PDA

View Full Version : The "Blue Blazer".

bburtner@moran
04-21-2009, 04:39 AM
If there were 1 sport jacket to have in you closet would it be a blue blazer?

scotrace
04-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Yes.

Feraud
04-21-2009, 06:13 AM
I was never a big fan of the blue blazer.
My tastes run to patterned sport coats. I'll take anything in a tweed, herringbone, houndtooth pattern, in brown, tan, green color combinations.

"Skeet" McD
04-21-2009, 06:28 AM

In a word: yes. Particularly, of course, in the heated term. Although, for those of us unable to afford bespoke and falling outside the "normal" in size....I have yet to find one constructed the proper way, with patch pockets, hanging on a rack...

"Skeet"

Spats McGee
04-21-2009, 06:38 AM
Yes. It's a very versatile jacket.

HarpPlayerGene
04-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Sport coat, jacket, blazer.. I've always been a little confused about what those terms are meant to differentiate. Will the educated among you please tell me why some are called one thing and some are called the other? Are they just interchangeable terms?

In any event, yes, I guess, would be my answer. I just shudder to think of having only one lapeled jacket in my closet. :o

stephen1965
04-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Well if you've only got the choice of 1 then a blue blazer is a great choice for it's versatility.
If you were living in very rural parts maybe I'd swap for a tweed.

Feraud
04-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Found it...
Here is my favorite sport coat.
Made by RL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/feraud/Clothes/DSC02782.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/feraud/Clothes/DSC02783.jpg

Tomasso
04-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Another affirmative.

Chad Sanborn
04-21-2009, 02:34 PM
I would say yes as well!

Mid-fogey
04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Yep.

AtomicEraTom
04-21-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm more of a houndstooth guy myself, but I do own a blue blazer, and a black one, and a black one with white pinstripes.

Also, I have a friend who Drives a blue Blazer, sorry, bad Joke.

Jay
04-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Maybe if I wanted to look like everyone else...

I don't really like the idea of blue blazers anymore. I used to pine for one, but now, it seems like every time there's an occasion to be dressed up, 40 % of the guys I see are wearing the darn things. And most have those damned gold buttons. I can never find a pair of pants that looks good with one either.

I'd go with gray any day of the week, especially in a nice checked pattern. Much more versatile in my opinion.

chanteuseCarey
04-21-2009, 05:45 PM
For years he has had two sport coats, both are patterned. One is silk fleck weave- med blue with other colors in the weave, the other is woo-camel & black houndstooth weave.

Now that he has two vintage suits- never had a matched suit either until Feb 09 when he got his first vintage 1940s DB peak lapel, one is a red/brown with cream pinstripe the other is navy with bright blue pinstripe.

Macheath
04-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Something in a grey herringbone would be my choice.

Blue blazers, especially with brass buttons, have always felt regimented to me. They always make my think of prep school attire.

univibe88
04-21-2009, 07:04 PM
If I could only have one, yes it would be a navy blazer. But it's very easy to put some unique buttons on it so you don't look exactly like the 40 other guys with brass buttons.

Also, make sure it's a nice fabric and properly tailored and you'll stand out from the 40 other guys.

Tomasso
04-21-2009, 07:10 PM
it's very easy to put some unique buttons on it so you don't look exactly like the 40 other guys with brass buttons.

Also, make sure it's a nice fabric and properly tailored and you'll stand out from the 40 other guys.Ditto.

This really is a no brainer.............[huh]

Feraud
04-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Ditto.

This really is a no brainer.............[huh]
True. People with no brains go for the blue blazer. ;)

I kid, I kid. :)

scotrace
04-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Right. Only one blazer/sport jacket? It's going to be the best navy jacket you can find, with shiny buttons, single breasted (it's the only one, remember). No brainer, no second thought.

THEN. When space & funds permit, A gray herringbone, an olive corduroy, a brown POW check, a good tweed, another navy blazer, double breasted (Ben Silver (http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefront.asp?root=3&show=315&display=4583&group=1) offers a very fine one, for my taste), etc.

http://www.bensilver.com/eccstoreimages/ben/product_images/s09/EDB_R.jpg

Spitfire
04-22-2009, 07:16 AM
The navy blue blazer is a must in every gentlemans closet.
And if you're only allowed one sportsjacket, it has to be the one.
About buttons - yes, they can easily be changed, if you don't fancy the ordinary brass.
I went for som extraordinay brass. Got hold of some WWII RAF buttons.
Works beautifully.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/Parup_2006/rafgl4.jpg

PADDY
04-22-2009, 07:42 AM
My 4x2 DB and the one from the movie, The Aviator.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/ROSSANDHARRY/DoubleBreastedHowardHughesjacket005.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/ROSSANDHARRY/aviator-01_l.jpg

Zemke Fan
04-22-2009, 07:55 AM
I would pick black. I have both SB and DB in navy, but my black blazers (horn buttons not brass) are my go-to pieces these days. I have both summer and winter weight.

chanteuseCarey
04-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Our almost 13yo Fred Astaire wannabe DS Daniel was peeking at this thread here- he reminded me that he has a blue blazer:) It has the requisite brass buttons. He asked me to pick it up from the cleaners for him by lunchtime the day of his fall school picture, just so he could wear it in the photo. I should post that photo here, he looks damn sharp (pardon my french). Maybe I will...

He's very smart with plenty of brains- just like his Mama that helps him (a little) pick out his clothes:p

He also has a Hart Schaffner Marx small houndstooth weave wool sport coat... and white tie and tails... and a single button tuxedo... and several vintage clothing pieces already...

He says he wants an Art Deco wardrobe.

He most likely could win a contest as the best dressed seventh grader around here, maybe in the entire state of California...

This online group is very enabling for his clothes, not to mention for DH:D

True. People with no brains go for the blue blazer. ;)

I kid, I kid. :)

chanteuseCarey
04-22-2009, 08:31 AM
I love to see pink ties on men, it take a certain aplomb and self confidence to carry it off, ditto pink dress shirts.

Okay, after seeing this one particular pic from the film, I HAVE to see "The Aviator"- all of us here do! Better yet, just buy it on DVD for the costumes.

I can keep it in the drawer with other new Golden Era DVDs such as Seabiscuit, Tucker, Last of the Blonde Bombshells... Paddy, do you know that film? It was an 2000 HBO film in the UK starring Dame Judi Dench and Ian Holm.

My 4x2 DB and the one from the movie, The Aviator.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/ROSSANDHARRY/DoubleBreastedHowardHughesjacket005.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/ROSSANDHARRY/aviator-01_l.jpg

chanteuseCarey
04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Where did you ever find them Spitfire...

About buttons - yes, they can easily be changed, if you don't fancy the ordinary brass.
Works beautifully.

Highlander
04-22-2009, 08:37 AM
FOR SURE! I have a nice Pendleton for winter, and two light wool navy blazers for summer(one hangs on the back of the door at my office in the event I just wear khakis and a blue shirt, I can always dress it up). I haven't had a nice double breasted blue blazer since college, but this got me in the mood to go after one.

chanteuseCarey
04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Daniel will want this one when he see this pic from their link...

Maybe I better not let him read all the posts and see the pics from this thread. Or better yet, I SHOULD, and let him sign up as a member of FL- he quite the reader and would learn alot.

With five vintage hats already he'd definitely qualifies to be here! But he doesn't have an email of his own yet:p

Right. Only one blazer/sport jacket? It's going to be the best navy jacket you can find, with shiny buttons, single breasted (it's the only one, remember). No brainer, no second thought.

THEN. When space & funds permit, A gray herringbone, an olive corduroy, a brown POW check, a good tweed, another navy blazer, double breasted (Ben Silver (http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefront.asp?root=3&show=315&display=4583&group=1) offers a very fine one, for my taste), etc.

http://www.bensilver.com/eccstoreimages/ben/product_images/s09/EDB_R.jpg

Spitfire
04-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Where did you ever find them Spitfire...

e-bay. Of course.
I actualy bought several, just to pick out the nice ones.

The biggest problem is finding enough (8) small ones for the sleeves.
In RAF they were used as breastpocket buttons on the tunic. So normally the packagedeal is 5-6 big ones and two small ones. So I just had to hunt for more.

theFatPack
04-22-2009, 03:34 PM
The navy blue blazer is a must in every gentlemans closet.
And if you're only allowed one sportsjacket, it has to be the one.
Works beautifully.

I think that's more than a little bit incorrect. I don't care how old the buttons are - to wear a military affiliation that one has not earned is simply disrespectful to those who fought and died in the regiment/force/etc.

For example, I like the ties of the Guards Regiments, but I will not wear one unless and until I am part of such a regiment.

Zach R.
04-22-2009, 09:05 PM
To me, being in a college environment and seeing blue blazers being collectively "worn out" by the frat-boy element leaves the concept of owning one and wearing it a bad taste in my mouth.

Men in backwards ballcaps, blue blazers (with pastel dress shirts), khaki pants (or shorts) and sperrys will forever haunt my fashion sense. :p

Drew B
04-22-2009, 09:19 PM
To me, being in a college environment and seeing blue blazers being collectively "worn out" by the frat-boy element leaves the concept of owning one and wearing it a bad taste in my mouth.

Men in backwards ballcaps, blue blazers (with pastel dress shirts), khaki pants (or shorts) and sperrys will forever haunt my fashion sense. :p

OUCH!...

You know, I just can't bring myself to answer this. There must always be more jackets.

Tomasso
04-22-2009, 09:28 PM
I just can't bring myself to answer this.Ditto.

Spitfire
04-23-2009, 12:22 AM
I think that's more than a little bit incorrect. I don't care how old the buttons are - to wear a military affiliation that one has not earned is simply disrespectful to those who fought and died in the regiment/force/etc.

For example, I like the ties of the Guards Regiments, but I will not wear one unless and until I am part of such a regiment.

I think I understand what you are saying here.
When we are talking about wearing a regiment tie or Squadron Crest badge.
But buttons? And not even the official RAF Blazer Buttons (They can be bought)

But you do not earn buttons.
You earn medals, you earn rank.
But - to me - buttons are.... well... buttons. Standard equipment.

There is of course a reason why I choose these specific buttons.
And I wear them as a tribute to the men who flew and fought - and died in the Battle of Britain.

You have your reasons - as I have mine.:)

edit: By the way: These buttons are no longer in use. The traine eye will see that it is the Kings Crown (WWII) buttons - and not the regular, modern Quens Crown. So unless I look like a 80-85 years old, nobody will take me for an ex-RAF person.
If I got hold of some Napoleon 7th Hussars buttons - would that make me a veteran from 1806? Or an imposter??

But you do raise a very intersting question. Where to draw a line. But in order not to hijack this thread, I will start a new one.
Back to the blazer.

cloudspotter
04-23-2009, 03:07 AM
yessir - i am totally in blazers as they perfectly walk the line between formal suits and light but completeley dressed sports.

this one is from today's office apparel:

- blue, english trim, double vented
- red silk lining
- golden non-custom buttons (to be replaced when i find nicer ones - likes those from spitfire??)
- embriodered blazer crest

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu75/spaceglider/blazer.jpg

WildCelt
04-23-2009, 03:40 AM

I've had the same knee-jerk reaction to that look and for several years avoided wearing my blue blazer with anything remotely resembling khakis. Then I realized that with properly fitted clothes, a fedora, and proper dress shoes (and without the deck shoes, croakies, and baseball cap), I don't look like one of their number at all.

dhermann1
04-23-2009, 06:35 AM
I assume that by this time everyone here knows the story (possibly apocryphal?) of how "Blazers" got their name? Apparently in the 18th century Royal Navy ships' captains all had a personal crew to row them around in their "gig". They paid for their rowers' outfits out of thier own pockets (this being before the era of standard navy uniforms.) The frigate HMS Blazer (great name for a frigate) had a partically attractive get up: dark blue double breasted jackets with brass buttons, and white trousers. It immediately caiught on all over the navy, and all over the world. Not really sure if it's true, but this is the legend.
Anyway, what I want to ask is this: I've seen most people here say that the single breasted blazer was more desirable. I lean toward the double breasted.
Opinions? Elucidation? Thanx.

Feraud
04-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Anyway, what I want to ask is this: I've seen most people here say that the single breasted blazer was more desirable. I lean toward the double breasted.
Opinions? Elucidation? Thanx.

I prefer double breasted. The single breasted blue blazer is worn by many building security guards in NYC.

bburtner@moran
04-23-2009, 06:56 AM
True,but, are they 100% cashmere?

Feraud
04-23-2009, 06:59 AM
I seriously doubt it.
More likely poly. I could be wrong tho..

bburtner@moran
04-23-2009, 07:08 AM
I am sure you are correct.

Subvet642
04-23-2009, 08:51 AM
...The single breasted blue blazer is worn by many building security guards in NYC.

Why would that make them undesirable? [huh]

bburtner@moran
04-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Undesireable?Certainly not,strange question.

Subvet642
04-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Undesireable?Certainly not,strange question.
He made it seem as though he would prefer double breasted because NYC building guards wear single breasted blazers.

Feraud
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Double breasted is my preference for a blue blazer.
My observation about single breasted blazers and NYC building security guards is simply an observation based on the direction of the conversation. I work in the city and encounter this every day. The building guards wear single breasted blazers en masse.
I don't view it as good or bad.

J. M. Stovall
04-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I was "made" to wear one all the time in college, I'm still kind of burnt out on them after all this time. What I really want is a nice white or cream linen jacket. Still looking.

Tomasso
04-23-2009, 11:19 AM
A sure way to avoid being mistaken for security when wearing a blazer is to wear a pocket square. :p

Subvet642
04-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Double breasted is my preference for a blue blazer.
My observation about single breasted blazers and NYC building security guards is simply an observation based on the direction of the conversation. I work in the city and encounter this every day. The building guards wear single breasted blazers en masse.
I don't view it as good or bad.

I am a guard at a "Harvard Teaching Hospital" in Boston, and I guard a research building, but I'm in a "hard" uniform. For years, at another site, I wore a blazer, though I think ours were wool (my company spends a lot on our uniforms). I think the difference lies in the stupid red clip-on tie and the company patch on the breast pocket. With a Robert Talbott paisley tie, off-white linen pocket square and grey fur or straw fedora, they look pretty darned sharp.

I was "made" to wear one all the time in college, I'm still kind of burnt out on them after all this time. What I really want is a nice white or cream linen jacket. Still looking.

Gee, that would look good with navy blue trousers; sort of a reverse look. A pretty good ensemble for all of those navy blue hats out there that no one seems to know what to do with.

Subvet642
04-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Men's Wearhouse: http://www.menswearhouse.com

J. M. Stovall
04-23-2009, 11:48 AM

I left out the word "vintage" in my last post. New ones are easy. :)

Subvet642
04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
I left out the word "vintage" in my last post. New ones are easy. :)

Oops! :eusa_doh: If I see anything, I'll shoot you a PM.

Talbot
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Sport coat, jacket, blazer.. I've always been a little confused about what those terms are meant to differentiate. Will the educated among you please tell me why some are called one thing and some are called the other? Are they just interchangeable terms?

In any event, yes, I guess, would be my answer. I just shudder to think of having only one lapeled jacket in my closet. :o

Down here they are generally referred to as 'Reefer Jackets' - go figure

Tomasso
04-23-2009, 03:28 PM
'Reefer Jackets' That's from old Savile Row, where gaudy striped school/club jackets were termed blazers.

Talbot
04-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Just so long as its old, I'll keep using it;)

tonypaj
05-01-2009, 01:19 PM
I think I understand what you are saying here.
When we are talking about wearing a regiment tie or Squadron Crest badge.
But buttons? And not even the official RAF Blazer Buttons (They can be bought)

But you do not earn buttons..

Exactly. And I'd like to have buttons that look like yours for my navy blazer. I think they look cool, that's all... I'd also wear buttons made of industrial metal, silverish color, if I could find them. They'd look equally cool to me...

Panache
05-01-2009, 02:37 PM
In my opinion, every gentleman should have a blue blazer and a tweed sport coat in their closet.

The two of these work wonderfully in a myriad of different situations and looks.

Cheers

Jamie

Talbot
05-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Exactly. And I'd like to have buttons that look like yours for my navy blazer. I think they look cool, that's all... I'd also wear buttons made of industrial metal, silverish color, if I could find them. They'd look equally cool to me...

Pewter or tarnished silver buttons look great on a reefer jacket. Good choice.

theFatPack
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Subvet642
05-04-2009, 08:09 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh, they're not that bad! I simply cannot find my size in vintage or afford bespoke, except on very rare occasion, so I make due with what I can find. What I do, is adapt modern pieces to a vintage aesthetic. :cool2:

Viola
05-04-2009, 10:22 AM
A brushed nickel or other aged silver-finish or a dark bronze button is a good way to add a bit of individuality and tailoring to a perhaps uninspired or unexciting blue blazer. Not recommending the rampant rehauling of vintage jackets but its an option for modern pieces or jackets that require repair.

It also reduces the accusations of boringness or looking like its a uniform that get levelled at the look.

Rhinestones, however, are only recommended for the ladies and possibly performers at the Grand Ol' Opry.