PDA

View Full Version : A question - Dr. Grabow and American Pipes.

Ethan Bentley
06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
The last time a bought a pipe it was in 2005 in Wisconsin; it was a Dr. Grabow and is superb, easily me favourite.

I'm travelling to the US next week, Florida this time, and I'm looking for a recommendation of another American pipe. I think it's a nice "souvenir" to take away from the trip.

I'd be most grateful of any advice/recommendations.

LocktownDog
06-05-2009, 12:25 PM
What's your budget? I can point you to more of a high-end pipe in the $500 range ... or something less expensive (similar to the Grabow). If the latter range, I would highly recommend a Kaywoodie Red Root. Then again, you certainly couldn't beat a large Missouri Meer Country Gentleman for both price and quality.

Nick D
06-05-2009, 12:29 PM
No suggestions, but I'll second the endorsement of Dr. Grabow. My two favorite briars are Grabows, a straight and a bent. I also have a bent Dr. G Omega, but I could never get a good draw through it so stuck with the Duke and Grand Duke. They're not the most expensive pipes I own, but they're two of the best smokers, outside my calabashes.

Ethan Bentley
06-05-2009, 12:50 PM
What's your budget? I can point you to more of a high-end pipe in the $500 range ... or something less expensive (similar to the Grabow). If the latter range, I would highly recommend a Kaywoodie Red Root. Then again, you certainly couldn't beat a large Missouri Meer Country Gentleman for both price and quality.

Thanks for the response. I think for now my budget is something similar to the Dr. Grabow. Thanks for the recommendation of the Kaywoodie, from a quick online search it certainly looks promising.

*Side Note*
I notice the Kaywoodie has a small, white ace of clubs mark on it
and my Dr. Grabow has a small white ace of spades mark, coincidence?

No suggestions, but I'll second the endorsement of Dr. Grabow. My two favorite briars are Grabows, a straight and a bent. I also have a bent Dr. G Omega, but I could never get a good draw through it so stuck with the Duke and Grand Duke. They're not the most expensive pipes I own, but they're two of the best smokers, outside my calabashes.

I agree I've been really impressed with the Grawbow, which is why I was wondering if there was something similar. I've got a straight too and not only does it smoke well, I've had a some nice compliments from admirers (not as important but nice all the same).

Seraph1227
04-06-2014, 09:37 PM
When I was in the Marine Corps, my favorite pipe was a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke.