Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Lotion

Dahlia

Familiar Face
I tried using curlers (for practically the first time, ever) last night. I have very thick hair that is a few inches past my shoulders. I dried my hair enough until it was a little damp, and then I used jitterbugdoll's suggestion of mousse and gel as my setting lotion. I then blow dryed my hair after I had put it up in curlers and didn't take them out until this morning (they were in for about 9 hours).

I think the mousse/gel mixture worked very well as a setting lotion. I used both Suave gel and Suave shaping mousse, they're inexpensive. It doesn't really have a scent to it at all and it left my hair light and non-sticky or clumpy, but kept the curl. I agree that this is especially good to use with thick hair.

I think my hair has lost some of it's curl since this morning, but I have comed it out a lot (I'm only experimenting with curls at this time, the actual styling will come later ;) ).

The effect of this mousse/gel combination may vary depending on hair type and the brand use; I just know that the Suave gel and mousse worked well on my thick, normally straight hair.

MissTayva

Great new product suggestion:
Aveda Flax Seed Aloe sculpturing gel!

One of the stylists I worked with last weekend used this on my hair prior to a wet set. I went under the hair dryer and it dried quite fast... not to mention my hair stayed in place!
I had a cute little updo that stayed in place until the next day :)
You can see it in my avatar!

He was even complaining how hard it was to even get my hair on the rollers (he used magnetic rollers, by the way). That Aveda stuff... so awesome!
I even had my hair styled the next day without washing. No buildup, dullness or any adverse weirdness!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I tried the Lottabody setting lotion, too (always a sucker for a new beauty product) and thought it worked quite well. I was in a hurry this morning and used it with a hot set and my hair seemed to curl very nicely. I actually received a comment from a coworker who thought my hair looked extra nice today.

I use a shine spray by Citre Shine that supposedly helps tame frizz while adding an extra sheen. I find that when my hair gets a little too puffy, this stuff does calm it down. However, I do not have naturally curly hair, so I am not sure how it would work for those that do.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I have fine straight hair,but a decent amount of it.Enough color in it that it has some pliability.For dry sets,I use a heat-activated curl setter,and a light shine enhancing hairspray.
For wet-sets I also use a light gel with a dollop of mousse (hairstylists refer to this as cocktailing)and small velcro rollers rolled in the direction I would like my hair to fall.

Right now,my hair is growing out from a pixie and difficult to set,but it is starting to look more bobish.Hopefully soon I can start experimenting again.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
An Alternative Setting Lotion?

I was reading an article today with a reference that kind of intrigued me -- the writer was talking about her mom, who was a swanky 40's gal, and how she'd use beer to set her hair before going out to mingle with the smart set. Now, I've heard of beer shampoos, but this is the first I've ever heard of using beer to set curls.

So I am intrigued and curious. Has anyone ever tried this? Does it work? Does it make the hair easier to manage than a regular setting lotion? Does it leave the hair smelling like closing time at Tommy Doyle's? Should I put down the Lottabody and crack open a Narragansett?

magneto

Practically Family
I've heard of using sugar water, and since dried beer is quite sticky, must be the same principle... but I can't see how you wouldn't smell like a bar at last call!

decodoll

Practically Family
I recently bought a copy of a 1940's book, How to Dress Your Own Hair, and in it is a recipe for Wave Set Lotion:

Steep 1 ounce of Quince seeds in 1 quart of water. Let cool and strain. Add 2 ounces of alcohol as a preservative.

:)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
HAIR SETTING LOTION
Flax seed gel can be used successfully to help set hair.

¾ cup water
1 tablespoon flax seed
Combine the water and flax seeds in a small pan, and bring to a boil. Simmer until the mixture is gelatinous (about 10 to 15 minutes). Strain out as many seeds as you can. Dip a comb into the gel, and comb through the hair before setting with curlers or pins.

I have flax seeds sitting on my bookshelf to try this out....Will remember to report back when I do it.

Kaela

Vendor
I think I may have stumbled upon the same exact article, I read it in Allure magazine (shy) [ok, I never read *modern* beauty magazines but Audery Tautou was on the cover and I think she's adorable!] Anyway, I was intrigued reading about this girl who's memory of her mother was Chanel No. 5 and a slight smell of beer. What an effect such a thing would have on a person's memory! Anyway, I think I'll try it one of these days, my boyfriend was complaining that my setting lotion smells like poison and he can't sleep sweetly nosed-in on that smell all night, but I bet there'd be no complaints to beer, haha!
I personally think my setting lotion smells like insense or some wierd extract (any one tried Sure Thing?) I will say that I never use my setting lotion straight, I always put it on dry hair and water down the solution. I get really long lasting sets that way.
The flax mix makes sense, since it has a good structure. (In strict vegetarian diets, it is used as an egg substitute, it has that much structure!) And I bet it keep the hair looking lovely! I definately want to try this too!
Does anyone use any sort of oil to set their hair? I read so much about setting mixes like oil, and I don't imagine how this would work, I imagine there are different ingredients, but I don't know what they are to make it not just slip out in a horrible way, and kill all the good fluffiness. Please share!
Thanks for the great tips, ladies!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, that was the article -- in this month's Allure (somebody gave me a gift subscription, honest.)

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if beer scented hair might prove to be an irresistible guy magnet? Not that I dare to try...

magneto

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Yep, that was the article -- in this month's Allure (somebody gave me a gift subscription, honest.)

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if beer scented hair might prove to be an irresistible guy magnet? Not that I dare to try...

Ha! Apparently studies have shown men do indeed react best to "food" scents, i.e. baking, vanilla. Beer smell, alas, might be presumed to be a product of your consumption, rather than external application.

Update: I checked my 1908~ household/beauty book:
"Preparations recommended for [setting] curled hair are usually based upon various more or less adhesive substances, such as gum arabic, quince mucilage (aha!), beeswax, spermaceti, and the like, mixed with various oils and diluted with alcohol or water ... Specific curling properties are claimed for beeswax, oil of origanum, mastic, and carbonate or potassium."

I think I used mastic in kindergarten art project of some kind.

swinggal

One Too Many
My grandmother used sugar and water back in the day or a setting lotion called 'Curly Pet' when it was available. Curly Pet also made pin curl clips, wavers etc.

I still find doing a wet set with Lotta Body setting lotion gives me the best long lasting curls and waves. It's also REALLY soft and doesn't seem to damage the hair like other products.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
One of my aunts always used either flat beer or Knox gelatin (disolved in water first) to set her hair. I think they would make the hair kind of icky and sticky. I wouldn't use either one, but I have seen the flax seed recipe before, and that doesn't sound too bad.

Spinkitten

New in Town
Setting Lotion Help

Hey Ladies,

I am looking for some advice on some setting lotions ie, whats a great brand, how to use it, where do you get it from or how to order it when you live in OZ (no not the same place as Dorothy lol ) sorry bad humor.

I have a devil of time every time I go into a place and ask for some:mad:

cheers all, sorry if this has been done before;)

Spinkitten

New in Town
Thanks Cherryred,

what does it do to your hair ... anything? like dry it out etc? does it set soft or hard? I am completely behind the 8 ball on this, I resort to loads of hairspray to get my curls to set so I walk around with hair that doesn't even move lol

glamgirl

New in Town
Hi Spinkitten

I have found a couple of places in AS that you can get setting lotion. I have not yet used it myself but have found the info. The brand I have found is Kusco Murphy and advertises as: Acts as a volumiser to add strength and shine, Brushes out easily, Delivers strong hold for hot rollers and blow wave setters, Does not leave build up, Setting Lotion is suitable for all types. It costs AU $12.95 (300g) with free shipping from www.haircareonline.com.au You can also get the same product at www.adorebeauty.com.au but it's $17.95 not sure about postage but why would you pay more anyway?! :p I'll keep looking for more (cos I need some as well). Where abouts in AS are you?

Spinkitten said:
Thanks Cherryred,

what does it do to your hair ... anything? like dry it out etc? does it set soft or hard? I am completely behind the 8 ball on this, I resort to loads of hairspray to get my curls to set so I walk around with hair that doesn't even move lol

It is not as stiff as hairspray. It helps hold the curl but I still use hairspray when my hair is dry and arranged the way I want it.
This comes in a bottle and you mix it with water and put it in a spray bottle. You use it when your hair is damp and spray and comb it through before setting with curlers or pincurls.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm