Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
derby said:
Does anybody have any information on a Vintage Mercury Fedora? I bought one last night off of ebay. I have been looking everywhere and can't find anything on it. I would Appreciate any HELP!

Careful, you just drove your per-year post count up to 2.5

Do you have sweatband and liner pics?

...how many days can lamb kidneys sit in the fridge before they go bad? I don't feel so hot.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
barrowjh said:
If the clear plastic tips were common by the mid-1950's, then it makes sense that the 1940's might have witnessed these early oil-skin precursors.
I purchased my black roll up Borsalino from the original owner.
He said he bought it in 1955. It has an oilskin liner. Just a data point.
One more thing to consider- probably wasn't a lot of trade or tourism
between Italy and the USA in the first half of the 40s and some rebuilding
afterward. That also increases the odds that the the hats we find are
from the 50s or 30s, not 40s.

BTW, I posted pictures of that black roll up somewhere on this site if
you haven't seen them.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
barrowjh said:
Here is a pic of the liner from a fine Borsalino that I picked up, had refurbished by Optimo:
Ninfea2.jpg

the production tag is also similar:
1003A 44458
NINFEA ECOSCA
The seller described it as being from 1930, but I think that during this time period the numbers on the production tag might be a real clue - as in 1944 (1st two digits of the number on the right) and in your case 1940.
Thank you Sir,
That pretty much fits with what I had seen elsewhere. Mine is in really lovely shape overall but has the raw brim and needs a little bit of sponge work on that luxurious silverbelly.
I have, on the other hand, 3 hats out to the Optimo "spa" that needed various sweatband and stitching issues dealt with so are off to rehab.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I was away from the Lounge for the latter half of 2009 and have been wondering: Where's Carter? I hope all is well and there's no problems, but wondered if anyone knows.

Saho

New in Town
Oh, thank you for the answers. Given the relative affordability of these hats, since I run a smaller size, I think I'll just get one of those fancy Cavanaughs with feathers. :cheers1:

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
Lock and Co

Any body have vintage hats from Lock and Co. Don't see them very often on the bay so I picked one up.
Any help with dating this one, also how are they quality wise, i guess i will see when I get it, but still a little heads up would be nice.:)

il_430xN120654051.jpg

il_430xN120654293.jpg

il_75x75120654396.jpg

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
"Ask a Question and..."

What,and how,should I do to a pair of thrift store vtg fedoras that are nice but were cheap? They need to be cleaned and brushed so with proper brushes,sponges and cleaner I can tackle that I think. One has a flabby crown and other than re-blocking(?) or maybe steaming and drying so not sure if I`d screw that up. [huh]

I would also like to replace one hat`s sagging and dreary(brown on brown)ribbon with a more casual(thinner?),subdued color one or maybe braided rope with a knot(ala die Alpenhuetter). I am hoping to learn some basics on these bargain fedoras and about how hats are made,shaped and maintained.

Champ%20and%20Resistol%20Fedoras%20%20Thrift%20Store%20Finds

Thanks!
HMH

Corky

Practically Family
Lock & Company

jeffconnors:

Lock & Company

Founded in 1676 Lock & Co. is a family owned business providing ladies' and men's quality hats and caps with a high standard of personal service.

This one looks like yours:
sml_rambler.jpg

Best of luck

Chinaski

One Too Many
HosMan: I'm pretty sure Corky was replying to Jeff Connors question in a post that was previous to yours.

Check back, as someone may write in to offer you some advice.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
HosManHatter said:
(1) They need to be cleaned and brushed so with proper brushes,sponges

(2) One has a flabby crown and other than re-blocking(?) or maybe steaming and drying so not sure if I`d screw that up. [huh]

(3) I would also like to replace one hat`s sagging and dreary(brown on brown)ribbon

Start simple and cheap.
(1) If you don't have any, buy 2 hat brushes, one light and one dark, and a couple of the orange sponges for spot removal. To use them, read the Felt Hat Basics thread.

(2) Flabby crown or brim? If you just want to shape the crown, hit the outside with some steam - don't be afraid to get it pretty wet. With one hand in the hat and one hand on the crown, try to shape the crown. This might be difficult if the hat has a lot of stiffener in it. Don't worry about hurting the hat. You'll learn that these things are pretty tough.

(3) Good luck with that. I can't sew well and badly sewn ribbons look terrible. But these are cheap hats and you're looking to learn, so have at it.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Thanks ye kindly for the helpful hints,Mr. Lefty. Sewing? dang I thought a ribbon was just tension-held or glued.Contract that job out then.

I`ve heard you have to remove the liner if you mess with steam(more sewing?).

Not a handy guy but I`m kind of excited about learning some hatter type stuffs.

Thanks again!
Hos

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You don't steam the inside of the hat, so there's no need to remove the liner. Steaming the inside might also shrink the sweat. If you're a bit timid with the steam, just wear the hat in the rain for a while, play with the shape, and let it dry just sitting on a counter. If you don't like the shape, just do it again.

Chinaski

One Too Many
HosManHatter said:
That`s...embarressing. *blushing* I did enjoy the link though. :)

I've written some silly things before as well - don't worry, everyone's pretty kind around here :) And what do you know? Lefty posted some good tips for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko