PDA

View Full Version : Setting Lotion

Pages : [1] 2

BelowyourBeauty
08-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Hello Ladies-

I need your expertise...please. I'm looking into buying a setting lotion. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

xoxox
Lola

jitterbugdoll
08-03-2005, 07:46 AM
You can pick up inexpensive setting lotion in the ethnic hair care section of any drugstore. I've used that with good success, but I also get excellent results by mixing a dab of gel with a dollop of mousse. I have thick, heavy hair, and I find that the stronger hold of this mixture keeps my curls in tip top shape!

MissTayva
08-03-2005, 09:54 AM
The cheap stuff works best. Like jitterbugdoll said, you can find it in the ethnic section. It's usually concentrated and you have to water it down.
Whatever you do, stay away from Wella Elan setting lotion. It is horrible!

Aveda also makes one called "Curl Lotion" and it comes in a tube. Pricey,but worth it!

ITG
08-03-2005, 04:03 PM
I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and got Lottabody. It's a purple liquid you mix with water. I bought a small spray bottle to mix it with the water so it'll have a more even coverage. The price tag says $3.19.

MissTayva
08-03-2005, 04:41 PM
I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and got Lottabody. It's a purple liquid you mix with water. I bought a small spray bottle to mix it with the water so it'll have a more even coverage. The price tag says $3.19.

Lottabody... that's the one I use. I couldn't think of the name for some reason. I was only picturing the bottle!
I mix it just a tad stronger than the directions indicate. It works well!

BelowyourBeauty
08-03-2005, 06:27 PM
The cheap stuff works best. Like jitterbugdoll said, you can find it in the ethnic section. It's usually concentrated and you have to water it down.
Whatever you do, stay away from Wella Elan setting lotion. It is horrible!

Aveda also makes one called "Curl Lotion" and it comes in a tube. Pricey,but worth it!
Its funny you mentioned that product (Wella Elan setting lotion) because I actually looked at that bottle and then I read some previous comment about how horrible it was.....thank you for the info.

I've been experimenting with several products...I just hate how my hair becomes stiff and flaky.....but thanks again..I'm going to look into that stuff.

MissTayva
08-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Its funny you mentioned that product (Wella Elan setting lotion) because I actually looked at that bottle and then I read some previous comment about how horrible it was.....thank you for the info.

I've been experimenting with several products...I just hate how my hair becomes stiff and flaky.....but thanks again..I'm going to look into that stuff.

Ooh, that stuff is way stiff, and way flaky. I find it rather hard to comb through. Forget it if it's humid! Lottabody, I believe, is humidity resistant (as are a lot of Aveda's products). Good luck!

swinggal
08-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Can you tell me who makes Lottabody? I've been looking for a good setting lotion for years. So many of the products I use leave my hear feeling limp and dirty rather than soft. My hair is dead straight and quite fine and unless I pin curl it it will lose it style quickly curl-wise.

ITG
08-07-2005, 07:16 PM
The bottle says:Coomer U.S.A.,Inc., New York, NY 10017

There's also an address in Spain: Colomer B.P.P., S.L., Arago 499, Barcelona, Spain

What's interesting is when I pull this site up:
http://www.colomer.com/
It says, "A World Leader in the Leather Industry" with a Barcelona address.

The Lottabody bottle I got was from Sally's Beauty Supply:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1391/105220

swinggal
08-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys. I may have to order some online. I can't say I've seen Lottabody here in Australia. I've tried the Aveda line, but still makes my hair feel too dirty.

ITG
08-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Looking at the sallybeauty link I just posted, I find it interesting that it says Revlon makes it. Revlon is not mentioned anywhere on my bottle and I see nothing on the Revlon site about Lottabody.

MissTayva
08-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Can you tell me who makes Lottabody? I've been looking for a good setting lotion for years. So many of the products I use leave my hear feeling limp and dirty rather than soft. My hair is dead straight and quite fine and unless I pin curl it it will lose it style quickly curl-wise.

I believe Revlon makes it.
Here is a link that has it for sale:
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID5108306DD466414-Hair-Style/Setting-and-Wrapping-Lotion.aspx

That Motions brand (an "Ethnic" brand) is also good. I haven't tried that lotion pictured there... but everything else I've tried is great. I assuming this is, too :-)

swinggal
08-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks gals. Looks like I will have to buy some from the US as I can't find an outlet here for it, which is unusual. Sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Mousses and gels just dont work for my hair.

swinggal
08-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Well, my Lottabody arrived form the US yesterday. I'll tell you how it goes. Am trying a wet set this weekend for big dance on Saturday night. Thanks again for the tip gals. :)

ITG
08-27-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm so glad you were able to find some to order. Hope it works out well.

swinggal
09-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Lordy!! This stuff is great!!! I didn't have time to do a full wet pin curl set BUT I dampened my hair with it and hot rollered it and let it dry. Now, normally it would just fall out when I dance but the wave lasted all night and into the next day! And I hadn't even really tried to curl it properly!!

Yahooooooooooooo!! Thanks gals! Its just what I needed for my fine, slippery locks. Can't wait to do the full on wet set soon. Oh, I also did some finger waves the other night for a 30s feel and they just stayed put - all shiny and lovely. And you are right, you can brush out the curl and have it feel all soft and springy. :) :) :)

CherryRed
09-08-2005, 09:16 AM
I am going to get some of that next week. I tried using the gel/mouse combo on my last set and it turned out way too stiff and clumpy.
My hair has a natural curl and tends to frizz a little after day 2 of my set. Does anyone have a good defrizzer they use for touchups on dry hair??

Kay O'Hara
09-11-2005, 02:56 AM
I believe Revlon makes it.
Here is a link that has it for sale:
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID5108306DD466414-Hair-Style/Setting-and-Wrapping-Lotion.aspx

That Motions brand (an "Ethnic" brand) is also good. I haven't tried that lotion pictured there... but everything else I've tried is great. I assuming this is, too :-)

I have tried the entire Motions line.......they're fabulous! and yes, this lotion is awesome too!

Kay oxxo

MissTayva
09-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Does anyone have a good defrizzer they use for touchups on dry hair??

Frederick Fekkai glossing cream!

CherryRed
09-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks MissTayva!

Dahlia
09-12-2005, 02:05 PM
I tried using curlers (for practically the first time, ever) last night. I have very thick hair that is a few inches past my shoulders. I dried my hair enough until it was a little damp, and then I used jitterbugdoll's suggestion of mousse and gel as my setting lotion. I then blow dryed my hair after I had put it up in curlers and didn't take them out until this morning (they were in for about 9 hours).

I think the mousse/gel mixture worked very well as a setting lotion. I used both Suave gel and Suave shaping mousse, they're inexpensive. It doesn't really have a scent to it at all and it left my hair light and non-sticky or clumpy, but kept the curl. I agree that this is especially good to use with thick hair.

I think my hair has lost some of it's curl since this morning, but I have comed it out a lot (I'm only experimenting with curls at this time, the actual styling will come later ;) ).

The effect of this mousse/gel combination may vary depending on hair type and the brand use; I just know that the Suave gel and mousse worked well on my thick, normally straight hair.

MissTayva
09-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Great new product suggestion:
Aveda Flax Seed Aloe sculpturing gel!

One of the stylists I worked with last weekend used this on my hair prior to a wet set. I went under the hair dryer and it dried quite fast... not to mention my hair stayed in place!
I had a cute little updo that stayed in place until the next day :-)
You can see it in my avatar!

He was even complaining how hard it was to even get my hair on the rollers (he used magnetic rollers, by the way). That Aveda stuff... so awesome!
I even had my hair styled the next day without washing. No buildup, dullness or any adverse weirdness!

Lauren
09-12-2005, 03:05 PM
OOh! Sounds nifty! I think I have to add that to my "wanted" list!

jitterbugdoll
09-12-2005, 03:36 PM
I tried the Lottabody setting lotion, too (always a sucker for a new beauty product) and thought it worked quite well. I was in a hurry this morning and used it with a hot set and my hair seemed to curl very nicely. I actually received a comment from a coworker who thought my hair looked extra nice today.

I use a shine spray by Citre Shine that supposedly helps tame frizz while adding an extra sheen. I find that when my hair gets a little too puffy, this stuff does calm it down. However, I do not have naturally curly hair, so I am not sure how it would work for those that do.

rubyredlocks
09-12-2005, 03:41 PM
I have fine straight hair,but a decent amount of it.Enough color in it that it has some pliability.For dry sets,I use a heat-activated curl setter,and a light shine enhancing hairspray.
For wet-sets I also use a light gel with a dollop of mousse (hairstylists refer to this as cocktailing)and small velcro rollers rolled in the direction I would like my hair to fall.

Right now,my hair is growing out from a pixie and difficult to set,but it is starting to look more bobish.Hopefully soon I can start experimenting again.

LizzieMaine
06-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I was reading an article today with a reference that kind of intrigued me -- the writer was talking about her mom, who was a swanky 40's gal, and how she'd use beer to set her hair before going out to mingle with the smart set. Now, I've heard of beer shampoos, but this is the first I've ever heard of using beer to set curls.

So I am intrigued and curious. Has anyone ever tried this? Does it work? Does it make the hair easier to manage than a regular setting lotion? Does it leave the hair smelling like closing time at Tommy Doyle's? Should I put down the Lottabody and crack open a Narragansett?

magneto
06-02-2006, 06:24 PM
I've heard of using sugar water, and since dried beer is quite sticky, must be the same principle... but I can't see how you wouldn't smell like a bar at last call!

decodoll
06-02-2006, 11:20 PM
I recently bought a copy of a 1940's book, How to Dress Your Own Hair, and in it is a recipe for Wave Set Lotion:

Steep 1 ounce of Quince seeds in 1 quart of water. Let cool and strain. Add 2 ounces of alcohol as a preservative.

:)

Naama
06-03-2006, 07:06 AM
I wouldn't try it..... The smell would make people curious, I think :rolleyes:

Naama

Miss Neecerie
06-03-2006, 09:00 AM
HAIR SETTING LOTION
Flax seed gel can be used successfully to help set hair.

cup water
1 tablespoon flax seed
Combine the water and flax seeds in a small pan, and bring to a boil. Simmer until the mixture is gelatinous (about 10 to 15 minutes). Strain out as many seeds as you can. Dip a comb into the gel, and comb through the hair before setting with curlers or pins.

I have flax seeds sitting on my bookshelf to try this out....Will remember to report back when I do it.

Kaela
06-03-2006, 10:13 AM
I think I may have stumbled upon the same exact article, I read it in Allure magazine (shy) [ok, I never read *modern* beauty magazines but Audery Tautou was on the cover and I think she's adorable!] Anyway, I was intrigued reading about this girl who's memory of her mother was Chanel No. 5 and a slight smell of beer. What an effect such a thing would have on a person's memory! Anyway, I think I'll try it one of these days, my boyfriend was complaining that my setting lotion smells like poison and he can't sleep sweetly nosed-in on that smell all night, but I bet there'd be no complaints to beer, haha!
I personally think my setting lotion smells like insense or some wierd extract (any one tried Sure Thing?) I will say that I never use my setting lotion straight, I always put it on dry hair and water down the solution. I get really long lasting sets that way.
The flax mix makes sense, since it has a good structure. (In strict vegetarian diets, it is used as an egg substitute, it has that much structure!) And I bet it keep the hair looking lovely! I definately want to try this too!
Does anyone use any sort of oil to set their hair? I read so much about setting mixes like oil, and I don't imagine how this would work, I imagine there are different ingredients, but I don't know what they are to make it not just slip out in a horrible way, and kill all the good fluffiness. Please share!
Thanks for the great tips, ladies!

LizzieMaine
06-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Yep, that was the article -- in this month's Allure (somebody gave me a gift subscription, honest.)

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if beer scented hair might prove to be an irresistible guy magnet? Not that I dare to try...

magneto
06-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Yep, that was the article -- in this month's Allure (somebody gave me a gift subscription, honest.)

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if beer scented hair might prove to be an irresistible guy magnet? Not that I dare to try...

Ha! Apparently studies have shown men do indeed react best to "food" scents, i.e. baking, vanilla. Beer smell, alas, might be presumed to be a product of your consumption, rather than external application.

Update: I checked my 1908~ household/beauty book:
"Preparations recommended for [setting] curled hair are usually based upon various more or less adhesive substances, such as gum arabic, quince mucilage (aha!), beeswax, spermaceti, and the like, mixed with various oils and diluted with alcohol or water ... Specific curling properties are claimed for beeswax, oil of origanum, mastic, and carbonate or potassium."

I think I used mastic in kindergarten art project of some kind.

swinggal
06-05-2006, 05:54 AM
My grandmother used sugar and water back in the day or a setting lotion called 'Curly Pet' when it was available. Curly Pet also made pin curl clips, wavers etc.

I still find doing a wet set with Lotta Body setting lotion gives me the best long lasting curls and waves. It's also REALLY soft and doesn't seem to damage the hair like other products.

RetroMom
06-06-2006, 08:59 AM
One of my aunts always used either flat beer or Knox gelatin (disolved in water first) to set her hair. I think they would make the hair kind of icky and sticky. I wouldn't use either one, but I have seen the flax seed recipe before, and that doesn't sound too bad.

Spinkitten
09-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Hey Ladies,

I am looking for some advice on some setting lotions ie, whats a great brand, how to use it, where do you get it from or how to order it when you live in OZ (no not the same place as Dorothy lol ) sorry bad humor.

I have a devil of time every time I go into a place and ask for some:mad:

cheers all, sorry if this has been done before;)

CherryRed
09-07-2006, 04:48 PM
I use Lottabody as it is what I have seen reccomended on here the most. You can buy it at Sally's beauty supply stores.

You may find it online if it not available locally.

Spinkitten
09-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks Cherryred,

what does it do to your hair ... anything? like dry it out etc? does it set soft or hard? I am completely behind the 8 ball on this, I resort to loads of hairspray to get my curls to set so I walk around with hair that doesn't even move lol

glamgirl
09-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi Spinkitten

I have found a couple of places in AS that you can get setting lotion. I have not yet used it myself but have found the info. The brand I have found is Kusco Murphy and advertises as: Acts as a volumiser to add strength and shine, Brushes out easily, Delivers strong hold for hot rollers and blow wave setters, Does not leave build up, Setting Lotion is suitable for all types. It costs AU $12.95 (300g) with free shipping from www.haircareonline.com.au You can also get the same product at www.adorebeauty.com.au but it's $17.95 not sure about postage but why would you pay more anyway?! :p I'll keep looking for more (cos I need some as well). Where abouts in AS are you?

CherryRed
09-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks Cherryred,

what does it do to your hair ... anything? like dry it out etc? does it set soft or hard? I am completely behind the 8 ball on this, I resort to loads of hairspray to get my curls to set so I walk around with hair that doesn't even move lol

It is not as stiff as hairspray. It helps hold the curl but I still use hairspray when my hair is dry and arranged the way I want it.
This comes in a bottle and you mix it with water and put it in a spray bottle. You use it when your hair is damp and spray and comb it through before setting with curlers or pincurls.

Spinkitten
09-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi Spinkitten

I have found a couple of places in AS that you can get setting lotion. I have not yet used it myself but have found the info. The brand I have found is Kusco Murphy and advertises as: Acts as a volumiser to add strength and shine, Brushes out easily, Delivers strong hold for hot rollers and blow wave setters, Does not leave build up, Setting Lotion is suitable for all types. It costs AU $12.95 (300g) with free shipping from www.haircareonline.com.au You can also get the same product at www.adorebeauty.com.au but it's $17.95 not sure about postage but why would you pay more anyway?! :p I'll keep looking for more (cos I need some as well). Where abouts in AS are you?

Glamgirl your a superstar!!! I am in country Vic, I have been looking unsuccessfully for a while now just not the last 24 monthsish I have been off the scene so haven't needed it. those gals in Hairhouse Warehouse told me no such thing existed lol and they are meant to be trained hairdressers :eek:

Where are you ????

glamgirl
09-07-2006, 05:41 PM
I grew up in country Vic!! That's awesome. Love it down there. I'm in Sydney at the moment. No where near as pretty as your part of the world. I find that if you are wanting hair products/accessories for classic hairstyles that you generally have to ask an older sales person as the younger ones just have no idea. Not saying all of them don't know but majority rules

Spinkitten
09-07-2006, 05:55 PM
I grew up in country Vic!! That's awesome. Love it down there. I'm in Sydney at the moment. No where near as pretty as your part of the world. I find that if you are wanting hair products/accessories for classic hairstyles that you generally have to ask an older sales person as the younger ones just have no idea. Not saying all of them don't know but majority rules

AWESOME .. where abouts??? I now live in South Gippsland. Sydney is not soo bad ;) S Patrol are up there now so there is swing dancing, there are some fabulous vintage shops stocking virtually untouched swing gear coz swing is relatively new up there. I bought a stunning 1940's over coat from The Rocks ... it is my most prized article which is pretty lucky becoz most of the vintage stuff is tiny and I am not so little lol

glamgirl
09-07-2006, 06:05 PM
I originally lived near the Dandenong Ranges, we could hear Puffing Billy from our house. Then we moved to Echuca when I was in Year 9. My aunts and uncles used to live in Sth Gippsland. This is so funny!

I'll have to do my research on some more vintage stores in Sydney but I'll sure go and check out that little store in the Rocks. Do you remember the name? I'm currently trying to convince the other half to start taking swing lessons with me. Have been doing some research on that too and Swing Patrol was the one that I liked the look of most. Wow. This is uncanny

Spinkitten
09-07-2006, 07:36 PM
lol it is isn't it ... it never ceases to amaze me just how small this world is. S Patrol are a great bunch and souces tell me that one of the very talented Melb guys is heading up your way !!! Try to get your boy into it ... particularly if he loves all the old stuff too!

Echuca is fantasic I love it up there so much warmer than down south here lol Our house gets so cold that everything feels damp, I can't wait to finally get a new roof and insulation :offtopic:

Syd has a great new Swing Scene ... I came up a couple of years ago it was cool to see it in its budding stage. I think the name of that shop was called Rocket ... this is going back to June of 04, I believe it has moved but if your in that general vacinity pop into the big brick building I know there are lots of big brick buildings but this one kind of stands out from the rest and have a looksee, it was near a glass/pottery shop from memory

Spinkitten
09-07-2006, 07:37 PM
oh forgot to mention ... Hubby and I got married in Kallista in July ... Dandenongs are spectacular especially with that misty rain in Winter

TheLovelyLolly
09-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey there gals!! (oooh!! first post!!) I'm from Sydney too!! .........And I grew up in St.Arnaud in Victoria!!

Try King St Newtown for vinatge as there is a bit of a vintage shopping precinct there. Retrospecd at 486 King St is great!!

And my hair setting tip is that I've moved to a curling wand rather than wet-setting. (My hair is quite thick and it takes all day to set otherwise) So now I use Swarzkopf TAFT Curl-defining mousse (About $6 from the supermarket) and matching hairspray. It holds a great curl (even after a night of dancing in the Sydeny humidity) and doesn't seem to dry stiff at all!!

glamgirl
09-07-2006, 09:47 PM
they're both gorgeous parts of our country. I do miss it when I think about my childhood and growing up. It certainly would've made for some beautiful photography for your wedding. Congrats!! :eusa_clap

I'll be sure to try and track down that store in the Rocks (among lots of others too). thanks for the info.

LovelyLolly, congrats on your first post and welcome. Thanks for the address of that shop in Newtown. I'm going to have so much fun checking out all these little shops. Oooh, just hope the bank account can handle it.... lol

Spinkitten
09-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks Glamgirl,

Welcome TheLovelyLolly, I highly recommend Newtown too, I was in Syd in 2004 for a R'nR comp and we stayed around that area and there are some totally AWESOME shops there.

HEY back on topic, I found this stuff in the supermarket it is not a proper setting lotion BUT Hubbys big band had a gig last night and it was themed 1940's so I got dolled up, I used that stuff that I found that I can't remember the name of with a touch of mousse and a very light spray of hairspray and set my hair in pin curls the day before (same problem as you TLL) and it turned out the best it ever has.

I took some piccies and will have to get them on here when I get home from work tonight.:eusa_clap

glamgirl
09-11-2006, 04:06 AM
Thanks Glamgirl,

Welcome TheLovelyLolly, I highly recommend Newtown too, I was in Syd in 2004 for a R'nR comp and we stayed around that area and there are some totally AWESOME shops there.

HEY back on topic, I found this stuff in the supermarket it is not a proper setting lotion BUT Hubbys big band had a gig last night and it was themed 1940's so I got dolled up, I used that stuff that I found that I can't remember the name of with a touch of mousse and a very light spray of hairspray and set my hair in pin curls the day before (same problem as you TLL) and it turned out the best it ever has.

I took some piccies and will have to get them on here when I get home from work tonight.:eusa_clap
Have you got your pics done yet? would love to see them. it seems like forever since I posted here. The nasty so-n-so computer geeks have banned me from accessing this site at work so now I have to fight the other half to get some time on the home computer. Hope your event went really well spinkitten. Can't wait to see your photos. Can you remember the name of the hair stuff you bought?

TheLovelyLolly
09-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the welcome, Girls.
Yep, I'm interested in the name of that setting lotion too!! Might just give it another try!! Did you saturate your hair with it or just a light mist? Was your hair damp or wet to start with? Dying to see pics of the end result!!

Miss_Bella_Hell
11-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Wanted to revive this thread - how DO you ladies apply your Lotta Body? I just bought my first bottle and mixed it with water in a (vintage - tee hee) dish, but I have a perfectly useable spray bottle I might have used instead.

And what concentrations do you use?

ITG
11-05-2006, 09:57 PM
I mix it with water in a spray bottle and apply it that way.

KatieD
11-06-2006, 02:18 AM
After nearly 15 years of blasting my hair with hairspray and hot rollers for evenings out, I started pin curling (frazzling your hair once a week is okay, but every day would kill it). I tried several mousses etc then decided to try a setting lotion.

What do you know? Granny does know best! The hold is so much better and it doesn't leave your hair crunchy. Why did I leave it so long?!

Being based in a little English village I'm lucky enough to have a little chemist down the road that still caters for the shampoo and set brigade... and me! I just pour a little into my hand and comb through damp to wet hair before pin curling.

Just grab the nearest firm control setting lotion you see - I'm sure you'll be far more impressed than when using modern products.

Katie

GOK
11-06-2006, 08:57 AM
I have agree with Katie - you really can't beat the old fashioned approach! I put mine into a pump dispenser and spray it onto damp hair then comb it through. After putting in all the curlers, I give it another spray all over.

Works a treat! :D

miss noir
11-08-2006, 12:17 AM
I second the Schwarzkopf. i havent tried the mousse, but i thoroughly recommend their setting spray - you should be able to find it in salons and hair product stores easily in aussie. it has a strong hold, doesnt go crunchy and doesnt have an overpowering smell (most important - especially if you're sleeping in it!)

http://www.hairsupermarket.com/product.asp?id=385

KittyT
04-03-2007, 08:02 AM
hey girls, I know there are like a million threads on pincurling. Believe me, I've read all of them (hell, I've even printed out most of them and highlighted parts of some of them), but there is a question I have that I haven't seen addressed.

I've been using setting lotion for awhile with the Wrap, Snap and Go rollers (that are like rag curlers, but with foam inside) and tried setting pincurls for the first time last night. I'm surprised at how well they turned out, but it took me almost as long to brush them out as it took me to roll them! Does setting lotion always make your hair so crunchy and rock hard? I've always had this problem, but with the tight pincurls, it's next to impossible to brush out. I ended up having to rip my brush through some of my hair and I have highly processed hair that is prone to breakage, so obviously this isn't ideal. I have my lotion in a spray bottle and am using a spritz or two per curl on dampened hair.

My hair looked pretty awful until I just decided to push it all together and back away from my face with a headband. A few hours into the day, the ends in the back have gotten pretty frizzy (partially from the brushing through rock solid curls), but maybe I an help prevent that in the future by using Jitterbugdoll's recommendation of mixing gel and pomade.

http://stargazer.mortis.org/fl/pincurls-back.jpg
http://stargazer.mortis.org/fl/pincurls-side2.jpg
http://stargazer.mortis.org/fl/pincurls-side.jpg

Miss Neecerie
04-03-2007, 08:06 AM
Have you been diluting the setting lotion?

i know that you pretty much have to do so with ones like Lottabody and the other ones generally sold at Beauty supply stores.

jitterbugdoll
04-03-2007, 08:10 AM
I don't find that setting lotion makes my hair hard or crunchy, but I have recently noticed that if I don't use the right conditioner on my hair when I wash it, it becomes very dry/crunchy-feeling as it dries, with or without setting. I then have to work some sort of styling lotion/cream through my hair to help soften this effect (and find that my sets do not take as well and end up looking dry/frizzy.)

Miss Neecerie
04-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Ladies,

I just combined this thread with the other Setting Lotion thread...Hopefully this will give folks the bigger picture on setting lotions seperate from the 'how to mechanics of pin curling and waving'.

With Beauty spun off...(sort of like a sit com but not exactly), there is a bit more leeway in having specific topics like a setting lotion thread.
Since its not about -how- to pin curl or the rolling technique, making someone wade through the longer 'how to' is not needed.

Thanks!

KittyT
04-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Have you been diluting the setting lotion?

i know that you pretty much have to do so with ones like Lottabody and the other ones generally sold at Beauty supply stores.

The one I have is a Wella product and I haven't been diluting it because the bottle did not specify that it needed dilution.

edit: reading through earlier posts in this thread, which I hadn't seen, I see that the Wella lotion is to be avoided. Perhaps that is my problem. I'll pick up some Lottabody and give that a try.

Miss Neecerie
04-03-2007, 08:22 AM
The one I have is a Wella product and I haven't been diluting it because the bottle did not specify that it needed dilution.

Hmmm. Might be worth trying a dillution if its crispy at full strength. I think different types of hair end up feeling different with the lotion, and maybe it just overpowers yours a bit too much.

ohairas
04-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Aussie Hair Insurance leave in spray conditioner! Just a note that I usually don't use a setting lotion. But last night when I went to set my hair, I had let it dry too much before rolling. So I grabbed this, which I have always loved anyway... and spritzed each section before rolling.

My hair came out so beautiful today! Very slick and soft. My hair sets well, so I wouldn't reccomend this to those who need the extra hold type stuff!

Nikki

KittyT
04-05-2007, 06:52 AM
reading through earlier posts in this thread, which I hadn't seen, I see that the Wella lotion is to be avoided. Perhaps that is my problem. I'll pick up some Lottabody and give that a try.

well, i picked up a bottle of Lottabody a couple days ago and gave the pincurls another try today. the lack of crunchiness with the Lottabody is great! BUT.... because it has to be diluted with water, it takes a lot longer to dry than the stuff i was using before. i set my hair at 11 last night and parts of it were still damp when i woke up at 7:30 this morning.

i feel like there's just no way at all for me to win here.

jitterbugdoll
04-05-2007, 07:07 AM
well, i picked up a bottle of Lottabody a couple days ago and gave the pincurls another try today. the lack of crunchiness with the Lottabody is great! BUT.... because it has to be diluted with water, it takes a lot longer to dry than the stuff i was using before. i set my hair at 11 last night and parts of it were still damp when i woke up at 7:30 this morning.

i feel like there's just no way at all for me to win here.

I actually use Lottabody full strength a great deal of the time now, as I like the stronger hold I achieve this way. However, because I wait until my hair is barely damp before setting it, I don't notice any difference in drying time when using it full strength or diluted.

KittyT
04-05-2007, 07:17 AM
I actually use Lottabody full strength a great deal of the time now, as I like the stronger hold I achieve this way. However, because I wait until my hair is barely damp before setting it, I don't notice any difference in drying time when using it full strength or diluted.

I usually dry set my hair, dampening it only with the setting lotion and occasionally a mist of water, because otherwise it just never dries. Last night I did the same, just dampening it with the setting lotion solution.

JBD, do you find that it makes your hair crispy when you use it full strength, or is it still pretty easy to brush through? I wonder if I could benefit from this, as (like you) I have very thick hair, and a lot of it. I can always use extra hold!

jitterbugdoll
04-05-2007, 07:29 AM
I usually dry set my hair, dampening it only with the setting lotion and occasionally a mist of water, because otherwise it just never dries. Last night I did the same, just dampening it with the setting lotion solution.

JBD, do you find that it makes your hair crispy when you use it full strength, or is it still pretty easy to brush through? I wonder if I could benefit from this, as (like you) I have very thick hair, and a lot of it. I can always use extra hold!

In between washings I dry set my hair--I use about a dime-sized amount of setting lotion combed through, and then pat my hair with water once in curlers. I don't notice any difference in 'crunch factor' when using Lottabody full strength. The only time I have trouble with that is if I let my hair air dry completely without combing some sort of conditioner or setting lotion through it first; the texture becomes very dry and course feeling and it becomes rather frizzy/puffy when I set it.

Cherry_Bombb
04-06-2007, 05:53 PM
I read back into this post a ways and saw someone had recommended using flat beer. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm going to give it a shot tonight (because I don't have anywhere to be in particular tomorrow! ;) ), I was just curious to see what other peoples results may have been.... I hope I don't smell like I spent the night in a bar!

Shearer
04-06-2007, 07:01 PM
I read back into this post a ways and saw someone had recommended using flat beer. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm going to give it a shot tonight (because I don't have anywhere to be in particular tomorrow! ;) ), I was just curious to see what other peoples results may have been.... I hope I don't smell like I spent the night in a bar!

Wow... Flat beer? Would it not dry sticky? I'm just trying to remember from hazy morning after experience lol

RetroMom
04-07-2007, 05:26 AM

My aunt used flat beer as a setting lotion for 50 years! I honestly don't remember how it smelled, but since she was a housewife and didn't go out much during the day, it didn't matter too much. I will say that she had the most beautiful hair and looked like a cross between Betty Grable and Jitterbug Doll!:)

KittyT
04-07-2007, 09:43 AM
In between washings I dry set my hair--I use about a dime-sized amount of setting lotion combed through, and then pat my hair with water once in curlers. I don't notice any difference in 'crunch factor' when using Lottabody full strength. The only time I have trouble with that is if I let my hair air dry completely without combing some sort of conditioner or setting lotion through it first; the texture becomes very dry and course feeling and it becomes rather frizzy/puffy when I set it.

Jitterbugdoll, thank you SO much for your help with this. I used your advice and used the Lottabody full strength - it was exactly the hold I needed with no crunch. I combined it with some VO5 Sheer! Hairdressing (a creamy sort of pomade for shine and frizz control), with extra Sheer! at the ends, which is where I have frizz problems. I've set my hair using this for the past 2 nights in a row and I have curls and waves like I've always dreamed of.

Also, for those of you wondering about alternative/homemade setting lotions, this is one recommended by a gal on a couple of the Myspace vintage hair groups:

Home Made Setting Lotion

cup water
1 tablespoon flax seed
Combine the water and flax seeds in a small pan, and bring to a boil. Simmer until the mixture is gelatinous (about 10 to 15 minutes). Strain out as many seeds as you can. Dip a comb into the gel, and comb through the hair before setting with curlers or pins

jitterbugdoll
04-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Jitterbugdoll, thank you SO much for your help with this. I used your advice and used the Lottabody full strength - it was exactly the hold I needed with no crunch. I combined it with some VO5 Sheer! Hairdressing (a creamy sort of pomade for shine and frizz control), with extra Sheer! at the ends, which is where I have frizz problems. I've set my hair using this for the past 2 nights in a row and I have curls and waves like I've always dreamed of.

I am glad that my suggestions worked for you! I also like VO5 hairdressing; it is great for touch ups between sets too. :)

RetroMom, you are so sweet.:o I'd love to see a photo of your aunt sometime!

olive bleu
04-07-2007, 11:31 AM
I personally just use a tub of "styling Gel" that i buy at a local 'Dollar Store'. I think the brand is called 'Ecco Styler', and costs...that's right, ladies..$1.It is very thin for gel, and i could never use it if I was actually going to spike my hair or something as it would never hold. I tried it awhile ago out of desperation because locating setting lotion in these parts is pretty hit or miss.
Anyway, I love this stuff..holds curls beautifully, never stiff, sticky or flaky..I am tempted to buy a case of it before I never see it again.:)

pigeon toe
04-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Yesterday I went to a beauty supply store in town that was going out of business and picked up a lot of goodies! One of the things I got was Redken 22 Thermal Styling Mist, which the lady suggested in lieu of another brand of setting lotion.

It can be used for hot rollers/hot sticks or for cold sets and pin curls. I tried out pincurls for the first time yesterday, and it was a little difficult to do with this styling mist (it's very sticky), but it looked very nice in the end. I bet it would be easier to use with rollers. Today I used hot sticks in my hair (without adding any more styling mist, just counting on the stuff that was left in my hair since yesterday), and my hair is beautiful.

It's pricey, but I recommend it to you ladies who use hot rollers often!

Snookie
04-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Also, for those of you wondering about alternative/homemade setting lotions, this is one recommended by a gal on a couple of the Myspace vintage hair groups:

Home Made Setting Lotion

cup water
1 tablespoon flax seed
Combine the water and flax seeds in a small pan, and bring to a boil. Simmer until the mixture is gelatinous (about 10 to 15 minutes). Strain out as many seeds as you can. Dip a comb into the gel, and comb through the hair before setting with curlers or pins

I've wondered about the flax seed recipe for a long time. I took a vintage hairstyling class back in '98, run by a girl and her grandmother, and the grandmother talked about flax seed setting lotion. Thanks for posting -- it looks easier to make than I guessed.

Has anyone tried it? Is anyone willing to? ;)

Miss Neecerie
04-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I've wondered about the flax seed recipe for a long time. I took a vintage hairstyling class back in '98, run by a girl and her grandmother, and the grandmother talked about flax seed setting lotion. Thanks for posting -- it looks easier to make than I guessed.

Has anyone tried it? Is anyone willing to? ;)

I have had a bunch of flax seed sitting in my cupboard for ages, waiting to try this. Unfortunatly I am a lazy girl and havent properly set my hair in -ages-...so while I could whip a batch up.....would i use it....another whole story...lol

ricki
04-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Home Made Setting Lotion

cup water
1 tablespoon flax seed

I tried this before. It was a little stiff, but it did the trick. It was pretty messy to make though... I had to really scrub out the flax seeds from my sauce pan when I was done.

MissHuff
04-26-2007, 08:41 PM
I went on a little trip to Sally's Beauty Supply today (just for a new brush) and I left with a basket full of stuff. :offtopic: Great sale on magnetic rollers right now BTW, 99cents. I couldn't locate the Lottabody which I usually buy so I asked the salesgirl for a good setting lotion and she showed me some stuff I had never seen before. It's a little glass vile that reads Reinforcer Setting Lotion on it.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1320/670084

They come in different types for dry, normal, and fine hair. I got some of the green fine hair kind to try out because they were also on sale. Has anyone ever tried this? The directions say to apply entire contents to towel dried hair after shampooing. I'm used to diluting the Lottabody so I'm a little concerned about how it will come out if I just use the whole thing straight. It also says to Massage evenly, I never have much luck getting product on in my hair so should I dilute it a little in some water and use a spray bottle?

Ack I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

KittyT
04-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Ack I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

If it doesn't say to dilute it, I wouldn't. Hell, Lottabody says to dilute it and I don't (I know others here don't as well). Your best bet is to try a test curl to see what you think!

MissHuff
04-28-2007, 09:30 PM
I tried out the setting lotion the other day after I posted about it. I washed my hair first then I towel dried it and let it sit so that it was just a bit damp because my hair is really long and would take forever to dry. I mixed the setting lotion with a little water so that I could use a spray bottle and get it all over. It worked out pretty good, not really great but then again I had diluted it. I'll try out the other bottle I have following the directions exactly to see how it worked out. The hair did hold up pretty well though. I didn't care much for the smell.

Lou-Lou
04-29-2007, 03:25 AM
For those of you who don't have really long hair I have to share my love for real thin hair-nets. They are just perfect to use, as they prevent those darn "loose-ends" as well as frizz, and prevents the curls from straighten up between settings. An extra plus is that a net is so thin that it doesn't show on the hair! Love it!

KittyT
04-29-2007, 09:27 AM
For those of you who don't have really long hair I have to share my love for real thin hair-nets. They are just perfect to use, as they prevent those darn "loose-ends" as well as frizz, and prevents the curls from straighten up between settings. An extra plus is that a net is so thin that it doesn't show on the hair! Love it!

is there a particular brand you use? do you use the ones with the elastic edging or the pin-in edging? i've looked at hairnets before and want to be able to use them. the problem is that i have platinum and black hair - so it's pretty impossible to get the right color of hairnet :-/

anabolina
04-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Wow, I wish I had read this entire thread before I tried out pin curls last night. I did them once before with just styling gel, but I wanted to try that Lottabody out. Anyway, long story short, my hair was still seriously wet this morning and I still had to get ready for church. Next time I gotta use barely wet hair. I ended up straight-ironing my normally very wavy hair and I gotta tell ya'll, this stuff is great and keeping hair straight, my hair normally gets the frizzies and starts to wave within a few hours of straight ironing, no matter what products I use, but my hair is still straight more than 12 hours later. This is like, masively great.

Emblaze
05-01-2007, 04:34 AM
With setting lotion, is the idea to gently spritz the sections of hair for pincurling, or to drench the crap out of them? I can't get my curls to last very long.

Fleur De Guerre
05-01-2007, 05:51 AM
I think it depends on how long you have to let your hair dry. I think the very best lasting sets would go from completely soaked to bonedry, but for me that would take days, but it might actually not get completely dry ever! Nothing worse than taking out your set and it all going limp and falling out due to it still being damp!

I just spritz dry hair and it works fine that way for me - but I have pretty long hair (past my bra strap) so any more than means I may as well not have bothered!

jitterbugdoll
05-01-2007, 07:04 AM
With setting lotion, is the idea to gently spritz the sections of hair for pincurling, or to drench the crap out of them? I can't get my curls to last very long.

I use only a very small amount of setting lotion--perhaps a dime-sized amount, combed throughout my hair. When starting with freshly-washed hair, I wait until it is almost dry, and then comb the setting lotion through. With dry hair, I pat it with water to dampen and reactivate the setting lotion and re-curl the hair.

Miss Sis
05-10-2007, 08:53 AM
I find my fine, straight shoulder length hair holds better if I drench it in setting lotion when my hair is really wet (after wrapping in towel for a few minutes after washing) and then set it with sponge rollers.

I try to do it early evening and then sleep on it. Sometimes I sit under a hood hairdryer for about an hour and a half if I have to do it the day I am going out and leave them in as long as possible. I take out the rollers and let the hair rest a bit before brushing/combing. I find using lots of smaller rollers works better too as it drys quicker that way. Also I do it to look very 30s so tight curls are what I am after and more rollers works for that. I always sleep with a hair net over the curlers so they can't fall out.

What a lucky boy my boyfriend is to see me in that state!

positivelypinup
05-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I usually drench my hair with setting lotion and put them into pincurls. I wrap a silk scarf around my head and its sleepy time. Then the next night i put the scarf back on and that helps my curls last longer. I can usually get 3 days out of my curls. By the 3rd day i have it pinned back in the front.

But really the scarf trick has helped my curls look really good the next day after..they're less frizzy.

Miss Lucy June
05-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm trying the one y'all warned about tonight...didn't realize it was the bad one till after it was in the hair. We'll see how it turns out tomorrow morning! :eek:

positivelypinup
05-13-2007, 09:59 AM
I bought a bottle of Wella a while ago and I really want to try lottabody.
Before i was just putting my hair in pincurls and i used leave in cond. My hair curled great and then with the Wella it seems to last a little bit longer... so imagine what my hair would do with lottabody!:eek:

Lou-Lou
05-21-2007, 11:45 AM
is there a particular brand you use? do you use the ones with the elastic edging or the pin-in edging? i've looked at hairnets before and want to be able to use them. the problem is that i have platinum and black hair - so it's pretty impossible to get the right color of hairnet :-/

Oh! Must have missed your reply. I use nets with very thin elastic ending, although I found unused from the 30's with pin-in that I haven't tried yet. The brand is somewhat strange "Zenner beauty accessories" - unfurtunately enough the store I bought them from just closed down...Well, good look in finding a net that suits you! Maybe a transparent would do?

sophia la shok
05-25-2007, 11:41 AM

i have found that after i have put it in rollers or pin curls, if i put on some toni and guy iron in heat defence spray, it seems keep the curls locked in for 3 days. also, after i take my scarf off in the morning and unpin my hair, the curls are ridiculously soft and smooth with no frizz whatsoever.
make sure you spray it on again after you've styled it, smooth out any imperfection or frizz. leave it for 5 mins to dry and then add your hairspray. it holds quite tight.

i've had to experiment as i have not been able to find setting sprays in shops in the uk.

SarahLouise
05-25-2007, 01:51 PM
i have found that after i have put it in rollers or pin curls, if i put on some toni and guy iron in heat defence spray, it seems keep the curls locked in for 3 days. also, after i take my scarf off in the morning and unpin my hair, the curls are ridiculously soft and smooth with no frizz whatsoever.
make sure you spray it on again after you've styled it, smooth out any imperfection or frizz. leave it for 5 mins to dry and then add your hairspray. it holds quite tight.

i've had to experiment as i have not been able to find setting sprays in shops in the uk.

Boots and Superdrugs sell setting lotion (both their own brands and Wella) but I have tried the Wella extra strong one and it was pretty useless. I got a bottle of Revlon's Lottabody (purple) on Ebay which I've heard good things about on here and it seems to work great! Some people dilute it, some don't; I definitely needed to as the curls were far too crunchy for my liking without water added. I have got very straight long hair which doesn't curl very well and Lottabody set overnight is the only way I can have curls. It cost about 7 but the bottle is huge and will last you a long time!

sophia la shok
05-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Boots and Superdrugs sell setting lotion (both their own brands and Wella) but I have tried the Wella extra strong one and it was pretty useless. I got a bottle of Revlon's Lottabody (purple) on Ebay which I've heard good things about on here and it seems to work great! Some people dilute it, some don't; I definitely needed to as the curls were far too crunchy for my liking without water added. I have got very straight long hair which doesn't curl very well and Lottabody set overnight is the only way I can have curls. It cost about 7 but the bottle is huge and will last you a long time!

thanks, chick!
i shall most definately be getting some of that. bring on pay day!
;)

KittyT
05-27-2007, 11:06 AM
useless. I got a bottle of Revlon's Lottabody (purple) on Ebay which I've heard good things about on here and it seems to work great! Some people dilute it, some don't; I definitely needed to as the curls were far too crunchy for my liking without water added.

Really? I use Lottabody undiluted and have no crunch. It might help to mix it with a bit of pomade when setting your hair! It also adds shine and prevents frizz.

Miss Brill
05-28-2007, 07:08 PM
I bought Lottabody awhile back & it doesn't seem to do anything much. Queen Helene has a detangler/leave-in conditioner that always gave me great curls that held & were shiney & not frizzy at all.

Daisy Buchanan
05-28-2007, 11:09 PM

A little late on the reply for this, but I'll go for it anyway. I use lottabody, the purple kind, undiluted on barely damp hair. I spray some on the section I'm curling, rather than spraying my entire head first, for when applied to dry hair the setting lotion dries rather fast. So, I take a section of barely damp hair, add some shine serum to it, particularly the ends to prevent kinks, then I douse the section with the setting lotion and roll. If I have the patience I'll use end papers, but the shine serum seems to do fine at preventing that annoying end frizzyness. Once all rolled, I'll spray a bit more setting lotion all over, just to dampen it a bit more, as it does seem to dry out quickly. Then I'll give a spray of shine spray and hair spray. My hair takes a while to dry, and if I put my hair in curlers while it was totally wet it would never be dry in the morning. But using this method, my hair is completely dry by the morning and very soft once I gently brush out the curls.
I've tried quite a few different setting lotions. I'm using the lottabody right now, but that's because I have so much of it. But once I'm out I think I will go back to using the Queen Helen. It seems to give me longer lasting curls, and is less drying to my hair. Either way, I don't dilute. I never got long enough lasting curls when I diluted.

SarahLouise
05-29-2007, 02:40 AM
Really? I use Lottabody undiluted and have no crunch. It might help to mix it with a bit of pomade when setting your hair! It also adds shine and prevents frizz.

Yep, if I use it undiluted I am left with hard, stiff, crunchy curls which don't look too good! With curling it's all about experimenting and seeing what works best for you; what works for somebody else might not work for you. I don't know if this has been mentioned but Pantene perfect curl gel spray is quite good. It gives me nice soft curls but they drop out by the evening, unlike Lottabody. This product might work better for somebody who has hair that curls quite easily but I still use it now and again as I find using Lottabody too often dries my hair.

GILDA
05-31-2007, 06:51 PM
I think a good "setting" is like hairdressing....you know VO5 Hairdressing and Vitapointe. They give hold and shine. They can make your hair greasy if your heavy handed. Start with a small amount, the ingredients are like mineral oil, beeswax, petroleum, stuff like that. So be easy with it. But it holds my curls, keeps my ends tidy and gives nice shine. Its cheap, been around for years, and you can find it anywhere

Goldfish
10-16-2007, 11:50 AM
did anyone of you lovely ladies use beer as setting lotion?

lyburnum
10-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I've been told by my hairdresser that beer is an excellent setting lotion, however I don't want to smell of it so I've never tried it!

I make my own setting lotion with flax seed. Time consuming but I prefer it to using store bought stuff, as I've also tried a couple of setting lotions from Boots. My Mum keeps eating my flaxseed though :mad:

Goldfish
10-17-2007, 05:29 AM
maybe the smell will stop once the hair is dry?
I think I will give it a try... the worst thing that might happen is that my boyfriend huges me a lot more than normal :D

roots66
01-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Is there some kind of special spray bottle that works best with setting lotion?

I've tried several different kinds of spray bottles with Lottabody, but the spray keeps coming out in a thin, heavy stream rather than the wide, light mist I'm looking for. This happens whether I dilute it with water or not, and even when the spray nozzle is at the lowest setting possible. The result is uneven application and more wetness than I'd like. I don't want to dilute the lotion too much or it'll be less effective and take forever to dry. I usually end up spraying the stuff in my hands and stroking/combing it through, which works alright but gets to be rather messy. Any tips?

KittyT
01-11-2008, 12:40 PM

The answer seems to be no. I've not had any luck with spray bottles at all.

I keep my setting lotion in a small plastic jar and either just dip my fingers in or dip a fine-toothed comb in. Seems to work the best for me and is less messy too.

~*Red*~
01-11-2008, 04:19 PM

I've tried several different kinds of spray bottles with Lottabody, but the spray keeps coming out in a thin, heavy stream rather than the wide, light mist I'm looking for. This happens whether I dilute it with water or not, and even when the spray nozzle is at the lowest setting possible. The result is uneven application and more wetness than I'd like. I don't want to dilute the lotion too much or it'll be less effective and take forever to dry. I usually end up spraying the stuff in my hands and stroking/combing it through, which works alright but gets to be rather messy. Any tips?

I feel your frustration! Unfortunately setting lotion and any type of sprayer do not work together. Sad fact. But like Kitty T said, dip the comb, or use your fingers, some people dip a cotton ball and wipe. Myself I prefer to use the Motions Foam. Simply because it isn't drippy! And it's easy to apply.

kerry
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Ladies, I seen a bottle of lottabody called French Perm Lottabody Texturizing Setting Lotion. Is this the right one to buy?
Many thanks
Kerry xxx

roots66
01-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Thanks Kitty and Red. So many gals earlier in this thread said they use a spray bottle--I thought I was nuts when it didn't work well for me. I did buy some Motions foam last month on your recommendation, Red, just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

(*rummages around the house in search of a wide-mouthed container suitable for comb-dippin'*)

~*Red*~
01-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi Ladies, I seen a bottle of lottabody called French Perm Lottabody Texturizing Setting Lotion. Is this the right one to buy?
Many thanks
Kerry xxx

I haven't heard of or seen that one before. Maybe it's called something different in the UK? What color is the lotion? And I am wondering what a "french perm" is...;)

kerry
01-12-2008, 01:16 PM
It looks purple.

MissHannah
01-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I've been looking at that one too and wondering if it is the right one. There is also an 'extra body' version too. It's pretty cheap on amazon.co.uk and ebay.co.uk - just a few quid.

~*Red*~
01-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Maybe it's the same then? Because my Lottabody is purple. [huh] The only part I question is the wording of "perm" and texturizing".

kerry
01-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Its on ebay now but its you cant see the bottle clear enough to read it, thanks anyway Red:)

Lil' Miss A
01-14-2008, 04:05 AM
Amami setting lotion is the one i use, stays put for up to 3 days, no stickiness and beautiful shine :)

Kitty_Sheridan
01-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi girls,
yes thats the right one-it is in concentrated form and is really good! It even held my unruly mop in place.
Like Liss miss C says Amami is good too, but the Lottabody concentrate is a bargain, lasts for ages!
I bought a pretty plant sprayer from Laura Ashley too! ;)
I bought my lottabody off a uk ebayer who deals in Afro hair styling products. V quick despatch etc.
K

kerry
01-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi girls,
yes thats the right one-it is in concentrated form and is really good! It even held my unruly mop in place.
Like Liss miss C says Amami is good too, but the Lottabody concentrate is a bargain, lasts for ages!
I bought my lottabody off a uk ebayer who deals in Afro hair styling products. V quick despatch etc.
K
Thanks Kitty:)

Lil' Miss A
01-15-2008, 02:15 AM
Hi girls,
K

Hia Kate...would you recommend the Lottabody over the Amami?
I have medium thickness hair and it gets weighed down easily :)

Kitty_Sheridan
01-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I like the lottabody, have tried amami and got good results but prefer the lottabody now.
K (thick curly hair)

Goldfish
01-16-2008, 08:44 PM
so setting lotion seems to be the healthiest styling product for hair?

and for fine hair, which is the one to go for?
lottabody,too?

sweetfrancaise
01-17-2008, 03:26 AM
so setting lotion seems to be the healthiest styling product for hair?

I was wondering about this too--I've spent a lot of time getting my hair (I'm talking years. My hair is naturally curly, but I didn't know how to treat it right. It used to be just frizz!) to the point where it needs conditioning only, and very little styling product, so I'm very wary about anything I would put in my hair. So, setting lotion...does it damage your hair? Dry it out or make it lose its natural texture? I've been wanting to try it, to get that sleek cool forties look, but I'm kinda scared to use the lotion! Any of you ladies have ideas?

Josephine
01-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I was wondering about this too--I've spent a lot of time getting my hair (I'm talking years. My hair is naturally curly, but I didn't know how to treat it right. It used to be just frizz!) to the point where it needs conditioning only, and very little styling product, so I'm very wary about anything I would put in my hair. So, setting lotion...does it damage your hair? Dry it out or make it lose its natural texture? I've been wanting to try it, to get that sleek cool forties look, but I'm kinda scared to use the lotion! Any of you ladies have ideas?

You might want to try pure aloe vera gel (NOT the green stuff that is for burns). I get Fruit of the Earth (http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Earth-100%25-Alow-Vera/dp/B0009VNI40) brand, it comes in a clear bottle with a blue cap. I can usually find it in my supermarket, on a bottom shelf in the hair styling section. It took me a while to find it. :)

~*Red*~
01-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Have you tried setting your hair wet with NO setting lotion? Some people don't need it. here is a short explanation....When the hair is wet (as in, after a shampoo), the side binds are broken and you can form your curl, (pin curl, roller set, etc). What re shapes it, is when it dries completely. It has new bonds formed. It helps even more if you dry it with heat and then it cools. but you don't always need to use setting lotion. Lately, I've been setting my hair with nothing and I can keep the curl going for over a week, just by re curling it at night before bed.

It may be worth the try, especially if you have trouble hair in a state you now prefer.

Lola Getz
01-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Okay, this is how you know you spend too much time in the Beauty forum:

I had a dream about setting lotion last night! I dreamt about a vintage brand being shown on television and I was so excited, I ran around telling my husband, "I have to try that setting lotion!" Good grief, I need to get out more.

~*Red*~
01-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Okay, this is how you know you spend too much time in the Beauty forum:

I had a dream about setting lotion last night! I dreamt about a vintage brand being shown on television and I was so excited, I ran around telling my husband, "I have to try that setting lotion!" Good grief, I need to get out more.

lol lol lol
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one that this happens too...lol

sweetfrancaise
01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Have you tried setting your hair wet with NO setting lotion? Some people don't need it. here is a short explanation....When the hair is wet (as in, after a shampoo), the side binds are broken and you can form your curl, (pin curl, roller set, etc). What re shapes it, is when it dries completely. It has new bonds formed. It helps even more if you dry it with heat and then it cools. but you don't always need to use setting lotion. Lately, I've been setting my hair with nothing and I can keep the curl going for over a week, just by re curling it at night before bed.

It may be worth the try, especially if you have trouble hair in a state you now prefer.

Oh, good point! Thank you for that info. I'll try that soon, see if it works! (Red, your advice is always so valuable. I'm so glad to have met you on FL.) And Josephine, thank you for the aloe vera advice! I may dip into that if my hair is still too unruly.

~*Red*~
01-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Oh, good point! Thank you for that info. I'll try that soon, see if it works! (Red, your advice is always so valuable. I'm so glad to have met you on FL.) And Josephine, thank you for the aloe vera advice! I may dip into that if my hair is still too unruly.

Sweet Francaise, You are most welcome! And I feel the same about you and many others on this board! I'll be interested to see how your trials go! And that was a great idea with the Aloe Vera, Josephine!, I have seen that in the styling section before and have been curious about it. Sweet Francaise, I hope it turns out well for you!:D

Goldfish
01-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, I know that I NEED a styling product, or else any waves will have hung out after a few hours... but setting lotion seems to be better for your hair than styling gel or hairspray, I just don't know if I am right?

Would be great if a hairstyle lasta 1-3 days with it!

~*Red*~
01-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think they are all one in the same when it comes down it. Just different strengths, for different hold. I used Dippity Do gel on my mannequin head for waves and curls, and it holds stiff as can be, but at the same time, brushes out with no flakes, and still looks nice. I really think it is more about which product does best for it's job. The only way you find out is trial and error. I hope you find something that works best for you! :D

paula
01-24-2008, 06:35 AM
for anyone in the UK/Ireland:

i bought a cheapo Boots own brand thingy last week, it's simply called "styling spray" i think,it's in a clear plastic bottle with a blue liquid that looks a bit like a dodgy alcho-pop.
i washed my hair tuesday night,blow dried it to about 90% dry,then set it in sponge rollers overnight, spraying each section and combing it through.
my sets usually last about 3 hours, but its thursday now and my hair looks even better than yesterday, and withstood my incredibly sweaty first swing lesson last night!
the way it's looking, i reckon i would get another day out of the set.
i have greasy hair and usually need to wash my hair every day, but this miracle liquid seems to have dried my hair out and held the curl wonderfully.
plus, it cost about Ǩ1.50!

p x

NoirDame
01-24-2008, 07:18 AM
My hair can last three days without a setting lotion. I just bought one to try. (Lotta Body) We shall see what happens!

TheKitschGoth
01-24-2008, 08:02 AM

i bought a cheapo Boots own brand thingy last week, it's simply called "styling spray" i think,it's in a clear plastic bottle with a blue liquid that looks a bit like a dodgy alcho-pop.
i washed my hair tuesday night,blow dried it to about 90% dry,then set it in sponge rollers overnight, spraying each section and combing it through.
my sets usually last about 3 hours, but its thursday now and my hair looks even better than yesterday, and withstood my incredibly sweaty first swing lesson last night!
i have greasy hair and usually need to wash my hair every day, but this miracle liquid seems to have dried my hair out and held the curl wonderfully.

p x

Oooh thankyou for that, good thing I'm going shopping on Saturday!

paula
01-25-2008, 09:33 AM
for the record - its friday and still curly!

desi_de_lu_lu
01-25-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't know for sure, but I think they are all one in the same when it comes down it. Just different strengths, for different hold. I used Dippity Do gel on my mannequin head for waves and curls, and it holds stiff as can be, but at the same time, brushes out with no flakes, and still looks nice. I really think it is more about which product does best for it's job. The only way you find out is trial and error. I hope you find something that works best for you! :D

I have often wondered about the Dippity Do gel. I have seen gallon tubs of it at sally's and wondered if it flaked when dry?

Lotta body and other setting lotions don't work with me... i wanted to try Dippity Do.

Would you use it on your own hair?

~*Red*~
01-25-2008, 11:51 AM
I have often wondered about the Dippity Do gel. I have seen gallon tubs of it at sally's and wondered if it flaked when dry?

Lotta body and other setting lotions don't work with me... i wanted to try Dippity Do.

Yes I would. In fact, just last weekend, I did a wet pincurl set, not with Dippity Do, but with Proclaim Crystal Ice gel. Her hair was quite soft after I took out the curls and brushed it. It works nicely. I have a thing about colored gels... I will use them on dark hair, not on light hair. It probably doesn't make a difference, but just to be on the safe side.. (in my head:rolleyes: ) And for waves, that brown protein gel is a must! (on dark hair...still the whole thing about color)

desi_de_lu_lu
01-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Yes I would. In fact, just last weekend, I did a wet pincurl set, not with Dippity Do, but with Proclaim Crystal Ice gel. Her hair was quite soft after I took out the curls and brushed it. It works nicely. I have a thing about colored gels... I will use them on dark hair, not on light hair. It probably doesn't make a difference, but just to be on the safe side.. (in my head:rolleyes: ) And for waves, that brown protein gel is a must! (on dark hair...still the whole thing about color)

Ironically I have some of that Proclaim Crystal Ice gel. It makes hair very shiny.

I just didn't think it has any staying power. If Dippity Do holds like mortar, I am all over it.

~*Red*~
01-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Ironically I have some of that Proclaim Crystal Ice gel. It makes hair very shiny.

I just didn't think it has any staying power. If Dippity Do holds like mortar, I am all over it.

I used quite a bit.. but no kidding, I did waves and spit curls, then air dried... it stuck like glue. (yet brushed out easily when I finally gave it a go;) ) Damn, I should have taken a picture:rolleyes: ..

Smuterella
02-01-2008, 08:16 AM

p x

I have this and its working!

Aorta
04-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Tomorrow, I'll head for a beauty supply store. I don't know if the Lottabody lotion is available in Germany. What would be an appropriate alternative? I have fine, stick-straight hair and I would like to have a lotion that works well for pin curls and hot rollers. Any recommendations, ladies?

Smuterella
04-17-2008, 04:46 AM
has anyone tried this, its expensive!

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P201425&categoryId=B70

RetroModelSari
04-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Tomorrow, I'll head for a beauty supply store. I don't know if I the Lottabody lotion is available in Germany. What would be an appropriate alternative? I have fine, stick-straight hair and I would like to have a lotion that works well for pin curls and hot rollers. Any recommendations, ladies?

You can get it in Afro-shops. And if theres none near you you can still go to www.afroshop.org Thats where I got mine (Beware: Shipping is almost as much as the item itself). Welcome on board fellow-German!

Aorta
04-17-2008, 06:52 AM
Ah, thank you, Sari. Fortunately, there are several afro-shops in Stuttgart, so I should get the lotion :-).

kerry
04-17-2008, 03:02 PM
For the UK ladies. Tescos have just started stocking their own brand setting lotion. I used it yesterday and its ok. 1.29 for 150ml. I'll keep you posted on how long the set lasts.
Kerry x

MissS
04-17-2008, 03:19 PM
has anyone tried this, its expensive!

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P201425&categoryId=B70

Eeek, Smuterella, it is pricey - but oh, so lovely packaging! (Yes, I'm a marketing company's dream!) Don't do it, I say - it's limited edition, and nothing more frustrating than falling in love with a product, then not being able to buy it again!

cherry lips
04-18-2008, 03:53 AM
BelowyourBeauty I love your avatar! *swoon*

MissS
04-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Oh, yay! I found Lottabody here in Australia! For the ladies downunder in Sydney, you can find it at Fatima's (african hair salon) in Enmore Road, Enmore. Can't wait to give it a try!

kerry
04-21-2008, 01:41 PM
For the UK ladies. Tescos have just started stocking their own brand setting lotion. I used it yesterday and its ok. 1.29 for 150ml. I'll keep you posted on how long the set lasts.
Kerry x

Okay, Ive used it for a couple of sets and it doesn't hold very well. I wont be buying it again:(

shamrocq
04-23-2008, 01:34 AM
anyone knows the difference between setting and sculpting lotion? i can't get lottabody here. major brands here don't really have a product with the word 'setting lotion' on it, but i see a lot of sculpting lotion though

glamour-girl
04-23-2008, 03:31 AM
i know what you mean, it's difficult to find thease products here as well. schulpting lotion has more of a waxy texture to it, rather than liquid, so it might be a bit difficult to create curles with. loreal has a special spray for creating curls but i'v forgotten what it's called (it comes in a little pink bottle).
you can also try using hairspray sparingly before setting curls, doesn't have the same effect though .

SarahLouise
04-23-2008, 03:25 PM
If you're having trouble finding setting lotion and have Pantene over there, I really recommend their curl creating gel spray. I use it more than Lottabody and actually prefer it as the results are less crispy.

shamrocq
04-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, Sarah. UNfortunately the Pantene range they sell here is only limited to shampoos and conditioners. glamour-girl, have you tried that Loreal's pink bottle curl lotion. What I know about it was it's good for heat activated curls like either using hot rollers or curling thong. i'm looking for a lotion that's good for a wet set. and I know what you mean my waxy feeling, because I tried Paul Mitchell's Sculpting Lotion for a wet set, it's really hard to brush it out as the comb get stuck in the hair. it say 'brushable' though on the bottle and leaves no flakes. only it's very 'oily' like.

the styling brands i seen sold here are more like Sebastian, Schwarzkoft, Loreal, Wella, BedHead, Paul Mitchell, Joico. No Revlon hair products here otherwise might have chance for Lottabody.

I tried using Sebastians High Contrast Gel and 'drenched' my hair with it. the curls didn't turn out and i got a 'oily' head the whole day. I'm really curious as how a real setting lotion feels like. and oh, the Paul Mitchell sculpting lotion is very watery also and dries to a sticky texture.

cherry lips
04-24-2008, 01:10 AM
shamrocq have you tried wella "wellaflex (hydro style) form and volume spray (strong hold)"? It's a setting lotion that has worked well for me, both for hot and wet sets. good luck!

Aorta
04-24-2008, 03:19 AM
I just wanted to thank all the ladies who recommended the Lottabody Lotion. I did pin curls yesterday for the very first time and the lotion helped me a lot. All I need now is practice, practice, practice :). I also like the setting lotion for blow-drying, it makes the hair very soft and shiny.

shamrocq
04-25-2008, 02:02 AM
thanks cherry lips. i will take note of whether they have wellaflex range here. we have wella high hair though. thanks again

kamikat
07-31-2008, 04:58 AM
For those who use Lottabody, what is your mixing ratio? I've tried the standard 2 parts water to 1 part Lottabody as written on the bottle, but I'm not happy with it. While the set looks good the first day, it's just not holding up. When I use Paul Mitchell supersculpt, it doesn't look as nice the first day, but holds the set for 2-3 days.

ShesSoVaVaVoom
08-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I use the AG liquid effects extra-firm styling lotion, it works great for me, though if I use toooo much it looks almost as though I have a light gel in my hair, but if I comb it out a little it sets my natural waves perfectly. I've never had a problem with it flaking... but it's good for wet or dry styling (if you're blowdrying, not styling while dry). you've got to find it at a salon though, they don't sell it at regular beauty shops. I give it a thumbs up! (at least for my hair type which is fine and wavy).

desi_de_lu_lu
08-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Proclaim Setting Lotion - 4 thumbs down. :rage: I had some surplus of this, can't remember who bought it for me and it is basically too heavy, doesn't hold the curl and has no staying power what so ever. Also, gives hair a dull sheen.

http://www.beautyriot.com/stuff/images/articles/approve/3528_4298_Proclaim-setting-lotion.jpg

Lottabody cream wrap: :eusa_clap
http://www.lottabody.com/images/prod_lottabody03.jpg

I gave my hair a good creaming with this and then set it. I had amazing results...it is a lightweight formula so it dried extra fast.. faster than the liquid lottabody which I mix in a 50/50 ratio with my detangler... but I leave the wet set on much longer.

If you can find the cream wrap, give it a go...

Inky
08-22-2008, 03:14 PM
[/IMG]
I gave my hair a good creaming with this and then set it. I had amazing results...it is a lightweight formula so it dried extra fast.. faster than the liquid lottabody which I mix in a 50/50 ratio with my detangler... but I leave the wet set on much longer.

If you can find the cream wrap, give it a go...

I've used the Proclaim Thermal Spray and it leaves my hair all crunchy, but holds a hot roller set for a few days on me.

I'm gonna keep my eye out for that creme - looks like a good option. I use the LottaBody (which sounds like a Burlesque star's name every time I hear it) 50/50 too.

desi_de_lu_lu
08-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I've used the Proclaim Thermal Spray and it leaves my hair all crunchy, but holds a hot roller set for a few days on me.

I'm gonna keep my eye out for that creme - looks like a good option. I use the LottaBody (which sounds like a Burlesque star's name every time I hear it) 50/50 too.

I bet the thermal spray would be better, I don't know if the formulation is the same.

The setting lotion smells like watermelon..sort of.

LizzieMaine
08-23-2008, 06:48 AM
For those who use Lottabody, what is your mixing ratio? I've tried the standard 2 parts water to 1 part Lottabody as written on the bottle, but I'm not happy with it. While the set looks good the first day, it's just not holding up. When I use Paul Mitchell supersculpt, it doesn't look as nice the first day, but holds the set for 2-3 days.

I've gone anywhere from 3 to 1 to 1 to 1 depending on how humid it is outside. During the summer I tend to go to a thicker mixture, but during the winter when the air is dry I can get away with using a lot less.

I don't think the bottle labeling is a hard and fast rule -- more of an average, so feel free to play around with it until you hit a mixture that works for you.

PS
08-23-2008, 07:11 AM
How do you "manage" your lottabody? It seems to spurt out of the spray bottle, and I've tried several. Right now its shelved because I have no idea how to avoid wearing it everywhere but my hair!

LizzieMaine
08-23-2008, 07:54 AM
How do you "manage" your lottabody? It seems to spurt out of the spray bottle, and I've tried several. Right now its shelved because I have no idea how to avoid wearing it everywhere but my hair!

This is a common problem -- the stuff just doesn't spray well. I've gotten it to sort of work in a sprayer by setting the opening to "stream" and then squirting it out with short bursts -- it will *not* come out in a fine mist, no matter what you try because the liquid is just too dense, so short, sharp squirts spread over the head is the only way to go.

Another thing worth trying is to use a Golden Era gadget called an ironing bottle. This is simply an old Coke bottle or something similar fitted with a plastic or aluminum stopper pierced with holes. It's used to moisten laundry when ironing with a non-steam iron, but it can also be used to sprinkle any other liquid. You have to shake hard to get it to work well with Lottabody, but it does work. Just shake it out of the bottle onto a comb, and comb the liquid into your hair, and then set as usual.

Smuterella
08-23-2008, 08:19 AM
I mix it in an old jam jar and just dip my comb in, the once set spray the hair with a much thinner solution all over

Josephine
08-23-2008, 09:06 AM
How do you "manage" your lottabody?

After I mix my ratio, I would flip my head upside down, pour some into my hands, and run my hands through my hair. This way works better on short hair.

Laura Chase
08-23-2008, 10:46 AM
I mix it in an old jam jar and just dip my comb in, the once set spray the hair with a much thinner solution all over

This works really good for me too, and I also use a tall jam jar, more specifically a St. Dalfour jam jar (and the marmelade is really yummy too!). :D

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/582168b.jpg

jessicarabbit
09-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh, yay! I found Lottabody here in Australia! For the ladies downunder in Sydney, you can find it at Fatima's (african hair salon) in Enmore Road, Enmore. Can't wait to give it a try!

thanks MissS! there's an african hair salon in parramatta which might sell it too so I'll report back.

swinggal
09-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Awesome! I've always had to buy it from the US before and postage is a killer. When I was in the US in 2006 I bought heaps home with me. Was quite cheap. Bet it isnt here.

I have found that for it to work the best you must do a total wet set for finger waves and rolls and then dry it overnight or under a hood. I don't water it down as much either so it is stronger. When you brush it our it leaves soft waves and curls.

MissS
09-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Aussie gals, it was $15 for the 355ml bottle in Newtown. If you can't get your hands on any, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to pick it up and post it to you.

swinggal
09-11-2008, 10:57 PM
It's about $5AUD in the US so the $15 prolly has that included as they had to ship it out. It's worth it though. I got 2 HUGE bottles plus postage a few year back for $40AUD from the US.

jessicarabbit
09-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm so excited. I found a huge bottle of lottabody at the african hair salon I mentioned. I can't wait to try it out!

jessicarabbit
09-24-2008, 08:01 PM
I am in love with this stuff.

I'm wondering if it would work if I did a wet set with velcro rollers in the morning, left it to dry all day and then took it out that night?

Bubble Cheeks
09-25-2008, 06:25 AM
OK... I owe you ladies a HUUUUUGE thank you.

I read about Lottabody on here last week (Im a newbie) and I walked over to my local supply store a few blocks away. They had TONS of it, in the regular bottles, as well as these massive gallon JUGS. I bought the regular bottle to try it out.

Here's the thing: I have always had really oily hair and skin. I have had to wash my hair every day, because if I even skipped ONE day... even ONE... it would look like I didn't wash my hair in a WEEK. The strands would clump together in an oily stringy way. So I had to set my hair every night. SO exhausting!

Well, what a fun surprise when I tried the Lottabody. I thought that it would just help hold a curl, which it DID. But the even more wonderful surprise, for me, was that it made my hair softer, and yet much less oily! Suddenly, the day AFTER shampooing, I could run my fingers through my hair, and it would feel like normal hair! Now I can put a sleeping cap on, and sleep with my curls I achieved from pincurling the previous day, without having to set them every night. I can wake up now with styled hair! To not have to shampoo and pin every single night... This is SO exciting for me, you have no idea. (Unless you do). ;)

It dried out the oil without drying out my hair. Actually, my hair feels softer! I've been to a doctor for this problem before, who just put me on a special diet that did little to nothing for my oily skin. But just a little bit of Lottabody worked WONDERS! Thank goodness I can find it a short walk away from my front door. And thank goodness for all of you ladies! It's been under my nose at my local beauty supply store that I shop in all of the time, and I just never noticed it there because I never heard about it before!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! :D

KittyT
09-25-2008, 06:43 AM

I keep it in a jar. I don't dip my comb in, though, because I find that puts too much lotion in my hair and it gets flakey. I just dip my fingers in and then spread it through the piece of hair I'm rolling at that moment. I add a little pomade for shine, and then comb it through with a fine-toothed comb.

Also, combing through til the piece of hair is taut is called "ribboning" and it's supposed to help you get a better curl.

Tatum
09-25-2008, 08:34 PM
To not have to shampoo and pin every single night... This is SO exciting for me, you have no idea. (Unless you do). ;)

I know the feeling too! No more greasy hair. Wonderful, isn't it? :D

StaceFace
10-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I make my own setting lotion with flax seed. Time consuming but I prefer it to using store bought stuff, as I've also tried a couple of setting lotions from Boots. My Mum keeps eating my flaxseed though :mad:

How ironic! I work at a veterans' home and I was talking to one of the residents today about pincurl and fingerwave sets, as well as setting lotions. She was a beautician during the Golden Era (she's 92!) and was telling me how she used to make a paste from flax seeds. I found a recipe here:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/flax-seeds-body-scrub-hair-gel.html

LelaViavonie
10-09-2008, 01:26 PM
WOW... now thats something... I dont know if I could go without eating it too.. so I may just want to keep buying the stuff :p

Miss 1929
11-12-2008, 08:19 PM
I just bought some, and it's fabulous. I haven't actually done a set with it yet, but just put some on my hair after washing it and let it dry (I have curly hair) and it enhances the curl a bit, and keeps it in! For days! And even thought I have dry hair, it did nothing noticeable in the way of drying it out - it feels great. I hope to attempt a true pincurl set this weekend.
And I have mine in an old jam jar too, but with an art deco Waving Lotion label pasted on it... the label started me on the quest for the lotion!

Red Diabla
12-03-2008, 12:33 PM
...and I have an observation or two...

I mainly did pincurls, and found that the Lottabody made my hair much more slippery to deal with. Which made forming the curls and pinning them down a more, uh, interesting challenge than using the mousse/hairspray combo I used before.

So is the slipperiness something that's the usual? Btw, I went 50/50 on the Lottabody/water ratio. I also ended up using twice the amount of pins that I needed before. Argh!

I left in the pins overnight and my hair is definitely curly today! Luckily I used a wide-tooth comb which has cut down on the frizz when combing everything out. I concur on everyone else's comments about how soft the Lottabody makes the hair!

I won't get to test how durable the curls are until later today when I go to roller derby practice. That should be fun!

RD

KittyT
12-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I won't get to test how durable the curls are until later today when I go to roller derby practice. That should be fun!

Doesn't really matter what you use on your hair - it will not stand up to a sweaty skate helmet.

BombshellBella
12-20-2008, 11:05 PM
I have bought Lottabody two days ago and I just set it in pin curls... Im excited to see what all the jazz about setting lotion is, I never even heard of it until I read this thread... Im excited to see if it works better than my usual mouse and hairspray.

Red Diabla
12-22-2008, 12:15 AM
I have bought Lottabody two days ago and I just set it in pin curls... Im excited to see what all the jazz about setting lotion is, I never even heard of it until I read this thread... Im excited to see if it works better than my usual mouse and hairspray.

And the results are..? :)

The one time I've used the setting lotion, my hair didn't get dry enough, so I had to supplement with a curling iron. Since then due to time constraints I've used mousse/gel/hairspray/curling iron combo. Doesn't keep the curl like I see the other ladies here do! I'm jealous, but in the best possible way. :D

RD

Paisley
02-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Has anyone ever tried using Lottabody with a curling iron or hot roller set?

BTW, I just used Lottabody on my mom's hair. It looked good and her hair felt soft--not sticky or stiff at all. :)

RitaHayworth
02-21-2009, 08:04 PM

Hmmm. Maybe this is how I need to entice the hot man who works on the floor above me?!

Lillemor
03-04-2009, 07:48 AM
I've just realized that I can buy it online from Matas which I will in the near future so now I don't have to keep an eye on when the nearest Matas shops have it in stock.:)

crazydaisy
03-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Does anyone know where you can buy lottabody in the UK? Found it in a couple of places online, but the postage was exorbitant for my kind of money!

Fleur De Guerre
03-04-2009, 08:14 AM
ebay! edit: doesn't look like there's any on there at the moment, but there is usually.

crazydaisy
03-04-2009, 08:28 AM
thanks Fleur, so far I could only see it on ebay available from the states, with yet too expensive a shipping price, but I'll keep looking!

RitaHayworth
03-08-2009, 04:18 PM
found this article:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2138452_use-grandmas-secret-setting-lotion.html

kyda
03-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Hey swinggal, is there any where in wa that we can get setting lotion or do we have to get it from the eastern states???????

jacqueline101
04-02-2009, 09:43 AM
My hair is fine but i have a ton of it. i like to use rollers my hair wont curl with a curling iron.

StaceFace
04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
My hair is fine but i have a ton of it. i like to use rollers my hair wont curl with a curling iron.

It should work just fine. I just wouldn't use copious amounts (like with any product). I guess you could say my hair is like yours--not super thick, but I have a lot, and I use Lottabody. The bottle I bought--undiluted at Sally Beauty--said to dilute to half strength or whatever, but I only put maybe 1/4 cup of water in it and it works fine. What type of rollers are you using?

DaisieWilde
04-08-2009, 08:01 AM
I've been using beer as a setting lotion for the past few days. I wash my hair as usual and poor half a can over my head. It smells like beer until it dries. But I tell you...it's been working like mad for my curls the next day. My curls stayed in ALL DAY yesterday.
I've heard two way of using it...either rinsing it out or leaving it in. I leave it in. No beer smell the next day.

I've been keeping a 12 pack in the bathroom. :p

miss_killin
04-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I picked up Lottabody today at Sallys, can't wait to try my first pincurls tonight :D

Shirin
05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I use Proclaim setting lotion for my pincurls. This one,
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Proclaim-Setting-Lotion/SBS-631060,default,pd.html
I read that a bunch of you ladies had bad experiences with other Proclaim products which I haven't tried, but I wanted to testify that this particular setting lotion (liquid actually) leaves my hair soft, shiny and curly for 3 days. At which time, I wash it out because my hair starts to get oily. But anyway, its cheap, $3.59 for a 32 oz bottle, and it works beautifully. The only thing that I don't like is it will not spray out of ANY bottles like a mist, I guess because the stuff is too heavy for that (I have to comb it in). I have very soft/fine, not thick, straight hair, if you all needed that info.

crwritt
07-13-2009, 05:12 PM

We used the pink Dippity Do as kids. My sister and I have thick wavy hair. Mom set it on sponge rollers. We would take turns under the bonnet hair dryer, then sleep with the rollers in. It never flaked, and our hair was pretty for church on sunday.

Inky
07-13-2009, 05:14 PM
We used the pink Dippity Do as kids. My sister and I have thick wavy hair. Mom set it on sponge rollers. We would take turns under the bonnet hair dryer, then sleep with the rollers in. It never flaked, and our hair was pretty for church on sunday.

oh my gosh, crwritt - you just brought back serious memories for me. I hadn't thought about Dippity Do in DECADES! it really did work, that is true!!

ladybrettashley
07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
I read through all of this, but i'm still not sure what to do if you want to curl...well, curly hair.

I guess the issue is taming it, rather than curling it; making the curls go where i want is the hard part. So far it's been luck of the draw, and about once a month i just happen to wake up with great hair. The rest of the time it's either too frizzy or working towards dread locks.

I tried pin curls the other day, just for fun. They looked nice and ringletey, but clumpy when i took them out. But the moment i tried to brush them out, my hair poufed up to three times the size of my head. Normally i wouldn't dare brush my hair dry (or, as dry as it would get all wrapped up) for the same reason.

Would a setting lotion like Lottabody help the poufing as well as the curling? Is it something else about the process? My hair is about to my "back belly-button" dry - is it too long to style this way? It seems like very long hair was extremely uncommon in the 30/40s, with the notable exception of Veronica Lake.

Sorry if this is all kind of elementary; i've never done anything with my hair before but wash and condition it, and wear it down or in a bun.

Inky
07-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi ladybrettashley! most people absolutely freak out when they first take the pin curls (or curlers) out and start brushing because everything initially does get poofy. I have thick, coarse frizzy hair but can still manage a (reasonably) smooth curl. my hair is much shorter than yours though. I have had hair down to past my fanny before and it will be much harder for you to do, but not impossible.

Fleur de Guerre recently did a tutorial (http://diaryofavintagegirl.blogspot.com/2009/06/40s-hair-with-hot-sticks-tutorial.html)on 10 minute 40's hair with hot sticks and even though it may not be the style you are after, it's worth watching because she shows how things look when you first start brushing and how poofy hair gets. The secret to a good style is all in the brush out!

And to actually answer your question, yes, a setting lotion does help keep things smooth, but most of us also use a frizz serum (like Frizz Ease or something of the sort) as well.

edited to add: this might also be useful - the vintage hair live journal "long hair" tag: http://community.livejournal.com/vintagehair/tag/long+hair

ladybrettashley
07-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh, thank you, Inky!

Yes, i must admit that there is nothing to make me panic like my hair poofing out. Must be related to growing up with frizzy hair in 100% humidity (when all i really wanted at the time was boy's hair anyhow). I'll have to try it again, and i'll try to persevere this time. ;)

That is a great tutorial, Fleur. I tried to look a few lessons up on youtube for my first attempt, but it's awfully hard to find anything worthwhile without some guidance.

Christy
07-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Fleur de Guerre recently did a tutorial (http://diaryofavintagegirl.blogspot.com/2009/06/40s-hair-with-hot-sticks-tutorial.html)on 10 minute 40's hair with hot sticks and even though it may not be the style you are after, it's worth watching because she shows how things look when you first start brushing and how poofy hair gets. The secret to a good style is all in the brush out!

And to actually answer your question, yes, a setting lotion does help keep things smooth, but most of us also use a frizz serum (like Frizz Ease or something of the sort) as well.

Thanks for posting Fleur de Guerre's tutorial, it was really helpful and I've never seen the hot sticks before, I'll have to get some! I usually use sponge curlers but my hair gets so frizzy because I have naturally curly hair so it frizzes when it dries naturally. I haven't used a setting lotion, I just never got around to buying it, it looks like that's what I've been missing.

analiebe
08-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Well, my Lottabody arrived form the US yesterday. I'll tell you how it goes. Am trying a wet set this weekend for big dance on Saturday night. Thanks again for the tip gals. :)

hello swinggal... just wondering where you ordered from online.... ( i'm another australian gal frustrated at not being able to get lotta body here)

cheers

LisaFreemontSt
08-28-2009, 08:29 AM
I ordered my Lottabody on ebay and I am posting a video review today. I am more than pleased...humid wet weather yesterday and my hairstyle took perfectly. The curls were springy and light...easy to brush...no frizz. I had used sponge rollers...haven't tried it w/ pincurls yet. I'm officially a fan!:eusa_clap

Blondie
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
For the Aussie gals
Wavol is THE BEST setting lotion, i am suprised its not available world wide,
i have been using this for many many many years and swear by it !

http://www.wavol.com.au/prod/120

analiebe
08-30-2009, 07:48 AM
thank you so much blondie... you've made my day!! and one of the melbourne stockists is just a 10 minute bicycle ride away... i can't believe i've never heard of wavol and so pleased i'm not going to have to spend a fortune on shipping lottabody from the states!
have a wonderful week lovely lady and i'll be sure to let know know how it works for me

again, THANK YOU! :eusa_clap
xa

For the Aussie gals
Wavol is THE BEST setting lotion, i am suprised its not available world wide,
i have been using this for many many many years and swear by it !

http://www.wavol.com.au/prod/120

MarieAnne
12-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm in Ontario and I can't find any setting lotion....I'm in Ontario and a nearby Rexall has an ethnic hair section which looks well stocked but I haven't found any wrap lotion, or setting lotion. I'm not even sure what to look for. I'm using an orange dippity-do. My sets only last one day and sometimes I get flakes:eek: ! How is 'setting lotion' different from hairspray? I know how their use differs but how are they different, chemically? I found Final Net, is that like setting lotion?

texasgirl
12-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I use one that is a thermal setting spray, but it works great with no heat too. Not sure if this brand is sold up there- I buy it at Ulta.

http://www.matrix.com/products/biolage/styling/thermal_activating_spray.aspx

MrSpadesGirl
12-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I use one that is a thermal setting spray, but it works great with no heat too. Not sure if this brand is sold up there- I buy it at Ulta.

http://www.matrix.com/products/biolage/styling/thermal_activating_spray.aspx

I use this, too. It's a good product.

MarieAnne
12-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I ordered LottaBody! It should be here in 5-11 days. I can't wait!

kymeratale
12-27-2009, 11:33 PM
So, my fellow Canadians, can we get Lottabody in a store up here? I checked the ethnic section at Rexall and they didn't have it. I know Shopper's doesn't carry it. Any suggestions? Ordering stuff from the States can be such a pain and $$.

How about for a beauty supply store like Sally's? Do we have such things up here? I have tried googling with no luck. I would like to find a bonnet dryer, but have no idea where to look.

MarieAnne
01-02-2010, 09:30 AM
I would just open up your yellow pages to the beauty supplies page and start calling. Ask them if they carry setting lotion and what brand? Be prepared to explain what setting lotion is. I found Vitalong setting lotion this way (it works alright but I think it is very different from the Lottabody setting lotion, I'll explain later). I also ordered some Lottabody from MyHouseofBeauty and the price and shipping weren't too bad.

cecil
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
hello swinggal... just wondering where you ordered from online.... ( i'm another australian gal frustrated at not being able to get lotta body here)

cheers

This is an older post, but so many Aussies feel that they can't get Lottabody that I have to repeat that you'll find it at pretty much any African hair salon/supply shop. It was mentioned a few pages back, too.

kymeratale
01-06-2010, 12:09 AM
I would just open up your yellow pages to the beauty supplies page and start calling. Ask them if they carry setting lotion and what brand? Be prepared to explain what setting lotion is. I found Vitalong setting lotion this way (it works alright but I think it is very different from the Lottabody setting lotion, I'll explain later). I also ordered some Lottabody from MyHouseofBeauty and the price and shipping weren't too bad.

Ha, the phone book! Who would have thunk. Only reason I still have one is because it just magically turns up on my doorstep. Turns out there is a Sally's in town. I will have to make a field trip for pin curl clips, setting lotion and to check out some bonnet dryers.

Whee!:eusa_clap

AnniePancake
02-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Hey there, i'm Annie and i am very VERY painfully new to this,
the whole forum thing and the vintage thing

well not so much the vintage thing, but more actually recognising which decade things happened and are from, etc!

I'm only 15, but WHATEVER

back onto what i was actually talking about

So i've been reading up on how to create different hairstyles, pincurls, finger waves, etc and i keep seeing 'Setting Lotions' and similar terms.

so, What is it??
And should i use it - and how?

Also, i have pretty darn curly hair so its fairly difficult to get it to look right with the looser curls and stuff

so basically
Are they any good, do you have any recoomendations, and what do they actually do?

Thanks in advance! :)

xxx

LizzieMaine
02-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Welcome to the Lounge!

I've merged your post into the All Time Ultimate Setting Lotion thread, which will tell you everything you need to know. If you do a search for "Lottabody," you'll find even more information, but this thread here is the best place to start.

Good luck!

Mr DP
02-16-2010, 11:59 AM
If you ladies would like to experience a "true" vintage setting lotion, then my suggestion would be Dryfast Concentrate. This product has been around for well OVER 60 years! This 8oz bottle will yield a gallon of product and you shouldn't have to pay more than 7-10.00. Dryfast is perfect for finger waves, pin curls and magnetic rollers. Dry fast is never stiff or sticky, yet has the working consistency of watery snot...LOL, sorry best description I can think of, it greatly helps to keep the ends of carved pincurls(ribboned) from separating, and is amazing for magnetics. Fans of Lotta Body should love this. Best of all, made from organic natural gum. http://www.bestbeautyworld.com/dry10010.html

SugarKitten
02-17-2010, 12:55 PM
So luckily I live three doors down from an ethnic hair supply shop, and the owner not only had lottabody, but told me all about using it. My first set with no lotion on plain old dry hair was a bit of a wreck, but the second... what a difference!

Things I learned:
- You all weren't kidding, it's slippery!
- I needed way less of it than I expected
- When a was just dampening my hair, I could make a mohawk (who knew?)
- My hair does not like it when I sleep with it in

I diluted into a little bowl since I didn't have an extra spritz bottle, and probably made enough for ten sets. Oops. My hair isn't long, but I thought it was thick enough to need more... well, a lot. I dropped rollers, pins, the comb, and everything else while using it. Even wet, my hair could stand nearly on end with it in (My hair is collar length?) I finally to managed to roll all of my hair (a first), and when I took the rollers out, my hair went right back in the curl like the rollers were still there.

So - this stuff is magic!

I destroyed my set by sleeping on it, but I noticed the back of my neck was just a hint red and tender when I woke up. I'm a very restless sleeper, so I guess the stiffer hair rubbed. Is that the best answer? It didn't react on my scalp or anything. Anyone else have that issue?

DaisieWilde
03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
So I'm caving and ordering this from Sally Beauty. I've had too many pin curl sets go floppy by the end of the day.

Does this make your hair sticky at all or cause your skin to breakout?
I haven't been using anything to set my hair.

MarieAnne
03-02-2010, 10:59 AM
I've had sticky hair from it but it's only because I used too much.

DaisieWilde
03-03-2010, 02:05 PM
I always use too much of everything...haha. Thanks MarieAnne!

I'm excited to finally get my hands on this. Sounds like a trip to Sally's is in order.

Do you find with a setting lotion you also need hairspray? I'm hoping a setting lotion will rid the need of dousing my hair in spray/mousse/etc.

When I go rockabilly I usually have to use a lot of hairspray...so that's unavoidable...but I'm hoping for a simply brush out pincurl set the setting lotion will do it.

MarieAnne
03-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Ha, the phone book! Who would have thunk. Only reason I still have one is because it just magically turns up on my doorstep. Turns out there is a Sally's in town. I will have to make a field trip for pin curl clips, setting lotion and to check out some bonnet dryers.

Whee!:eusa_clap

Hey, how was your trip to Sally's? Ottawa is about two hours away and I'm thinking of visiting the Sally's because I want one of THESE (http://bobbypinblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/tool-to-help-for-victory-roll.html). I want all three sizes actually....How well stocked was the location? The website doesn't ship internationally so it's my only hope! Maybe I'll give them a call....

kymeratale
03-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Hey, how was your trip to Sally's? Ottawa is about two hours away and I'm thinking of visiting the Sally's because I want one of THESE (http://bobbypinblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/tool-to-help-for-victory-roll.html). I want all three sizes actually....How well stocked was the location? The website doesn't ship internationally so it's my only hope! Maybe I'll give them a call....

Hi MarieAnne,

I was just going through the brush section and I am pretty sure they had some of those. The brush selection was pretty complete. I picked up a boar bristle teaser brush and have found it is great for brushing out smaller sections without tangling up the stuff that gets in the way. I will pop in on my way by next time (it is close to my house) and double check that they have them. That one isn't terribly large, but I have found everything I needed there. The one on Merivale Rd might be bigger with more selection.

Are you coming up to Ottawa anyway, or would you be making a special trip? If you're coming up anyway, let me know when and we could check out a couple of vintage stores in town. If you would be coming up just to go to Sally's, I could save you the trip and pick the brushes up for you and mail them down.

They do have the Lottabody, if you can't find it locally.

Cheers,
Ruthanne

DaisieWilde
03-15-2010, 10:32 AM
I made the journey to Sallys this weekend and WOWZA! I spent a good penny and my pocketbook is quite a bit lighter in the money department.

I actually didn't buy Lottabody, I went with another suggestion from a few tutorials on youtube by Lisa Freemont Street.

I bought the Motions Wrap Lotion. It is FANTASTIC and you don't have to dilute anything. It comes in a convenient pump and it's a light, foamy product (liquid in the bottle, but it foams when you pump it out). The smell is actually familiar to me. I used to have a curl spritz that I bought waaay back when I was a college student in Ann Arbor from a local salon. This is spot on to that scent and quite enjoy it. There is NO scent the next day, so nothing to compete with your vintage perfume!

I let it dry and then pinned everything up, using a spray bottle to lightly reactivate the setting lotion. I'm still getting back into the swing of pin curl sets, but I'm very happy with the results (not necessarily happy with my pinning technique though!). It has good hold without feeling like I have anything in my hair at all, which is important to me. A huge difference from not using anything to set with.

MarieAnne
03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi MarieAnne,

I was just going through the brush section and I am pretty sure they had some of those. The brush selection was pretty complete. I picked up a boar bristle teaser brush and have found it is great for brushing out smaller sections without tangling up the stuff that gets in the way. I will pop in on my way by next time (it is close to my house) and double check that they have them. That one isn't terribly large, but I have found everything I needed there. The one on Merivale Rd might be bigger with more selection.

Are you coming up to Ottawa anyway, or would you be making a special trip? If you're coming up anyway, let me know when and we could check out a couple of vintage stores in town. If you would be coming up just to go to Sally's, I could save you the trip and pick the brushes up for you and mail them down.

They do have the Lottabody, if you can't find it locally.

Cheers,
Ruthanne

Hey, glad you found everything you needed. Thank you so much for the offer. I don't have a trip planned at the moment, I'll let you know as soon as I do.

kymeratale
03-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey, glad you found everything you needed. Thank you so much for the offer. I don't have a trip planned at the moment, I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Was in Sally's today and they do have all 3 sizes - $8.29.

Smuterella
03-27-2010, 04:38 PM
They don't seem to stock those in the UK. :-(

MarieAnne
03-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Sweet! Thanks kymeratale. My mom lives in a bigger city in BC and she's actually trying to find me one. Fingers crossed!

crwritt
04-03-2010, 08:16 AM
I just read this is being discontinued. Anyone here ever heard of it, or used it?
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:RNBMgGIbsvXZvM:http://www.historyworld.co.uk/content/thumbs/amami.jpg
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct2=us%2F0_0_s_0_0_t&ct3=MAA4AEgAUABqAnVz&usg=AFQjCNHCD2eiQiLJUXVRJKPUtpv93zlK1g&cid=17593733548301&ei=R362S_C2J8_7lweJ53g&rt=STORY&vm=STANDARD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Ffemail%2Fbe auty%2Farticle-1262785%2FAmamis-famous-lotion-just-discontinued-shampoo-set-fashionable.html
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/04/01/article-0-08F30CD7000005DC-829_224x313.jpg
I've had a hard time getting this to link up. Can someone do any better?
http://www.historyworld.co.uk/content/amami.jpghttp://www.historyworld.co.uk/content/amami.jpg

PrettyPaula
04-08-2010, 08:46 AM
UK ladies, i am sad to find that Boots has discontinued all setting lotion :(

i have picked up some Wilko's own brand, i will let you know how it turns out :D

miserabelle
04-08-2010, 09:19 AM
I've never seen setting lotion in my local Boots stores but I've always found it in Superdrug if anyone's looking :) x

PrettyPaula
04-13-2010, 03:21 PM
the wilko's stuff was okay, but my set was pants... i just cant seem to work out how to do on my longer hair? le sigh.

Gracie Lee
04-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Right there with ya, Paula. My hair is shoulder blade length, and I can do NOTHING with it, setting lotion or no. I have no skill for pin curls, and pillow rollers just aren't cutting it. I want Veronica Lake, I get... me, with slightly curled bangs. Not sure where I'm going wrong.

Caity Lynn
04-13-2010, 05:59 PM
:offtopic:

^
"it's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest...I dont even exercise."

lol

Gracie Lee
04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm pretty sure I know that movie by heart :D And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one ;)

SheBear74
04-30-2010, 05:34 PM
I have a couple questions :) I bought some lotabody today. Can I use it with a curling iron, or hot rollers? If so how do you do it? Put it on your wet hair, or dampen your hair with it, then let it dry, then curl?

GoddessMama
04-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Right there with ya, Paula. My hair is shoulder blade length, and I can do NOTHING with it, setting lotion or no. I have no skill for pin curls, and pillow rollers just aren't cutting it. I want Veronica Lake, I get... me, with slightly curled bangs. Not sure where I'm going wrong.
Ok I seemed to have got this one down. For this look I do 5-1 lotsabody on towel dried hair and then I use shine serum and brush that through. I then make quite large pincurls, about 2 inch rolls starting from the top of my head, making the curls roll down, instead of rolling them up. If you can't manage pincurls, which is totally hard with long hair, try rolling your hair around your fingers starting at your scalp moving twards the ends. If you still can't get them to behave try using those hard plastic curlers that have the clip on covers.

SheBear74
05-02-2010, 03:07 PM
I just read this is being discontinued. Anyone here ever heard of it, or used it?
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:RNBMgGIbsvXZvM:http://www.historyworld.co.uk/content/thumbs/amami.jpg
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct2=us%2F0_0_s_0_0_t&ct3=MAA4AEgAUABqAnVz&usg=AFQjCNHCD2eiQiLJUXVRJKPUtpv93zlK1g&cid=17593733548301&ei=R362S_C2J8_7lweJ53g&rt=STORY&vm=STANDARD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Ffemail%2Fbe auty%2Farticle-1262785%2FAmamis-famous-lotion-just-discontinued-shampoo-set-fashionable.html
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/04/01/article-0-08F30CD7000005DC-829_224x313.jpg
I've had a hard time getting this to link up. Can someone do any better?
http://www.historyworld.co.uk/content/amami.jpghttp://www.historyworld.co.uk/content/amami.jpg

I love that look!!! I need to figure out how to do that! :)

CaramelSmoothie
05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I use Lottabody Creamwrap:

http://www.myhouseofbeauty.com/locrwrforwra.html

I've also had good results with Organic Root Stimulator Elastic-i-Tea:

http://metrobeauty.com/Hair-Care/Treatments-Masques/Organic-ROOT-Stimulator-Elastic-i-Tea.html

aallred
06-22-2010, 07:40 AM
After seeing what good reviews Lottabody was getting (especially from thin haired gals like myself) I decided to give it a go.

When I went to sallys the only Lottabody they had was green. It does say setting lotion on the front but it also has olive oil in it. Has anyone tried this kind? Or am I better off just ordering the right (purple) one?

YesterdayGirl
07-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Yes I used it and loved it. Used to buy it in Boots until one day I went in and it was reduced, and then I heard it was being discontinued. Boo hoo. I blogged about it at the time here (http://jennyjenny-yesterdaygirl.blogspot.com/2010/04/farewell-to-old-friend.html).

Amy
08-31-2010, 02:46 AM
Hi girls!

I found Revlon Lottabody in an afro hair shop in Upton Park, called Queens Cosmetics. 2.25 for 450 ml (undiluted), or a MASSIVE bottle for 4.99. Smells/works just like the stuff my mum used to use to set the old ladies' hair (she's a hairdresser). Could this be the same stuff as the Wella? Just thought you might want to know!

A

Miss Scarlet
09-08-2010, 07:07 AM
I have a question. For the last couple of weeks my hair has looked significantly duller than it ever used to. I'm not sure if it's using setting lotion or to do with hairspray. It might even been because my hair hasn't seen much sun. I wondered if setting lotion has made other people's hair seem dull? If not I must find the other reason :)

Roxy
09-08-2010, 10:12 AM
I have a question. For the last couple of weeks my hair has looked significantly duller than it ever used to. I'm not sure if it's using setting lotion or to do with hairspray. It might even been because my hair hasn't seen much sun. I wondered if setting lotion has made other people's hair seem dull? If not I must find the other reason :)

When my hair gets that way I add a tsp of baking soda to my shampoo when I wash and it removes the residue of styling products from my hair.

Miss Scarlet
09-08-2010, 12:53 PM
That's a great idea, I'll try that next time I wash my hair. Thanks for the handy tip!

Roxy
09-08-2010, 01:05 PM
That's a great idea, I'll try that next time I wash my hair. Thanks for the handy tip!

Glad to help. :) Be sure to condition well when you do that.

Miss Scarlet
09-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Just to let you know Roxy, I did as you said and it worked! I'm now back to my red, shiney hair! Thank you so much! I'd started debating whether or not to dye/highlight my hair :)

Roxy
09-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Just to let you know Roxy, I did as you said and it worked! I'm now back to my red, shiney hair! Thank you so much! I'd started debating whether or not to dye/highlight my hair :)

Fantastic! I'm so glad it worked for you. :)

Ada Vice
09-24-2010, 04:59 AM

I find Pantenne Clarifying shampoo (the one in the clearblue bottle) really good for product build up, course baking soda is much cheaper! Once a month of either product will make your hair shiney. :)

JazzyDame
09-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Ladies...I have a question regarding setting lotion. I just purchased Lottabody and Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion, both of which were recommendations by you Fine Ladies of the Lounge. :) I'm rather new to setting lotion, and since you're all experts on the subject, my question is this: when you apply these setting lotions, do you apply only to the roots, or do you saturate the entire head from root to tip before you set and style (how much do you apply)?

Marla
09-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Hi Ladies...I have a question regarding setting lotion. I just purchased Lottabody and Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion, both of which were recommendations by you Fine Ladies of the Lounge. :) I'm rather new to setting lotion, and since you're all experts on the subject, my question is this: when you apply these setting lotions, do you apply only to the roots, or do you saturate the entire head from root to tip before you set and style (how much do you apply)?

I think the area of application depends on the style you're going for. I like to curl just the end of my hair for a 30s look so that when the curls are combed out they lay flat against my head. When setting, I separate a section of hair from the rest and spray the ends with Lottabody, which I keep a mixture of in a spray bottle.

Generally, it's best not to spray the roots because the Lottabody 'hardens' the hair and then when you brush it it becomes frizzy. It's best to not put it where you don't need it. Selective application is the way to go.

Roxy
09-24-2010, 10:31 PM
I think the area of application depends on the style you're going for. I like to curl just the end of my hair for a 30s look so that when the curls are combed out they lay flat against my head. When setting, I separate a section of hair from the rest and spray the ends with Lottabody, which I keep a mixture of in a spray bottle.

Generally, it's best not to spray the roots because the Lottabody 'hardens' the hair and then when you brush it it becomes frizzy. It's best to not put it where you don't need it. Selective application is the way to go.

Is your mixture just lotion and water? What ratio do you use when mixing?

LolitaHaze
09-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Ooh! I want to try that cream wrap! I hardly use setting lotion, but when I do I use lottabody purple. It took me some time to used to it though. A couple years ago I tried a foaming setting lotion that I LOVED at first, but then I found it made my hair stinky far too quickly for my liking. I was able to get a 3 day curl hold from it without a reset, but it just made my hair smelly after using it a handful of times. I think the cream may give me the ease of the foam, but without the stink! Here's hoping! Otherwise I may have to try that second one you recommended!

I use Lottabody Creamwrap:

http://www.myhouseofbeauty.com/locrwrforwra.html

I've also had good results with Organic Root Stimulator Elastic-i-Tea:

http://metrobeauty.com/Hair-Care/Treatments-Masques/Organic-ROOT-Stimulator-Elastic-i-Tea.html

fortworthgal
09-24-2010, 11:25 PM
I too am fascinated by the idea of Creamwrap! I use Lottabody purple, diluted about 5 to 1. Doesn't make my hair too stiff, and I can usually get 3 days out of a set, with minimal curling iron touch-up.

I've also used Dr. Miracle's Healing Styling Foam. I won a bottle in a giveaway from Allure magazine a couple of years ago. It had kind of a cool menthol feel to it. It worked great and made my hair feel very nice & soft, but I haven't found it again locally. They also make a wrap & setting lotion I'd be interested in trying. It is yet another "ethnic" product. Curious if any of you ladies have used it?