PDA

View Full Version : Best vintage suit sellers ever?

Marc Chevalier
07-14-2009, 02:07 PM

Here's my list (in no particular order). Alas, some of these gents aren't in the vintage menswear business anymore:

-- Jon Lundberg (Lundberg Haberdashery, Kensington, CA) -- Destroyed by fire in 2000. A legendary and expensive selection of vintage men's suits, especially belted backs. http://www.libertyship.com/lundberg/lundberg_cctimes.htm

-- Art and Janene Fawcett (Vintage Silhouettes, Crockett, CA) -- What a wonderful shop theirs was! http://www.sfchroniclemarketplace.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/1998/01/30/CC7267.DTL&hw=victorians&sn=072&sc=365

-- Benjamin McGinty (McGinty's Vintage Underground, Altadena, CA) -- My vintage suit guru. Retired from the business (for now). http://books.google.com/books?id=R1Bw8EOleEIC&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=%22ben+mcginty%22++%22vintage+underground%22&source=bl&ots=uJqoDSS-qJ&sig=IfwNtTSP4qwuZo5qJLQs0bQw1ys&hl=en&ei=lvBcSu6oE4-wsgOHvvWsCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

-- Ardis Taylor (Vintage Apparel by Ardis, Oakland, CA) -- Incredible suits, year after year! http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/31/LVDA17P46B.DTL

-- Roberto Isola (Daly City, CA) -- A longtime fixture of the Bay Area's vintage scene, Roberto describes his mission in a tongue-in-cheek way: "enforcing men's fashion." More than a few NoCal Fedora Loungers swear by his excellent suits and advice.

jamespowers
07-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I'll have to check out Ardis but 30s ties aren't that hard to find---neither are suits in size 38-40. :rolleyes:
I can agree with Vintage Silhouettes and Roberto though. Fortunately we still have Roberto around up here.
The other two I will have to trust you. ;)

Marc Chevalier
07-14-2009, 02:18 PM
I'll have to check out Ardis but 30s ties aren't that hard to find---neither are suits in size 38-40. :rolleyes:

Ardis (who is 6'9") is a longtime master at finding large and long size vintage suits. He really has superb stuff. Give him a call:

Vintage Apparel By Ardis
2440 11th Ave.
Oakland, CA 94606

Phone: (510) 532-4844

Marc Chevalier
07-14-2009, 02:19 PM
The other two I will have to trust you. ;)

Ask Roberto and Art about Jon Lundberg. They'll have loads to say.

jamespowers
07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Ardis (who is 6'9") is a master at finding large and long size vintage suits. He really has superb stuff. Give him a call:

Vintage Apparel By Ardi
2440 11th Ave.
Oakland, CA 94606

Phone: (510) 532-4844

6'9"?!:eek: Holy Crimony!:eek: I'll have to check it out. Does he have a storefront?

jamespowers
07-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Ask Roberto and Art about Jon Lundberg. They'll have loads to say.

But it doesn't matter now if I can't get anything from him. [huh] ;) :p

Marc Chevalier
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
6'9"?!:eek: Holy Crimony!:eek: I'll have to check it out. Does he have a storefront?

Nope, he's done it all by appointment or via vintage fashion expos for about 20 years. Ardis is also the best restorer I know of vintage shoes. He makes them look like new from the soles up.

Marc Chevalier
07-14-2009, 02:26 PM
But it doesn't matter now if I can't get anything from him. [huh] ;) :p

True, but the stories are great. Jon was quite a character: you never knew when his store would be open, or for how long. The guy had an endless stream of vintage belted back suits flowing into and out of the shop ...

jamespowers
07-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Nope, he's done it all by appointment or via vintage fashion expos for about 20 years. Ardis is also the best restorer I know of vintage shoes. He makes them look like new from the soles up.

Shoes eh? I'll have to check on that then. I could use a decent shoe repair guy. :D

dakotanorth
07-14-2009, 05:29 PM
I can attest to Ardis's collections- I bought a very rare suit from him at the Santa Monica Vintage Fashion Expo.
Late 40's, double-breasted, LONG, in a teal blue with faint red pinstripes. Very, very rare.
I paid BIG bucks for it, but I know I will never see another one like it!

YETI
07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
It's because of him that the Oviatt name remains a holy grail in my quest to find the best in quality vintage attire.

cookie
07-15-2009, 12:53 AM
"Lundberg, who smoked two to three packs a day before the fire, is in fair condition in the intensive care unit with "very, very bad smoke inhalation," said hospital spokeswoman Carolyn Kemp".

Marc Chevalier
07-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Aren't there any great vintage suit sellers in other parts of the U.S.? Or are they only in California?

YETI
07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
What many of his customers didn't know was that he was a well established vintage guitar dealer and collector decades before he became a "haberdasher" in vintage clothing. Among his clientele were 60s hippie musician types like the Grateful Dead. He was quite a character with a wealth of information and not just with vintage clothing. I remember selling him a near mint 40s olive green Stetson Whippet and his eyes just lit up. As I left his shop, he put up the closed sign and went to the bistro next door for lunch wearing the newly acquired fedora. He had 2 Stetson Whippet hat boxes he refused to sell. Otherwise, I would have kept the hat.

Lauren
07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Ditto about Art and Janene. The vintage expo hasn't been the same since they stopped selling there. Some of my very favorite things were from them. I'm sad I never made it to their store.

Marc Chevalier
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Back in 2004, Andykev posted some great photos of Art and Janene's store. (The pics are no longer online, alas.)

Orgetorix
07-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Never been there, but I've heard great things about Bobby from Boston, particularly from Hemingway Jones.

http://www.bobbyfromboston.com/

Marc Chevalier
08-25-2009, 12:32 PM

More information about the legendary Ardis Taylor in this link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_12713970?nclick_check=1

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/crosby_square/20090630__ecct0701ardistaylor1_Gall.jpg http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/crosby_square/20090701__ecct0701ardistaylor21_Gal.jpg

Mr. Rover
08-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Bobby's From Boston has a wide range of clothes, from denims to suits, as well as a huge shoe and hat collection. When I was there, there was there in May, there was a whole rack of Palm Beach suits.

Guttersnipe
08-27-2009, 09:50 AM

-- Ardis Taylor (Vintage Apparel by Ardis, Oakland, CA) -- Incredible suits, year after year! http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/31/LVDA17P46B.DTL

-- Roberto Isola (Daly City, CA) -- A longtime fixture of the Bay Area's vintage scene, Roberto describes his mission in a tongue-in-cheek way: "enforcing men's fashion." More than a few NoCal Fedora Loungers swear by his excellent suits and advice.

I've dealt with both Ardis and Roberto and am continually impressed by the frequency with which they both have really awesome stuff. What impresses me about Ardis (other than his gigantic height lol ) is that he always seems to have enough stock to tailor what he takes to any show. If he's at Viva Las Vegas, he has a rack of just about the best gabardine casual wear you'll ever see. And if he's at the SF Art Deco show, he's got racks of wonderful suits instead!

jonbuilder
08-29-2009, 08:41 PM

Here's my list (in no particular order). Alas, some of these gents aren't in the vintage menswear business anymore:

Hi Marc
Do you have contact info phone of address for Robert? thanks

Marc Chevalier
08-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi Marc
Do you have contact info phone of address for Robert? thanks

I don't, but chanteuseCarey does. The best thing would be to PM her.

resortes805
08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
I've always seen amazing suits at this store: http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/117/l_bb7f259d84744bc6247360b7f71f4102.jpg

I can always count on having a good chat with Orrin, one of the staff members at La Rosa.

reetpleat
08-31-2009, 06:43 PM
I am fortunate to have lived with Roberto and call him a friend. What makes Roberto unique is that while all the best share a love of vintage, Roberto is pretty much a hobbyist, doing it for the love of vintage.

Granted, I am sure he generates some extra income, but he works for United airlines, I think now as a trainer. And his selling was an outgrowth of collecting, and the joy of having fine things pass through his hands.

i don't know about now, but he used to have an edge over other dealers in that he could fly for free to cities around the country, taking a nice vacation, and raiding the vintage shops along the way.

the internet may well have resulted in less treasures languishing in obscure vintage shops.

To spend some time in his storage space, being shown choice piece after choice piece, and sharing in the love an appreciation of the stuff is a rare pleasure.

YETI
08-31-2009, 10:29 PM
I bought my first 40s gabardine shirt at Vintage Silhouettes when Art and Janine had the Crockett store. It was a deadstock Jayson label in a deep seafoam green w/ topstitch accents. That was the start of my quest. When they moved shop to an old 40s 50s bank, it was then I realized the great stock they had. Art kept all his primo 30s belted back suits in the huge vault. And those suits where his own personal stash!

jamespowers
09-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I bought my first 40s gabardine shirt at Vintage Silhouettes when Art and Janine had the Crockett store. It was a deadstock Jayson label in a deep seafoam green w/ topstitch accents. That was the start of my quest. When they moved shop to an old 40s 50s bank, it was then I realized the great stock they had. Art kept all his primo 30s belted back suits in the huge vault. And those suits where his own personal stash!

Ah yes, I remember those day. If only it didn't come to an end. :( [huh]

jamespowers
09-11-2009, 03:04 PM
I am fortunate to have lived with Roberto and call him a friend. What makes Roberto unique is that while all the best share a love of vintage, Roberto is pretty much a hobbyist, doing it for the love of vintage.

Granted, I am sure he generates some extra income, but he works for United airlines, I think now as a trainer. And his selling was an outgrowth of collecting, and the joy of having fine things pass through his hands.

i don't know about now, but he used to have an edge over other dealers in that he could fly for free to cities around the country, taking a nice vacation, and raiding the vintage shops along the way.

the internet may well have resulted in less treasures languishing in obscure vintage shops.

To spend some time in his storage space, being shown choice piece after choice piece, and sharing in the love an appreciation of the stuff is a rare pleasure.

He is indeed very knowledgeable about vintage. At every Vintage Expo he has something different and choice on. I just wish he had more stuff in my size. :eusa_doh:

reetpleat
09-11-2009, 04:32 PM
He is indeed very knowledgeable about vintage. At every Vintage Expo he has something different and choice on. I just wish he had more stuff in my size. :eusa_doh:

Let him know what you are looking for and I am sure he would be glad to keep an eye out and contact you if he can get something for you.

jamespowers
09-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Let him know what you are looking for and I am sure he would be glad to keep an eye out and contact you if he can get something for you.

Oh, I am sure he has something somewhere but I just haven't made the time to go up there and check for sure. Its just that he never brings much larger stuff to the places I see him at. [huh]
There was a really great double breasted medium blue blazer that he had a while back that was great---it just didn't fit---darn it. :eusa_doh: :p

Ethan Bentley
09-30-2009, 01:33 PM
In London, Old Hat near Parson's Green is rather good.

scotrace
09-30-2009, 01:38 PM
In the US, the best is Crosby Square (http://myworld.ebay.com/crosby_square/), hands down.

NY_Confidential
10-03-2009, 07:07 PM
In the US, the best is Crosby Square (http://myworld.ebay.com/crosby_square/), hands down.

If that's the best, I really feel at a loss. hehe.. nothing for sale?

Marc Chevalier
10-04-2009, 12:53 PM
If that's the best, I really feel at a loss. hehe.. nothing for sale?

Check eBay next week. You're gonna see things that will knock your socks off!

mike
10-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Check eBay next week. You're gonna see things that will knock your socks off!

Hello Marc, goodbye savings! lol