Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Eulan Bayer Tag

Can this tag be used to date my Borsalino?
After Gene posted his Colombo for sale and Brad has pictures of one I decided to research a bit more about mine. I removed the oil-skin as it was disintegrating.
eulan bayer tag
DSC04287.jpg

DSC04294.jpg
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Would love info on this one

I too have been trying to get more info on a borso:
100_0231.jpg

100_0292.jpg

and these aren't as easy to read even after a little basic editing:
100_0294.jpg

100_0295.jpg

I can't find anything on it but am curious. It's my favourite fedora, I even like the little (almost invisible) moth nibbles for the character they add:rolleyes:

Saho

New in Town
Can someone suggest some "value" American vintage brands for newbies? By value, I mean decent quality, easy to find and not too hard on the wallet. I'm more interested in "tool" hats, something I can beat up in outdoorsy pursuits (hunting, hiking, canoeing, etc.). Thank you all in advance.

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
if i wear a size 7 now what size would i be in vintage clothing?

i wear a dress size 7 in modern sizes, my measurments are 36-27-36, so when buying vintage what size do i look for?;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
With only a few ladies posting in the hats forum, you might want to ask the question in the Powder Room. I hear they have couches in there. :D

billyspew

One Too Many
Saho said:
Can someone suggest some "value" American vintage brands for newbies? By value, I mean decent quality, easy to find and not too hard on the wallet. I'm more interested in "tool" hats, something I can beat up in outdoorsy pursuits (hunting, hiking, canoeing, etc.). Thank you all in advance.

The Adam Hats ones seem to go for less than Stetsons or Knoxs.
However it's generally size that really dictates price. The smaller the less expensive (as a general rule).

Saho said:
I've found Resistols to be a good value in the vintage lids. Getting an older Western style & trimming down the brim with a fedora crease has given me some good utility hats for hunting/fishing/camping/chores... HTH

frontmanvintage

New in Town
Union Labels in Hats ...

I am currently writing a book on dating vintage menswear and in the section on hats I have most of the Cap and Hatters Unions listed and their years, but only 2 examples. (Unfortunately, I'm not a hat person.)

If anyone would like to put up some pictures of hatters union labels from their beloved hat collections (or pm some to me) and give me permission to copy and use them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
frontmanvintage said:
I am currently writing a book on dating vintage menswear and in the section on hats I have most of the Cap and Hatters Unions listed and their years, but only 2 examples. (Unfortunately, I'm not a hat person.)

If anyone would like to put up some pictures of hatters union labels from their beloved hat collections (or pm some to me) and give me permission to copy and use them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Something to keep in mind is that the labels are only half the story. They can give you, say, a cutoff date of 1934, but narrowing down beyond that depends on the different factories. The various manufacturers weren't always union shops, and the times they were union shops varied over the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. You'll have to look at each manufacturer separately to determine dates more precisely. For instance, the Crofut & Knapp factory kicked out the United Hatters in 1909, and didn't let their successors back in until 1946. Every factory was different.

Brad

frontmanvintage

New in Town
Hatters Union labels

Yes, I know it is not the whole story, but it can be a starting place for dating.

Just like ACWA labels in mens suits can easily provide a dating range to start from and end with, I think the hatters union labels can also provide info.

btw - I cracked the dating code on the '49 ACWA labels, so their range of use from Dec '49 to into the 80's (yes, I know ACWA merged with other unions and became ACTWU in '76) has been shortened and simplified immensely. Really easy to use them for dating now.

Hat styles for the basic fedora have remained relatively the same for 100 years, with only small changes in brim width, crown height, sweatband, etc. I hope to make it obvious for my readers to use all the tools available when dating.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
frontmanvintage said:
Hat styles for the basic fedora have remained relatively the same for 100 years, with only small changes in brim width, crown height, sweatband, etc. I hope to make it obvious for my readers to use all the tools available when dating.

Isn't that like saying that suit styles have remained relatively the same with only small changes in drape, shoulder style, lapel width, button stance, material, leg opening, etc.? The degree of the differences that lie within "relatively" depend upon the reader.

derby

New in Town
MERCURY FEDORA

Does anybody have any information on a Vintage Mercury Fedora? I bought one last night off of ebay. I have been looking everywhere and can't find anything on it. I would Appreciate any HELP!

simmonsgc

Familiar Face
Stetson Long Oval Dates?

Any of you folks happen to know the approximate date when Stetson ceased making "Long Oval" sizes? That is, assuming that they did cease this practice. I'm in a small town, no hat stores or outlets, so I don't often rest my eyes upon new stock.

Many thanks!
GC

barrowjh

One Too Many
Scott Wood

Here is a pic of the liner from a fine Borsalino that I picked up, had refurbished by Optimo:
Ninfea2.jpg

the production tag is also similar:
1003A 44458
NINFEA ECOSCA
The seller described it as being from 1930, but I think that during this time period the numbers on the production tag might be a real clue - as in 1944 (1st two digits of the number on the right) and in your case 1940.

'nuther pic, after Optimo refurb:
090107006-1.jpg

If the clear plastic tips were common by the mid-1950's, then it makes sense that the 1940's might have witnessed these early oil-skin precursors.

barrowjh

One Too Many
SAHO

Billyspew is correct, size of the hat is a key to the supply/demand curve and price point. As a general rule, within a size, Stetson and Borsalino names tend to draw more recognition and a higher price. Brim widths at 2 1/2 (and greater) tend to draw more money. After that, color, style, quality, condition (in no particular order there).

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh said:
Here is a pic of the liner from a fine Borsalino that I picked
the production tag is also similar:
1003A 44458
NINFEA ECOSCA
The seller described it as being from 1930, but I think that during this time period the numbers on the production tag might be a real clue - as in 1944 (1st two digits of the number on the right) and in your case 1940.

If the clear plastic tips were common by the mid-1950's, then it makes sense that the 1940's might have witnessed these early oil-skin precursors.

This dating system is wack! I just got a Borsalino with a 27 number, it is not from 1927. It absolutely does not work on old Borsalinos.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
This dating system is wack! I just got a Borsalino with a 27 number, it is not from 1927. It absolutely does not work on old Borsalinos.
You are absolutely correct! Not until the mid-1970's with those round-cornered white stickers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch