PDA

View Full Version : Worth & Worth

Carlisle Blues
01-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Anybody have any experience with this outfit[huh]

Andykev
01-24-2009, 09:34 PM
You can find LOTS of prior posts on many hat vendors by using the search function!

I have been surprised that some of my posts from 2004 have resurfaced recently by SOME members using the search function on the LOUNGE. I just searched "Worth & Worth" and got over 500 replies.

Good Luck.

carter
01-24-2009, 09:52 PM
I have one of their fedoras. I like it.

Carlisle Blues
01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I was at a place today called Keezer in Boston. I was looking for a hat to start practicing on.

I picked up their "Milan" model, the felt seemed as if it had no body it was quite squishy.

Just wondering if all their felts are built that way.[huh]

Bob Smalser
01-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Anybody have any experience with this outfit[huh]

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3389779/351547963.jpg

My main bad-weather work hat is a lightweight Worth & Worth felt. It was a hundred-dollar hat 20 years ago when I bought it in NYC. An excellent quality felt more comparable to my 1930's Cavanagh fedora than my 4-7X Open Roads.

It's a rich, warm felt and very soft and comfy. It compresses nicely under a stiff, tin cloth hood and returns to shape. This one was designed to be a soft, informal hat that can be rolled up for storage, and it does the job very well.

The only things I'd change are adding a grosgrain ribbon to the brim edge, adding a liner and changing out the grosgrain sweatband to leather. Those defeat its purpose as a roll-up but would add to its comfort, and I never roll it up anyway.

Tomasso
01-25-2009, 10:04 AM
-----

demian
01-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Well, although you may perform a search there is no actual *experience* with Worth and Worth given...simply some background info.

Although I haven't any direct experience either, I did research them when searching for the *holy grail* myself..

To be a bit more helpful, they are an historic hat shop. One of the oldest still around in the States...if not the most historic (which is why I was lead to them).

their stock of course consists of hats made by others.

Bowlers and such by Christies, as example.

Their felt hats were once made by Borsalino (in fact I purchased a NOS Borsalino from their shop from the 50's for my father!), but as Borsalino quality has declined in recent years the fellow did his homework in search of another manufacturer in Italy to replace ailing Borsalino.

Their felt hats were made by Cappellificio Cervo....now Guerra.

Cervo did/does subcontracting work for Borsalino even today. Their straws in fact are made by Tesi in Florence, the last actual straw mfr. left in Italy.

So if you want a good Italian straw/montecristi, go to the source (at least that is what I am about.).

Barbisio no longer exists, but their is apparently a shop using their name (I believe owned by Cervo now as they bought most of their equipment).

Anyway, to the question. They are a good hat shop and if searching for a quality mass produced fedora I would definitely feel comfortable going that route.

Guerra has a very good reputation and is hailed by old-timers as the new Borsalino. I ma very curious.

Mellegari is one of the last milliners around in all of Italy..and I was told Guerra is the new Borsalino.

Note to those searching in the future, the best italian hats are Panizza, Cervo, Guerra, but from all I have found (and I have called all of them), they do not sell to the public, they do subcontracting work for large or historically famous hat sellers/shops.

For example, if you want a Panizza, goto Cappelleria Troncarelli in Roma. Also I believe Bencraft carries them also, and a Tesi felt fedora line.

I can't recall exactly at the moment, another well known shop in the States carries Panizza. Need to search online, this is how I found this info.

Anyway, for those interested in these marques, this is how it goes...otherwsie, Mellegari in Milano is a good source and they, as well as Troncarelli, have experience shipping and dealing with foreigners.

Here is a link that may help further. although 10yrs old at least it aids with the background you need.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article_Print/0,2812,556,00.html

Hope this was somewhat helpful.
Excuse the off topic info....Many seem interested in these Italian hats, perhaps it will be of interest to those searching in the future.
Regards.

Tomasso
01-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Anybody have any experience with this outfit[huh]W&W was a legendary New York hat store. Top tier. I've worn their hats for as long as I can remember (caps as a youth and fedoras as an adult) as my father and grandfather were loyal customers. I really can't speak to the present day incarnation of W&W as I lost track of them when they closed their Madison Ave. store in 2000 but I've heard good things. Had they not closed and forced me to look elsewhere I'm sure that I would still be a customer.

Here's an article (http://www.nysun.com/style/historic-hat-shop-looks-forward-to-a-new-home/41702/) which may be of interest.

Matt Deckard
01-25-2009, 11:14 AM
I've had one Worth & worth fedora, the treviso, and wore it daily. That was about 10 years ago.

The negatives were that the felt broke down pretty quickly with how I wear hats. Wore a hole in the crown and the brim drooped heavily soon after a few bouts with rain.

The positives were that I loved that hat even though it started looking like it caught mange in less than a year. Keep in mind I abuse my hats.

Splitcoil
01-25-2009, 11:37 AM
On recommendation from someone whose family is acquainted with the owner/designer Orlando (I forget his last name for the moment), I stopped into the shop last year. The hats are very much in the contemporary Borsalino vein. Very comfortable, a little floppy and soft. They have some very beautiful hats that are also very comfortable. I suspect long-term wear and tearability will be below average because as mentioned by others they are very soft felt.

After a long talk with Orlando and a tour round the store, I bought an Aria (gray suede-finish rabbit felt fedora, wide-ish brim with gray binding). Free of charge, he changed out the ribbon for something a bit wider and added a wind trolley that's a perfect color match. The Aria is probably my most comfortable hat. Very soft felt, very supple sweatband add up to very comfortable wear.

Their Sardena and their wide-ribbon trilby have been beckoning to me of late. I think a good W&W would make a nice addition to any collection, as long as you are willing to sacrifice some durability for comfort and looks. They're well made and the designer is a very bright fellow who is still working on new designs trying to blend vintage sensibilities with contemporary. I think it's worth supporting. The Aria is pictured below.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j206/splitcoil/PICT0024ww.jpg

Matt Deckard
01-25-2009, 11:48 AM
I suspect long-term wear and tearability will be below average because as mentioned by others they are very soft felt.

I do have to say here that soft hats can be extremely durable. It depends on the materials used. My best soft hats can take torture and still pop back time after time needing a reblock and deep cleaning now and again.

Worth 7 Worth has some great looking soft felts, yet as said, their felt durability is on the lower end of the scale when compared to the competition.

Splitcoil
01-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I'll be in NYC again this week and plan on stopping into the shop to check out their new hats. Last time I saw him, Orlando was quite worked up about the chestnut felt he had coming (which is out now), as well as the hat which I think became the Wolfy, which started out as a custom job for a celebrity customer. I'm also curious about his new Stingy. If it's as comfortable as the Aria, it could become my favorite uber-casual hat.

If anyone has any questions for him, I'd be glad to convey them.

Tomasso
01-25-2009, 03:47 PM
I'll be in NYC again this week and plan on stopping into the shop. Would you kindly take some pix to share with the lounge? :)

epic610
01-25-2009, 04:35 PM
a hat from them as a gift for my brother. quality was extremely high.

inventory not on a par with the old Madison AVe. store, though

D00R
01-25-2009, 06:36 PM
i think that was the hat store i visited while i was in Nyc during the holidays...
they had bowlers and fedoras of course...i think it was Worth & Worth, it was up stairs.

Splitcoil
01-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Would you kindly take some pix to share with the lounge? :)
I had planned on traveling without a camera, but now I'll see what I can do.

cookie
01-26-2009, 01:28 AM
Their felt hats were made by Cappellificio Cervo....now Guerra.

Cappellificio Cervo is actually Barbisio now since Cappellificio Cervo bought that illustrious name...I know because I have one coming next week from the factory shop of Cappellificio Cervo.

Feraud
08-06-2010, 02:56 PM
So I finally brought my navy blue Stetson to Worth & Worth for a new sweatband. The original sweat was coming off in dried jerky-like looking slices. lol The salesman said the fedora could be ready by next Wednesday. I am looking forward to getting this hat fixed. It is one of my favorites, which is what my wife said I say about all of 'em.
Here is the hat, no pics available of the rotted sweatband..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/feraud/Fedora%20Lounge/DSC03311.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/feraud/Fedora%20Lounge/DSC03310.jpg

Lando
08-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Bought a silverbelly Aria from them and like it quite a bit. Very soft hat. The people there were nice and helpful. I picked my hat up in person and they made sure it was just right before I left.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4708327444_0c0baa2f31_z.jpg

fluteplayer07
08-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I had an excellent experience at W&W during my recent trip to the Big Apple. One of the highlights of my trip, in fact (and the excuse to buy myself a new hat was pretty nice, too). Brandon gave me a tour of the back where all the magic happens, along with a couple of the store's not-for-sale vintage treasures. Great hats, and top notch service, to boot.

Lexybeast
08-06-2010, 04:01 PM
My first fedora was a Worth & Worth fedora, maybe 10 years ago. I loved it at the time, though looking back it wasn't very good- a slight sprinkle deformed it, and a later shower shrank the heck out of it. I suspect it wasn't even a fur felt.

Like I said though, 10 years ago. Maybe they've improved?

Panamabob
08-06-2010, 04:50 PM
They've resized a hat for us recently and the customer said it fit fine. Our local news picked up an article and published it yesterday: http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100805/FEAT05/308059990

danofarlington
08-07-2010, 06:08 AM
On recommendation from someone whose family is acquainted with the owner/designer Orlando (I forget his last name for the moment), I stopped into the shop last year. The hats are very much in the contemporary Borsalino vein. Very comfortable, a little floppy and soft. They have some very beautiful hats that are also very comfortable. I suspect long-term wear and tearability will be below average because as mentioned by others they are very soft felt.

After a long talk with Orlando and a tour round the store, I bought an Aria (gray suede-finish rabbit felt fedora, wide-ish brim with gray binding). Free of charge, he changed out the ribbon for something a bit wider and added a wind trolley that's a perfect color match. The Aria is probably my most comfortable hat. Very soft felt, very supple sweatband add up to very comfortable wear.

Their Sardena and their wide-ribbon trilby have been beckoning to me of late. I think a good W&W would make a nice addition to any collection, as long as you are willing to sacrifice some durability for comfort and looks. They're well made and the designer is a very bright fellow who is still working on new designs trying to blend vintage sensibilities with contemporary. I think it's worth supporting. The Aria is pictured below.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j206/splitcoil/PICT0024ww.jpg
Very cool. I like that Borsalino look. Good combo too. Maybe I'll vist W&W while in New York to see what they've got.

Mr Vim
08-07-2010, 12:12 PM
My regret when living in New York was that I never visited their shop, I only new about JJ Hat Center.

But if I ever go back I will be sure to stop in as I only here good things.

Feraud
08-07-2010, 02:43 PM
I had an excellent experience at W&W during my recent trip to the Big Apple. One of the highlights of my trip, in fact (and the excuse to buy myself a new hat was pretty nice, too). Brandon gave me a tour of the back where all the magic happens, along with a couple of the store's not-for-sale vintage treasures. Great hats, and top notch service, to boot.
I agree on the service. The guy who helped me was excellent.

Feraud
08-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Worth & Worth advertises roan leather sweatband replacements-
http://www.hatshop.com/site/hat-repair.php
Unless I am reading the site wrong this is the default leather and not something I need to specify right?
Has anyone ever had one done at the shop and was roan leather used?
I am d@mn sure my recent refurb was not roan leather and that is only one of my complaints..
What gives?

As an fyi, here is a conversation about roan leather (http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=1458&page=2&highlight=roan+leather).

mayserwegener
08-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Here is some more info on roan leather.

http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/brims_trim_3.html

Supposedly Akubra uses roan leather sweatbands so that would be a good modern day example.

I would discuss the situation with W & W if you think they didn't give you roan leather.

dwebber18
08-16-2010, 09:18 AM
While in NY on vacation last week, my hotel was about a block and a half from Worth & Worth and I made it one of my first stops. Their hats were gorgeous, soft, fit well, and had a great shape to them. I must have tried on 10 different hats. Their service was really good, and I liked 2 hats I tried on really well. I seriously would have bought one but I really couldn't justify $265 for a rabbit hat, when for only a few dollars more I can have an Art Fawcett in beaver. I also went to JJ Hatcenter and a local place in TN near my wife's family and the hats from Worth & Worth were the nicest I saw especially for the price.

RobFedoraField
08-17-2010, 06:39 AM
I've had one Worth & worth fedora, the treviso, and wore it daily. That was about 10 years ago.

The negatives were that the felt broke down pretty quickly with how I wear hats. Wore a hole in the crown and the brim drooped heavily soon after a few bouts with rain.

The positives were that I loved that hat even though it started looking like it caught mange in less than a year. Keep in mind I abuse my hats.

how in the heck did you wear a hole in the crown?

Feraud
08-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Probably from handling the hat by the crown.

Tomasso
08-17-2010, 08:41 AM
I am d@mn sure my recent refurb was not roan leather and that is only one of my complaints..
I don't think there have been any reviews of W&W's refurb work. Care to write a review? :)

It's odd that W&W have been flying under the FL radar considering that they're the only full service hatter in America's largest city.

Feraud
08-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Sure. I'll jot down a few notes regarding my experience with W&W.
Will also get a pic of the cheap-o leather sweatband they installed backwards.. :rolleyes:

jlee562
03-24-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure how recent this site update is, but it's new to me. Worth and Worth has a new line of hand blocked hats that look really interesting. The block shapes actually look similar to many an Optimo hat, and they have some really interesting felt choices. There's three heather/flecked felt finishes, including a really interesting blue felt (http://www.hatshop.com/shop/view/venezia-blue#.UU_jSjcTQsY). They're also doing velours (http://www.hatshop.com/shop/view/st-moritz-green#.UU_jlDcTQsY), and cashmere (http://www.hatshop.com/shop/view/raffinato-rust#.UU_jvDcTQsY) felts. That cashmere felt also has that brim stitch pattern that I've only seen on vintage Borsalinos.

mayserwegener
03-24-2013, 11:10 PM
I think some of these are based on Guerra hats (modified).

KyleK
03-25-2013, 05:45 AM
I think I saw some of these in their shop last fall. I wasn't overly impressed with the finishing of the hats - especially considering the price point.

Geldoc
03-25-2013, 05:58 AM
Yes, I think most of these are made by Guerra. The felts appear to be in different weights. The crowns are not tall, and the styles do look a bit like many by Optimo as pointed out by Jared. Anyone got some?

bowlerman
03-25-2013, 06:58 AM
Some nice and interesting looking models, but the price point seems excessive to me. The unfinished one caught my eye-- I thought it looked pretty neat-- but at $295? Not for my head.

Our friend Aureliano takes those nice photos, I believe.

Blackthorn
03-25-2013, 08:29 AM
For just a bit more money you can get a VS or a Black Sheep.