT
11-12-2008, 08:32 AM
I started getting I Love Lucy DVDs from netflix and noticed something interesting. I don't think Ethel wears a girdle. In most of the scenes, you can see lumps and bumps. This seems very unusual. Anyone else noticed?

I haven't noticed. Then again, Marilyn Monroe often didn't wear a girdle either - this is especially noticeable in "Some Like It Hot".

CherryRed
11-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Here is a cool link about this schtuff:

http://www.belladonnaeyes.co.uk/bra_fitting_part_01.htm

According to this guide I am wearing a bra too big. Thanks for posting it!!

goldwyn girl
11-12-2008, 10:16 AM
"Exquisite Form" is the brand they have at Sears:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/amelinab/formbra.jpg

I have not tried these yet...there appear to be a few styles. I am heading in there today...they don't look too bad for 14 bucks!

I must go to Sears, I had no idea they sold "Exquisite Form" this is why I love the lounge. I have been needing to replace mine for some time. Thank you!!!

Josephine
11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
No, I mean I had serious room left in the B cup..:)...the girls were swimming.....

Ah! I was reading the "fill" in your post as "fit". :)

Try this method of fitting before you go get "professionally" fitted. It will make a good comparison. Bra fitting instructions (http://josephinesgate.net/Bra2.html)

palespider
11-18-2008, 12:31 PM
hey ladies, i just got a new dress that needs some taming and someone pointed me here for some advice. Here is me in my dress:http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v37/palespider/?action=view&current=IMG_0992.jpg

can someone point me to the right kind of girdle that i would need to smooth out my lower stomach and upper thighs? I keep reading about Rago but soo many of them not sure which one to go with. I'm really soft in the middle and need a more define waist as you might be able to tell. Any advice would be great. thanks and sorry if you get too many of these.

Blondie
11-18-2008, 01:21 PM
I found this great website for stockings, pantyhose etc but it's a European site.

I love the "shade" panyhose with the bows

http://www.sneakyfox.dk/index.php

Is there a Fedora Lounge lady from Europe or Denmark that would buy these for me & post them, i would paypal you & would return the favour on something you may need from the USA ;)
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

Darhling
11-18-2008, 02:08 PM
I found this great website for stockings, pantyhose etc but it's a European site.

I love the "shade" panyhose with the bows

http://www.sneakyfox.dk/index.php

Is there a Fedora Lounge lady from Europe or Denmark that would buy these for me & post them, i would paypal you & would return the favour on something you may need from the USA ;)
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

I have those!! I love them, they turn into nude thin pantyhose on the top thigh to give the apperance of they are black stay ups. The top part (tummy & butt) turns into black hose again.

Here is pics of me wearing mine..

www.darhling.com (http://www.darhling.com/#post39)

KittyT
11-18-2008, 02:41 PM
can someone point me to the right kind of girdle that i would need to smooth out my lower stomach and upper thighs? I keep reading about Rago but soo many of them not sure which one to go with. I'm really soft in the middle and need a more define waist as you might be able to tell. Any advice would be great. thanks and sorry if you get too many of these.

Often this just comes down to a matter of personal preference! Looks like you need shaping all the way through the midsection, so i would go with a corselette or a full long-leg shaper that has cups included. The other option would be a high-waisted girdle that comes to just under your bust. And really weather you get an open bottom or a long leg one just depends on your personal preference and how much overall thigh shaping you want.

Blondie
11-18-2008, 02:44 PM
I have those!! I love them, they turn into nude thin pantyhose on the top thigh to give the apperance of they are black stay ups. The top part (tummy & butt) turns into black hose again.

Here is pics of me wearing mine..

www.darhling.com (http://www.darhling.com/#post39)

FABULOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HAVE to have a pair

RebeccaMUA
11-18-2008, 04:47 PM

I think it was because in "real life" Vivian Vance was quite close in age to Lucille Ball and (since they needed to make her look a good 10-15 years older for the show) they had her clothing tailored a little tight and I assume without the correct undergarments to make her look older and frumpy.

LizzieMaine
11-18-2008, 04:54 PM
I think it was because in "real life" Vivian Vance was quite close in age to Lucille Ball and (since they needed to make her look a good 10-15 years older for the show) they had her clothing tailored a little tight and I assume without the correct undergarments to make her look older and frumpy.

It was also in Miss Vance's contract that she had to remain at least 15 pounds overweight for as long as she appeared on the show, so as to increase the contrast with Lucy -- something emphasized by the lack of girdle!

Rachael
11-18-2008, 05:17 PM
I want a contract like that! Keep my job by eating pastries? Where do I sign?

Darhling
11-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Okay, for all the girls who are appleshaped like me and need their waist defined just short of a corset, I can STRONGLY recommend the rago cincher 21. I don't really have that much fat on my hips, it is all on my tummy, so I want defined waist - I got 2 sizes smaller than my actual waistsize so I was worried about if I could fit in it, but no problem. I really like that it only sucks in the waist (were I only need it) so I get a great hourglass shape.

GET IT!! And get it in a size smaller at least :D

palespider
11-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Okay, for all the girls who are appleshaped like me and need their waist defined just short of a corset, I can STRONGLY recommend the rago cincher 21. I don't really have that much fat on my hips, it is all on my tummy, so I want defined waist - I got 2 sizes smaller than my actual waistsize so I was worried about if I could fit in it, but no problem. I really like that it only sucks in the waist (were I only need it) so I get a great hourglass shape.

thank you so much for the personal feedback! i can't wait to get mine

TheRedHead
11-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Don't know maybe this should be a separate thread but I'm due a baby at the end of Jan and will be hoping to get my waist back as quickly as I can. Does any one know of a particular corset or girdle that would be good? Are there any problems if I end up having a c section as the baby is breech and huge apparently! thanks!

Lareesie Ladavi
11-20-2008, 11:35 PM
It was also in Miss Vance's contract that she had to remain at least 15 pounds overweight for as long as she appeared on the show, so as to increase the contrast with Lucy -- something emphasized by the lack of girdle!

I had read this also, in the Vivian Vance biography. Supossedly Lucille would call Viv during summer break, reminding Vivian that she needed to put on the pounds, before the new season. Lucialle didn't want Vivian to upstage her. They had a love/hate relationship with each other. It was rather interesting, but I digress.

Lareesie Ladavi
11-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Don't know maybe this should be a separate thread but I'm due a baby at the end of Jan and will be hoping to get my waist back as quickly as I can. Does any one know of a particular corset or girdle that would be good? Are there any problems if I end up having a c section as the baby is breech and huge apparently! thanks!

Miss Red, I can feel you. I had a C-section with my son. Don't worry, you'll do fine! I'll keep you in my thoughts. :)

AS far as the stomach thing goes, may I suggest a waist widdler/cincher. It has light boning, but works rather well. You just wrap it around and hook the bra hooks. I still use them, after my csection (and multiple surgeries...another story), 13 years ago. One day, I'll get a tummy tuck. :::sigh:::

Mrs. Merl
11-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Maybe this is too off topic, but do you think that waist cinching is counter productive to the muscular development in the abdomen?

KittyT
11-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Maybe this is too off topic, but do you think that waist cinching is counter productive to the muscular development in the abdomen?

That's a good point. I would tend to think that it shouldn't be a problem to wear tummy support as long as one remembers to exercise to focus on developing that area as well.

roots66
11-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Here's how (http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/oprahshow/20081024_tows_beauty/14) the Indonesian women handle it.

palespider
11-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Here's how (http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/oprahshow/20081024_tows_beauty/14) the Indonesian women handle it.

maybe im a wimp but ouches! :eek: never had a baby but i would think my tummy would be too sore to have ANY sort of presure put on it for a LONG time.

La Julia
11-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Interesting, has it come out already?

I will check online to see

Lareesie Ladavi
11-21-2008, 09:18 PM

Very good point!
I actually have scoliosis and arthritis in my back and I was talking to a therapist about it. The therapist are now thinking the back braces make the back/abs weak and more dependant on them. They are only good for patients that are young ( they are still growing and the brace can correct it) and for back patients that just under-went spinal surgery.

Anywho, I've had to work my back, chest and abdominal muscles to straighten my posture. They all play a role in back support. Unfortunately, they don't flatten loose skin.

As far as the cinchers, with mild boning goes, they just suck in the jelly roles, they don't do anything special for posture. It gives just sleeks the lumps and bumps. Personally, I only sport them when wearing a skirt or dress...hardly ever, these days.

Now, corsets...where to begin... They are just hot to dance in, on Saturday night. ;) hehe

TheRedHead
11-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi, Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions! I've been told that over here even though you are expected to work on the muscles when they're ready, many women also use some light control garments to help put pressure on things to contract back to normal. This is prob how I'll go for the first few weeks, thanks again

KittyT
11-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Anywho, I've had to work my back, chest and abdominal muscles to straighten my posture.

Have you tried yoga at all? It completely transformed my posture in a pretty short amount of time.

As far as the cinchers, with mild boning goes, they just suck in the jelly roles, they don't do anything special for posture. It gives just sleeks the lumps and bumps.

See, my experience has been different. I don't wear waist cinchers, but my posture did improve even when I just started wearing a panty girdle.

Mrs. Merl
11-25-2008, 09:11 AM
I can certainly second yoga - it is awesome for...well everything!! (I tell people it is like seeing a really gentle chiropractor - it takes a little longer but the benefits seem to last longer! And it doesn't cost a dime!)

And I can also recommend weight lifting - it has been like a miracle for my back!

Mrs. Merl
11-25-2008, 09:13 AM
And if you do all that - then the undergarments can be there just to give you the right structure under your vintage looks - life is good!!

Caity Lynn
11-28-2008, 05:11 PM
I just purchased a corset (not as sturdy as I hoped, but not lingerie either) it's LOVELY, I don't think I'll ever actually wear it under day clothes, but It's adorable (gold with black lace/trim) It's great.unfortunately it just barely fits, if I lose ANY weight (even a pound) it'll be slipping off :( (darn weird hips, makes it difficult to take measurements) I bought it off ebay: I think the sellers Id was something like luvsecretlingerie.I'd definitely recommend them!!!

MissAmelina
11-28-2008, 06:05 PM
I just purchased a corset (not as sturdy as I hoped, but not lingerie either) it's LOVELY, I don't think I'll ever actually wear it under day clothes, but It's adorable (gold with black lace/trim) It's great.unfortunately it just barely fits, if I lose ANY weight (even a pound) it'll be slipping off :(

Sweet! You can eat more cookies! :)

Caity Lynn
11-28-2008, 07:36 PM
lol, true, but I just started a new diet...I'm about 30 pounds OVER weight. :rage: *Sigh* life's full of sticky situations isn't it.[huh] :rolleyes:

Lareesie Ladavi
12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Have you tried yoga at all? It completely transformed my posture in a pretty short amount of time.

See, my experience has been different. I don't wear waist cinchers, but my posture did improve even when I just started wearing a panty girdle.

Kitty T,
When I first started therapy, I did nothing, but yoga. It was great! I didn't realize the small movements can be the most difficult and painful. I need to do it again, it got me to where I am. I do a lot of strength/resistance training now. My husband was sweet enough to buy me a sleep number bed...what a difference!

The cincher thing may make my lower posture straighter (I never really paid much attention, actually)...I'm thinking of my upper/shoulder area(where my noticeable probalem is). I have developed sway back, I think, from wearing heels for years. I just started wearing creepers to work, and my back has been so formed by the heels, that when I wear flats, I get a pinch nerve in my lumbar area...kinda scarey.

Lareesie Ladavi
12-02-2008, 04:18 PM
I can certainly second yoga - it is awesome for...well everything!! (I tell people it is like seeing a really gentle chiropractor - it takes a little longer but the benefits seem to last longer! And it doesn't cost a dime!)

And I can also recommend weight lifting - it has been like a miracle for my back!

Mrs. Merl,
Restistance with weight machines is what I'm doing now. I'm proud to say, I pull 95 lbs, on the row machine! LOL
My posture is sooo much better!

Mrs. Merl
12-02-2008, 04:24 PM
:D :eusa_clap :) That is spectacular!! When we used to go to the gym rowing kicked my back side!

Mrs. Merl
12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
So does anyone have any current favorites for pretty underthings? I don't really need much in the way of controlling under garments - but I love pretty under things and I would love to have more vintage looking unders - but have pretty much no luck when searching for items of this nature. Some of the things I had seen previously are gone - so whats currently available out there?

KittyT
12-03-2008, 07:41 AM
So does anyone have any current favorites for pretty underthings? I don't really need much in the way of controlling under garments - but I love pretty under things and I would love to have more vintage looking unders - but have pretty much no luck when searching for items of this nature. Some of the things I had seen previously are gone - so whats currently available out there?

My current favorites are the nylon undies, especially the so-sexy sheer ones! They aren't always the healthiest thing to wear, but they feel wonderful and luxurious, and are quite lovely. Some can be a bit pricey, but they are worth it! I love the ones from Secrets in Lace - and while some of their items are quite expensive, they do have some affordable nylon undies. I've also recently found http://www.satinroseintimates.com/, where you can find a large range of lovely, vintage-style underthings, including tap pants and pettipants :-)

http://www.satinroseintimates.com/images/TE/TE308pink.jpg

This style is almost exactly like a pair I got from Secrets in Lace, but for $4.50 instead of $15 or so... these also resemble many of the vintage Vanity Fair panties you can find on Ebay.
http://www.satinroseintimates.com/images/DB/DB1232fuchsia.jpg

Mrs. Merl
12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Thank you for the link. I am checking it out right now!

Goldfish
12-12-2008, 09:22 AM
If I want to permanently shape the area between my navel and hip bone, your know, where love handles usually are :rolleyes:, what are my options? At the beginning of this thread someone said you can only do this by wearing corsets, on the other hand I have read (somewhere in this thread) that women in the past had a shaped body because they wore shapeware almost 24/7!

Can well-made shapewear like Rago mold that area, too? I think that's the only area where I need some shaping to have a silhouette suitable for the New Look era (let's talk about bras later....). There might be better options to get the most accurate look (yes I read through the whole girdlezone.org site), but I would love to "enter the girdle world" little by little and start with a garter belt or short panty girdle - what would you recommend for starters?
The Rago 72522 garter belt has caught my eye, what do you think?

Tallulah
12-16-2008, 08:31 PM

That is exactly what I need. I am apple shaped as well. Am ordering now and will let you know. Thank you! :)

exquisitebones
12-16-2008, 11:26 PM
My current favorites are the nylon undies, especially the so-sexy sheer ones! They aren't always the healthiest thing to wear, but they feel wonderful and luxurious, and are quite lovely. Some can be a bit pricey, but they are worth it! I love the ones from Secrets in Lace - and while some of their items are quite expensive, they do have some affordable nylon undies. I've also recently found http://www.satinroseintimates.com/, where you can find a large range of lovely, vintage-style underthings, including tap pants and pettipants :-)

http://www.satinroseintimates.com/images/DB/DB1232fuchsia.jpg

why not healthy? forgive my ignorance.

Try as I might, I love vintage clothes, but I cant get into the undies.
I want to like them, and I LOVE the bras.. but the undies, riding that high, is sucha bother.
I guess Its wired into my brain from growing up in the low rise generation...

my husband hates them too ,so I am embarrassed to wear them [huh]
But I really want to be into it. lol

newtovintage
12-17-2008, 01:14 AM
Do any of you ladies make your own lingerie, ie, bras and tap pants? I have seen several vintage patterns that are for lingerie and I wondered if anyone has ever tried making their own. I have looked on ebay at the lingerie they have there, but I can't get past what my mother has drilled into me: NEVER wear someone else's used underpants. So I thought maybe I could make my own, but wanted some feedback on how difficult it is and what methods are best. Any thoughts?
Sarah

Laura Chase
12-17-2008, 02:33 AM
KittyT, I agree, Secrets in Lace have wonderful panties!

My favorites, though, because it's become so expensive to order from the US, are these from What Katie Did (http://www.whatkatiedid.com/):

http://www.whatkatiedid.com/images/products/blackout.french.ct.jpg

I hadn't looked at their site for a while, and I just saw they have a wonderful bullet bra with sheer cups, the Cabaret 1940s Bra, I would post the picture if I could, but there is visible nudity. I think I shall have to order one right now!

kamikat
12-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Do any of you ladies make your own lingerie, ie, bras and tap pants? I have seen several vintage patterns that are for lingerie and I wondered if anyone has ever tried making their own. I have looked on ebay at the lingerie they have there, but I can't get past what my mother has drilled into me: NEVER wear someone else's used underpants. So I thought maybe I could make my own, but wanted some feedback on how difficult it is and what methods are best. Any thoughts?
Sarah
I have made my own bras before. The hardest thing about bra making is the fitting. It took me 3 attempts in a bra class to get the fit just right. But once the fit of your pattern is right, bras take about 1-2hrs to make from cutting to finishing. They are not difficult to make at all. All you really need is a regular machine that can zigzag. A 3 step zigzag is nice and looks more RTW, but not required. You don't need a serger. http://www.sewsassy.com/ is where I get all my fabrics and notions and she carries all the Kwiksew and Stretch and Sew patterns.

KittyT
12-17-2008, 08:04 AM
My favorites, though, because it's become so expensive to order from the US

Yeah, What Katie Did is nice, but I refuse to order from them. Even without shipping, it's just way overpriced.

I hadn't looked at their site for a while, and I just saw they have a wonderful bullet bra with sheer cups, the Cabaret 1940s Bra, I would post the picture if I could, but there is visible nudity. I think I shall have to order one right now!

Well I tell ya what, Secrets in Lace has a sheer bullet bra for $36, which is cheaper than the WKD one and looks exactly the same. Although WKD might be cheaper for you given the shipping.

But anyway, that's what really bugs me about WKD - a lot of their items look exactly like items that I can get elsewhere for a lot less! Of course, right now, the Pound is waaaay down against the dollar, so it might not be a bad time!

Laura Chase
12-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I agree WKD is expensive, it's just one of the few places in Europe that offer that sort of lingerie. For me it can often get just as expensive to order from the US because unfortunately it's not just the shipping, I have to pay 25-30% sales tax too when ordering from outside the EU. :( It sucks.

Before shipping got more expensive and before they got this strict on the sales tax (earlier many more packages that were under $100 passed through without tax being added) I used to love ordering from Secrets in Lace and Girdlebound. Thanks for the tip about the bra from SiL, I'll check it out, maybe it's still cheaper, everything considered.

Miss_Bella_Hell
12-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Try as I might, I love vintage clothes, but I cant get into the undies.
I want to like them, and I LOVE the bras.. but the undies, riding that high, is sucha bother.
I guess Its wired into my brain from growing up in the low rise generation...

my husband hates them too ,so I am embarrassed to wear them [huh]
But I really want to be into it. lol

I tend to wear thongs under my girdles, even though that's not period correct. Period correct was wearing the granny panties over the girdle, or tap pants.
I don't like to wear high waisted panties unless I have good reason to, and so far I haven't found many! lol

KittyT
12-17-2008, 08:34 AM
I tend to wear thongs under my girdles, even though that's not period correct. Period correct was wearing the granny panties over the girdle, or tap pants.

I do the same thing, but only because I don't like hiking my girdle up high enough to be able to wear something over it.

I don't like to wear high waisted panties unless I have good reason to, and so far I haven't found many! lol

I love wearing high-waisted panties. I find that you end up with fewer visible lines when the waistbands of everything you're wearing fall at the same place. I like that high waisted panties almost always have a full rear, which I HAVE to have. If it's not a thong, I don't want it up my bum, thankyouverymuch. I also think they look better on (I mean, if someone else is seeing them) because they fall at the smallest part of your waist, which is extremely flattering.

KittyT
12-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I agree WKD is expensive, it's just one of the few places in Europe that offer that sort of lingerie. For me it can often get just as expensive to order from the US because unfortunately it's not just the shipping, I have to pay 25-30% sales tax too when ordering from outside the EU. :( It sucks.

Before shipping got more expensive and before they got this strict on the sales tax (earlier many more packages that were under $100 passed through without tax being added) I used to love ordering from Secrets in Lace and Girdlebound. Thanks for the tip about the bra from SiL, I'll check it out, maybe it's still cheaper, everything considered.

Is the tax added on at the time of check out, or do you have to pay it upon the item's arrival? What about the option of having a US Lounger purchase it for you and ship it as a "gift"?

KittyT
12-17-2008, 08:38 AM
why not healthy? forgive my ignorance.

Because nylon doesn't breathe and it doesn't absorb moisture the same way that cotton does. This can contribute to yeast infections.

That said, I'm very prone to those because of my diabetes and have not had any additional problems since I started buying nylon panties. I think the key is just to not wear them every day.

Mrs. Merl
12-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I can't find a good reason to wear a thong on a regular basis...[huh]

Miss_Bella_Hell
12-17-2008, 08:47 AM
They do bother some people. Me, I can't feel them at all.

Miss_Bella_Hell
12-17-2008, 08:50 AM
I love wearing high-waisted panties. I find that you end up with fewer visible lines when the waistbands of everything you're wearing fall at the same place. I like that high waisted panties almost always have a full rear, which I HAVE to have. If it's not a thong, I don't want it up my bum, thankyouverymuch. I also think they look better on (I mean, if someone else is seeing them) because they fall at the smallest part of your waist, which is extremely flattering.

I actually have thongs that go to the waist, and I often wear those with high waisted skirts and dresses. All the high waisted panties I've worn have leg elastic that tends to rub the tops off my thighs if worn long enough.

kamikat
12-17-2008, 08:54 AM

Here's a good reason: when you wear at-the-waist or high-waisted trousers, the elastic waistband of your low-rise panties makes a ridge in the middle of your tummy. Maybe this doesn't happen with slimmer ladies or ladies that haven't had babies, but it looks awful when it happens!

KittyT
12-17-2008, 08:55 AM

The #1 reason: no VPL!!!

There are some that are very comfortable and a lot that aren't. It's just a matter of finding the right ones.

Mrs. Merl
12-17-2008, 08:56 AM
I typically choose not to wear thongs for hygienic reasons actually.

KittyT
12-17-2008, 09:13 AM
The one big thing about the sheer nylon panties - they just aren't durable and run and tear easily. I have one pair from SiL that I happen to be wearing today and put a huge run in :-( Not sure how, probably one of the metal adjusters on my garter belt. And SiL no longer sells this style. BOO.

Miss_Bella_Hell
12-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Here's a good reason: when you wear at-the-waist or high-waisted trousers, the elastic waistband of your low-rise panties makes a ridge in the middle of your tummy. Maybe this doesn't happen with slimmer ladies or ladies that haven't had babies, but it looks awful when it happens!

Oh yes, it happens! That's the reason I don't like boy shorts, either. There's a ridge across the bum! I should say though, I don't tend to wear low-rise thongs unless I'm wearing low-rise clothing, which is rare. I find that the sides of a thong can easily be adjusted up or down depending on your needs, and if something is high waisted and flat across the front like a pant, it's just a matter of getting something with a little more coverage, like this: http://www.barenecessities.com/product.asp?pf_id=Elita1200&source=nextag&term=Elita1200&cm_mmc=NXTG-_-Panty-_-Elita1200-_-NA

Miss_Bella_Hell
12-17-2008, 09:29 AM
I typically choose not to wear thongs for hygienic reasons actually.

Interesting! Not sure what you mean, but I haven't noticed any problems so far, and it's been...well, about 10 years! lol

KittyT
12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Interesting! Not sure what you mean, but I haven't noticed any problems so far, and it's been...well, about 10 years! lol

I've actually heard about this. The thong part can act like a wick for bacteria from your rear. Sorry, not sure how else to put that :-/

Mrs. Merl
12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
I will not go into details. But, thongs touch portions of our anatomy that regular underwear do not regularly. If you have a great deal of trouble with UTIs and such a doctor may even recommend a change of wardrobe (so if no problems then well you must be good to go.)

Mrs. Merl
12-17-2008, 09:40 AM
KittyT - you beat me to it but yeah - that is what I meant.

exquisitebones
12-17-2008, 09:57 AM
yeah, I dont really wear thongs.. I am not into that.

I wear regular low rise VS "no panty line" undies and dont really have a problem with them showing.
not that i have noticed. I will be checking now though./ lol

Lareesie Ladavi
12-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Fredericks of Hollywood have thongs just for pany lines and they are fricken comfortable. I only wear their panties because they don't have elsatic.
I would try the Bridget thong (favorite!) or the Fantasy thong. Seriously check them out! Women of all shapes and sizes would buy these by the truck loads! They don't cut into your leg and you can't feel them rub in those unmentionable areas. ;)

http://www.fredericks.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Holiday2002&category%5Fname=Thongs&product%5Fid=53311

http://www.fredericks.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Holiday2002&category%5Fname=Thongs&product%5Fid=53168

Lareesie Ladavi
12-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I will not go into details. But, thongs touch portions of our anatomy that regular underwear do not regularly. If you have a great deal of trouble with UTIs and such a doctor may even recommend a change of wardrobe (so if no problems then well you must be good to go.)

Mrs. Merl,

I suffer from cronic UTIs and I figure it's from thongs, as well (Cranberry pills are my friend).
They really are nasty, when you think about them. I wear them for my husband, but I've been considering a change for my health.

KittyT
12-17-2008, 11:01 AM
I would try the Bridget thong (favorite!) or the Fantasy thong. Seriously check them out!

The Bridget thong is very similar to the Hanky Panky thong, which is the #1 best selling thong of all time :-)

Lareesie Ladavi
12-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah...the Hanky is like 18 0r 20 bucks a pair...Panties better come with a warranty or guaranty a good time. hehe! ;)

Shoot, 5 bucks is a lot for panties. I miss my Fredericks discount. I need bras, but they'll have to wait until after x-mas. I think it's wrong to charge so much for under garments, especially bras. You pay for quality too.

Vintage Verve
12-17-2008, 09:38 PM
I have purchased a waist cincher from WKD to wear under selected dresses:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x128/TooManyShoes/WKD.jpg

As a curvy gal (AU 14) I know that it will help me define my waist a little better. It should hopefully arrive from the UK early in the new year.

Miss_Bella_Hell
12-18-2008, 02:36 AM
Ah I see! That makes sense. So far I've had no problems and I hate regular undies so until I start having problems I'm not gonna change! :D

As a curvy gal (AU 14) I know that it will help me define my waist a little better. It should hopefully arrive from the UK early in the new year.

Gorgeous! Tell us how it works out!

Cleery
12-18-2008, 05:15 PM
I agree! That waist cincher is very pretty. And I could stand the cinching!

Vintage Verve
12-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Gorgeous! Tell us how it works out!

Will do - I promise.

Tallulah
12-25-2008, 09:17 AM
You're absolutely right! I looked further into the site and it has different sizing advice for the different girdles.

Well, I learned this too late. :o . I am in the process of returning the item, and having to get it a good bit larger *cough*. And just in time for all the Holiday binging I have been doing! LOL!

mentha
12-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Hello Ladies,

I'm new here and after reading a great part of this thread, I've decided I definitely need a piece of shaping underwear. I'm not really big, but a bit 'soft on the sides', so to speak. I feel quite lumpy when wearing fitted clothes, so I don't wear them anymore, though I really love them.
So I've looked around and chosen the Rago 1298 step-in. I think that would be a prefect solution for me. Now, for the size. According the the chart (based on centimeters!), I need a size 80: waist=79cm, hips= 107cm (did I really just put my measurements in writing??? yikes!) - I seem to fit perfectly into the chart, as shown here (http://www.mioki-lingerie.nl/maten.asp) (Dutch link).
So far, so easy? Nope. I've started to workout a bit again here and there, and will definitely be picking up my running in spring, when the weather clears up and the air doesn't hurt my lungs anymore. From previous experience, the running definitely takes off centimeters (experience also shows that stopping will surely put them all back on...), if I really get at it, maybe even inches! So it seems it would be a waste to spend about 65 euros on something that will probably not fit anymore in under a year (yes, I have big dreams for myself ;)). Is it worth buying a size smaller? Will I have any chance of fitting into it now? It's just my tummy and rear end that are squishy, the rest is pretty okay (if I may say so myself)...

Help?

kamikat
12-29-2008, 04:32 PM
The smaller size might be uncomfortable, but will fit. I have a Rago 6206 that is 2 sizes smaller than my current waist. It's too uncomfortable for dailywear, but for special occasions, when I need to look my best, I can wear it with a long line bra. Without the long line bra, it creates lumps at the waistband. Hope that helps!

Miss 1929
12-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Better smaller! I agree with Kamikat, if you're not wearing it daily then having it be tight is not so bad. I also get the lumps, and a waist cincher (or long line) over it is a great thing.
I tried the Rago all in one, but either I bought it far too small accidentally or they fit very small. I didn't like the cups at all. But I love the idea of a one piece lace foundation garment...smooth.

Goldfish
12-29-2008, 08:00 PM
If I want to permanently shape the area between my navel and hip bone, your know, where love handles usually are :rolleyes:, what are my options? At the beginning of this thread someone said you can only do this by wearing corsets, on the other hand I have read (somewhere in this thread) that women in the past had a shaped body because they wore shapeware almost 24/7!

Can well-made shapewear like Rago mold that area, too? I think that's the only area where I need some shaping to have a silhouette suitable for the New Look era (let's talk about bras later....). There might be better options to get the most accurate look (yes I read through the whole girdlezone.org site), but I would love to "enter the girdle world" little by little and start with a garter belt or short panty girdle - what would you recommend for starters?
The Rago 72522 garter belt has caught my eye, what do you think?
(no, that's not me!)
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/cf/e/AAAAAobkbewAAAAAAM_lhA.jpg

Noone?

KittyT
12-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Noone?

Shapewear cannot permanently shape your body or reduce inches. For that, I think everyone here would recommend exercise :-) But shapewear IS great as an affordable and comfortable alternative for taking off inches (sometimes, and also depending on the garment) and smoothing lines.

The Rago garter belts may help smooth your line a little bit but it won't give you any size reduction. I would recommend a regular panty or open bottomed girdle.

mentha
12-30-2008, 04:29 AM
Well, that settles it, I'm going for 1 size smaller :) And I'll have a look for a vintage-style bra to go along, just to finish off the look :)

Thanks Ladies!

Joie DeVive
12-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Victoria's Secret is having their semi-annual sale right now. They are clearing out some stuff that has a retro feel. There are some pieces that resemble full-body long-line shapers with garters. Those have the look though not the muscle. There are also some teddies and chemises with a retro feel.

Not on sale, there are some longer garter belts made to resemble the look of open bottom girdles and matching bras and panties/thongs. (Again more the look, not the quality.) And lastly for you 1920-philes, there is a silver/grey teddy with a rather dropped waist that has that 20s feel (to me anyway).

Happy shopping!

nico demouse
12-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Victoria's Secret is having their semi-annual sale right now. They are clearing out some stuff that has a retro feel. There are some pieces that resemble full-body long-line shapers with garters. Those have the look though not the muscle. There are also some teddies and chemises with a retro feel.

Not on sale, there are some longer garter belts made to resemble the look of open bottom girdles and matching bras and panties/thongs. (Again more the look, not the quality.) And lastly for you 1920-philes, there is a silver/grey teddy with a rather dropped waist that has that 20s feel (to me anyway).

Happy shopping!

Do you happen to know if the sale is in stores as well?

Joie DeVive
12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Do you happen to know if the sale is in stores as well?

Oh yes, the sale is in-store too. That's where I saw all those items... ;)

mentha
01-06-2009, 06:16 AM
I just ordered my first shaper and bullet-bra :D I can't wait to get them and try them on! The shaper is a black Rago 1294 step-in and the bra is a WKD Maitresse-bullet bra. I do hope everything fits though, as it's always a bit of a gamble when ordering online. I usually go to the store and try things on.
Now all I need is a load of stockings, but I'll get them next week ;)

mentha
01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, my bullet bra and step-in shaper have arrived and I love them! The bra is slightly big around my chest, but I can fix that myself :) I also have a teeny bit of room left in the bullet-points, but that's not something I worry about. Yes, I could excange it for a smaller size, but I fear the side part of the cups would be too small then, so i'll do with this. It's not like I'll be wearing it daily ;)
The shaper is amazing! It's a long step-in, so it starts just below my breasts. No more lumpy waist or floppy belly!!! I felt incredibly comfortable and pretty trying it on :) I can actually imagine myself wearing something like this daily... If I had the wardrobe to match that is ;)

Now for the stockings, to complete the foundations :)

Laura Chase
01-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I just found a shop called Dollhouse Bettie (http://www.dollhousebettie.com) and they have darling underthings! I wanted to hear if any of you ladies have ordered things for them? If so, what did you get and were you happy with it?

goldwyn girl
01-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I just found a shop called Dollhouse Bettie (http://www.dollhousebettie.com) and they have darling underthings! I wanted to hear if any of you ladies have ordered things for them? If so, what did you get and were you happy with it?

I have some panties from them, the satin ones were fine and wear well but the sheers came to pieces very quickly.

xitsvivx
01-10-2009, 10:11 PM
how does one kinda conceal the metal garter clasps of your girdle/cincher/corset?
i mean... like when wearing skirts or dresses with garters and stockings, how do you hide or minimize the garters? ive found that they show up like lil buttons or bumps through clothing.
slips? something? just no wearing tight clothing???
i really want to wear seamed Stockings with some of my dresses, but I just cant get the garters to not show so much. i think it looks tacky when they do.

JupitersDarling
01-11-2009, 01:40 AM
how does one kinda conceal the metal garter clasps of your girdle/cincher/corset?
i mean... like when wearing skirts or dresses with garters and stockings, how do you hide or minimize the garters? ive found that they show up like lil buttons or bumps through clothing.
slips? something? just no wearing tight clothing???
i really want to wear seamed Stockings with some of my dresses, but I just cant get the garters to not show so much. i think it looks tacky when they do.
My understanding was that garter tab "shadow" was common and not given much thought of (like bra straps today), at least when wiggle skirts were in style. Does your belt have ribbons over the clips? Those can make the clips even more visible- just cut 'em off!

To really minimize the bumps, yeah, avoid the pencil skirts. Slips can help some. If you are set on having the wiggle ;) , you can also try shortening the straps and/or arranging the garter clips so they angle away from the skirt surface. Oh, also bumps under dark colored clothing would probably be less visible...

KittyT
01-11-2009, 11:09 AM
[...]

Wear a good, heavy slip. Otherwise, you're out of luck. It doesn't look tacky and is totally authentic.

KittyT
01-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Anyone know where I can find a repro bra in that lovely vintage peach color? WKD had one that I love and they had a major sale posted yesterday. I went to order today and it was gone :-( It was that lovely sheer Harlow bra. That's the exact color I'm looking for, but i don't want a bullet style!

mentha
01-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Well, here's an embarrassing question for ya: what to do when you're wearing your step-in and you need to go to the ladies room??? Seems like a challenge, or is a step-in one of those things you don't wear undies under? Hope not, for that seems, well... kinda drafty... ;)

I have this one: http://www.dollhousebettie.com/girdles/364-high-waist-zipper-girdle.html
She doesn't seem to be wearing anything under it, but that may as well be cosmetic for the photo shoot ;)

PS
01-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Mentha,
Has it arrived yet? I go sans with piece like that. I know it doesn't seem like it but once you sit to use the restroom, its really not in the way. You will have some stage fright but you should be ok.

LizzieMaine
01-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Well, here's an embarrassing question for ya: what to do when you're wearing your step-in and you need to go to the ladies room??? Seems like a challenge, or is a step-in one of those things you don't wear undies under? Hope not, for that seems, well... kinda drafty... ;)

I have this one: http://www.dollhousebettie.com/girdles/364-high-waist-zipper-girdle.html
She doesn't seem to be wearing anything under it, but that may as well be cosmetic for the photo shoot ;)

I wear loose-fitting tap pants over mine -- that was the common approach during the Era. The idea of wearing underpants *under* the girdle is primarily for modesty in catalog shoots and such.

mentha
01-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Thank you for your responses ladies!
I think I'll go with LizzieMaine's approach. No panties in my Victorian bloomers, no problem (many, many layers of long skirts and such), but (though I'm really comfy with myself and definitely not pruedish) I'd rather have a bit more coverup in more 'current' era-wear ;)

Lillemor
01-22-2009, 03:50 AM
From my very little experience, wearing the tap pants/knickers over both looks and feels better.

I regret skimping on my first garter/stocking purchases. I wasn't sure it was for me but the modern, soft plastic fasteners aren't that easy to attach to the stockings. Mine are only a little better than the cheap, purely "aestetic" lingerie types. I think harder metal ones would've been easier to maneuvre under and over the stockings and snap, if that makes sense.....So now I've learnt that!

How long is it supposed to take for a practiced person to put their garter and stockings on?:o

mentha
01-22-2009, 04:21 AM
Another good question :) I do wonder if I'll ever speed up with my step-in. I have to put in on over my head (big hips... taking it off is easier, then it does go south... weird) and that's not something you want to do in front of a significant other, for it's sure to be a horrible sight, haha!

PS
01-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Try rolling your step in up before you but it on, that way its not a push and pull fiasco. So you roll the top down to the bottom, step in, pull it up to where you want it and then un roll. Much faster.

Sometimes I get my garters on no problem then other days it take what feels like ages. So who knows?[huh]

mentha
01-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi PS, you think it'd work? I have already thought of doing just that, because I can get it off easily by rolling it downwards, just haven't tried it out yet ;)

KittyT
01-22-2009, 07:49 PM

This question is answered many times over in this thread. Some gals wear tap pants over (which really only works if you pull your OB girdle high up over your waist). Some of us find that it's easiest to just wear thongs and pull them to the side.

SassyLindaB
01-22-2009, 09:46 PM
oooh I love corsets!!!, I own 2 steel boned waspies and one Victorian, I love the underbust type the best and wear one nearly every day as outerwear, over a shirt or blouse.

http://www.galleryserpentine.com.au/
This link is where I purchase mine from

Lillemor
01-22-2009, 11:34 PM
I must have two left arms and ten thumbs. I struggle with the back "fasteners" when I try to attach the stockings.

KittyT
01-23-2009, 07:41 AM
I must have two left arms and ten thumbs. I struggle with the back "fasteners" when I try to attach the stockings.

Are you attaching the back first?

exquisitebones
01-23-2009, 10:07 AM
i havea modern garter, in no means vintage.. is it harder to attach vintage ones?

I can attach all my garters to my stockings in no time. i have never had a problem with it taking too long. is it hard with vintage ones?

KittyT
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
i havea modern garter, in no means vintage.. is it harder to attach vintage ones?

I can attach all my garters to my stockings in no time. i have never had a problem with it taking too long. is it hard with vintage ones?

It's not really a question of new vs vintage. If it's a new one with plastic grips, it's going to be difficult. Vintage or not, with metal grips it's much easier.

exquisitebones
01-23-2009, 11:02 AM
oh weird. Mine are plastic grips and I just put them on. its really easy for me?
Ok, so I guess I wont worry when i do make the jump to a vintage garter.
thanks.

Caity Lynn
01-25-2009, 09:24 AM
a random question...I love back seam stockings, and really want to wear a pair to Prom this year. (I couldn't find them for homecoming :( ) I'd rather get a pair of Back seamed pantyhose, to eliminate accidents that could happen on the dance floor.I'd rather NOT be running for the bathroom to fix my stockings. If I can't find pantyhose, I"ll have to get stockings, which I think means one of those belt things that hook the the stockings? (I'm not quite up on what's called what) but I know Hot Topic has them for cheap, has anyone bought Hottopic's stuff? how does it work?

Laura Chase
01-25-2009, 09:32 AM
If you want to avoid accidents, don't get one of those hip belt things (https://media.redcatsnordic.com/ellos/images/products/normal/ells_1057/ells_1057637_M.jpg). In my experience, they slide down, and are nothing but bedroom-wear. You want something sturdy, something that grips your hips and goes up to your waist, something like this:

http://www.whatkatiedid.com/images/products/glamour.longlinebragirdle.tn.jpg

http://www.whatkatiedid.com/images/products/girdle.powermeshzip.tn_1.jpg

Inky
01-25-2009, 09:46 AM
a random question...I love back seam stockings, and really want to wear a pair to Prom this year. (I couldn't find them for homecoming :( ) I'd rather get a pair of Back seamed pantyhose, to eliminate accidents that could happen on the dance floor.I'd rather NOT be running for the bathroom to fix my stockings. If I can't find pantyhose, I"ll have to get stockings, which I think means one of those belt things that hook the the stockings? (I'm not quite up on what's called what) but I know Hot Topic has them for cheap, has anyone bought Hottopic's stuff? how does it work?

I don't like garters and all that business either, so I got some seamed cuban heel pantyhose from foottraffic.com. They weren't cheap, but they have held up over three wearings so far (and that's to go swing dancing). They have both nude (http://foottraffic.com/page2096.html) and black (http://foottraffic.com/page1896.html) available. And even though they call them "tights," they are pantyhose weight, not a heavy opaque weight.

KittyT
01-25-2009, 11:22 AM

Victoria's Secret. They're a little on the pricy side, but I have found them to be very durable and run-resistant.

mentha
01-25-2009, 01:45 PM
How about a pair of stay-up stockings? Far from authentic, but really easy ;) I don't know if they're widespread in the US, but having had a look around her in Holland, they're about the only kind with seams I can find in the stores here. Either that, or order online ;)

Lareesie Ladavi
01-25-2009, 01:48 PM
It's not really a question of new vs vintage. If it's a new one with plastic grips, it's going to be difficult. Vintage or not, with metal grips it's much easier.

Agreed. It is very hard to find metal garter belts, in stores. I have one and they are a lot simpler than plastic...they are made better too.

Thigh highs are a bit more difficult to attach than nylons. The thicker the fabric, the bigger the pain in the butt. Sometimes I have to attach then below the band.

Lareesie Ladavi
01-25-2009, 01:53 PM

I use to work with someone that would attach the garter belt and nylons first, than put them on. I haven't tried it. It maybe easier with back seams because you can see where to attach them. Thigh highs seem more difficult to eyeball where to attach. I've been meaning to try it myself.

JupitersDarling
01-25-2009, 02:33 PM
I use to work with someone that would attach the garter belt and nylons first, than put them on. I haven't tried it. It maybe easier with back seams because you can see where to attach them. Thigh highs seem more difficult to eyeball where to attach. I've been meaning to try it myself.
I don't quite get what you mean by "where to attach." On the welt? I would think it'd be easier just to pull them on, then attach, because the nylon stretches and changes shape once on, so you might have to move the clips anyway.

Also with seams, that method seems (hah) like it'd actually be harder to get them straight. I dunno. Try it and see.

Lareesie Ladavi
01-25-2009, 03:39 PM
I don't quite get what you mean by "where to attach." On the welt? I would think it'd be easier just to pull them on, then attach, because the nylon stretches and changes shape once on, so you might have to move the clips anyway.

Also with seams, that method seems (hah) like it'd actually be harder to get them straight. I dunno. Try it and see.

That's what I meant. A lot of decorative thigh highs (unless there's a bow, then you'll know where the back one attaches) have to be straighted out, unless you don't mind the seam being sideways under foot. Why I haven't tried it. ;)
Back seams seem to be easier to eyeball first.

Miss_Bella_Hell
01-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Ladies, the Secrets in Lace "Lace Overlay Bullet Bra" is on sale for $28. It's a lovely sheer bra with lace overlay on the cups. I just bought two! :)

KittyT
01-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Ladies, the Secrets in Lace "Lace Overlay Bullet Bra" is on sale for $28. It's a lovely sheer bra with lace overlay on the cups. I just bought two! :)

I also just bought two! They also have a lovely new line of products called the Bettie Page line. They're really, really pretty. The Bettie pinup pantie is gorgeous, although I found an Ebay seller who has the same style for almost 1/2 the cost. Also, the SiL sheer nylon panties (the plain ones) are fantastic, but $10. You can get pretty much the same thing for almost half the price from www.lingerieoutlet.com.

imoldfashioned
02-05-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure where to post this query but this looked like the best place.

I just got a bright navy--almost middle blue-- skirt from the 40's that I will need to wear with a slip. Would you wear a black one or a white one? Or do you think it doesn't matter?

kamikat
02-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm not sure where to post this query but this looked like the best place.

I just got a bright navy--almost middle blue-- skirt from the 40's that I will need to wear with a slip. Would you wear a black one or a white one? Or do you think it doesn't matter?
Wear a black one. Some times a white undergarment will show through on darker garments.

imoldfashioned
02-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks Kamikat--I knew one of you ladies would be able to point me in the proper direction.

PS
02-12-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www2.victoriassecret.com/images/prodpri2/V281781.jpg
http://www2.victoriassecret.com/images/prodpri2/V281748_W359ARGB.jpg

These two bras are by VS. Which, do not cut it for me. But I am loving that style. I love the idea of it come down a little longer and having a wide band around back. Has anyone seen anything like this elsewhere? I'd consider purchasing if these would even fit.

Lareesie Ladavi
02-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I also just bought two! They also have a lovely new line of products called the Bettie Page line. They're really, really pretty. The Bettie pinup pantie is gorgeous, although I found an Ebay seller who has the same style for almost 1/2 the cost. Also, the SiL sheer nylon panties (the plain ones) are fantastic, but $10. You can get pretty much the same thing for almost half the price from www.lingerieoutlet.com.

Funny, you mention that. I was in Vegas, a few weeks ago, and I happened upon the Betty Page store. I didn't know it existed. Cute stuff! It was loaded with all of her clothing. There was a few things I liked, but a lot of it was a bit too over-the-top for me.

Audrey Horne
02-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Boo, the smallest size is a C! Lovely though...

KittyT
02-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Boo, the smallest size is a C! Lovely though...

Audrey, what size are you? I have 2 in 34B that just don't fit me right. I was going to return them but haven't yet....

Audrey Horne
02-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Audrey, what size are you? I have 2 in 34B that just don't fit me right. I was going to return them but haven't yet....
34A :( Thanks though!

Classydame
02-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Also, the SiL sheer nylon panties (the plain ones) are fantastic, but $10. You can get pretty much the same thing for almost half the price from www.lingerieoutlet.com

Thank you KittyT for the website! I love the full panties by SIL but they are expensive and these are definitely more affordable.:)

Mrs. Merl
02-13-2009, 11:17 AM
It really disheartens me how hard it is to find small bra sizes. I have not looked too extensively, but I don't find my size very often. Not even in stores. *Sigh*

maybelaughter
02-13-2009, 11:45 AM
it is definitely not fun trying to find small bras.... especially when you're picky like me and only buy ones with front clasps, and no extra padding/pushupness. it's frustrating when most AA/A cups have all that extra junk, because i'm fine with me size and i don't want to "enhance" my chest.

i just discovered last night that they make bras in AA sizes (AAA too!) i love the halfsizes offered by playtex, too. littlewomen.com goes down to a 28AA, uk based, though... and i found a longline bra on ebay that is a 36AA so we'll see how that fits when it comes in (that's the size the internet thinks i might be -i though i was 34? i'm confused with the number-sizing, auctually. why go up 4 inches?).

goldwyn girl
02-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Kitty T, have you ordered from lingerie outlet ? What is the quality and service like ? Thanks :)

KittyT
02-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Kitty T, have you ordered from lingerie outlet ? What is the quality and service like ? Thanks :)

I have. When I called one of their stores, the gal I spoke with was very helpful. However, I did not receive a tracking number. They did ship quickly, but I have to return to exchange for a different size and there was no return info shipped with my items, so now I have to call again to figure that out.

EDIT: nevermind, there's a number for returns on their website. You just have to call to get a return authorization.

kamikat
02-13-2009, 02:01 PM
It really disheartens me how hard it is to find small bra sizes. I have not looked too extensively, but I don't find my size very often. Not even in stores. *Sigh*
Have you tried http://www.figleaves.com? They don't carry vintage garments, but they start at 28AA. I buy all my bras from them and have been VERY happy with the customer service. I don't know about their smaller bras, but their larger bras are great, very high end.

Mrs. Merl
02-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Thank you for the link - I am looking at it and it looks promising!

kamikat
02-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Has anyone tried the Kymaro New Body shaper? It looks like a version of Spanx, which I like better for everyday wear over a girdle.
http://www.ubuyez.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31
http://www.ubuyez.com/images/NBS_Box_Top.jpg

Inky
02-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Has anyone tried the Kymaro New Body shaper? It looks like a version of Spanx, which I like better for everyday wear over a girdle.
http://www.ubuyez.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31
http://www.ubuyez.com/images/NBS_Box_Top.jpg

I almost bought one of those myself after seeing the infomercial, but I did some review searching and enough complaints about it not to get it.

here's where I did my reading: http://www.viewpoints.com/Kymaro-Body-Shaper-reviews

I have two pair of the high waist Spanx and find them very comfortable, and they do not roll down (or up at the thigh). I wear them when we go dancing, so they get quite a workout.

kamikat
02-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Another great place for hard to find bras is Belle Lingerie on eBay. Can I link to an eBay store? They sell the high end British brands like Freya, Panache, Fantasie at 50% of the price of US retailers. They're sizes go from 32AA to 42D and most of the smaller band sizes up to J cup. http://www.belle-lingerie.co.uk/ is their UK site.

goldwyn girl
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
I have. When I called one of their stores, the gal I spoke with was very helpful. However, I did not receive a tracking number. They did ship quickly, but I have to return to exchange for a different size and there was no return info shipped with my items, so now I have to call again to figure that out.

EDIT: nevermind, there's a number for returns on their website. You just have to call to get a return authorization.

Thank you KittyT

Vintage Verve
02-17-2009, 11:10 PM

Sorry for the delay, I promised to tell you how this cincher worked out.

I really like it. It is of very high quality and it certainly defines my waistline more (up to four inches). I'm kind of sorry I didn't buy it in a size smaller as I have lost a bit of weight since Christmas!! Oh well, might give me extra incentive to lose more and buy another ;)

It's reasonably comfortable, and I only say reasonably as I am still getting used to it. I got caught out yesterday (didn't have time to go home and get changed after work before going out to dinner) and ended up wearing it for just over 14 hours. :eusa_doh: I was feeling uncomfortable towards the end of the night, but it certainly wasn't painfull and I have no residual discomfort today - although I am not wearing it today. I've worn it for on average four to six hours at a time and I have found it fine.

I would happily buy from What Katie Did again.

Miss Dottie
02-18-2009, 11:04 PM

I really like it. It is of very high quality and it certainly defines my waistline more (up to four inches). I'm kind of sorry I didn't buy it in a size smaller as I have lost a bit of weight since Christmas!! Oh well, might give me extra incentive to lose more and buy another ;)

It's reasonably comfortable, and I only say reasonably as I am still getting used to it. I got caught out yesterday (didn't have time to go home and get changed after work before going out to dinner) and ended up wearing it for just over 14 hours. :eusa_doh: I was feeling uncomfortable towards the end of the night, but it certainly wasn't painfull and I have no residual discomfort today - although I am not wearing it today. I've worn it for on average four to six hours at a time and I have found it fine.

Thanks for the update on the waist cincher. I was thinking about one of these post baby since I'd like to use it a bit more for waist training. We'll see.

Miss_Bella_Hell
03-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Um...has WKD only just started showing nipple or have I only just noticed it?

Fleur De Guerre
03-02-2009, 09:23 AM
They don't just show nipple now, the new model is quite au naturel as well!

Miss_Bella_Hell
03-02-2009, 09:35 AM
They don't just show nipple now, the new model is quite au naturel as well!

lol I think that's a bit more than a landing strip isn't it!

maybelaughter
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
i need some shapewear advice...
i previously owned nothing more than a pair of control-top tights, but after reading through this thread (and admitting to myself that i've gone a bit soft since i stopped working and went to school full-time), i've been thinking about purchasing some other type of shapewear.
i need a garter belt badly - one that can hold up thigh high socks as well as stockings (TH socks are my new best friend, as thicker tights always seems to end up around my knees and become awkward to walk in at that point...), and also provides a bit of control for wearing with slimmer skirts. i think there's a rago product that was recommended on here, but now i can't find the one i thought i wanted online!

i've also been looking at the rago waist cincher 21, and nipper 821, and am trying to decide between the two. i have a longline bra (not my favorite, but i've only found the one in a 36 AA - if anyone sees one in this size that closes in the front (is this possible in a longline?) let me know!), so i'm not worried about back-roll between a cincher/HWgirdle and bra. i am worried about my ribs... i bought a cheap cincher at W*M, the sort that's elastic with some light boning, and it (the boning) pokes out in little mountains over my ribs.... not good! do the Rago products do this? my ribs do stick out a bit, i've auctually caught them on the top of a chair when i was at my slimmest...
i have a waist of 29" (but wear dresses with a 27/28" waist, so maybe i'm not measuring right? or maybe i just squish well...), and hips of 41/2" (5 inches down from there, my thighs have the same measurement.... is that normal?) , as well as prominent ribs and rather um, squishy thighs... (picked up some of those 'bike short' things, and i love them! why hadn't i known of these before!) anyway, which would be better to get my stomach smaller, without protruding oddly at the rib area? (perhaps magically shrinking that spot as well? - i thought seriously of tightlacing for about 15 minutes when i read it made your ribcage smaller in the underbust area - but it's not for me)

i mainly want something to wear with slim skirts/pencil skirts, to smoothe things out. i've always been afraid to wear things like that, but i'm becoming couragous now.... would a high waisted long leg thing do the trick better? all of the shaperwear i tried on at the dept. store like this made huge bumps on my thighs, and hurt a bit... so i thought i'd try the waist nipper/cincher on it's own, and i'm hoping rago will be better that that sad thing i have now...

sorry, i ramble! any advice would be appreciated!

Lillemor
03-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Regarding functional (not just "decorative") garterbelts; I regret that I bought modern functional ones because those clasps or fasteners are of plastic and not metal. So I worry that, that little detail might shorten the life of the garterbelt. I don't know if there's a way to buy metal fasteners for replacements?

Sorry, I don't have any experience with cinchers because none of my fitted tops or dresses are THAT fitted.

Miss_Bella_Hell
03-03-2009, 05:44 AM
i bought a cheap cincher at W*M, the sort that's elastic with some light boning, and it (the boning) pokes out in little mountains over my ribs.... not good! do the Rago products do this?

In my experience, they do not do this. Only cheaper ones do.

LizzieMaine
03-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Regarding functional (not just "decorative") garterbelts; I regret that I bought modern functional ones because those clasps or fasteners are of plastic and not metal. So I worry that, that little detail might shorten the life of the garterbelt. I don't know if there's a way to buy metal fasteners for replacements?

Sorry, I don't have any experience with cinchers because none of my fitted tops or dresses are THAT fitted.

You used to be able to find metal garter clips on the notions rack at fabric stores, but last time I checked they're all plastic now. Probably the best option is to salvage clips from worn-out girdles -- I've done this, and the only caveat is that sometimes the button part of the clip will separate from the rest of the tab. The glue holding it in place will give out when you least expect it, and if you don't lose it completely you have to super-glue it back in place. The modern clips have the advantage of having the button part molded in one with the back of the tab, so at least that's one advantage.

Up until fairly recently, the "functional" garter belts sold by J. C. Penney under the "Adonna" brand still had metal clips -- the last one I bought, around 2002, did. I haven't seen these in the stores lately, though, so it might be worth searching EBay for them. They're very durable and reasonably inexpensive.

Heather
03-03-2009, 06:46 AM
I bought a garter belt at Macy's last December with metal tabs. I believe the brand is "Jezebel". I have yet to wear it but planning on wearing dresses as much as possible this summer! HTH!

Miss_Bella_Hell
03-03-2009, 08:25 AM
You can buy metal replacement garter clips online very inexpensively. Try this link: http://www.stockingshowcase.com/detail.asp?product_id=T800

$ally
03-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Funny, I've been looking into this myself. I like Spanx and Assets at department (and some discount) stores. Also, a friend and I now try the bridal shops for foundation building.
Where have I been? When did designers start calling merry widow a torsolette? Now they have these seamless long-line foam bras with no boning. I'm going to have to buy one because it looks so much better under satin.

KittyT
03-11-2009, 08:29 AM
You can buy metal replacement garter clips online very inexpensively. Try this link: http://www.stockingshowcase.com/detail.asp?product_id=T800

You can also buy them at alexis4u.com and at sewsassy.com, which has a lot of traditional lingerie fabrics and notions.

Heather
03-12-2009, 07:10 AM
I have a flexee's waist cincher that I bought after having my second daughter (she's now 2years old). I've since lost all my baby weight so it no longer fits me. The only problem I had with it, was the front would bulge out when I'd sit down. Other than that, I liked the support it gave. I'm seriously considering spending some of our tax refund money on a corset. I don't want to tightlace but would like to do waist training to add some more definition to my waist (would also give me more options for vintage clothing since what fits me in the bust, is too small in the waist). I'm also considering getting another waist cincher but rago's version. Thoughts?

PS
03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Get a rago. once you compare it to the flexees you'll see that flexees has no business calling that belly band a "waist cincher". big difference. huge.

Lareesie Ladavi
03-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I have a flexees and I like it quite a bit. I think it's hard to get around some of the bulging without the heavy boning that comes from corsetry. Even corsets have to be heavily boned, so they won't create rools. I think event he thinnest beanpoles have the same probs without the right corset.
I need a new cincher...Any Rago model that anyonme would recommend?
The ones I've seen I wasn't too impressed by, (but ehh they're control cinchers, they suck anyhow). One Prago cincher looks very simular to the Flexees and the 21 model (retro inspired) seems to sit very low on the hip, so it would create indentaions.
I honestly don't like any nipper/cincher because you can see the the boning and closure hooks through form-fitted clothing. Ehh the hell with it, I'm getting a tummy tuck! lol

Heather
03-12-2009, 02:46 PM
you can see the the boning and closure hooks through form-fitted clothing.

Oh my gosh, yes! It might not be as much of a problem if I wore a slip but I don't have as much opportunity for wearing dresses or skirts as I like. :(

Miss_Bella_Hell
03-12-2009, 03:27 PM
The boning just tends to look like part of the dress, but the closure hooks problem should be solved with hooks that are covered with a zip. Fairly certain Rago makes these, usually with hooks and zip on the side.

Heather
03-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Looking at a marlene padded bustier with a front zipper on ebay. I remember the avatar but not the name of the member who recommended the maker!

Heather
03-15-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm looking at the Rago 821. Trying to figure out the size chart my waist is 27-28 and my hips are 34, should I get the extra small, small or medium?[huh] I emailed them yesterday but still waiting for a reply. Yes, I'm impatient! :p Also, would you guys recommend wearing over it if I were to wear it with pants or a dress?

PS
03-22-2009, 05:53 PM
http://www.belle-lingerie.co.uk/clientassets/images/productstyles/55.jpg

Kami pointed us in the direction of belle-lingerie.co.uk for discounted prices on great European brands and friendlier prices than here in the US.
I picked up this set from Freya, the Retro Basic peices. I have been wearing the same bra for the past few years, you know the only one that fits just right...well even after buying a new one, it wasn't fitting just right anymore. AND I NEVER would buy a bra without trying it on but I knew what I wanted. A bra with wider bands on the side, something would lift me, no lace, and sturdier straps. Why do American brands have such wimpy straps even in larger sizes?
I have to say I am in love with this bra. LOVE! I have soft breast tissue (thanks kids!) and when i try on bras, find that some bras almost create a fold in my breast because there is no real lift or support but this bra lifts, separates and creates a shape. I LOVE IT! THANKS KAMI and Belle Lingerie!

Laughing Magpie
03-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi ladies, I'm popping out of radio silence to ask a couple questions about elastic garters - not suspenders or a garter belt, but the sort worn around the thigh or upper calf.

I associate rolled elastic garters (the kind that look like hair elastics) with the 1920s and they were around as late as the 1960s though they fell out of common use in the early 1930s. For the fashion history buffs amongst us, does that sound right? When did we start to use garter belts?

The fancy decorative elastic garters that I think of 'flappers' wearing, were they really strong enough to hold up a stocking? Or did they wear a plain rolled elastic one underneath with the fancy one for show?

In the 1920s, was it more common to wear the garters just below or just above the knee?

Were the fancy ones from the 1920s actually fabric sewn around a flat elastic band (like the sort we have in waist bands now)? I don't think of elastic being used in clothing from that era. Maybe other materials were used, like bias strips or pieces of rubber or something? Did they close with buttons or were they stretched over the foot and pulled up the leg?

So many questions :) - I'm asking because I think it wouldn't be hard to make some of these garters, and I'd like to start with historically accurate ideas about construction.

Many thanks,
Jen

Medvssa
03-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I cannot help you with most of these questions, but I do know when garter belts were introduced. Well, actually, first an elastic was attached to the front bottom edge of the corsets as early as the 1890's, and sometimes to the sides too. Before that, only garters were used.

I've also seen some garter belt style of contraptions (really just a belt with the elastics attached to it) to be worn over the corset, but those were apparently not common.

Garters attached to the corset would have interfered when the petticoats were worn under the corset, like during the 1870's and 1880's when the desired figure was very slim and fitted to the waist, and the legs on the front and sides. Undesired bulk on the waist area was avoided by wearing all petticoats underneath the relatively (to the 50's) longline corsets.

Mojito
03-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Hallo Jen -

Garter belts do predate the 20s, and were used in that decade as well. There were also garter straps attached to girdles.

Stockings were most commonly rolled to just below the knee, but could also be rolled to above it.

Here they are rolled to the typical length:

http://pro.corbis.com/images/IH179726.jpg?size=67&uid=%7B71B3DFF1-BB6F-41D6-BBB8-E4B554C36855%7D

Bare knees enabled one to indulge in that other 1920s fad - rouging the knee! Some decorative garters even came with a rouge puff attached for that purpose.

The fancy ones from the twenties - with flapper faces, ribbon flowers etc - were decorative garters and not strong enough to hold up stockings. They were elasticated, much like modern ones. You'll find that all of them have now lost their elasticity!

Laura Chase
03-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Mojito, where do you get your 20's underthings? For the rolled-stocking look, aren't you supposed to just wear soft silk step-ins and nothing "supportive"? But I guess the young ladies who didn't have the desired figure still wore something to flatten their chest? Please do tell us about 20's lingerie! ;)

Mojito
03-24-2009, 12:53 AM
I cheat, Laura! I wear modern or repro foundation garments for the most part (although I will wear some 1920s slips and teddies, but preferably with as little original fabric next to the skin as possible). I have a few compression camis to flatten my bust which can be worn with either a bodysuit type garment or a Rago 1294 which slims out the hips and is a fair approximation of a 20s style girdle/garter combo. Of course, it depends on the style of garment I'm wearing it with...and where I am in my up-down weight cycle (which usually depends on how many miles I'm running at the time).

You could just wear a "dance set" with rolled stockings - brassiere and step-ins - and I imagine that this would have been a popular choice, particularly for the more nubile young women, but you could also wear more substantive undergarments, including a corset or girdle. That was one of the things that made folks look askance at flappers - they were rumoured, among other things, to check their corsets in cloakrooms when they went out dancing.

Btw - for those who haven't checked out Paul's site (http://www.inspiration-from-vintage.info/silk.htm) with its section on stockings, I recommend they do so! He has great images that relate the history of hosiery.

SuperKawaiiMama
03-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Btw - for those who haven't checked out Paul's site (http://www.inspiration-from-vintage.info/silk.htm) with its section on stockings, I recommend they do so! He has great images that relate the history of hosiery.

Thanks for the recommendation. That is a seriously excellent resource there and few well researched.

Heather
03-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Still haven't heard back from the rago representative. :mad: My waist is 27-28 and my hips are 34, should I get the small or medium waist nipper? Thanks!

Miss_Bella_Hell
03-24-2009, 04:55 AM
Still haven't heard back from the rago representative. :mad: My waist is 27-28 and my hips are 34, should I get the small or medium waist nipper? Thanks!

Not sure if this helps, but I'd fit it to your waist since that's what you want to nip!

ClaraB
03-24-2009, 05:44 AM
I love this thread, what interesting information on the 20's- rouging the knee, I had no idea!

It is time for a new garter belt but I have decided to go with an open bottom girdle instead. Has anyone tried the rago 1361 side zip open bottom girdle, this (http://www.girdlebound.com/store/graphics/00000001/1361_BLACK_FRONT.jpg)?
I like the idea of the obg, as I hope it will smooth some unsightly lower abdomen bumps, but I am worried it will ride up or not keep my stockings properly.
With these underpinnings I have such a dilemma because my hips are HUGE (39) in comparison with my waist (25). sigh.

Laughing Magpie
03-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Excellent - thanks so much, especially for the link to Paul's site, it's very helpful!

I was still curious what the elastic, stretchy bits in the early 20th century were made from. The elastic you'd use today for suspenders in a garter belt, for example, would tend to be blends of polyester with spandex or rubber. Rubber would have been around, but the other two wouldn't.

I started to look for blends with cotton instead of synthetics and that led me to websites about elastic manufacturing like this one:
http://www.hnwelastic.com/products.htm

In addition to finding that cotton/rubber elastics are still made (which is also nice information to have if you ever want to easily dye an elastic) I found that a term used for what looks like the "rolled" elastics is "shock cord" or bungee cord (just like the tent pole cord used to mimic the rolled elastics on Paul's site). And even though most shock cords now also use synthetics that wouldn't have been available, they can be made with a rubber core and cotton covering.

I remember the first time I saw rolled elastic garters in "action" was in the 1933 film "Footlight Parade", Joan Blondell put some on (she wore hers with sheer stockings, mid-thigh, by the way). If I had a figure like hers I wouldn't hide it away in a girdle either! ;)

vampygirl13
03-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Just wanted to pop in and say how much I love reading this thread! I have learned so much!

Where are you fave online places to get seamed stockings with a bit of stretch? As much as I love real stockings, they just dont' stay up on me without a bit of stretch.

stockingsstore.com has a lot to choose from, has anyone ever ordered from there?

palespider
03-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Just wondering if anyone had any personal reviews about the 9357 Rago, is it more for looks or does it actually have support? Run true to size, have alot of streach? ect ect. thanks ladies

chanteuseCarey
03-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Some one mentioned yesterday about the Playtex 18 hr bra. I looked up there website last night and found that a couple of my local stores carry it. I normally wear in my french bra (from Nordstrom, the best fitting bra for my shape unfortunately is an expensive bra- sigh...) a 34DDD, but in the Playtex the closest that fit well is a 36DD. I'm aiming for a vintage 40's pinup look bra, so I bought Playtex style#4693.

Whoa nellie, its a whole different shape in this puppy! Interesting... I also got a Flexees all in one piece thing that you wear over a bra. Seems to fit well.

Miss RM
03-28-2009, 07:29 AM
I swear by Playtex style #4693! The first time I tried one on, I looked like I instantly lost 10 pounds! The fit is so much more flattering than most modern bras. The only problem I have with them is that it's tricky to wear any of my wider neck summer shirts ... the straps or the top of the cups will show. I swear those bras cover half your torso :-)

Inky
03-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Thank you so much chanteuseCarey and MissRM for mentioning the Playtex style number. A while back Kamikat had suggested the Playtex bras for me to get a better silhouette under my 40's sweaters, but I hadn't ventured out to find one yet and wasn't sure what style would work. I'm going to go check these out today and found a local store that carries them.

thanks!

Miss RM
03-28-2009, 08:31 AM
You're welcome! I hope the style works for you!

exquisitebones
03-28-2009, 02:23 PM
is it just me, or do open bottom girdles only come in 26"waist and bigger?

I am a 25-26"waist, and I am afraid that the thing will be to big, I dont need a girdle per se, but I wanted to get one instead of just a garter belt (those things fall off all the time. lame)

anyway, any tips on what I should get for minial support,le?? but the high waisted-ness of a girdle??

get_atomized
03-28-2009, 05:17 PM

I agree, I have found some trouble finding firm open bottom girdles in smaller sizes. I think it is easier to find panty girdles with garter clips in smaller sizes online, especially vintage ones. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places

Lareesie Ladavi
03-29-2009, 01:25 PM

I am a 25-26"waist, and I am afraid that the thing will be to big, I dont need a girdle per se, but I wanted to get one instead of just a garter belt (those things fall off all the time. lame)

anyway, any tips on what I should get for minial support,le?? but the high waisted-ness of a girdle??

I run about a 26-27 ( The inch flunctuates depending on the holidays, and how quick I lose it). I need the support because of multiple abdominal surgeries that have left my stomach looking like, well, sh!t (for lack of a better word).
Personally, I go into stores and try them on. I believe my Flexies is a small and it's snug (no garters). It's perfect for what I need.

BegintheBeguine
03-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I wear the medium and I'm bigger than you. Go for the small! :D

maggiethespy
03-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Has anyone who is not quite so endowed in the bust department worn the Playtex #4693? I'm a 36B and I just don't know how that would look on me-- if it would even fit properly.

Can anyone direct me to some reasonably priced vintage-look bras for the less-busty sweater girl?

Inky
03-29-2009, 05:26 PM
maggiethespy, I picked up two Playtex 4693 bras yesterday at my local outlet store - they were having a buy two get one free deal, I couldn't pass it up ;) I was able to try it on and had them fit me to make sure it was the proper size (I wear a 38DD).

I was really surprised at the amount of support the bra gives. After years of wearing bras for a more "natural" and soft look, this really gave me a vintage bust!

I wore it last night swing dancing and it was VERY comfortable and the best part was no straps sliding down! It is definitely an "industrial strength" bra!

Heather
03-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks BegintheBeguine! Love your sn, btw! :D

chanteuseCarey
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
And that this brassiere passed the dance test! I am also pleasantly surprised at the comfort and support level. Nice to get a "break" from underwire, and I always have strap fall down with one or more of my bras too.

maggiethespy, I picked up two Playtex 4693 bras yesterday at my local outlet store - they were having a buy two get one free deal, I couldn't pass it up ;) I was able to try it on and had them fit me to make sure it was the proper size (I wear a 38DD).

I was really surprised at the amount of support the bra gives. After years of wearing bras for a more "natural" and soft look, this really gave me a vintage bust!

I wore it last night swing dancing and it was VERY comfortable and the best part was no straps sliding down! It is definitely an "industrial strength" bra!

chanteuseCarey
03-29-2009, 11:51 PM
After reading a post mentioning Flexees as an alternative to a girdle- I got one at Kohl's. Its the light support all-in-one, with legs that hit mid thigh and the top part in the front goes under the breasts and around the sides of your brassierre. Its very light compared to the Rago Shapette, and no show through even in a knit (see pics below). It puts the girls out there as its got 'em held in well with that side support construction.

I took pics with my wearing my modern style brassierre and a pair of pantyhose as there are no garters to wear stockings. I bought a size Large as its based on hip size. Every body part is held pretty securely and controlled in this. I like the lean line I got even with the pantyhose underneath. I saw little to virtually no ridge/demarcation line at the waist from the pantyhose.

I found this foundation garment very easy and comfortable to wear with ONE key exception to note: The waist to shoulder length is a bit short for me, I'm long waisted but only 5'3-1/2" tall. It dug into my very rounded shoulders but not horrendously so. Even though the fit is very good otherwise I'm going to go back to the store and compare the overall length laying the garment flat of a Large compared to an XLarge.

Overall, I would recommend this as a good alternative to the girdle, and great to wear when you have on pantyhose (such as the popular cuban heel seamed pantyhose) as opposed to stockings. This could be good with pantyhose to wear for swing dancing especially.

Since I can't post the pics of just my wearing only the foundation pieces here on FL, I also took pics of my adding a knit close fitting dance dress over it. These give a pretty good idea of the fit and shaping. I also have pic of it worn under a modern street wear outfit (Ralph Lauren) comprised of a knit camisole and knit top.

Hope this information is helpful!

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL988/3409603/21762929/359851297.jpghttp://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL988/3409603/21762929/359872663.jpghttp://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL988/3409603/21762929/359852133.jpg

chanteuseCarey
03-30-2009, 06:12 PM
I hope you get a reply here sweetie. I used to be a 36B! That was B.C. or B Cup, or Before Children. I gained a cup size with each child (like my mother and sister did too) , and then with being heavier than I should be. Man, I would love to be a 36B again...

Has anyone who is not quite so endowed in the bust department worn the Playtex #4693? I'm a 36B and I just don't know how that would look on me-- if it would even fit properly.

Can anyone direct me to some reasonably priced vintage-look bras for the less-busty sweater girl?

Heather
03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I wear the medium and I'm bigger than you. Go for the small! :D

If you dont' mind me asking, what are your measurements? I'm just a little worried about not being able to fasten it up.

Lillemor
03-31-2009, 06:21 AM
I wrote a lot of e-mails today. I forgot one of them was to my dad and I wrote a long list to him of vintage stuff I plan to buy...over a lifetime;) I mentioned foundation garments among other things.:o Strictly speaking, is it wrong to call anything that doesn't hold something up and in a foundation garment? Can I say I was thinking about crinolines, half slips and slips or are they not considered foundation garments?

There's no way I'm going to tell him that I'm looking for authentic looking retro garters, bullet bras, pads, etc.:eek:

I feel so stupid!:o

chanteuseCarey
03-31-2009, 07:36 AM
I may be wrong here -but I consider anything that is under the "clothes", ie. worn underneath the dress or pants/skirt and shirt, or suit would be under the broad category of foundations. I think of foundations to be synonymous with undergarments. All these items are creating the silhouette or "body line" which supports the clothes to be worn over.

If this is NOT correct, other FLers please correct me! BTW, do not feel stupid- cuz' you're not! All questions are valid, there are no stupid questions. I've learned so much from reading posts here... in part that's why I'm here. This vintage thing is a whole new ballgame and so different that what many of us used to wearing, this is a learning curve... Hey, I'm even liking wearing a girdle now and a vintage style brassierre- whodathunkit...

Strictly speaking, is it wrong to call anything that doesn't hold something up and in a foundation garment? Can I say I was thinking about crinolines, half slips and slips or are they not considered foundation garments?

There's no way I'm going to tell him that I'm looking for authentic looking retro garters, bullet bras, pads, etc.:eek:

I feel so stupid!:o

exquisitebones
03-31-2009, 02:52 PM
I hope I am not double posting this. so forgive if someone already has
but this place has really good prices on 50s style sheer undies :)
http://www.pleasingpanties.com/nancy_king.htm

BlancheDubois
04-01-2009, 05:13 AM

You might try one of the Playtex Cross Your Heart styles. I like style # 15140 from
http://www.onehanesplace.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prnbr=15140&cgnbr=1021000000

Playtex bras are on sale for only $14.99 through April 5 at
www.onehanesplace.com

ClaraB
04-01-2009, 03:30 PM
I know Girdlebound (http://www.girdlebound.com) has already been recommended several times here but I just wanted to add my own endorsement :) . I ordered from the girdlebound website on Sunday night and I received my order in the mail today. I am very pleased with their service and the quality of the products I received from them. I ordered both the Rago 1361 obg and some fully fashioned seamed stockings. Both are wonderful.

pennyseranade
04-01-2009, 05:05 PM

I'm a 34Cish (too big for a B, but don't completely fill a C), so I have also been searching through "old lady bras" to find a seamed bra that gives the uplift and pointy nature of a vintage bra. I found this gem at JCPenney. It fits like my vintage bras and is available in smaller sizes. Oh yeah...it's on sale for $14.99

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=50475&CatID=51849&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=161f382&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=50475%7c51093&Fltr=BRD%3aEquals%3aunderscore&Srt=&QL=F&IND=4&CmCatId=50475|51093|51849

goldwyn girl
04-02-2009, 09:07 AM
You might try one of the Playtex Cross Your Heart styles. I like style # 15140 from
http://www.onehanesplace.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prnbr=15140&cgnbr=1021000000

Playtex bras are on sale for only $14.99 through April 5 at
www.onehanesplace.com

I have two of these and I'm very pleased with them

CherryKrissy
04-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I know Girdlebound (http://www.girdlebound.com) has already been recommended several times here but I just wanted to add my own endorsement :) . I ordered from the girdlebound website on Sunday night and I received my order in the mail today. I am very pleased with their service and the quality of the products I received from them. I ordered both the Rago 1361 obg and some fully fashioned seamed stockings. Both are wonderful.

Thanks for the review ClaraB! I`ll be ordering from them in a few weeks, and I`m glad to know there service is still great.

Heather
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I recieved my Rago 821 today and I'm now completely sold on Rago products! :eusa_clap I don't think I'll ever use anything else. I'll admit, I was skeptical at first but I'm so glad I took the chance. This thing is amazing!! Its definitely better than flexees. It gives me the shape I've been searching for!! Takes me in 3 inches! :eek:

kamikat
04-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Has anyone tried Elila #1305. From the picture, it looks similar to the Playtex bra, but comes in a wider cup range, up to M (!!!), but is a bit pricier than the Playtex bra.
http://breakoutbras.stores.yahoo.net/jafususobyel.html

LynnLaBlanc
04-04-2009, 05:39 AM
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it already, but Timeless Trends is an excellent place to buy corsets.
They are all $99 for genuine, steel-boned corsets, which is nothing compared to upwards of $200 in other places...
http://www.timeless-trends.com/index.htm

I have two and I couldn't be happier.

BegintheBeguine
04-04-2009, 12:54 PM
If you dont' mind me asking, what are your measurements? I'm just a little worried about not being able to fasten it up.
Not at all!
I was gonna type the usual 38-30-38 then I decided to get out the tape measure and they're 39-30-39. How'd that happen? :D My Rago 21 "Shapette" in size 28 fits perfectly and my absolute favorite girdle of all time Rago 1294 is a little large in size 30 so that's what I based my size recommendation for you on.
Thanks for the review of the 821, it sounds fab.

Ashley

SweetieStarr
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I think this is the right place for this question.

I read in some other threads (I can't remember which) that you need to wear vintage style undergarments to look right in vintage style clothing. Is this correct? If so, can someone please explain further?

Also, is a waist cincher sort of the same as girdle, or would something like Spanx be a more modern "girdle?"

Thanks!

MissKrystal
04-08-2009, 06:52 PM
I agree with those who have ordered off of Girdlebound.com, I ordered the Rago Open Bottom girdle, with the soft cup inserts, dyed in their Wine color. It arrived 2 weeks later, which is fantastic, considering I live in Canada. I am very pleased with it, and as I understand the sizing was by your current bra size. I purchased the girdle mainly to streamline my shape under skirts and dresses, and love the garters attached at the bottom. I wear an underbust corset underneath it, and I found it didn't have any excess fabric around the waist, as I do tight-lacing. I agree with buying a high quality, steel or whale boned corset, it may seem a bit steep, but it is worth every penny if you intend to wear it with most of your garments. I have most of my garments tailored by a seamstress in town here to fit my waist when it is tight laced, it does make all the difference in the world, and is not as costly as one would think, between 10-20 dollars if you are just taking it in at the waist. It really is all about personal aesthetic though, I believe in enhancing what you have, not hiding it. I enjoy the exaggerated hourglass shape, it works with my natural body type.

MissKrystal
04-08-2009, 07:05 PM

I read in some other threads (I can't remember which) that you need to wear vintage style undergarments to look right in vintage style clothing. Is this correct? If so, can someone please explain further?

Also, is a waist cincher sort of the same as girdle, or would something like Spanx be a more modern "girdle?"

Thanks!

Sweetie Starr I would agree that vintage, or vintage repro does look better when paired with the proper vintage undergarments, due to the measurements and the cut of the clothing. I am not a wearer of vintage repro, but I have looked at the size charts on sites such as mybabyjo.com, daddyos.com, and pinupgirlclothing, and most of their dresses seem to be more forgiving in the waist to hip ratio. I could be wrong, but that is just an observation I've had. Also, as I understand, feminine shapes and good posture were ideal decades past, and seem to have depreciated over the years. A corset will force you to have proper posture, and the right undergarments will help you avoid bumps and bulges, which overall gives you a more proper and lady like appearance I find. Waist cinchers are a bit different than girdles as they have boning in them, and modern girdles tend to rely on stretch fabrics to compress your shape. I've never worn Spanx, but it would seem that they work as a girdle to smooth, and emphasize your curves slightly without the discomfort some find with a cincher.

StaceFace
04-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Not at all!
I was gonna type the usual 38-30-38 then I decided to get out the tape measure and they're 39-30-39. How'd that happen? :D My Rago 21 "Shapette" in size 28 fits perfectly and my absolute favorite girdle of all time Rago 1294 is a little large in size 30 so that's what I based my size recommendation for you on.
Thanks for the review of the 821, it sounds fab.

Ashley

Your measurements are pretty much the same as mine, which is probably why the Rago 1294 is also my favorite. Though, I bought mine in the 28. I've gained a small bit of weight, but it still fits fine.

SweetieStarr
04-09-2009, 09:58 PM
This may be an incredibly stupid question, but what is the purpose of wearing a slip under a dress? Being born in modern times when most women just wear bras and panties, I'm not sure what the slip adds.

Thanks.

Laughing Magpie
04-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I've become a huge convert to slips - especially full ones, though half-slips have their place - so much so that so I'm coming out of lurkdom to answer :)

- it prolongs the life of your garments by protecting them from you. It's often easier to wash a slip over and over instead of a dress.
- the slip makes things comfortable against your skin.
- they provide modesty if it's a sheer garment.
- slips cover up all manner of bumps and ridges, diminishing the appearance of panty lines, waistbands, bumpy bras, and garters.
- they help prevent static cling, and generally allow dresses to hang more smoothly.
- they can be beautiful... or sexy.
- vintage clothes are often unlined, since they were made assuming you would wear slips and undergarments, and so slips are especially useful if you're going to wear vintage.

Lillemor
04-10-2009, 12:26 AM
I've become a huge convert to slips - especially full ones, though half-slips have their place - so much so that so I'm coming out of lurkdom to answer :)

- it prolongs the life of your garments by protecting them from you. It's often easier to wash a slip over and over instead of a dress.
- slips cover up all manner of bumps and ridges, diminishing the appearance of panty lines, waistbands, bumpy bras, and garters.
- they help prevent static cling, and generally allow dresses to hang more smoothly.
- vintage clothes are often unlined, since they were made assuming you would wear slips and undergarments, and so slips are especially useful if you're going to wear vintage.

They're all reasons why I want full slips. I've had my half slips for ages so even though they've never gone in the washing machine, they're very loose in the waist band now and I've had a few embarrassing situations with some vintage pencil skirts.

SweetieStarr
04-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Thank you so much for this wonderful answer!

KittyT
04-10-2009, 10:37 AM

Also, perspiration and body oils break down fabrics over time, and this is of special concern when it comes to delicate vintage fabrics. This is another way slips help protect your clothing.

Most gals never realize when they step out the door that you can see their undergarments through their dress/skirt, or that that dress is sheer once the sun is shining through it.

KittyT
04-10-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it already, but Timeless Trends is an excellent place to buy corsets.
They are all $99 for genuine, steel-boned corsets, which is nothing compared to upwards of $200 in other places...
http://www.timeless-trends.com/index.htm

I have two and I couldn't be happier.

I was just looking at their site, and while their items are lovely, they use spiral bones. spiral bones offer the most flexibility of any of the bone types, but they aren't good for women wearing a C cup or more and they are the least supportive type of bone. This gives me the impression that these corsets are meant more for fashion than for true, heavy cinching.

then again, a lot of more expensive places like What Katie Did also use spiral boning.

chanteuseCarey
04-11-2009, 08:24 AM
I was given the Rago open bottom girdle style # and girdlebound website from the wonderful deco seamstress that made me a 40s blouse and skirt. I ordered it right away in time for her fitting the muslins.

She had said the foundation undergarments are important to create the "shape" and look that these clothes were meant for and created for in the original time period, and it changes one's posture. She recommends the Rago to all her clients, and always wears them herself.

WOW, what a difference!! The skirt I had had on before adding the OBG slid down some with having the girdle on underneath-woohoo!

I'm now completely hooked on the Rago and the Flexees too and the Playtex 18 hr bra!! I wear them everyday in some combination with real vintage clothes, vintage-inspired or modern clothes. They are very comfortable.

I love the look wearing these, I've also gotten the Rago long line with legs no zipper (forgotten the style # sorry). Both Rago styles give you a prettier posture/carriage (which I've needed badly), a more ladylike walk, and even when you sit too- as you cannot sprawl your legs when wearing these puppies especially the OBG! The Rago OBG in particular and the long line somehow give one a bit of a wiggle walk- its amazing, maybe because it keeps your legs closer together and you cannot take as long a strides. Well, whatever it is - it works!:)

The first day I wore the Rago OBG with a skirt and blouse while walking down the street, a man a little older than myself sitting with two others as I walked past them, said "I really love your skirt!"

I wear the Flexees all in one too, especially when I want a really smooth line bust through torso in my clothes such as modern knits and sweaters. I wear it with just regular pantyhose underneath (no panties, briefs or thong-I don't even own one of those ridiculous things) and my Playtex bra.

BTW, I've quit with the Spanx and the Donna Karan equivalent. Tried them previously and was never truly satisfied.

I've done a "test-drive" on the Playtex bra and on the Flexees for those that are interested on other threads in this section.

I have not done a waist cincher yet, as I have a very broad back from swimming, and am concerned about having a muffin top and being able to get the fit right.

Thanks!

chanteuseCarey
04-11-2009, 08:43 AM
and I'd been working with many years with older half slips with stretched out waists like Lillemor too.

A good slip is KEY! Once you try one, you'll see that it truly makes the line of the clothes look so much better.

Since connecting with real vintage clothing these past two months (early Feb 09) I've fallen for wearing vintage slips everyday! I'm more of a skirts and blouses and dresses type of gal rather than pants.

I now have three full length slips- a creamy white lightweight nylon with pleating at the hem, a light blue soft nylon that is a bit shorter (just at top of knee) with lace at the hem, and a black nlyon-orlon "Tafredda" side zip with pleating at the hem. This one makes a swishing sound when worn, I love it! These three work with any and all of my vintage, vintage inspired and modern clothing.

I would go even one further than Magpie here- for vintage clothing I'd say a slip is a must- to be wearing the clothes properly and the look being "right".

maggiethespy
04-11-2009, 08:56 AM
I went bra shopping for the first time in a couple of years and was determined to find something that looked nice, was comfortable, and fit well. I'd been sized by my cousin, a former Victoria's Secret employee, a couple of months ago and decided to get something my true size instead of the smaller band I had previously been wearing.

I'm on a college student's budget, so instead of heading to VS, I stopped by a local department store. Now, I like lace just as much as the next girl, but deep down I'm just not very fancy. I'm also very happy with my B cup and don't really need extra padding-- my mom asked me why I didn't want to look a cup bigger and I told her it was because I didn't think false advertisement was a good practice. I spent HOURS pouring through racks of bras trying to find a simple cotton, lightly lined underwire bra.

Everything that was cotton was padded, everything that was lined was studded or glittered in some way. Plenty of mesh push-up bras, tons of satin and lace! If the padding wasn't two inches thick, it wasn't lined or molded at all. I could have screamed.

Finally, just as I thought I was finished and going to leave empty handed, a spotlight from heaven shown down upon the perfect bra-- lightly lined with "concealing petals" in the cups, delightfully soft, cotton-like nylon fabric. straps thick enough not to cut into my shoulder, and NO BEDAZZLING!
Hanes Underwire Concealer Bra is my new best friend.

I'm just frustrated because I want to know who decided all girls who were smaller than a C WANTED to look a cup size bigger AND strip on the weekends? I just had so much trouble finding something simple and plain (deep down I'm a cotton bikini-cut panty girl, too). Two years ago, I could have had my pick of lightly-lined cotton underwire bras.

pigeon toe
04-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Maggie, you know what is also a great brand? Calvin Klein! I'm a B cup as well, and though I usually wear push-up or lightly padded bras to balance me out (I have really big hips and I don't like being so bottom heavy), CK makes amazing non-padded bras that make my boobs look great! You can find them at Macy's and there are usually always a few styles on sale for $20-25. I think they are regularly priced at $30-35.

Most of the time they are a little more fancy than just plain cotton, but tastefully so. My favorite right now is a dark green with some little lace along the top edge of the cups. Very pretty and subtle. My best friend who's an A cup loves CK as well. Almost none of their bras are padded, but there's something about the cut and shape that really accentuates what you've already got! They are definitely my favorite.

Lily Powers
04-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I used to think I didn't need slips under darker dresses, but one day as I was climbing the steps to my office, I checked out my reflection in the glass door and was mortified to realize I could see the parking lot behind me thru my skirt. Since then, I've become a slip wearer.

What are thoughts and opinions on light weight cotton slips as opposed to nylon or silk slips? I like the feel of the cotton, but wonder if my dresses will catch on the fabric and result in that bunched-up look.

And a Rago waist cincher question: When it cinches your waist, does it give you a roll of skin on the back? I ask because I saw a late 1940's Joan Crawford movie and she had to have been wearing a corset of some sort - her mid-section was tiny! She turned around though, and in the backless dress she was wearing, her back looked like it was spilling over the corset. It wasn't a look that appealed.

kamikat
04-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Re: back spillage: when it really matters, I will pin my waist cincher at the back top to my bra band. This eliminates most, if not all back rolls.

Heather
04-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Re: back spillage: when it really matters, I will pin my waist cincher at the back top to my bra band. This eliminates most, if not all back rolls.

Thats a clever idea! What do you pin it with?

kamikat
04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Safety pins are more secure, but difficult to close by yourself. Straight pins are easier to do yourself, but can come undone or stick into your skin during the day.

KittyT
04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm on a college student's budget, so instead of heading to VS, I stopped by a local department store. Now, I like lace just as much as the next girl, but deep down I'm just not very fancy. I'm also very happy with my B cup and don't really need extra padding-- my mom asked me why I didn't want to look a cup bigger and I told her it was because I didn't think false advertisement was a good practice. I spent HOURS pouring through racks of bras trying to find a simple cotton, lightly lined underwire bra.

Maggie, Sears has their own brand of bras (Enchanting) that I really like. They are a molded, seamless no-show bra. No frills, no padding and no back-roll either. The only frills are a little scalloped edge, and my black one has leopard print on the inside. Other than that, they are plain, comfortable and inexpensive (around $15).

Darhling
04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
I love my Freya bras! They are the only bras I have tried that give my girls support, make them look sexy and perky (a bit hard when they are DD) and they also don't look like granma bras!

I just ordered this Arabella bra (http://www.figleaves.com/uk/product.asp?product_id=FRA-5721&mci=&size=&colour=&image=r387646-p387662-front) in the color oyster which is a sheer nude color.

kamikat
04-13-2009, 02:34 PM
I have that bra in a chocolate brown. I LOVE it!!!! It is very comfortable and gives great support. I think you will be happy with it. It's sheer enough that, if not for the bright pink bow, I could wear it under white t-shirts.

Darhling
04-13-2009, 02:36 PM
I have that bra in a chocolate brown. I LOVE it!!!! It is very comfortable and gives great support. I think you will be happy with it. It's sheer enough that, if not for the bright pink bow, I could wear it under white t-shirts.

I have it in sheer bright pink and sheer white, I doubt I will be finding as good a bra (for those prices) as those! Next purchase is the black as shown in the pic..

Lillemor
04-14-2009, 04:32 AM
I guess I'm the only one who failing a bullet bra with pads would prefer a grandma style bra but am now finding it impossible to find one of these no-nonesense bras that lift up and give just a bit of "bullet" point, in a small size 75C.:( I think they'd give my knits more of a retro look.

AnnaMaria
04-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Lillemor, I know how you feel. Bullet bras doesn't seem to work on me either.
I bought a kind of retro styled bra from a Swedish brand called Trofé. They might be availiable in Denmark too.

I bought mine at the supermarket and it was not expenive at all, 99SEK i think.

You can see it here
http://www.trofe.se/gallery.aspx?TreeID=24
It is the one in the end of the third row.

Laura Chase
04-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Is the tax added on at the time of check out, or do you have to pay it upon the item's arrival? What about the option of having a US Lounger purchase it for you and ship it as a "gift"?

Looking through the thread to find some links to places that sell nice nylon panties, I saw I hadn't answered this one! We have to pay the tax in order to receive the package. Sometimes, even packages marked as "gifts" are taxed. :( Depends on the value. If it's marked "gift" + has a low value on it, it can get through. :)

Vintage Verve
04-15-2009, 07:09 PM

I'm happy to say that I totally love my cincher. I can now wear it for as long as I want (I guess I just got used to it!) without trouble.

If you'd like to take a look at what I look like in my WKD cincher, I've popped a couple of shots on my blog here. (http://vintageverve.blogspot.com/2009/03/elegantly-waisted-vintage-vixens-secret.html)

Thanks for all the advice when I was looking for some foundation undergarments. This thread has been great.

Lillemor
04-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Lillemor, I know how you feel. Bullet bras doesn't seem to work on me either.
I bought a kind of retro styled bra from a Swedish brand called Trofé. They might be availiable in Denmark too.

I bought mine at the supermarket and it was not expenive at all, 99SEK i think.

You can see it here
http://www.trofe.se/gallery.aspx?TreeID=24
It is the one in the end of the third row.

Which supermarket carries the line? I might twist hub's arm to drive me there if we drive over east this summer. Otherwise, I'll have to google.dk it when I get time.

The 15100 SOFIA looks like what I had in mind and someone sent me a link to a site that has the small pads for the sweatergirl look but it's U.S. based and I hate the shipping/tax surprise for collecting overseas packages.

:offtopic: I paid a fortune for my christmas present from my dad.:( :( Which is really a shame because I've found so much stuff I want from U.S. based sites.

What happened to femme-fatale in CPH?

I might order this one from frandeli:Triumph Ladyform Soft W
Varenummer 10004936

ShrinkingViolet
04-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Lillemor et al., for you EU-based women I can recommend this site for granny-style underwear: http://www.woods-online.co.uk

Their Naturana bras are good quality and relatively inexpensive (the ones that are copied from the Triumph 'Doreen', like the Trofé one above, are quite bullet-y) They also have many different girdles, sweet and innocent cotton garter belts etc.

Lillemor
04-17-2009, 02:20 AM
Lillemor et al., for you EU-based women I can recommend this site for granny-style underwear: http://www.woods-online.co.uk

Their Naturana bras are good quality and relatively inexpensive (the ones that are copied from the Triumph 'Doreen', like the Trofé one above, are quite bullet-y) They also have many different girdles, sweet and innocent cotton garter belts etc.

Oooh! Thanks and they have slips! I am so excited now!:) :eusa_clap

AnnaMaria
04-17-2009, 03:02 AM
I bought the Sofia bra at Coop Forum.

ShrinkingVioletwhat a great link. One of the Naturana bras comes in black too. I have only been able to find white ones.

KittyT
04-17-2009, 06:17 AM
ShrinkingVioletwhat a great link. One of the Naturana bras comes in black too. I have only been able to find white ones.

If the bras are cotton, you can probably play around with dying them.

matrioshka
04-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Hello all,

If you don't mind, I'd like to post a link to an Italian company that manufactures foundations.

www.nuovaclara.com

Their stuff is a mix of old and new. Some of the items on this page are very retro:

http://www.nuovaclara.com/shop/category.php?nocache=yes&idx=7&rpp=12&skip=0&locale=224&currency=

I have dealt with them in the past, and their stuff is incredible. It looks like it fell through a time warp. Not cheap either...

Please forgive me for intruding, but I did ask permission first.

Regards,
M

Heather
04-18-2009, 12:44 PM
:offtopic: matrioshka-where in New Hampshire are you?

AnnaMaria
04-20-2009, 05:41 AM
If the bras are cotton, you can probably play around with dying them.

I thought about that, but unfortunatly they are made of some synthetic material. I might try it anyway though with a dye for synthetic fibers, because I would really like to have a salmon pink one.

Laura Chase
04-20-2009, 05:54 AM
What happened to femme-fatale in CPH?

Last time I checked, they didn't have any decent bras, hardly any decent girdles either. The problem is that they are really too fetish oriented, so they have a lot of less tasteful (but "sexy"/fetish) stuff. Their strength is hosiery, though, they have some really nice stockings.

PS
04-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Can anyone recommend a garter-less girdle? Does a sarong style girdle have clips?

exquisitebones
04-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Has anyone else have problems ordering from GirdleBound.com ??
I tried to place my order, and it told me they were not a secure wesbite and to leave... [huh]

GreyAndWhiteCat
04-21-2009, 02:38 AM
I would think that is probably a safety mechanism in your browser. It probably means GirdleBound doesn’t have heavy enough encrypting between you and their server when you want to buy something from them. Most modern browsers will ask you to not use these kinds of web shops. You can overrule the browser I would think, but there can be risks of your information getting on wrong hands. I hope my explanation can help you understand what is happening exquisitebones.

Laura Chase
04-21-2009, 04:00 AM
Has anyone else have problems ordering from GirdleBound.com ??
I tried to place my order, and it told me they were not a secure wesbite and to leave... [huh]

I think GreyAndWhiteCat is right. If you can't get it to work, just try emailing him and submitting your order this way, he's really helpful.

Darhling
04-21-2009, 05:48 AM
There is a gorgeous pantygirdle availible on stockingshq!! I have never seen those before. That will be perfect for me, since my girdles and corselettes always comes down so low, making it difficult to wear panties over. Any thoughts on pantygirdles?

LizzieMaine
04-21-2009, 06:15 AM
There is a gorgeous pantygirdle availible on stockingshq!! I have never seen those before. That will be perfect for me, since my girdles and corselettes always comes down so low, making it difficult to wear panties over. Any thoughts on pantygirdles?

I wear them a lot -- they're especially good if you expect to be moving around a lot because they give you a bit more flexibility. The main disadvantage is that the garters may hang lower than on a regular girdle, and your stockings may be too long. I often buy shorter stockings than I'd ordinarily wear to use with panty girdles.

KittyT
04-21-2009, 06:18 AM

I love them. I really like the Rago Diet-Minded ones. They're a little lighter control so they're very comfortable for everyday wear.

Lizzie is right about the garters being longer, but most are removable so you can replace them with shorter ones if you like.

Laura Chase
04-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Do Van Raalte still produce stockings? I've heard they used to make the softest, sheerest nylon panties. :o

64tonya
04-22-2009, 03:45 PM
I just got my first real vintage bullet bra today! I feel like I have two mt fujis on my chest lol I also wanted it to go with my many tight sweaters, but I wonder if it will attract a little more attention than I'm comfortable with...I feel a little like a superhero...."Which way? That way to the batmobile!" (Pointing Mt Fuji)

graverobbergirl
04-22-2009, 04:22 PM
I just got my first real vintage bullet bra today! I feel like I have two mt fujis on my chest lol I also wanted it to go with my many tight sweaters, but I wonder if it will attract a little more attention than I'm comfortable with...I feel a little like a superhero...."Which way? That way to the batmobile!" (Pointing Mt Fuji)

:eusa_clap Brilliant! I don't think I could ever make that transition...I'm too used to them being round, guess they're more Appalacian than Rockies (or Mt Fujis)

Lily Powers
04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
:eusa_clap Brilliant! I don't think I could ever make that transition...I'm too used to them being round, guess they're more Appalacian than Rockies (or Mt Fujis)

:D Hey, at least they're not moguls!

64tonya
04-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey ladies, I am a big fan of the pencil skirt and have many gathering dust because I need a nice tummy flattener. That little pooch suddenly looks very big in most of those skirts :mad: (My new bullet bra has inspired me to get them back into circulation ;) ) I really don't know what to look for [huh] I'm about a 28-29 waist and 37 hip. How do I size these? I have a modern pair that are like shorts, but they don't do much. I was thinking of the hi-waist open kind with attached garters. Any input would be great.

Lareesie Ladavi
04-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Hey ladies, I am a big fan of the pencil skirt and have many gathering dust because I need a nice tummy flattener. That little pooch suddenly looks very big in most of those skirts :mad: (My new bullet bra has inspired me to get them back into circulation ;) ) I really don't know what to look for [huh] I'm about a 28-29 waist and 37 hip. How do I size these? I have a modern pair that are like shorts, but they don't do much. I was thinking of the hi-waist open kind with attached garters. Any input would be great.

This works great. ;) It cinches in the back and zips in the front. It also has detachable garters. It flattens the stomach, while cinching, for an hour glass shape. While I wouldn't wear it every day, it is nice for those days you want to look extra-thin. I'm on my second one... For your measurements, I'd get a small.

http://www.fredericks.com/Ultimate_Waist_Cincher/53451,default,pd.html?cgid=corsets%20-%20by%20style-waist%20cinchers

PS
04-22-2009, 07:51 PM
I shopped. Oh man.
http://www.kissmedeadly.co.uk/pictures/vargas-girdle-1.jpg
http://www.kissmedeadly.co.uk/pictures/vargasdress-redblack.jpg
plus a pair of sheer knickers and seamed stockings.

hepburn and leigh has a code WELCOME for 15% for new shoppers. I was powerless. I bought the vargas dress for 36. USD. Girdlebound charges 88. I am so weak!

64tonya
04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
hepburn and leigh has a code WELCOME for 15% for new shoppers. I was powerless. I bought the vargas dress for 36. USD. Girdlebound charges 88. I am so weak![/QUOTE]
Oh, I am so drooling over that Vargas! I'm already calculating pounds to dollars...

64tonya
04-22-2009, 10:41 PM
I found some great Ragos and other brands on clearance (sadly not in my size) so I thought I'd pass the info for the ladies who might be in the market for some unmentionables... http://www.orchardcorset.com/Clearance_c_146-4-0.html The Lacette 9357 in beige is only 27.50!

exquisitebones
04-24-2009, 08:59 AM
I just bought the rago shapette in 1359 at http://brabarella.com (http://www.brabarella.com/floatpages/shapewearfloats/g080704shapetteO.htm)
for 25$!!!!

that was the cheapest I found it.
I hope it is what I am looking for. its says firm control, which I dont think i need, but i did want a nice shaping OBG.
anyone have one????

64tonya
04-24-2009, 10:44 AM
I just bought the rago shapette in 1359 at http://brabarella.com (http://www.brabarella.com/floatpages/shapewearfloats/g080704shapetteO.htm)
for 25$!!!!

that was the cheapest I found it.
I hope it is what I am looking for. its says firm control, which I dont think i need, but i did want a nice shaping OBG.
anyone have one????
They have the best prices! I'm looking at a few items on there myself. I thought about that one, but I was afraid of the dreaded muffintop. Let me know how you like yours :)

PS
04-24-2009, 11:13 AM
They have the best prices! I'm looking at a few items on there myself. I thought about that one, but I was afraid of the dreaded muffintop. Let me know how you like yours

I can't wear anything that stops right below my ribs. I am 'very ribby', does that make any sense. I have a large rib cage and stuff that stops right there pulls my waist in further and makes me ribs look like overhang that with whatever extra i do have on my waist...is very not cute. this is why i hate the panty girdle. that and the rubber on the thighs...ouch.:rage:

KittyT
04-24-2009, 12:09 PM
hepburn and leigh has a code WELCOME for 15% for new shoppers. I was powerless. I bought the vargas dress for 36. USD. Girdlebound charges 88. I am so weak!

would you mind posting a link to this? I looked at girdlebound and don't see what you're talking about.

PS
04-24-2009, 07:28 PM
The Kiss Me Deadly Vargas Dress (girdle dress) @girdlebound
http://www.girdlebound.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GVG&Product_Code=KMD-VGD-RB&Category_Code=kmd
$88.00

The Kiss Me Deadly Vargas Dress (girdle dress) @hepburnandleigh.com
http://www.hepburnandleigh.co.uk/shop/item/227
on sale for 30 pounds down from 39, with the code makes it 25 pounds or 36 US Dollars.