PDA

View Full Version : Stingy Brim...

Aureliano
05-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Hat experts out there: from what size up to what size would you consider a hat to be a stingy?
Aureliano-

Jauntyone
05-30-2009, 01:14 PM
I think the general concensus here is that a hat with a brim less than two inches is a stingy. In the 1930s, hats had narrower brims, 2 1/8" or 2 1/4" seemed to be common brim widths and a 2 1/2" brim was considered "wide". In the 1940s, brims got wider and crowns shrank a bit. In the 1960s both brims and crowns shrank, though in general crowns were fuller on 60s stingy brims than they are to-day. Most 1960s hats that I own have 1 3/4" brims with a few 1 7/8" and 1 5/8".
But "stingy" is relative to the time period. Stingy by 1940s standards isn't the same as stingy by 1960s standards. The two inch rule is a good standard in my opinion.
(Just want to add that I'm not an expert!)

Aureliano
05-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Thank you Jauntyone. That was a great explanation.

Jauntyone
05-30-2009, 02:09 PM
My pleasure, Areliano:)
I think two things are important to looking good in a stingy. First, make sure the hat has a fuller crown with little taper. Tapered crowns are what contribute to a "pinhead" effect some get with stingies. Second, make sure your other clothes harmonize in proportion. If you wear voluminous suits with wide lapels and wide ties, then you should wear a hat to match. Narrow-brim hats look best with (relatively) slimmer-fitting clothes, narrower lapels, etc. Again, this all just my opinion!

handlebar bart
05-30-2009, 02:17 PM
My pleasure, Areliano:)
I think two things are important to looking good in a stingy. First, make sure the hat has a fuller crown with little taper. Tapered crowns are what contribute to a "pinhead" effect some get with stingies. Second, make sure your other clothes harmonize in proportion. If you wear voluminous suits with wide lapels and wide ties, then you should wear a hat to match. Narrow-brim hats look best with (relatively) slimmer-fitting clothes, narrower lapels, etc. Again, this all just my opinion!

Wow, I never thought to make that connection before but it certainly makes sense given the clothing styles that coincided with the different hat styles.