PDA

View Full Version : Age concern

colinlyne
05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Do any lounger feel that wearing a fedora makes them look older?

Big Man
05-20-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't think wearing a fedora makes me look any older than I am (I'm 54). I do think wearing a fedora makes me look more "authoritative".

It will be interesting to see what some of the younger members think about this topic.

Tango Yankee
05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Nope, just better! lol

irb
05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Well, to some extent; but it might depend on the actual age of the person wearing it. A 12-year-old wearing a fedora isn't going to look 40, but a 25-year-old might get mistaken for someone a bit older, sure.

I think our current fashions and media try to keep men boys and women girls. I see boys in their 30s acting and dressing like they're still in high school, for instance. Now, I don't necessarily have a problem with that in the sense that people ought to do they find rewarding; but it does mean that fewer and fewer people (men and women) are putting childish things aside when they're no longer children. As I see it, more people are dressing as if they were younger, which means that wearing more classic styles might in fact, make you look older.

ScottF
05-20-2009, 10:43 AM
A friend who worked at an up-scale clothing store used to complain every time he saw me wearing a fedora - said no one under 70 should be wearing a fedora. Well, one day he dressed up for an interview and put on my Borsalino (in avatar). He now owns it :)

I think it just adds to a young attitude which involves bucking trends (or reviving trends), so perhaps it makes me look younger?

gtdean48
05-20-2009, 10:45 AM
My wife & son say that there are certain hats I have that are "old man hats". When I wear them, I look like an old man. I am much more concerned with my skin looking older from not wearing a hat that wearing of the hat making me look old.

Big Man
05-20-2009, 10:51 AM
... fewer and fewer people (men and women) are putting childish things aside when they're no longer children ...

Amen to that.

Goose.
05-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Nope, just better! lol
What TY said :)

... Well, one day he dressed up for an interview and put on my Borsalino (in avatar). He now owns it :)
I hope that the interview went his way and that's cool you gave him your hat.

tortswon
05-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm 57 and am often around younger people (in their 20's) because I teach college and I also have many nieces and nephews in that age range. They tell me my hats make me look younger and more hip. I think what you wear with your hat and how you wear it makes all the difference. It's what I call, "hattitude." Best, Sam

Thwack
05-20-2009, 11:54 AM
[huh] Actually the opposite. I get carded at liquor stores and tabacconists more when I wear my hat then when I don't.

Cigarband
05-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I was wearing my Panama Bob Cuenca yesterday at the Supermarket, and a Woman half my age chatted me up and gave me her number. She said she loved the HAT!

Big Man
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I was wearing my Panama Bob Cuenca yesterday at the Supermarket, and a Woman half my age chatted me up and gave me her number. She said she loved the HAT!

Hopefully, you are over 40 ... :D

Dewhurst
05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
I have no idea if any of my fedoras make me look older. My wife assures me that it is the face that determines how old a person looks, not the hat.[huh]

Besides, all of my fedoras are pretty dressy (I don't really go in for the "adventure" fedora so popular these days) snap brim affairs, so that may make some kind of difference.

m000m000
05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
I think what you wear with your hat and how you wear it makes all the difference. It's what I call, "hattitude." Best, Sam

This, more than anything.

Last year I was attending a decennial birthday party of an older relative of mine together with my mother. The weather was rather bad, so I was wearing a trench coat over my grey suit, topped of with a light-grey Dobbs - Not vintage or anything, just your usual usual modern things you'd expect anyone to to wear at an "informal" dress event such as this.
We were both somewhat soaked by the time we arrived as there was a fair bit of walk from the car park and we only had one of those tiny foldable umbrellas which don't really cover much anything, especially when windy, so I let my mother hold it so she could at least keep her hair dry. As we arrived, we were greeted by the hosts, and then proceeded to hang our wet overcoats in the vestibule.

So, my mother was catching up with some more distant relative whom had come to look around who had arrived. It was an older lady a bit younger than my mother, and someone who I myself didn't recognize at all. As I'm about to lift my mother's overcoat on the hanging rack, I hear this ladyperson ask my mother (divorced as of 7 years prior to when this event took place) "If the male person accompanying her perhaps would be a new companion of hers?"

...I'm in my mid-twenties.

It's a somewhat amusing story (that got told around a lot that evening lol), and while there's more circumstances to it than just hat and clothing, I really doubt the lady would have asked the question if she'd met us on the street in everyday casualwear ;-).

Inusuit
05-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Maybe. I'm too old to care.

Delthayre
05-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I think that wearing a hat does make me look older, although my beard has a like effect, so its difficult to ascertain how greatly the hats contribute to that.

That is not, however, in any way a cause to me for, "concern."

Caity Lynn
05-20-2009, 04:51 PM
When I wear a hat I think i tmakes me look about 12 years old:rolleyes:

Tomasso
05-20-2009, 04:57 PM
it is the face that determines how old a person looks, not the hat.Bingo!!!

And the same goes for clothing. Really, we see it here at the Lounge everyday with young guys wearing vintage.

J.J. Gittes
05-20-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm 16 and wear my hats fairly often, most of the time my vintage whippet look alike. A lot of people think I'm older, but I don't think its as much of the hat as it is the way I talk and act. Not sure though. Could a be either or a combo.

Erik
05-20-2009, 05:15 PM
"Do any lounger feel that wearing a fedora makes them look older?"

I do not. My wife and several friends disagree. I'm convinced that it is because they associate fedoras with older times and the older people who hail from them.

metropd
05-20-2009, 05:17 PM
I certainly get treated like a legal adult when I wear mine. When I don't I get treated like a teenager.

univibe88
05-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Nope, just better! lol

Yep. I think I look taller and thinner.

Diamondback
05-20-2009, 05:38 PM
It's largely "hattitude", I suspect--certain clothes/accessories interact with different personalities in different ways, like Billy Crystal's pinstripes in Analyze This. I'd suspect it's also partly how we stereotype the item, like how cops go from "regular" to "The Man" when they suit up--I've seen acquaintances in the field go from one to the other in a matter of minutes.

----------------
Now playing: James Horner - Houston, We Have A Problem (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/james+horner/track/houston%2c+we+have+a+problem)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

RBH
05-20-2009, 05:44 PM
.. "hattitude",....

I like that....

J.T.Marcus
05-20-2009, 05:47 PM
The old guys I know don't wear hats. :)

Diamondback
05-20-2009, 05:49 PM
TBH, the term was already used in this thread, I just seconded it. Seems like a reasonable bit of shorthand as opposed to "the clothes-make-the-man effect"...

Belegnole
05-21-2009, 05:55 PM
When I wear certain hats my Ex says that the hat makes me look older.....take that as you like. I happen to ignore it because I am what I am....older than her...

AtomicEraTom
05-21-2009, 06:10 PM
I feel that not just a fedora, but my style of dress in general makes me appear older. I'm 18, and get guessed anywhere between 24 and 29 when people meet me.

chanteuseCarey
05-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Not only is it the face and the hattitude, but the age in one's heart (such as person who is "young at heart" as they say), and how they feel about themselves is what is reflected in regards to whether wearing a hat makes one look older. The hat can add character! On another hand, maturity is not the same as age. Having a good self confidence and a high level of contentment and comfort about wearing the hat keeps the older gents looking young, and the young gents look more mature (like in your twenties not a teenager). I've been looking at pics for a while now, seeing many a gent in hats here on the FL, and the young pups look fabulous in them, and the older gents (okay 40+ ) look gorgeous and handsome! Nobody looks old(er)!

LordBest
05-21-2009, 08:46 PM
I wish, despite my hats I still get mistaken for a sixteen year old (I am twenty-four).