PDA

View Full Version : The Double Teardrop

jimmy the lid
06-08-2009, 06:08 AM
OK, gents, I'm going out on a limb here. I would love to get your objective feedback on last night's project...

Creasing my AB Deluxe has always presented somewhat of a challenge. Marc Kitter used the Crystal Skull block on this one, and sent it to me in open crown condition. When I received the hat, I tried a few dry bashes just to check out the possibilities. Without any work whatsoever, this lid fell perfectly into place with the traditional center dent -- it almost creased itself. So, in that sense, the hat really wanted to be a center dent by its very nature. In fact, my dog whispered as much to me...:D

I would have been OK with the center dent, but, it sat right on the top of my noggin -- so I went with a teardrop instead. The teardrop that I put in the hat initially passed muster, I think, but I have never been completely happy with it. It seems that the combination of the Crystal Skull block and a teardrop crease left a fairly large "dome" (or "inner teardrop" as I like to call it ;)). I had to sink the inner teardrop down in order not to have the dome portrude up over the top of the sides of the lid (which is a terrible look, IMO).

Last evening, I decided to raise the height of the teardrop to where I would normally have it. This resulted in the dome portruding fairly significantly above the sides of the lid. The question was how to keep the teardrop where I wanted it, but somehow be able to lower the height of the top of the dome itself.

My solution was to create a double teardrop. It's an unconventional look, I'll admit, but it accomplished what I was after. I'm not posting this because I think that anyone will particularly like this crease -- I'm posting it to share a somewhat different approach and to solicit your feedback. If you like it great -- if you don't, great. I'm just curious as to how this look strikes you -- any feedback is welcome. Anyway, here goes...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w103/mojohaiku/DT2.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w103/mojohaiku/DT4.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w103/mojohaiku/DT8.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w103/mojohaiku/DT9.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

rumblefish
06-08-2009, 06:18 AM
To be frank, it looks a bit much. The crease however looks perfect- as if a machine did it. I applaud your skill!!!:eusa_clap

kaosharper1
06-08-2009, 06:26 AM
It's help to see you wearing it.

FurFeltFedora
06-08-2009, 06:27 AM
JtL it certainly is an interesting solution to your problem and I can confidently say that I have never seen anything like that before. It's difficult to describe my reaction to it. Kind of like the three breasted woman from Total Recall - more of what you like, but somehow not right... :D

gtdean48
06-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Getting close to another "bullseye" look for the birds to take aim at! Most folks only see that crease off your head & that itself can be a conversation piece. If it looks good on your noggin which I know it does given your previous work, that's all that matters, right?

billyspew
06-08-2009, 06:50 AM
JtL it certainly is an interesting solution to your problem and I can confidently say that I have never seen anything like that before. It's difficult to describe my reaction to it. Kind of like the three breasted woman from Total Recall - more of what you like, but somehow not right... :D
lol lol lol lol
Best comment ever.

Thank you!

trailrunner
06-08-2009, 07:01 AM
It does look a bit strange to me, but it solves the problem, and if you're happy with that is what counts. I'm with gtdean, it gives the hat the look you want while you are wearing it, keep it. Also, as someone else mentioned, very nice job making that crease, it is perfectly done, no matter what you think of it.

jimmy the lid
06-08-2009, 07:08 AM
It's difficult to describe my reaction to it. Kind of like the three breasted woman from Total Recall - more of what you like, but somehow not right... :D

FFF -- that is very funny, and pretty much describes my own reaction. I want to like it, but I don't think it comes off as organic to the hat.

I really appreciate the honest feedback, folks. Sounds like, so far, your own reactions are similar to my own. Thanks.

Cheers,
JtL

BellyTank
06-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Try it as a Jello mold.

B
T

carter
06-08-2009, 07:21 AM
I believe you've succeeded in creating the Mini Me crease.
http://www.kapowgifts.com/acatalog/1austin-powers-dr-evil-mini-me-toy.jpg

As stated, if it looks good on your noggin, wear it with confidence. No one will know you're totin' a sidekick.

indycop
06-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Is this a new kangaroo teardrop? I see the baby kangaroo teardrop in its pouch! :D

Lefty
06-08-2009, 07:26 AM
initial thoughts:

alien head.

(Tommy Boy singing voice)
Big hat on a little blo-ock.

ripples
http://alqamardesigns.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/ripples.jpg

Like rumblefish said, impressive, but a bit much.

jimmy the lid
06-08-2009, 07:44 AM
initial thoughts:

alien head.

Well, it is the Crystal Skull block, after all...;)

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty
06-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Well, it is the Crystal Skull block, after all...;)

Cheers,
JtL

Then shouldn't it be shaped a bit more like this?
http://freelancewritinggigs.com/goodstuff/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/thumbs-down-stockxchnge.jpg

:p

jpbales
06-08-2009, 08:03 AM
interesting analogylol

Cigarband
06-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I like it.:eusa_clap

Feraud
06-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I am thinking crop circles..
An interesting look.

J.T.Marcus
06-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I LOVE IT! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I loved it 55years ago, when this guy did it.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x130/JTMarcus/royrogerscmdec6.jpg[/IMG]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x130/JTMarcus/gg-roy-rogers.jpg[IMG]

carldelo
06-08-2009, 10:00 AM
As previously stated, nicely executed - whatever works, eh?
I propose calling this the Edsel bash, for obvious reasons:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/10/12/automobiles/600-edsel.jpg

airforceindy
06-08-2009, 10:30 AM
As stated in the very first reply, it's a testament to your skill with the teardrop bash, Jimmy. I do have to agree with you and pretty much everyone else, though, it looks like too much of a good thing, particularly on a hat as unassuming as an Indy (even if it is Mark Kitter Special!). Even if you're not going for an Indy look, that felt/bow/color format begs subtlety.

-AFI

Marc Chevalier
06-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Agreed. It crosses the line into foppishness.

Still, de gustibus non disputandum est.

Mahagonny Bill
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I think it's really interesting. I would like to see it on 'ya to get a better idea of how it looks from the front. Really, how many people will see the crease from the top? (other than the aforementioned birds :rolleyes: )

skyvue
06-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I like it. If it's good enough for Roy Rogers, it's good enough for me.

Cigarband
06-08-2009, 11:06 AM
I like it. If it's good enough for Roy Rogers, it's good enough for me.

Dale Evans approved!

johnnycanuck
06-08-2009, 11:06 AM
I like it. I like it a lot. But we will have to call you Roy form here on out. ;)

Johnny

nulty
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Personally, even though there is somewhat of an affront at first glance, it's so creative it has to be cool...I like it from the top look...the side not sure...have to see it in action........

huzzah on the effort.....! :eusa_clap

Marc Chevalier
06-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Why not go for a triple teardrop? Or a quintuple? Heck, shape it into a cowpie, or a Victorian garden maze. lol

In short, there are wise limits ... even for customized fedoras.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/crosby_square/3425308526_89ac62d886.jpg

Tango Yankee
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Rhonda and I took our daughter out to dinner for her birthday last night. She chose Applebee's. As we were being seated we passed a display that included a hat with that double teardrop! I don't recall seeing one like that before. I didn't look closely at the display, but I'm sure it was meant to be a copy of Roy Roger's hat (thanks, JT, for the reminder!)

As it happens, Roy Rogers was born not too far from where I live, on Duck Run. We pass there from time to time when taking a short cut from my father-in-law's house into Portsmouth. There's a plaque up in front of the house, and, naturally, there's a Roy Rogers theme to a lot of things around here.

Timing is everything, I suppose... quite a coincidence that I should see one yesterday for the first time and then see another the very next day!

As to what do I think of it, well, I kind of like it. It certainly is unique!:eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

Wolfwood
06-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Hehe, that's really interesting! ;)

It does the job and no one will actually see it (except when it is off your head, perhaps), so it is ok in that regard.

avedwards
06-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Enough people have said that it can't be seen while worn. This depends on your height JLT. If you're tall then that applies, but if you're below 6' I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be able to see it. I'm 6'1" and on the few occaisions I see people in hats I can see how they are creased.

As for what it looks like, I am very split here. It shows imagination and skill. On the other hand, it is so unconventional that I don't think I'd ever be able to make myself wear it with anything less than costume personally. Then again, the top hat was unconventional when it was invented and it became the most accepted form of headwear twenty years later. [huh] So while it may be unconventional now, you could be one of the first people to popularise a new style (I realise that's an oxymoron as fedoras aren't that popular but I mean in relative terms comparing with other fedoras).

gtdean48
06-08-2009, 01:02 PM
It looks like a hoof print from a horse stepping directly in the middle of the inside of your hat! I've had plenty of western hats run over in the warm up pen & none turned out that nice! I think it is original & unique = wear that sucker!

RBH
06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I think it should have had a diamond crease and a thin ribbon, a bound edge would have been nice also. :)

djhatman
06-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Not a big fan myself, but if you like it and it works go for it.

J.T.Marcus
06-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I think it should have had a diamond crease and a thin ribbon, a bound edge would have been nice also. :)

How about a "double diamond"? :D

animator
06-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I really like it.

I have been waiting for the money to order a Roy Rogers style hat... I never thought of applying the crease to a fedora.

gtdean48
06-08-2009, 02:24 PM
:arated: :D

BobC
06-08-2009, 02:58 PM

lol lol lol lol Who was the star of that movie?

That certainly is interesting, Jim. I really admire your skill and patience to do something like that. How do you like it?

Slim Portly
06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I think it looks just fine.

scottyrocks
06-08-2009, 03:49 PM
To quote Mr. Horse from Ren & Stimpy,

'No sir, . . I don't like it!'

I admire the skill it took to create it, though.

jimmy the lid
06-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Gentlemen -- thanks to each and every one of you for the feedback. This thread makes me smile -- since I think it is just great that everyone felt free to offer their honest opinion. To those who liked the result -- thank you. To those who didn't -- thank you. I appreciate the fact that the "negative" opinions were offered in a good-humored and good-natured way.

BobC -- to answer your question, I've decided to just let this one sit for a while before reaching a final conclusion. When the idea came to me, I thought it would be a challenge just to see whether or not I could pull it off technically. From that standpoint, I'm really pleased with it. I also find it an interesting exercise in thinking outside the norm in terms of fedora creases. Marc Kitter recently posted a crease that reminded me of a deer hoof-print. Everyone's cup of tea? Not necessarily. But very creative, nevertheless. Western creases have certainly reflected a wide range of crease styles over the years, and I think it's fun to explore the same with fedoras.

That being said, whether the ultimate result is aesthetically pleasing in context is the real question. So, I really do like the look of the crease viewed in isolation. In context, however, I'm not so sure that it works organically with the overall look of the fedora. Because it's so different, I'm going to give it a little time to sink in before I decide what to do.

Incidentally, J.T. -- great info on the Roy Rogers crease. That's wild. I think the real estate on a Western crown may help to pull off that look a bit more organically. Thanks for that reference.

Cheers,
JtL

barrowjh
06-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I am stunned - looks nice, most folks would never notice.

bolthead
06-08-2009, 07:44 PM
....or dare I say, a "Double Diamond"? :eek:

BTW.....I like it, it's different and I've always been just that. Dare to be different was always my moto. [huh]

I just noticed that you beat me to it JT......

RBH
06-08-2009, 07:46 PM
.... Dare to be different was always my moto. [huh]

Yeah... but you look damn good in that wide{r} brim. :D

Chinaski
06-08-2009, 08:38 PM
It sounds like you don't really want it to be a center dent, and you came up with a pretty damn creative solution to the problem you had with the teardrop. And by the way, it's still a pretty deep teardrop even with the double thrown in.

I'd be hard pressed to find another solution! Is the crown just waaaayyy too high with a normal teardrop that doesn't touch the top of your head?

St.Ignatz
06-08-2009, 08:53 PM
JTL,
My suspicions have finally been confirmed. YOU SIR have been exposed! You really don't own all those fantastic hats after all do you? It has all been done with PHOTOSHOP ULTRA DIAMOND PLATINUM professional edition. Bravo, fooled us all for quite some time but it's over now.
Tom D.

HarpPlayerGene
06-09-2009, 10:34 AM
OK. It seems I just can't stay outta' this fun thread forever.

My first and lasting impression when I saw the images was that I like it very much - but that I wouldn't want it for me.

See, that's the bit with something like this. To me, it is very, very clever and well executed. Not surprising considering the source. My first thoughts were, that it made the felt look like it's as easy to work with as modeling clay - but I know better with these hats, so that's impressive. It also conjured up the image of water ripples (I'd call this crease the Mirage), but 'third boob' did not come to mind. lol

So, basically, I think there's nothing wrong with it. I think the same thing about any fedora with very symmetrical, perfect crown forming. I think the same thing about 'Gus' creases and 'Crystal Skulls', that 'Roy Rogers' number and whatever that 'Arrowhead' type crease was I saw once or twice. To me, they are all somewhat of a novelty and just because I like the more crinkly, cavalier style of creasing a fedora doesn't mean what you've done is wrong, Jimmy. It's actually amazing to me in the way that I can appreciate certain styles of automobiles or architecture even though I wouldn't necessarily want to own them for my own use.

kaosharper1
06-09-2009, 10:51 AM
That being said, whether the ultimate result is aesthetically pleasing in context is the real question. So, I really do like the look of the crease viewed in isolation. In context, however, I'm not so sure that it works organically with the overall look of the fedora. Because it's so different, I'm going to give it a little time to sink in before I decide what to do.
Cheers,
JtL

That's why it would be good to see it on your head. By itself it looks neat, but I'm not sure how it'll look when you wear it.

How about a mug shot?

Mr. Paladin
06-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Jimmy, I think this exercise proves you are indeed, the Chief of the Crease Po-lice! Beautifully executed and styled; not for me but still--amazing!

Chuck Bobuck
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Only a double bash Jimmy? I call this my "ripple of life on the pond over the head" crease. Once you get the 2nd crease, the others get easier. :D

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp296/IMBigfoot/ripple_hat-1-2.jpg

bolthead
06-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Only a double bash Jimmy? I call this my "ripple of life on the pond over the head" crease. Once you get the 2nd crease, the others get easier. :D

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp296/IMBigfoot/ripple_hat-1-2.jpg
Looks more like a rose of some sort. [huh]

hatted
06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Whoa! That's the infamous "Ferengi" Tear drop.

http://www.deagostiniedicola.it/immagini/20050311121823_ferengi.jpg

Chuck Bobuck
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Looks more like a rose of some sort. [huh]

bolthead,

That is a Photoshop rendition I made for this thread. Not the PHOTOSHOP ULTRA DIAMOND PLATINUM professional edition, that Tom D. suspected. Just the regular one. I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that. I don't have that much time and talent. :)

jimmy the lid
06-09-2009, 06:00 PM

That is hilarious! Nicely done. lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Chuck Bobuck
06-09-2009, 06:02 PM
That is hilarious! Nicely done. lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks! If you send me your Dobbs 100, I'll try and bash it like that for you. Could take awhile!! :D

jimmy the lid
06-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Just catchin' up to this thread today. Gene -- thanks for weighing in. ;)
And thanks for the continuing feedback from everyone.

kaosharper1 -- I'm not sure the noggin' shot would be that useful. I can tell you that, from the front and sides, the hat looks absolutely no different than before. The only difference would be the view from behind, depending on the angle. So, really, the overall look of the hat in general is pretty much the same.

I have deliberately set out the hat so that I can see it regularly when I'm wandering around the house -- just to see whether the whole look starts to be a little less novel and a bit more familiar over time. We'll see how it goes...:)

Cheers,
JtL

CRH
06-09-2009, 07:36 PM
http://www.alphatrilogy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/bucks_on_terrace.JPG

No bullets here. Just sanctuary ;).

feltfan
06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
But there's just one thing this shape reminds me of...

http://www.8asians.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/232-kunkimage11.jpg

Really, I'm just being honest. The hat looks good, but
inevitably, that's what I think. Too busy and, well...

There's a sort of zen to an understated, casual pinched hat.
That's what I usually prefer.

Sorry if I offended anyone (particularly JtL), but ... just sayin'.

jimmy the lid
06-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Ouch...

HarpPlayerGene
06-09-2009, 09:14 PM
feltfan, is that a candy kiss or a gold-plated poop? Never seen something like that. [huh]

-----------

Chuck Bobuck, I'm gonna' send Mr. Paladin over to revoke your 'artistic license'! lol

feltfan
06-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Sorry JtL, just callin' it as I see it. No offense intended.

HPG, er, the latter. I tried to find the, er, most polite
rendition I could come across.

jimmy the lid
06-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Sorry JtL, just callin' it as I see it. No offense intended.

HPG, er, the latter. I tried to find the, er, most polite
rendition I could come across.

I'm sure a couple of Mai Tai's would help to ease the pain. ;)

Incidentally, apparently the rendition you chose is an example of one that actually can be polished...:p

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty
06-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I thought about feltfan's view but, in a rare instance of holding back, decided against it. Now that it's out there, I'll give it a +1 and add soft-serve to the list of possible names.
http://integratedsupplements.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/05/ice_cream_on_black.jpg

feltfan
06-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm sure a couple of Mai Tai's would help to ease the pain. ;)

Incidentally, apparently the rendition you chose is an example of one that actually can be polished...:p

Heh. So now I owe JtL something like a dozen Mai Tais
and an ice cream cone for Lefty. Probably a cigar for IndyCop
and certainly some photos for Brad Bower.

I'm not sure I can afford to continue to post here.

indycop
06-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Probably a cigar for IndyCop

I'm not sure I can afford to continue to post here.
:whip: :essen: :D

Sooo Jimmy it's been a few, Are you wearing it? :D

HarpPlayerGene
06-12-2009, 09:19 PM
...apparently the rendition you chose is an example of one that actually can be polished...:p

Just use some SHINOLA.

:D

jimmy the lid
06-14-2009, 05:04 AM
Sooo Jimmy it's been a few, Are you wearing it? :D

It was fun to give it a try, but I think I'll be sending that lid over to Optimo for a complete re-block back into an open crown. I actually like the concept a lot, but it's a little too novel for me to get comfortable with in terms of how I want that particular hat to look. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Goose.
06-16-2009, 05:45 PM
OK. It seems I just can't stay outta' this fun thread forever.

My first and lasting impression when I saw the images was that I like it very much - but that I wouldn't want it for me. ...
but 'third boob' did not come to mind. lol

So, basically, I think there's nothing wrong with it. ...
It's actually amazing to me in the way that I can appreciate certain styles of automobiles or architecture even though I wouldn't necessarily want to own them for my own use.

Jimmy, like HPG, I have to chime in. Agree with what he posted, I too like it very much. But, I don't think I'd wear it. Dunno. I didn't think I'd like anchovies on pizza until I tried it. Had the too tall crown gig on my Fed IV Tawny...maybe I'll goof with it some rainy day (thank God it's summer ;))

I liked your work and my initial reaction was (and continues to be), "wow, that's some good work". Very nicely done. Impressive.

Triple F's comment about the three boobed woman cracked me up. Guess that's why I keep coming back to look. So, I had to post to confess my guilty pleasure.

Chinaski
06-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Triple F's comment about the three boobed woman cracked me up. Guess that's why I keep coming back to look. So, I had to post to confess my guilty pleasure.

Goose, you are absolved of your sins. Go now, and mount your lid on top of your guilt-free noggin.

krs2fer
06-16-2009, 09:52 PM
I LOVE IT! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I loved it 55years ago, when this guy did it.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x130/JTMarcus/royrogerscmdec6.jpg[/IMG]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x130/JTMarcus/gg-roy-rogers.jpg[IMG]

You beat me to it...:p