Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buler

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Great news! The first place I turned up thru Google was 10 minutes from my house. I was just there and they are cutting a large piece of scrap acrylic into the correct width and length strips. I should have a bunch of them. Of course, they need to be bent. I'm going to try my hand at bending them. If I have no luck I can send you some strips and you can have a go at it. I could make up some kind of template from the originals. The strips will be ready tomorrow so I'll try the bending this weekend.

B

Ok. They managed to cut 26 strips from the sheet. So at 10 bends a piece, I have 260 bends to do.... this should be interesting. Or 24 strips to learn on...[huh]

B

plastic.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Ok. They managed to cut 26 strips from the sheet. So at 10 bends a piece, I have 260 bends to do.... this should be interesting. Or 24 strips to learn on...[huh]
B

You're nuts, and I admire it. :D

CRH

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
Who are among the best of the auction sniper services?

There appears to be a tie between the Taliban and the CIA for the no. 1 spot...

.... oh, auction sniper services. I didn't read that correctl........

POW!

Felt and Straw

Familiar Face
Hat Stretcher

I recently picked up a stretcher (not a size retainer like a hat jack) that no longer has the inches/hat size chart.

Does anyone have a link to a good photo of one that I can use. Or, is anyone with a stretcher willing to take a picture looking down on the chart and either upload it here or message it to me? The ones currently on ebay aren't at a good angle.

I figure if I get a decent photo I can adjust it so it is to scale, print it and go from there...

Thanks and Cheers!

Felt and Straw said:
I recently picked up a stretcher (not a size retainer like a hat jack) that no longer has the inches/hat size chart.

Does anyone have a link to a good photo of one that I can use. Or, is anyone with a stretcher willing to take a picture looking down on the chart and either upload it here or message it to me? The ones currently on ebay aren't at a good angle.

I figure if I get a decent photo I can adjust it so it is to scale, print it and go from there...

Thanks and Cheers!

How 'bout a picture of your stretcher? There are a few types, so it would be best to know what type you have.

I'd think you could use a tailor's tape to measure the circumference of your stretcher at various settings and calibrate your gauge based on that data.

buler

I'll Lock Up
buler said:

B

plastic.jpg

Broke the first 2 strips getting a feel for it. Here is the 3rd one in progress. Just need to curl the ends down.

B

holder_1.jpg

Felt and Straw

Familiar Face
Wow!

:eusa_clap
I have a pair, but I'd put in an order for a pair from you as a back-up when you decide to go into business.
Really good looking job!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Total production so far. 2 pairs. The bottom pair are nicely matched and the hat rests evenly on them. They are not exact reproductions.... but close. Not sure how many of these I'll do, but if you are interested in a set let me know.

B

inserts_1.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I am a Weapon of Hat Destruction!

Last week I donned my newly acquired 'Super Borsalino' vintage felt lid with the lovely soft felt and supple sweatband and went for a walk around one of Brisbane's cafe districts. The weather turned very warm and humid and I worked up a sweat as I walked.
How much sweat? Not a heap but enough to soak through the sweatband to the front of hat.
Next day the hat had dried. I cleaned the small sweat mark off the felt no problem. But the front of the sweatband had seriously dried out. In fact, it had dried so much that it had shriveled, hardened and, when I tried to move it, cracked!
I've tried leather conditioner, but nope, it's set hard and it's staying that way.

I've sweated on lots of sweatbands in my time but have never had one react like this. Any idea what's caused it - and can it be fixed?

And no - decapitation is not an option!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
I've sweated on lots of sweatbands in my time but have never had one react like this. Any idea what's caused it - and can it be fixed?

I've had it happen to me as well. I don't think anything you would have done would have made any difference. JMHO TLH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk