PDA

View Full Version : ~Recreating Hair styles of the 1940s~

RhodoraM21
09-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Hi girls! I haven't been saying much due to work and all that comes with it.Since you ladies know alot of vintage hair do's i was wondering if you could help.Now my question is---

When setting your hair for a hair do what's the best thing to use-

Hot curlers
Pin curls
Curling Iron
Rag curls
etc...

Since my hair is kinda short due to that i had to be my friends model for a Hair stylist event.My hair was cut in layers all over!!!! Worst thing of all they made me look like some broad from the Beverly Hills 900210!!!!!{ :cry: }. they have grown since but i have a harder time doing my hair.Any of you ladies have any advice? Any help would be swell.

jitterbugdoll
09-01-2005, 09:58 PM
I can relate to the short hair issues--a few years back I had the worst hair cut (I asked for Marilyn Monroe's short 1950s 'do, and it was not for me ;) ). Took forever to grow out, but while dealing with it I found that the best hot curlers to use were a brand called 'Hot Sticks'. They look like rubber perm rods and heat up nicely, and so create a faux pin curl effect. I believe they still sell them in stores, although under a different name.

In terms of cold sets, I strongly recommend them over hot sets (although hot sets are great for touch ups and days when you don?ǨѢt have time for a wet set.) I can get 2-3 days out of a wet set, and my hair will remain curled until it becomes wet again. I have tried sponge rollers, rag curlers, and pin curls, and you will get a slightly different look with each method. Pin curls would be the authentic 1930s-40s setting technique; however, they do take some dexterity and practice to master. Rag curlers work well, especially for a cold (completely wet) set, and were also used in the 1940s. But, they take a bit of practice as well (this is probably my current favorite setting method, though.) Sponge rollers work well when it comes to getting a consistent set--when I use this method I know exactly how the hair will curl (with pin curls/rag curls, you will get some random curls if the hair is not carefully rolled.) The only trouble is that they are a tad uncomfortable to sleep on, as opposed to the other aforementioned sets.

For a wet set you definitely need some type of setting lotion--there is a nice hair thread which discusses everyone's favorites (do a search of the archives, as there are a few threads devoted to ladies hairstyles.) And make sure that your hair is completely dry before you remove the curlers; otherwise, you will be left with a wavy, wild mess!

This website helped me the most when I first learned how to set and style my hair:
www.nocturne.com/swing/hair

Hope this helps!

jitterbugdoll
09-01-2005, 10:00 PM
I forgot to mention that shorter hair is also very authentic when it comes to 1940s styles, and is much easier to work with when learning vintage sets. So don't fret!

RhodoraM21
09-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Minutes ago i was reading the post on "Suits".WOW!! you posted some wonderful pictures, and your suits ahhh just to die for a must for a girl who wants to look classy.I notice that now in days is so simple to style your hair, one look that i just hate and it kills me is "Just got out of bed,don't hand me a brush OK" God thats just uhhh.I love the way how women would look so classy and glamours, its sad to know that in the years we are living there is non of that.Pin curls hmmm, you have to learn to master the method of doing the set of pincurls.I use to do that when my hair was medium and no layers and the result was so nice.

But now that my hair is well so to say "modern" that's of course if i don't set it up in curlers or etc, it takes more time to do and if it wont come out the way i think it looks good i just wont go out.So many times i just wear a nice head scarf.I have a bunch of stuff to do old period hair styles but my hair is hard to manage,and i always say if your dressed vintage your hair and make up are just essential to finish the look.You always have pretty hair i notice in your "photo shoot" tread your hair look really nice.Like a year ago i got a perm wave it was nice it gave me the hair look like jean harlow with a hint softer wavers but is hard to maintain since you have to use certain products so the perm wont just wash off.The worst thing of all my hair takes forever to grow { :cry: } i guess everybody has different type of hair problems.

Angelicious
09-02-2005, 02:12 AM
I forgot to mention that shorter hair is also very authentic when it comes to 1940s styles, and is much easier to work with when learning vintage sets.
:( Drat.

The worst thing of all my hair takes forever to grow i guess everybody has different type of hair problems.
Yup... We've had a few on here bemoaning their fine hair which won't take curls; I have the opposite problem, with a bit of natural curl, which is nice, but TOO MUCH HAIR! I got my hair done for the school ball way back when, and the stylist did what she normally did, and still had half a head of hair to go!

On the plus side, I can do reverse rolls (or at least a lot like them?) without rats. On the minus side, I can't do a full head of pincurls without help, and it takes about an hour just to pin them in (I think my hair might be getting too long now anyway). Snoods and hairnets are My Friends. :p

If anyone has any clues for people at either extreme (fine/thick hair), that would be great...

Vanessa
09-02-2005, 09:20 AM
For best results with my long, very fine hair, I use a cold wet set with a bit of styling aid (setting lotion/spray) and pin curls. I love pin curls. . . I've gotten to the point where I can do my whole head in 20-30 minutes. For a more controlled set of the curl I use foam rollers.

carpecaligo
09-03-2005, 06:06 PM
I have the opposite problem as well, I have a head full of thick, ringlet style curls. (think Shirley Temple, only longer and dark)
Trying to achieve 40's waves results in disaster - somewhere between 80's big-hair and a fro after a thunderstorm.

ITG
09-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Like jitterbugdoll, I use hotsticks periodically and love 'em as they are quick and easy. I notice the curl lasts longer if I roll my hair right after I wash and dry it (as opposed to the next the morning).

CherryRed
09-04-2005, 07:39 AM
I have had very thick naturally curly hair most of my life. About 6 yrs ago I had it straightened. Since it grew out my hair has had less curl than it did when I was younger. Since having my son my hair has thinned some. My hair actully does better with vintage styles than modern. I haven't done anything really complicated yet. I use the larger pink foam rollers and hair gel and I get a look similar to Deanna's in my avitar picture. I want to get some better setting lotion as soon as payday rolls around. ;)

Dahlia
09-14-2005, 07:57 PM
http://www.suspense-movies.com/stars/betty-grable/

Any suggestions on how to create the hairstyle on the right of the page? I assume there are rats involved, but really, I'm not even sure I would know how to use those... :o

jitterbugdoll
09-14-2005, 08:10 PM
If you have thick enough hair, you can avoid rats altogether (although they are nice for the back roll, which takes a bit more dexterity than front rolls.)

Anyway, this is one way that I wear my hair (Betty had glorious 1940s hair and is a great inspiration ;) ) I create one small roll on the left side of my head, and then form two rolls on the right--but I blend them together to form one ?Ǩcontinuous?ǨѢ roll. Make sure you backcomb for extra height.

The back is basically tucked under into one large roll. To use a rat, you simply roll the hair around it as if it were a giant curler. Insert bobby pins underneath the hair and into the rat, and make sure you blend the outer portion of the hair over the edges of the rat. A visible rat is a bit of a hair faux pas ;) You can purchase foam rats at Sally's, but I've only seen them in gray and they are hard to hide due to the thick ends (they are a uniform tube in shape, and you have to shave off the edges at an angle to make them blend into your own hair.) The authentic method of making your own rats is to stuff your own hair into an old stocking?Ǩthese are much easier to use.

Hope this helps!

Dahlia
09-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Thank you for your response, jitterbugdoll!

How exactly would you create a roll without using a rat (using your hair alone)? I think my hair would be thick enough, but I have never tried it before (not even the backcombing) so I'm not quite sure where to begin.

Thanks again, I think I could create a manual with all the tips you've given me so far. ;)

jitterbugdoll
09-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Glad to be of help, Dahlia! 1940s hairstyles are a passion of mine ;)

Well, front rolls are easy to make without rats. You simply take a section of the hair (roughly in a triangle shape), back comb it slightly, and then roll it around your fingers so that it forms a cone-shaped roll--open at the front, and tight at the back. To create one roll out of two rolls, I grasp the section closest to the part and roll it backwards, so that it is fairly perpendicular to the part. Both ends will be open, although the end away from the part should be slightly tighter. It doesn?ǨѢt matter if that side looks a little messy--it's going to blend into another roll. Grab the leftover section of hair, and make a roll to match the other side--but smooth it out so that it looks like a continuation of the roll next to it. Pin the front and back of all three rolls?Ǩbut slide one long pin between the double rolls to keep them neat and tight.

For a back roll sans a rat, you pretty much have to 'stuff' the hair under itself. I start at one side and work my way around, pinning as I go. Back rolls do tend to look better when formed around a rat--but they are not required.

Ms. Grable had very thick, full hair, so she likely got away without rats. Of course, she also had a personal hairdresser?Ǩ :)

Dahlia
09-14-2005, 08:40 PM
... could you be my personal hairdresser? hehe ;)

Thanks again, I'll be practicing (with your notes close by!) I'll let you know how it goes. :)

swinggal
09-17-2005, 11:06 PM
I have thin hair too. I find that if I curl my hair first, I don't need rats to do my front rolls. The curl helps the roll take shape very easily and little backcombing is needed then. I use rats when I dont have time to pin-curl or use hot-rollers. I make rats out my own hair and press them into a flat pancake by rubbing my hands together. Then, I just roll them into a sausage.

Front rolls aren't hard, they just take practice. The more you try them - the nimbler your fingers will become. The same goes for pin curls.

As Jitterbugdoll said, Nocture is a great site to use. I have added loads of hair links to my clubs' website if you want to take a look. Easier when they are all in one place:
http://www.perthswing.com/fashion.htm

Just scroll down til you see the Vintage Hairstyles info.

Shorty
09-18-2005, 09:52 PM
I've been wondering how do you (and the moviestars from the 40's) add the lovely shine to your hair? Do you use pomade or something like that?

jitterbugdoll
09-18-2005, 10:30 PM
I like to use a shine spray--you can pick one up at Target or the drugstore for under $5.

However, I do find that setting lotion leaves my hair with a very nice sheen on its own.

Vanessa
09-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi there! So last night (for a luau in Hawaii) I did rolls in my hair for the first time. Two large rolls on either side of the front with a roll along the nape of my neck connecting them. You can see it - I changed my avatar.
Now...can I just say wow - I want to thank everyone for their tips. I was stressing about how it might look, but I just pulled up this thread, read through it again and went to work. And it was very easy.
So. . .thanks!

ITG
03-18-2006, 10:36 PM
I thought I'd let y'all know about an auction I put up this past week in case you don't check the classifieds. There's a Buy It Now price:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=7516

CWetherby
03-19-2006, 11:38 AM
For best results with my long, very fine hair, I use a cold wet set with a bit of styling aid (setting lotion/spray) and pin curls. I love pin curls. . . I've gotten to the point where I can do my whole head in 20-30 minutes. For a more controlled set of the curl I use foam rollers.

Can anyone recommend a good setting lotion?

Thanks!

ITG
03-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Lottabody is a good one you can buy at Sally's Beauty Salon. Do a search here for it. You'll have to dilute it before using. I just put some in a spray bottle and diluted with water, making application very easy.

humblestumble
03-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Havent read through this whole thread, but when my friend comes over to help me with my hair in the near future, she's going to use brush rollers on me with some gel. She also is going to use heated rollers. And she suggests me getting a bonnet hairdryer. Also, she said to invest in some picks (not afro picks, these things are kind of like miniature hairsticks, rounded and bulbous at one end) She went to school for this sort of thing and had to learn the old styles to graduate. I'm so excited :)

jp*81
04-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Here are some links with instructions on different hair-dos.

http://vintagememoirs.com/hair.html

http://www.vintagebybuttons.com/hairdo/hairdo.htm

Live Journal also has a community about Vintage Hair.

http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=vintage_hair

jp*81
04-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Here is another site that shows the haircut and other instructions.:)

http://www.rockabillyhairstyle.com/haircut.html

mysterygal
04-30-2006, 09:19 PM
I would be VERY careful about what kind of shine spray you got...I've tried a couple that left my hair feeling extremely greasy....not exactly the look I go for. I've been using John Frieda's brilliant brunette. It gets ris of the frizzies and leaves your hair nice and silky...if I'm curling my hair, I put the cream on first,put rollers in,then hairspray the heck out of it and....whalla! beautiful ringlets

fortworthgal
04-30-2006, 09:38 PM
For shine I really like Aveda's brilliant line. For a less expensive alternative, Paves shine serum with essential oils is awesome!

mysterygal
04-30-2006, 09:46 PM
oh yeah, aveda, they have a great product line...and their products don't smell half bad either :D

fortworthgal
04-30-2006, 09:56 PM
I like the aroma, and the brilliant line is awesome for creating shine. But I always end up going back to my Biolage!

jp*81
05-05-2006, 11:44 PM
I like the "Handlebars".
http://static.flickr.com/55/141219607_453ff6621e_o.jpg

mysterygal
05-06-2006, 07:51 AM
lol that is cute!

jitterbugdoll
06-29-2006, 09:07 AM
would be VERY careful about what kind of shine spray you got...I've tried a couple that left my hair feeling extremely greasy....

I use one by Citre Shine or one by Got2B--the trick to preventing the "greasies" is to avoid using any shine product too liberally. Just a few sprays (one for each roll, and a couple sprays in the back) and you'll be good to go with hair that looks naturally shiny!

DancingSweetie
07-14-2006, 06:37 PM
I have the opposite problem as well, I have a head full of thick, ringlet style curls. (think Shirley Temple, only longer and dark)
Trying to achieve 40's waves results in disaster - somewhere between 80's big-hair and a fro after a thunderstorm.

carpecaligo I have the same problem. My curls are a little looser than ringlet, but I have yet to figure out how to get it into a vintage style. I may have to stick with a snood.

jitterbugdoll
07-14-2006, 06:53 PM
DancingSweetie, have you ever tried setting your hair? Women with naturally curly hair (and permed or straight hair, too) would set their hair to achieve the desired curl/wave pattern (rather then leaving it natural).

I have a friend with curly hair who had hers set in pin curls for her wedding; when styled, her hair ended up in soft 1940s waves.

Lady Day
07-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I have thin hair too. I find that if I curl my hair first, I don't need rats to do my front rolls. The curl helps the roll take shape very easily and little backcombing is needed then. I use rats when I dont have time to pin-curl or use hot-rollers. I make rats out my own hair and press them into a flat pancake by rubbing my hands together. Then, I just roll them into a sausage.

Hehehehe, those were the cutest food analogies for hair. lol

LD

cadence
07-14-2006, 08:17 PM
My favorite and the most effective way to curl my hair seems to be pin curls. As i was born with dead straight hair, nature has tried its hardest to keep it that way. I found that no matter which way I tried to curl my hair and no matter how much hair product i used to try and make it stay, it always managed to fall within a few hours of curling it (until recently, my record was 5hours). I decided to try pin curls for the first time about a week ago, and to my astonishment they stayed in well and truly for around 36 hours. Sure after the first 12 hours (and sleeping on them) the fell a little, but there was still curl there. So i say give the pin curls a shot and the best way is to wet your hair first and add a little bit of light hair gell to the section of hair before you curl it around your finger. This is a fantastic site for step by step instructions, it has instructions on how to do Pin curls, Rag curls and Finger waves

http://www.nocturne.com/swing/hair/hair.html

Miss Dottie
07-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Pin curls look fabulous, but they look like they would take forever.

How long does it take you to pincurl your hair?

jitterbugdoll
07-19-2006, 11:27 AM
It takes me about 10 minutes to set my medium-length, thick hair in the evenings. Pin curls do take a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of them you can do them quickly and efficiently.

cadence
07-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Pin curls look fabulous, but they look like they would take forever.

How long does it take you to pincurl your hair?

As i mentioned before, i have only just learnt how to do pin curls. I have not yet mastered them, but i am very pleased with the results as a novice pin-curler. My hair is 19 1/2 inches long (still trying to grow it) and it takes me about 1/2 an hour. but as i said i am a novice, and i'm sure i will get faster with time. Good luck!! ;)

Laraquan
02-11-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm glad to find this thread. My hair is very thick and with a wayward natural curl to it and a bit of the old Irish frizz and so I've largely tried to put it up in a ponytail and forget about it. With this advice, I should hopefully be able to master some of the more simple hair styles, though I still can't find a snood which would cut back on the styling time dramatically, and when I tried to buy setting lotion, I got given heat protective foundation lotion from the store clerk, which I don't believe is the same thing. That'll teach me for not reading the label.

So what would you ladies think are the simpler 1940s styles to recreate? My hair is at my shoulder blades so I can't do those very simple short hair styles (I don't think short hair suits my face at all).

starla
02-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm also new to the vintage hairstyles thing (the vintage thing in general, even). I have wavy hair that's cut in layers to about my chin...the last time I tried pincurls in my hair they didn't turn out well at all (I think I combed them out wrong or something, maybe.). I'm trying to get the courage to try again.

Anyway, my question is what is a snood? I've heard people refer to them a lot and have seen them on vintage clothes websites but I'm not sure exactly what they're for. Is it just for girls with longer hair or can short-haired girls get in on them too?

Thanks! :)

ShooShooBaby
02-23-2007, 03:29 PM
i originally posted this in the 21" long hair thread, but realized it would be better fit here!

i've been toying with the idea of getting layers cut into my hair for curling. i have stick-straight hair that doesn't like to curl, and it seems like it would make things a lot easier. has anyone gotten any of the cuts in that 40s hairstyles book? like the shingle, baby haircut, etc... i'd like to get a better visual of what they look uncurled, before i take the plunge. i don't do 40s hairstyles everyday, or even close, so that's a little important to me!

also, i've found that great source for hairstyles are old yearbooks. i'm sure peolpe did their hair a LITTLE nicer than they did everyday, but you still see a lot of hairstyles that don't involve tricky rolls and such. i can post some pics from a 1940 high school yearbook i just got, if anyone's game, and i can also look for my 1943 college (much more skilled stylists there!) yearbook as well. let me know if you're interested!

jitterbugdoll
02-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Anyway, my question is what is a snood? I've heard people refer to them a lot and have seen them on vintage clothes websites but I'm not sure exactly what they're for. Is it just for girls with longer hair or can short-haired girls get in on them too?

Thanks! :)

A snood is a crocheted net used to contain the back of your hair, like this:

http://ladyhawkesite.tripod.com/snoodb.jpg

i've been toying with the idea of getting layers cut into my hair for curling. i have stick-straight hair that doesn't like to curl, and it seems like it would make things a lot easier. has anyone gotten any of the cuts in that 40s hairstyles book? like the shingle, baby haircut, etc... i'd like to get a better visual of what they look uncurled, before i take the plunge. i don't do 40s hairstyles everyday, or even close, so that's a little important to me!

A good basic layered cut is all you need (you can have the corners rounded as well); my original stylist, who trained in the 1960s, said it was not necessary to get one of the cuts listed in the hairstyles book. What matters most is your setting technique; as that will give you a wide variety of looks with one basic cut.

also, i've found that great source for hairstyles are old yearbooks. i'm sure peolpe did their hair a LITTLE nicer than they did everyday, but you still see a lot of hairstyles that don't involve tricky rolls and such. i can post some pics from a 1940 high school yearbook i just got, if anyone's game, and i can also look for my 1943 college (much more skilled stylists there!) yearbook as well. let me know if you're interested!

I have a few yearbooks as well; it's kind of funny to see some of the very "grownup" hairstyles on teenagers. But, they do show what the various styles look like on real people, who had varying degrees of talent when it came to styling their hair. :)

ShooShooBaby
02-23-2007, 04:03 PM
A good basic layered cut is all you need (you can have the corners rounded as well); my original stylist, who trained in the 1960s, said it was not necessary to get one of the cuts listed in the hairstyles book. What matters most is your setting technique; as that will give you a wide variety of looks with one basic cut.

good to know - thanks for this info!

I have a few yearbooks as well; it's kind of funny to see some of the very "grownup" hairstyles on teenagers. But, they do show what the various styles look like on real people, who had varying degrees of talent when it came to styling their hair. :)

you should see the middle school one i have. some of the hairstyles are REALLY bad. but it's obvious that they were trying really hard!

GoldLeaf
02-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Here is another site that shows the haircut and other instructions.:)

http://www.rockabillyhairstyle.com/haircut.html

This is the one I was thinking about when I made a post on a different thread earlier.

JBD -

I know you love your Hot Sticks. I saw some the other day in Wal-Mart and they confused me a little :p It appears that the way to use them is to wrap your hair in a spiral around the rod. Is that so? And if it is, how do you secure the ends of your hair so they don't unwind?

This is what I get for being a tom-boy when I was younger! My mom offered to teach me to curl my hair with rollers, but I didn't take her up on it :o

Also, I am getting the hang of my sponge rollers. I know that JBD mentioned she uses 6 curlers on each side and 4 in the back. I don't know if I am using hair sections that are too small, but I seem to need more than that.

Does anyone have a diagram of a head with the placement of rollers so I can get an idea if I am in the ballpark? Also, what size sponge rollers? Mine by Goody come in pink (large) blue (medium-large) yellow (medium-small) and purple (small). At least I think those are the colors, I am a bit color blind :rolleyes:

I always get about half way done with my rollers and my arms are tired, I am frustrated and its been about 45 minutes. I am getting better .... I think .... so I haven't gotten to practice with the actual curled hair yet lol If I ever get all my hair rolled ..... one day!

jitterbugdoll
02-23-2007, 05:05 PM
JBD -

I know you love your Hot Sticks. I saw some the other day in Wal-Mart and they confused me a little :p It appears that the way to use them is to wrap your hair in a spiral around the rod. Is that so? And if it is, how do you secure the ends of your hair so they don't unwind?

Also, I am getting the hang of my sponge rollers. I know that JBD mentioned she uses 6 curlers on each side and 4 in the back. I don't know if I am using hair sections that are too small, but I seem to need more than that.

Does anyone have a diagram of a head with the placement of rollers so I can get an idea if I am in the ballpark? Also, what size sponge rollers? Mine by Goody come in pink (large) blue (medium-large) yellow (medium-small) and purple (small). At least I think those are the colors, I am a bit color blind :rolleyes:

I always get about half way done with my rollers and my arms are tired, I am frustrated and its been about 45 minutes. I am getting better .... I think .... so I haven't gotten to practice with the actual curled hair yet lol If I ever get all my hair rolled ..... one day!

You just wrap the hair around the stick evenly--not in a spiral, just around and around in tight, even layers. The ends of the hair are then held in place by the rest of the hair; they don't pop out or anything. Also, if you hair is layered or slippery, you can quickly roll the hair, let the heat soften its wayward tendencies, and then re-roll it neatly.

You more or less place the rollers in the same pattern as you would pin curl the hair, so any pin curl diagram will give you a basic idea as to how to set the hair with rollers to achieve the desired finished product. I roll the hair down and towards my face; I usually only follow a very general pattern, as I want the hair to be soft and fluffy, and not necessarily with a well-defined, specific wave pattern. I don't use any roller larger then the medium-small size, as I prefer to work with a tighter initial curl, which can be brushed out to soften it. My hair is fairly long, and I roll 1-1.5 inch wide sections around each roller. Shorter hair requires taking somewhat smaller sections, as it is more difficult to tightly wind it around the roller. The thickness and texture of your hair will determine how large a section you need to take; you just have to experiment to get the hang of it. :)

humblestumble
03-07-2007, 06:21 PM
I just put up another video on how to do reverse rolls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkOHSCye4xk

Kim_B
03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
You are a doll! That was very easy to follow...I'll have to give this a try over the weekend and let you know how it goes! Thanks so much!

goldwyn girl
03-08-2007, 12:09 AM
That was great!! I can't wait for my fringe to grow out again so I can get a thicker roll. You make it look so simple, well done, Thank you

kerry
03-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Great tutorial, very helpful for a newbie like me,thanks. Ditto the growing out fringe:)

RetroMom
03-08-2007, 06:51 AM
Great instructions!

My daughter is going to a formal on Friday night and we were just talking about what we should do with her long hair.

We can't wait to try it out!!:)

Grnidwitch
03-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Great job Humble.

Ahhhh, Aqua Net, the Queen of hairsprays.

Sunny
03-08-2007, 07:58 AM
That is one of the best how-to videos I've ever seen! The lighting and your hair show detail extremely well, your instructions are clear and you explain why and how you part and how you use the hairspray, and your editing is great. Thank you so much for doing this!

Helen Troy
03-08-2007, 08:20 AM
That video is wonderful! Does anybody know any other video tutorials with other vintage hairstyles?

Vettie Lamour
03-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks humblestumble! I can't wait to try reverse rolls this weekend. You made it look simple. I haven't had good luck when I've tried them before.

xoxo

goldwyn girl
03-08-2007, 08:33 PM
humblestumble, I used your technique today and did my best rolls yet. Thanks a bunch xxx

Kaela
03-09-2007, 08:53 AM
I also have naturally curly hair, and sometimes if I'm at home and lazy, crimping my natural curls and letting them dry can end up in decent 1940's waves when I brush it out (after *completely* dry!)
But my natural waves help me to set my hair in long lasting curls. I encourage girls with natural curls to try to take advantage of these! After you wash your hair, let it dry enough to see where your natural curls are coming in, and start the curl there. If you take advantage of this your hair will stay in a set longer!
Setting lotion is still necessary, though!

Sometimes after I set my hair, I just get a little atomizer filled with water and spray the dry spots to make sure they curl, because sometimes I like to avoid setting lotion so I can brush my hair out without breaking it!
I have some photos of my pin curl sets that I liked (when my hair was shorter, and peroxide blonde, too) http://lipstickvogue.com/pincurls.html
The last photo I used a lot of setting lotion because I went to the beach and it was very windy!

NoirDame
04-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi Ladies!

I just started doing 1940s styles on a daily basis over a week ago. I am concerned about daily stresses of curling irons on my hair and am interested in alternate methods. I'm a bit intimidated by pincurls, also my hair might not turn out.

I have hair to the nape of my neck in length, but I am growing out a razored cut, so the ends have a lot of texture which makes the ends likely to pop out of a pin curl. As my hair grows out, I will trim the ends to an even length. I bought some foam rollers to try, but I don't look forward to sleeping on them. I'd like to get a bonnet dryer. Still, I am more interested in wet or cold sets since I did some fingerwave sets over night and they are much smoother and longer lasting and not as damaging to my hair. Plus, the waves are SO much nicer than the Marcel iron I have.

I have contemplated taking the plastic bit out of the foam and just rolling that up and pinning, but I wonder if they would flatten as I slept...

Help?

:)

Joie DeVive
04-25-2007, 04:28 PM
I haven't tried using the rollers sans plastic, but I hate sleeping on foam rollers. I'm a bit of a baby about it. My mom still sleeps on the all plastic ones with teeth from the 50s/60s. :eek:

I swear by rag curlers. I find them more comfortable to sleep in, and I sure do get curls. I have to be careful though, if I wind them too tight I end up looking like a poodle!! lol They can also take forever to dry, so I wait until my hair is partway dry before putting them in.

I'm sure the other gals have more experience than I, so they may well have better suggestions. Gals?

ohairas
04-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Dame you might want to try pillow curlers. They are more square and the curl comes out more naturally shaped, but comfy to sleep in. I like them, it's what I used in my avatar, or check out the 'show us your hairdos" thread.

Also, if you want to take the plastic out of the foam curlers, try weaving a rag thru the hole to tie them into your hair. Or some type of ribbon that will be easy to tie but not slip out. HTP!

Oh, also get some end papers for your razored layers. They'll roll up nice and smooth then!

Nikki

Daisy Buchanan
04-26-2007, 07:31 AM
I've had a lot of trouble sleeping in foam rollers too. I started using Sassy Curlers (http://www.euroteezer.com/curlers/curlers.html) about 2 months ago, thanks to the suggestion of Jitterbugdoll, and I love them. They are easy to use, lightweight, and comfortable to sleep in. Goody makes a version that seem a little nicer than the sassy curlers, but I can't seem to find them anywhere and they are not online. I've been told you can get them at Kroeger market but we don't have them in the northeast.
I've been getting nice, long lasting curls using them. I dampen my hair with setting lotion, curl, and sleep in them. I can curl pretty big sections into one of them to get a bigger curl. I highly recommend these for their ease of use and comfort.

I'll also second Nikki's suggestion of end papers. I've got razored ends that I'm trying to grow out, so when I curl them they tend to get kinked. The end papers make my ends nice and smooth and they no longer pop out or kink like they do if I don't wrap them before curling.

If you're interested in a Bonnet dryer, I got one made by Hot Tools. I did a lot of research on them before I bought one, and this brand seemed to have the better reviews. I've only used it once, and I loved what it did to my hair. I set my hair as I would have if I were going to sleep in a set and sat with the bonnet on for a little over an hour. My hair was so smooth and silky, and my curls didn't frizz at all, which tends to happen when I sleep in curlers. I got a soft bonnet so I can sit anywhere with it on, verses the hard bonnet which limits the places you can use it. The entire dryer is quite small and compact, everything folds up into a nice sized box so it doesn't take up a lot of room like the hard bonnet dryers do.

pretty faythe
04-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Daisy, is there Smiths or Food 4 Less out that way? They are all part of the Kroeger family and many carry the same products.

jitterbugdoll
04-26-2007, 11:54 AM
I definitely recommend the foam stick curlers as the easiest and fastest way to achieve a vintage set. They are also much more comfortable than sponge rollers, and quite inexpensive, too. The set they produce is similar to a rag curler set, but they are faster to roll and remove in the morning, too.

KittyT
04-26-2007, 12:56 PM
I definitely recommend the foam stick curlers as the easiest and fastest way to achieve a vintage set. They are also much more comfortable than sponge rollers, and quite inexpensive, too. The set they produce is similar to a rag curler set, but they are faster to roll and remove in the morning, too.

i second this. i've been using the foam stick curlers for awhile now - they are very easy to use and very comfortable to sleep in, and linking them through each other gives a nice lift at the roots. i recently had layers put in my hair and when i set it with the foam stick rollers (ok, my hair is only about chin length, so i use smaller sponge rollers for the shorter hair underneath, and i do my bangs with pincurls), i end up with curls or waves that look like they were set with pincurls. they give a really lovely set!

Daisy Buchanan
04-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Daisy, is there Smiths or Food 4 Less out that way? They are all part of the Kroeger family and many carry the same products.

Thanks for the info Faythe:) We don't have any of those markets around here. I'm gonna check my local chain markets to see if they happen to sell them there, just so I can have an extra set. I've been using mine so much, they are getting pretty worn. I think the ones made by Goody are of higher quality and might last longer, since I use them just about every night.

VanillaT
04-26-2007, 07:10 PM
I would like to ask if bangs are period for the 1940s. I don't seem to come across many photos with them. If so, what kind of bangs? If not, is there any other time or place in the past when they were popular?

NoirDame
04-26-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm interested in these, but how do they work? I've looked at the pictures and I'm a bit confused...

Thanks!

OH! and one more thing.... what works best for my routine once I start exercising again in a few days is to set my hair at night and then work out in the morning. I don't get sweaty or anything as I'm only walking briskly, but I don't want my hair to get messed up. Do you think it would be best to keep something like the sassy curlers in while I work out and then take them down?

BonnieJean
04-28-2007, 08:06 PM
I've used these a couple of times, but I'm wondering if I'm setting my hair wrong with them. I have fine, thin hair that takes a curl fairly easy. My hair is very curly after I use these, no matter how large of a section of hair that I use. Would any of you gals that use the Sassy Curlers be brave enough to post a photo of yourself wearing the Sassy Curlers? I'm wondering if I placed the curlers wrong. I ended up looking like some type of Medusa with the pointed ends of the curlers sticking straight up. (Kind of terrifying to look at in the morning! lol ) If I can't get them to create the style I want, I may sell them.

Currently, I'm having better luck curling my hair with the Hot Sticks and after the hair has been heated thoroughly with the sticks, but not cooled, I'll take the sticks out and put in the sponge rollers and then let the hair completely cool in the sponge rollers. It give me slightly larger and smoother curls. Today I did rolls and curled the ends and I was rather pleased with the results. But I don't have any photos because hubby is gone for the weekend and took the camera :( .

Kitty_Sheridan
04-29-2007, 12:53 PM
I have to say I was confused as to what you all meant by Sassy Curlers so i did a google image search. This might help:
http://www.onlinehairstudio.net/faceshape_pear_3d.html

http://www.updos.org/updos_sophis/updos_sophis.html

might help.;)

BonnieJean
04-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Kitty, for informative links. I was curling my hair with the Sassy curlers by the 2nd link's method. The first link showed the hair to be set like large pincurls. That's very interesting. I just wish there was more details explaining the whole styling process with the Sassy curlers. There wasn't much info given with the curlers when I received them.
Guess I'll just have to keep practicing....;)

KittyT
04-29-2007, 03:52 PM
I was curling my hair with the Sassy curlers by the 2nd link's method. The first link showed the hair to be set like large pincurls. That's very interesting. I just wish there was more details explaining the whole styling process with the Sassy curlers. There wasn't much info given with the curlers when I received them.
Guess I'll just have to keep practicing....;)

i use the foam pillow rollers, which are pretty much the same thing as the Sassy curlers. I just roll all my hair down, and toward my face in the front. With slightly layered hair, that kind of simple set looks just like pincurls when brushed out!

Kimberly
04-29-2007, 05:08 PM
I use the foam curlers too and have noticed that my hair is now getting frizzy after using them. I don't know if it's because my hair is getting longer or not. [huh] . I am not due for another cut for another 3 weeks or so and don't want her to cut too much off because I want it just above my shoulder blades. Perhaps I need larger rollers? What size rollers do all of you use with slightly above shoulder length hair?

Thanks

ohairas
04-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Watch your tension when rolling on foam and sponge curlers. If your hair is wound really tight at the ends they will appear quite frizzed when brushed out. Also, sleeping in rollers can frizz hair just from wallering around.

Larger curlers can help. Esp. if your hair takes curl extremely well. Mine is like that and even after I brush it out I usually have to put in some shine balm and form each ringlet around my fingers. Kind of how the beautician did the little girl's hair in that video someone posted!

Just keep trying different things Kimberly, don't give up on growing it out!

By the way, I wish they'd make hot rollers like they used too! I've bought a few brand new sets over the past few years and they do NOT hold/curl well at all. My old set would last forever, I usually hated it the first day it was so curly!

Nikki

pretty faythe
04-29-2007, 11:05 PM
just found this page, thought it might help some people
http://blog.bdmhistory.com/uploaded_images/hair.png

Daisy Buchanan
04-30-2007, 01:24 AM
I too was going to tell you to watch your tension when you put your hair in the curlers. Also, end papers work really well at preventing the lower portion of the curl from frizzing and also kinking. I don't know about you, but I tend to wrap the bottom part of the section I am curling a bit too tight. I've been trying to be better about this, but I feel like if I don't wrap this part with a little added tension, I won't be able to place the rest of the section into the curler. I've been better at trying to keep it looser, the end papers not only prevent frizz and kink but they make the section easier to place in the curler. I don't feel like once I start rolling the ends will be too loose and just slip over the curler rather than wrapping around it.
Also, after I have dampened the section with some setting lotion, I add a dab of anti-frizz/shine serum, especially to the ends right before placing in the curler. I still have to add the serum when my hair is taken out of the curlers, I do this before combing them out, but I think adding a dab of anti-frizz serum before curling does lessen my frizz. I know getting a hair cut will also help this, but I just haven't gotten around to that. Supposedly sleeping on a satin pillow case will also reduce frizz.
I don't think, no matter how much product I use, I will ever be able to have hair with no frizz. In the summer it can just be uncontrollable due to the high humidity we have. Spraying my hair with a sea salt/kosher salt water solution before setting helps to activate my curls and makes them less frizzy. I always end up with a head full of nice curls after a day at the beach. I figured it was from the salt water and humidity, so I gave it a try at home and it worked. Warning, it does make your hair a little more tangled, thus trickier to brush out. But, it works for me especially on humid days.:)

Thanks for the link Faythe! That is very cool. :)

Daisy Buchanan
04-30-2007, 01:41 AM
I'm interested in these, but how do they work? I've looked at the pictures and I'm a bit confused...

Thanks!

OH! and one more thing.... what works best for my routine once I start exercising again in a few days is to set my hair at night and then work out in the morning. I don't get sweaty or anything as I'm only walking briskly, but I don't want my hair to get messed up. Do you think it would be best to keep something like the sassy curlers in while I work out and then take them down?

Hi Noir Dame! The Sassy Curlers work the same way that Hot Sticks, the hot rubber curling sticks work. Basically you wrap your hair around the stick as you would around a regular curler. You can do them tight or loose, in small sections or bigger sections depending on how tight and thick you want your curl to be. Then once you have rolled up your hair you just take the straight end and place it in the hole on the other end. You can just push it in til it's secure, not pulling too tight if you want a looser curl. Or you can pull it through all the way, having a lot of tension, to make a tighter curl. They are very easy to use and no annoying clips or pins to keep the curler in place. They are also really lightweight, they are the most comfortavel curelers to sleep in.
It would be just fine to leave the curlers in while you do your morning exercise. I usually don't take mine out first thing in the morning. I usually shower with mine still in for I think the humidity in the shower helps activate the curls. Good Luck:)

ShrinkingViolet
04-30-2007, 01:53 AM
OK, this isn't 40's, late 50's-early 60's is more like it, but I'm thinking of cutting some little "whiskers" (dunno what else to call them) over the ears, like Brigitte in this picture: http://a1692.g.akamai.net/f/1692/2042/7d/schlomoh.blog.lemonde.fr/files/bardot.jpg

And Shirley Jones here:
http://www.transparencynow.com/okla/_private/images%20from%20main%20index%20of%20okla/1360a.jpg

Jean Simmons wears her hair like that too in Spartacus, but I could't find a pic. I think it looks really cute with a ponytail but I'm not sure if it will be possible to tuck the "whiskers" away when I get fed up with them? I'm a bit unsure about it so I'd like to hear if anyone else finds this look cute? I really like the look of the young Brigitte Bardot, when her hair was light brown:
http://www.nikohk.com/Images/News/Image/BARDOT.jpg

I'd love to hear your opinion! :)

Sweet Polly Purebred
04-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Ooooh! I love that look, and it's one that is so seldom worn these days! With a little gel, you can still wear your up and away from your face, just comb it through ..

pic of Jean with it (grab a magnifying glass) ..

http://www.reelclassics.com/Actresses/Simmons/images9/brando_simmons_desiree_pubport.jpg

NoirDame
04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks, Daisy.....

Ok, one more question about Sassy Curlers...should I dampen my hair at all...the updos link had them put in dry hair? I think I read that jitterbugdoll was putting them in and then patting them with water or setting lotion.

Thanks!

Emmababy
04-30-2007, 07:58 PM
OK so tomorrow i'm going to put my dry (but clean) hair into strategically placed foam rollers and spray it until quite wet but not soaking with a healthy miture of setting lotion and water.

What say you, Beauty Room-ites?

jitterbugdoll
04-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks, Daisy.....

Ok, one more question about Sassy Curlers...should I dampen my hair at all...the updos link had them put in dry hair? I think I read that jitterbugdoll was putting them in and then patting them with water or setting lotion.

Thanks!

Yes, I use them with damp hair. So, in between washing my hair, I roll my dry hair and then pat it with water; with freshly washed hair, I wait until it nearly dry, comb a dab of setting lotion in, and then roll my hair.

ohairas
05-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Violet I think it would be cute, as long as they're cut long enough to tuck behind your ears or whatever when you don't want to see them.. like you said!
So make sure the stylist doesn't cut any further back than the middle of the top of your ear, and leaves it long enough to tuck.

Fringe and lots of layers around the face is really in this year, from the hair show I just went to. Think 80's rocker hair. Fluffy layers around the face and crown that are not alwalys conected to the rest of the length. So you'd be right in style, hehe!
Try this,
http://www.sexyhair.com/
go to for stylists only, haircuts, untamed. You'll see a blonde with fringy layers around the face but the rest is long. Not quite a mullet, but not blended that's for sure!

Nikki

Daisy Buchanan
05-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks, Daisy.....

Thanks!
I do something similar to JBD. If my hair is clean I'll usually dry it til it's just damp. Then I wet each strand with the setting lotion before putting in the curlers. If my hair doesn't need to be washed I'll just use setting lotion on dry hair. But, I think I might give JBD's method a try, it might relieve some of the crunchiness that I've been getting. Might be using too much setting lotion. Maybe a spray of setting lotion after the curlers are placed in barely damp hair will make it easier to brush out, or need less brushing since it won't be so stiff from too much product. Hmm, now I'm all faklempt!

NoirDame
06-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi Ladies,

I just started doing pin curls and I love the difference they make as far as staying in and how my hair feels. I have only done them twice and look forward to improving even though they aren't bad at all.

Now, at the end of day one, I slept in a satin sleepcap to try and maintain my do...the curls are still there today, but messy! I will wash and reset tonight, but I was wondering how to get a better 'morning after' with my hair. Would a plain hair net work better? How should I perk up the curls the next morning?

Thanks for your help!

texasgirl
06-26-2007, 08:57 AM
I just had to post this picture. It's Kiyo Yoshida, Lillian Watkatsuki and Yoshiko Yamasaki in their high school biology class at the Manzanar Relocation Center, 1943. Photograph by Ansel Adams. I just love this photo! I like seeing the everyday looks, as I know many of ya'll do too. And I thought we had big bangs in the 80s :p

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/texasgirl_333/00184u.jpg

Kitty_Sheridan
06-27-2007, 03:02 AM
They look like Gwen Stefanis backing singers!!!!
I am loving those white pants on the right!!!
The French were big fans of big hair (in the absence of new clothes under the occupation) but wow! Actually really like the style of the girl on the left. At 34 I think i'm too old for ribbons and bows.
:(

Clara Noir
07-31-2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.war44.com/images/British/homefront/1/foe1.jpg

Can anyone suggest how this look is got? Would the central pompom have been seperate or would it have been the ends of the rolled sides? I don't suit hats but this virtually counts as one! Also how would such tight curls be best made? Pin curls I should imagine, or a teeny barreled curling tongs?

Finally, is that a clip over the back seam? Does anyone have a picture of what that may have looked like, to get an idea of the style of clip I'm after?

I've suddenly fould out I need to become amazingly convincing at the 40s so I can hang around with the Home Guard and I've been a more 50s/60s girl to date...

(edited because I type like my cat)

~*Red*~
07-31-2008, 02:50 PM
The clip, I'm willing to bet is some kind of bow clip/barrette/pin. Which is easy enough. Make a bow and glue gun it to your clip/barrette/pin of choice.

The super curly fringe could very likely be a hair piece, or, she had a square bang cut short (not super short, but not longer than 3 inches) and done in very small pin curls (yes you could use a very tiny iron/tongs for this.. 1/4 inch works best.)

I would square section out the bang area first, set in tiny pincurls or use a tiny tong/iron. Then curl the rest as desired for the rolled sides and back. Roll sides with an ear to ear part.

OR, you could do a triangle part for the bang, and triangle sides. (from the point on the crown to the ear)

It depends really on your size of head and how much hair you have. ;)

Clara Noir
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks Red!
I have a moderately sized head (it's not the main reason hats dont work, but oh how I wish my head were smaller), and I have long hair of pretty normal thickness. I'd say the shortest of the front is about armpit length, and there is a bit where I had a fringe, but it doesn't go too far back, which is about nose length. Would you say this would work with the fringe pincurled and anything else from that section also pincurled but kind of looped and pinned to make it appear short?

Would a bow be suitable as a clip? Thats great! I really didn't know if grown ups wore bows or just girls, but then she seems quite young, and I'm probablly young enough to get away with it either way.

The thought of a hairpiece never occured to me, but if I can find one crazy curled like that I'll go for it even if it's not accurate.

LelaViavonie
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
WOW these are some great TIPS!!!

Some of the things I have never heard of but am now going to google.. LOL

SOME GREAT STUFF!

~*Red*~
07-31-2008, 04:43 PM
NP! ;)

The front is rather long for such a curly fringe/bang, but that's not to say you can't do some adjustments with it. You could do some nice smaller "barrel" rolls that are pinned in the fringe/bang area. I would use a medium curling iron, say 3/4" to 1". Mostly because it is so long. You could still try fluffing it and if that doesn't work, it's easy to just form the barrel rolls over your fingers and pin.

You could also set with pin curls. The section size; 1" square or 1/2" square for smaller curls, as well as a tighter curl. The curl itself should fit exactly over the square you sectioned. If you roll bigger it will come out looser, smaller=tighter.

I hope that makes sense.

I always say, Smack 'em if they knock the bow! ;)

Thanks Red!
I have a moderately sized head (it's not the main reason hats dont work, but oh how I wish my head were smaller), and I have long hair of pretty normal thickness. I'd say the shortest of the front is about armpit length, and there is a bit where I had a fringe, but it doesn't go too far back, which is about nose length. Would you say this would work with the fringe pincurled and anything else from that section also pincurled but kind of looped and pinned to make it appear short?

Would a bow be suitable as a clip? Thats great! I really didn't know if grown ups wore bows or just girls, but then she seems quite young, and I'm probablly young enough to get away with it either way.

The thought of a hairpiece never occured to me, but if I can find one crazy curled like that I'll go for it even if it's not accurate.

MissQueenie
07-31-2008, 05:23 PM
I have shoulder-length hair and no bangs/fringe, and I do a similar style pretty often these days. Here's the step-by-step on dry hair:

1. Divide hair into two sections by creating a part across the top of the head from one ear to the other. Tie or clip the front section out of your way and ignore it for now.

2. Brush out the back hair and begin curling small (1-2 inch) sections around small sized hot rollers. Roll ONLY up to the base of your neck or lower depending on how much curl you want and how long your hair is (this gives the back that straight look with the curly bottom). In some cases, you will not be rolling very much hair onto the rollers at all in the back. Depending on the kind of rollers you use, you can add extra firm hold gel or mousse to the section of hair before you wrap it. Spray lightly with hairspray and leave your rollers in until they are cool to the touch.

3. If you have enough small rollers to do the front section while your hair is in rollers in the back, go ahead, but I never have enough small rollers so I do the back first. Take the back hair out of the cool rollers and gently fluff your curls. Depending on your hair texture and how fluffy you want the do to look (and this look is supposed to be fluffy!), you can use a soft bristled brush to soften the curls. Use more spray if you need it. (This style also looks really adorable with a snoodtoo often people just shove straight hair into a snood and it looks limp and skimpy. The fluff really fills it out and makes it look cute!)
4. Ignore the back section. Unclip/untie the front and divide into three equal parts (center front, left side, right side). Start at the front and center of your hairline. Lift a section of hair about 1-2 in. wide, comb it smooth and while holding it straight up into the air, roll it onto a small roller towards your face (rather than rolling towards the back of the head). On my head, I can usually do two in a row on the center. Repeat on each side, holding these pieces up vertically as well to keep the sides smooth and straight. I usually have to stabilize these with long roller pins or hold them in place. Spray with hairspray and leave until cool.

5. Unroll the sections. From the bottom, comb each side section perfectly smooth (about halfway up, the ends should be very curly) and pin into place on top of your head. Repeat on the other side. Use a comb or fingers to fluff the curls, arrange them neatly and pin into place. Add a decorative clip or comb on the sides or at the back. Spray and go!

jtcarrey
07-31-2008, 06:01 PM
I will definately give this thread a look over when I get home tonight! :)

Inky
08-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Here's a few pages from Modern Beauty Shop, 1942:

http://jezebel.com/5329084/modern-beauty-shop-winning-the-war-one-curl-at-a-time/gallery/

MarieAnne
08-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Here's a few pages from Modern Beauty Shop, 1942:

http://jezebel.com/5329084/modern-beauty-shop-winning-the-war-one-curl-at-a-time/gallery/

I really enjoyed reading this and plan on improving morale with my appearance:eusa_clap

LuckyLady
08-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Can your hair be too long? Mine's about mid-back (think where the bra hooks rest), and I can't get it to do anything. No bangs/fringe. I've got rollers and various types of styling products, but all I can get are elongated Shirley Temple ringlets.

Antje
08-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Inky, thats a great article

Lucky Lady, do you have layered hair?
it makes styling a lot easier, most of the 40's styles have layers

LuckyLady
08-16-2009, 10:34 AM
The last time I got mine styled, I got layers, but that was months ago. They're pretty uneven now.

GlamourDoll
08-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Can your hair be too long? Mine's about mid-back (think where the bra hooks rest), and I can't get it to do anything. No bangs/fringe. I've got rollers and various types of styling products, but all I can get are elongated Shirley Temple ringlets.

If your planning on keeping your long hair but need help with styling. I would suggest checking out some of Sabina Kelley's work. She's a pinup model and has had her hair almost to her rear end and still had her hair 40's style.

LisaFreemontSt
08-19-2009, 10:51 AM
For Long hair:

If you don't want layers, your options are limited but there are elaborate rolled settings you can do that will still look authentic. This girl has hair to the middle of her back:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=492308862&albumID=165852&imageID=802310
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=492308862&albumID=165852&imageID=802335

Just prepare to use LOTS of bobby pins! :)

I am of the opinion that ANY length hair can achieve a good pin up or 1940's look. But just keep in mind that gals like me, that want the look ALL the time, will have to endure the scissors. I somehow think I'm not alone on that one. :)

LuckyLady
08-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the tips, ladies. :D

Story
09-12-2011, 01:31 PM
A few weeks ago, I was startled out of a Facebook-browsing trance when I noticed that a particularly chic friend had replaced her longstanding profile photo with one in which her blond hair appeared to be dyed a dusty, rosy pink. The friend in question is a former fashion director at CondeNast, a thirty-something who is always impeccably dressed, walking the perfect line between trend and sophistication. What in the world was she doing with pink hair? Could this possibly be a "thing"? The answer, Google quickly informed me, is yes.

London and Hollywood, 1940
In World War II-era London, the U.P. reported, blondes who found that their hair clashed with their khaki uniforms began clamoring for a pink tint. "Blondes are going to turn pink because they have found out that their soldier boy friends prefer brunettes or chestnuts-or pinks," wrote the U.P. in September, 1940. Across the pond in Hollywood, the A.P. reported that Max Factor Jr., makeup artist to the stars (and, apparently, conspiracy theorist), believed that a new, naturally pink-haired breed of humans might one day threaten the viability of blonds and brunettes. Intermarriage between blonds and brunettes, Factor maintained, would eventually lead to a crop of "brownets", or pink-haired people. But don't worry, the U.P. wrote. "Factor believes we won't be in the pink for 300 years, at the soonest."

http://img2.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2011/05/12/pink-hair-is-all-the-rage-just-like-it-was-in-1914.aspx?wpisrc=obnetwork

C-dot
09-12-2011, 02:05 PM
That's hilarious! I thought the pink tint was a just 60's thing. It looks cute! :)

Miss sofia
09-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Me too, my Nana used to do the pink/lilac tint thing in the early seventies or a rinse that was the colour of very weak tea!

fortworthgal
09-13-2011, 01:00 PM
I remember about a year or so ago, there was a very popular trend in my area of women wearing a hot pink stripe in their hair. Not teenage or college-age women, either - business/office type 30-40s age women. It was the weirdest thing ever and I can only guess it had something maybe to do with breast cancer awareness. :confused:

Smumo
09-13-2011, 06:59 PM
My hair continues to be bright freaking turquoise. I think I was a vintage mermaid in a past life. That's my only explanation.

Katinka von K.
09-14-2011, 03:13 AM
Smumo, I want pictures of that :) I kinda miss my dark green bangs. Once in a while I think I should just dye it again and dont care if it matches my clothes or not. But then again...

Stray Cat
09-14-2011, 03:56 AM
"tinted ‘a tender, tender rose' is the great new thing in women's styles."

a tender, tender rose... mwahahahaaa! :rofl:

"Pink hair, is perfect for evening, ‘because women, at evening, should always look flower-like.'" there you have it: let's all go PINK, ladies. ;)

C-dot
09-14-2011, 06:56 AM
I remember about a year or so ago, there was a very popular trend in my area of women wearing a hot pink stripe in their hair. Not teenage or college-age women, either - business/office type 30-40s age women. It was the weirdest thing ever and I can only guess it had something maybe to do with breast cancer awareness. :confused:

It was popular all around - The Globe & Mail had a section in the style pages dedicated to the trend. They showed pictures of Rachel McAdams, Avril Lavigne, even Julia Roberts with the trend. I'm not too sure where it came from, but it was short lived - It's much too "punk" to stay in the mainstream for long.

W-D Forties
09-16-2011, 02:21 AM
I used to have (amongst other things) pink hair. It was actually more a pink/magenta. As I'm naturally pink toned in skin colout, it actually looked very nice and it was always easy to choose what to wear with it, both make-up and clothes wise as it was such a strong colour that it limited the palatte.

My mum also did the lilac/purple rinse thing, which is why it was so hypercritical of her to moan about my hair over the years!