Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Earth-Tone Color Akubras

I want a new Akubra in an earth tone, but vendor's web site pics are often so far from color reality, complicated by the fact that different vendors use different terms for the same color, that they are of little use.

I've narrowed my style/color choices to Banjo Patterson (Heritage Fawn), Lawson (Dark Fawn), Squatter (Mid-Fawn), Bushman (Nullarbor Tan), Stockman (Fawn), Angler (Regency Fawn), and Traveller (also Regency Fawn). The color names are David Morgan's; what other vendor's equivalents are, I do not know.

I would REALLY APPRECIATE y'all throwin' up true-to-life photos of Akubras in these colors, whether or not it's the same hat style I mention. It's the color that will be the primary deciding factor, as I simply don't want the new hat to be the same or too close in color to my Acorn Fawn (Everything Australian's term) Stylemaster. So, for comparison, a pic of any hat in Acorn Fawn is needed, as well.

I don't ask for much, now do I?

I'd shore apprishate it!

chum

Familiar Face
shaping the brim on my new Fed IV...

Somewhere on the forums I saw someone adding the front swoop by hanging the hat on a table by the brim, and misting it. Should I just let it dry naturally after this? Does it have to dry completly after this treatment for best results?

barrowjh

One Too Many
You are most welcome; cannot remember who here sent me to that site (or did I discover it on my own?), but it is a nice surprise. Nothing in the title that would lead you think hats, but it has the accessory stuff, and at fair prices.

Chinaski

One Too Many
AlterEgo said:
I want a new Akubra in an earth tone, but vendor's web site pics are often so far from color reality, complicated by the fact that different vendors use different terms for the same color, that they are of little use.

I've narrowed my style/color choices to Banjo Patterson (Heritage Fawn), Lawson (Dark Fawn), Squatter (Mid-Fawn), Bushman (Nullarbor Tan), Stockman (Fawn), Angler (Regency Fawn), and Traveller (also Regency Fawn). The color names are David Morgan's; what other vendor's equivalents are, I do not know.

I would REALLY APPRECIATE y'all throwin' up true-to-life photos of Akubras in these colors, whether or not it's the same hat style I mention. It's the color that will be the primary deciding factor, as I simply don't want the new hat to be the same or too close in color to my Acorn Fawn (Everything Australian's term) Stylemaster. So, for comparison, a pic of any hat in Acorn Fawn is needed, as well.

I don't ask for much, now do I?

I'd shore apprishate it!

I have a Lawson - this picture is pretty true as far as my monitor is concerned. That brighter spot on the brim is sun shining through the tree.

DSC_0002.jpg

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Q: How does one begin to find fedora's on ebay auctions?
all my searches turn up 'fashion hats' and an occasional real fedora.

I saw a link here one time to an ebay search but i forgot which thread it was in.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Musashi said:

I saw a link here one time to an ebay search but i forgot which thread it was in.

Search: vintage fedora

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Chinaski said:
I have a Lawson - this picture is pretty true as far as my monitor is concerned. That brighter spot on the brim is sun shining through the tree.

DSC_0002.jpg

Thank you so much, Chinaski.

Your photo is outstanding! Natural outdoor light, in the shade, on green grass, no less. I can see the spiffy braided center ridge hat band in exceptional detail, and the felt color--that's dark fawn, right?--is not nearly as dark as it appears on David Morgan's web site or in its print catalogue. Is the Akubra name plate on the band removable?

Since I'll be wearing the hat while doing active outdoor stuff like hiking, plinking bottles in riverbottoms, and raking leaves, I'm concerned that one which is too dark will be too hot. David Morgan used to carry the Lawson in moss green--a terrific, lighter color for this sporting hat--but they discontinued that shade and then marked it way down, and I didn't find out until they were sold out of all the 7 1/8s. Otherwise, I'd already have the Lawson in moss green and not pestering folks here.

Which brings me to the heritage fawn Banjo Patterson, which appears to be the lightest color of fawn Akubra offers, but until I see a good pic here alongside its other fawns--plain ol' fawn, mid-, regency-, acorn-, and nullarbor tan--I really cannot determine.

Any help on those, y'all?

Chinaski

One Too Many
AlterEgo, I'm glad the photo was helpful for you. The nameplate is easily removable. I personally love the color, which is called Loden. I purchased from Aussie Bush Hats in Oz, and did the 3 month wait for the Heritage felt. I wear the Lawson in about the same situations you've described. I wear it hiking, outdoor work, gardening, etc. I wouldn't think the color (moss green vs. Loden) would make a huge difference in the heat factor. However, it is a bit more dry here in Southern California than Southern USA. Happy hunting!

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Well, just when I thought I was ready to purchase the Lawson, now I'm more confused than ever.

First, is Aussie Bush Hats' "loden" the same color as David Morgan's "dark fawn?" I hope so, but I'm thinking no; loden is a green, and dark fawn is in the brown family. That would explain why the photo of your hat appears considerably lighter than David Morgan's pics of the Lawson in dark fawn.

Second, every Lawson I've ever seen described--including the one on Akubra's own web site--comes only in the Heritage felt, yet you say you had to wait 3 months to get this premium felt on special order. Maybe it was the loden color that had to be special-ordered and caused the long wait?

Let me know at your earliest convenience, for if DM's dark fawn Lawson is the same color as your handsome loden, I'm going to buy it immediately so I can get some wear out of it before Panama, Tilley, and pith helmet weather arrives here in Dixie.

Thanks a bunch!

Chinaski

One Too Many
Alterego, here's a link from Aussie Bush Hats:

http://aussiebushhats.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_117&products_id=55

You can peruse the rest of the site, but the link is straight to the Lawson, and you'll see the available colors with color samples listed as Heritage Fawn and Loden. The Loden doesn't have any green, and that's the color of my hat, which I would say is a rich deep brown.

I do not know why they they have a 3 month wait. I believe it is because on certain models (particularly in Heritage felt) they don't want to keep inventory on hand and tie up money.

I cannot speak for David Morgan, as they import from Australia, I believe, and so they list inventory they have on hand. Also, I believe they rename their hat models as well as colors, whereas I believe Aussie Bush Hats keeps to Akubra's nomenclature.

Pilot99

Familiar Face
Musashi said:

I've been searching ebay fedoras more and more. Surely you can search "vintage fedora" which has been pretty successful. But I would add your hat size like Vintage Fedora 7 3/8. Also one thing I would recommend is to find a fedora you like, put it on your watch list and then under 'my ebay' where the watch list is, go under 'more options' and 'view similar items'.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Chinaski said:
Alterego, here's a link from Aussie Bush Hats:

http://aussiebushhats.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_117&products_id=55

You can peruse the rest of the site, but the link is straight to the Lawson, and you'll see the available colors with color samples listed as Heritage Fawn and Loden. The Loden doesn't have any green, and that's the color of my hat, which I would say is a rich deep brown.

I do not know why they they have a 3 month wait. I believe it is because on certain models (particularly in Heritage felt) they don't want to keep inventory on hand and tie up money.

I cannot speak for David Morgan, as they import from Australia, I believe, and so they list inventory they have on hand. Also, I believe they rename their hat models as well as colors, whereas I believe Aussie Bush Hats keeps to Akubra's nomenclature.

Chinaski,

Thank you so very much for your patient assistance.

I'm pretty sure your Loden is the same color as David Morgan's Dark Fawn, so I'm going to order a Lawson in that color from them today. I see that Aussie Bush Hats can get it in Heritage Fawn, which I'd actually prefer because that much lighter color can be worn further into warm weather, but I just cannot wait up to 3 months.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
Search: vintage fedora

That's a good search but you will also need:

- chest waders
- a long rope '2 half hitched' to a tree and bowlined to your torso
- a dog that understands "fetch help"

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members