Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Ok, so I have a question about actual corsets. For example, the ones from What Katie Did (like the "curvy corset") that claim to reduce your waist by 3 to 4 inches. Can I just buy that and use it straightaway, or do I need to do some kind of "training" first? Or can I just order the corset and wear it? What's the deal? I've got one of the Rago all-in-ones, but it isn't a true boned corset.

I just picked up several 1940s dresses and, while I have an hourglass shape, a dramatically defined waist would really set these dresses off.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hi Fortworth. I got mine, and it's a total lace up job, and just got on with it. I don't really know what the training corsets are :eek: . Mine can reduce up to 3 inches, but I tried it first for a couple of days just lacing it in till it felt 'pushy' if that makes sense. I got used to that then laced it in by a good inch, got use to that, etc. I don't do the full 3 inches often, 2 inches is good enough for breathing. Remember that if you have only lace up you can alter the lacing so that the waist comes in tighter than the ribcage or over the hips, ie it lets those bits out a bit more once you get used to lacing it up (or rather your lacing partner does) - it still pinches, but as far as I can tell a hook and eye version kind of defines where everything is first then you can only alter the tightness. I'd go with lacing and no hook and eye myself, but watch out for where the lacing can pinch flesh at the back. Ouch!

decodoll

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
Ok, so I have a question about actual corsets. For example, the ones from What Katie Did (like the "curvy corset") that claim to reduce your waist by 3 to 4 inches. Can I just buy that and use it straightaway, or do I need to do some kind of "training" first? Or can I just order the corset and wear it? What's the deal? I've got one of the Rago all-in-ones, but it isn't a true boned corset.

I just picked up several 1940s dresses and, while I have an hourglass shape, a dramatically defined waist would really set these dresses off.

It really depends on the person and how squishy you are. Some people can zip down 4 inches in no time and with for others it will take waist training. Either way, you should still get the corset 3-4 inches smaller than your waist measurement. A gap at the laces of about 2 inches is just fine. Keep in mind however that the corset, being boned and all, will add back some bulk. Personally, I'm not squishy or trained enough to ever have a corset enable me to get into a dress that doesn't already fit me without the corset. A Victorian corset will change the shape of your waist, however, so appearancewise it may look like you've reduced more than you actually have. :) Here's an example of me in a corset I made. I'm only reduced about 2 inches.
corsetfront2.jpg

decodoll

Practically Family
Caledonia said:
...Remember that if you have only lace up you can alter the lacing so that the waist comes in tighter than the ribcage or over the hips, ie it lets those bits out a bit more once you get used to lacing it up....

Ideally, and especially if you are paying for a custom corset, you should be able to lace your corset uniformly comfortably. When I make a corset pattern, I take a full 4 inches out at the waist (where you want the compression) and less out of the bust and hip. :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
You made that! Cue "eyes wide open, jaw on floor"! I was thinking of making a girdle/suspender, but now I'm feeling inadequate ;) The 2 inch lace gap at the back - is that totally open, or do you have an material overlap to stop the pinch?

decodoll

Practically Family
lol lol lol

That one is open. I've never made one with a protector. My Dark Garden wedding one, however, has a protector that just slides in and the tightness of the corset keeps it in place. That way you can wear it either way. I've never really had a problem with pinching though. That was more for asthestics sake since it was my wedding dress. :)

Rosie

One Too Many
Okay, I purchased a "real" waist cincher, the kind that ties in. I haven't gotten it yet but my question is this: Where do the ties go once the cincher is pulled in? Do the ties show under the clothing?

colleency

One of the Regulars
Farthingale's L.A. store is *almost* open. It previews this coming weekend, and it officially opens the following weekend. I understand it will be closed during Costume College, because they will all be there.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
Fleur De Guerre, you'll love wearing girdles! I've just started wearing them myself, and absolutely love the 'feel' of it. Maybe it's just me, but my dresses look better on. And like Lizzie said in another post/thread..it does make you feel more 'solid':)

I agree with that! Whenever I wear one of my corsets, I always look so much better--sleeker. I think most women's slinker dresses could benefit from one.

So many times I've walked into a restaurant and almost wanted to write the url for girdlebound on a napkin and hand it to a woman. It's not about size so much as much as it is about streamlining the body so the dress can slip over one with the greatest ease.

Rosie

One Too Many
Hope someone answers this before the night is over

Okay ladies, I need help (again). I'm going away for a few days tonight and I am in the midst of packing. I have a modern all in one open bottom girdle but, the cups are soft, no wire, I want to cut the cups out so that I can wear another bra with it, the particular dress I want to wear this weekend doesn't look right with soft cups breasts. Can I do this without doing too much damage? Like, if I cut out the cups, will I mess up the straps, will it rip up? Any suggestions are most appreciated.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have no idea if that would do damage...I imagine that you would need to sew underwire cups in to replace the soft ones. Have you considered putting underwires into the cups?

Otherwise, I suggest purchasing a high-waisted open bottom girdle, and wearing it with your favorite bra, perhaps for future use since you are going out of town so soon...

Rosie

One Too Many
yay! JBD, thanks for answering. That is what I was thinking. The tinker-er (for lack of a better word) in me wants to just cut it and see what happens. I figure I can always buy another. I would just wear a high waisted pant girdle but, I want to wear stockings and need the garters on the open bottom. Not sure what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider