Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
If a chicken and half laid an egg and a half every hour and a half. How long would it take a monkey to eat all the seeds out of a pickle?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Dear Mr. Leftwell,

This thread has come along in the nick of time. My wife and I are having a bit of a tiff, and I'm wondering whether you might be able to help us sort things out. She is hosting a tea for the Women's Auxiliary tomorrow, and believes that the cucumber sandwiches should be round. I, on the other hand, believe that they should be square. Obviously, in either case, we both believe that the crusts should be removed. In any event, round or square? Can you please help us sort this out?

Yours faithfully,
James the Lid

Yes, and if you would, please....I'm just dying to know...which way should the toilet paper go? So that it unrolls from the top...or from the bottom?

But seriously, now...when did Stetson stop using wide (2") sweatbands and begin using narrow (1.5") sweatbands?

AF

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Dear Mr. the Lid,

Though I wholeheartedly agree with your stance on cucumber sandwich shape, I must ask: what part of Women's Auxiliary don't you understand? Go play with your hats and leave the women alone.

Mr. Left-well-enough-alone
:D

lol

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
If a chicken and half laid an egg and a half every hour and a half. How long would it take a monkey to eat all the seeds out of a pickle?

Trick question. Monkeys hate pickles.

Atticus Finch said:
Yes, and if you would, please....I'm just dying to know...which way should the toilet paper go? So that it unrolls from the top...or from the bottom?

But seriously, now...when did Stetson stop using wide (2") sweatbands and begin using narrow (1.5") sweatbands?

AF

top in the northern hemisphere, bottom in the southern

The sweat question is an interesting one. From what I've seen, 2" was never a standard sweat width for Stetson, but was found only on some of the higher-end hats. Thoughts?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Dear Mr. the Lid,

Though I wholeheartedly agree with your stance on cucumber sandwich shape, I must ask: what part of Women's Auxiliary don't you understand? Go play with your hats and leave the women alone.

Mr. Left-well-enough-alone
:D

lol lol lol

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
helpdesk.png

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
We can answer all questions, though correct answers are rare.

It's normal for panamas to flop in the wind. Be sure that it's the panama, and not your head that's doing the flopping. If the latter, consult your health professional, as help desk is not authorized to dispense medical advice. :D

As to Mrs. Murphy, someone should arrest whomever spiked her drink and caused her addiction.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
willone242 said:
Hi – I have a black suit with a classic cut that I intend to have to a 30s gathering, I also have a brown hat (Indiana Jones style) Swedish maker, that is very 30s too. My question is if there are any rules regarding hat colour and suit colour, or if it is mixable after wearers taste?

Will

A brown hat and blue suit are great together.

A guide from 1931 - posted in the Suits forum as a sticky - prefers tan, but brown should do nicely.
thunderw21 said:

Incidentally, if you'd like to go for a bit more panache, why not try this look from 1929?
elina1929.jpg

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
On brims:

I have stretched a hat slightly and one side of the brim has developed a small wavy spot. Can that be ironed out with steam and a smooth object?

Dreispitz

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
Dear Mr. Leftwell,

This thread has come along in the nick of time. My wife and I are having a bit of a tiff, and I'm wondering whether you might be able to help us sort things out. She is hosting a tea for the Women's Auxiliary tomorrow, and believes that the cucumber sandwiches should be round. I, on the other hand, believe that they should be square. Obviously, in either case, we both believe that the crusts should be removed. In any event, round or square? Can you please help us sort this out?

Yours faithfully,
James the Lid

Excuse me interfering ...

1. Cucumber sandwiches are triangular.

2. Crusts are removed.

3. To be served alongside Pim´s

Well, that´s my experience with British garden parties. ;) :beer:

Reactions: niv

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
KeyGrip said:
On brims:

I have stretched a hat slightly and one side of the brim has developed a small wavy spot. Can that be ironed out with steam and a smooth object?

If this is a panama, consult HPG, whose tutorial on reshaping a panama brim helped me to finally like mine. In fact, it seems to me that the same method should work both fine and dandy on felt.

Viper Man

Banned
Jonathan Richard Caps?

Can anyone give me the scoop on JR caps of Donegal? I just scored one at auction that was listed as being vintage but doesn't look it. It does appear to be of good quality, though.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll give you a chance

I have had a long standing arguement with myself on whether or not manufacturers of hats perferated sweat bands at the factory or was this a store offered service only? I have my opinion lets read yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider