Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I've seen comments from several members lately that someone needs a certain number of posts in order to post pictures on TFL. I don't recall seeing this in the FAQ. Is there a post minimum for pics?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Hmmm. I didn't think there was a minimum. What about off-site hosting, like imageshack, or photobucket? Or do you use those?

cptjeff

Practically Family
If you use off site hosting and

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
gtdean48 said:
I've dunked entire hats, in a sealed plastic feed bucket, shook vigorously from time to time, let them soak for entires, sweatbands & ribbons but no liners. No ill effects.
I recently soaked a 1940s hat with the oilcloth protector at the crown The colors and clarity of the lining crest muted with the soaking.

buler

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
I've got the case but not the guts of a Stetson 100 Hat case.

hundred_7.jpg

Anybody have a suggestion to locate these or have them possibly fabricated? :eusa_clap

Deputy, I can send you all the pics and measurements you want. Just let me know. They are actually 2 almost identical pieces of plastic. One just has an indent for the other to rest in.

B

buler said:
Deputy, I can send you all the pics and measurements you want. Just let me know. They are actually 2 almost identical pieces of plastic. One just has an indent for the other to rest in.

B
Buler, would love all you can send. The real question is what sort of place would fab such an item? Would the set up for a 1 off make it too expensive to even consider?

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
How much can a hat size be increased or decreased from original intent. Say could a size 7 be increased to a 7-1/4?

I usually wear a 7-1/4, but my grandpa's old 7-1/8 fits perfectly, just wondering what the tolerance is.

Thanks!

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
Buler, would love all you can send. The real question is what sort of place would fab such an item? Would the set up for a 1 off make it too expensive to even consider?

Hmmm... I wonder if this could be made with wire in a way that wouldn't damage a hat stored in it. Perhaps some sort of plastic that can be bent with heat into whatever shape you need? [huh]

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There are quite a few threads on stretching, and the general consensus is that one size is safe.

Here's one thread. If you hit search up there in the blue bar, type in "stretching", select "search thread titles only" from the drop down, and HATS as the forum, you'll get many, many more.

buler

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
I was thinking of aluminum bands possibly...

This is what we need. PlasticBending

Ok, I have the soldering station and the helping hands clamps. Just need to find the plastic strips. The plastic in the Stetson 100 box measures 15/16" wide and its 1/8" thick. If I can find something similiar locally I'll try my hand at "shaping" it.

B

High Pockets

Practically Family
bbshriver said:
How much can a hat size be increased or decreased from original intent. Say could a size 7 be increased to a 7-1/4?

I usually wear a 7-1/4, but my grandpa's old 7-1/8 fits perfectly, just wondering what the tolerance is.

Thanks!

Having never stretched a hat myself, I trust what other members have posted.
The only experience I have to offer is a conversation with Optimo,....a hat stretched at home has only been "stretched", and will probably return to it's original "size".

When a hat has been "re-sized" by a hatter, it has been "re-sized" and will not return to whatever it was sized previously. The ribbon and sweatband will usually have to be replaced when this is done.

Re-sizing one size, up or down, (1/8") is no problem.
Re-sizing two sizes, up or down, (1/4") can usually be done, but there may be an almost un-detectable difference in either brim diameter or crown hight.
Trying to re-size three sizes, up or down, (3/8") is not recommended.

buler

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:

Great news! The first place I turned up thru Google was 10 minutes from my house. I was just there and they are cutting a large piece of scrap acrylic into the correct width and length strips. I should have a bunch of them. Of course, they need to be bent. I'm going to try my hand at bending them. If I have no luck I can send you some strips and you can have a go at it. I could make up some kind of template from the originals. The strips will be ready tomorrow so I'll try the bending this weekend.

B

Most Excellent!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
buler said:
Great news! The first place I turned up thru Google was 10 minutes from my house. I was just there and they are cutting a large piece of scrap acrylic into the correct width and length strips. I should have a bunch of them. Of course, they need to be bent. I'm going to try my hand at bending them. If I have no luck I can send you some strips and you can have a go at it. I could make up some kind of template from the originals. The strips will be ready tomorrow so I'll try the bending this weekend.

B

Larry D

New in Town
What hat does Brad Pitt wear in the Assassination of Jesse James?

I have looked at many hats and can't figure out who makes it? Could it be a Hollywood custom made movie replicia?
o5w17m.jpg

2qnr5ty.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112