Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Assuming a crushed top hat can be repaired, I don't know that there is anyone in the U.S. capable of it, or that I would trust with something such as a crushed top hat. No disrespect meant to America's hatters, it's just that top hats are very different from most other hats, and I don't know that any of them have the experience it would require.

I've considered contacting our own member, Topper, in the U.K., about replacing the binding on my top hat. I'm sure there are others in the U.K. that can also repair vintage toppers.

Brad

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Borsalino X's

Lefty said:
Someone has a 5x (Bantam-man?), but that's all I know.

Apologies for following up on Aureliano's question so late. I should check this thread more often.

I could add that I have at lease one Borsalino with 6 X's in my collection.

And the X's are not empty marketing retoric. You can really feel that the more X's has, the better the felt is.

Now what I do not understand myself is how Borsalino's X-rating compares to the Qualitá <extra> <extra> superiore/finissima rating.
- Are they from different time periods? If so, I have not ascertained yet which one is the oldest.
- Were they used next to each other, for different types of hats? The X's just for the velour type, which came in the triangular boxes, for some time. And the Qualitá etc. for the pre-shaped, non-velour hats, that came in oval boxes?

Any insights would be appreciated!

jporgeck

Familiar Face
Searching for Hat(s)

Greetings, I'm new to the Fedora Lounge. Still trying to figure how this all works. If I'm in the wrong place I apologize.

Anyway, as there are no hat stores here in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area I've been browsing the Web, for about the last 8 months, in search of a nice Fedora. I've been reluctant to purchase a hat online without first seeing how it looks on me.

By chance I was in Houston, TX this last week and made a trip to Miller Hats. It was a less than pleasant experience. Being in the market for both a nice beaver fur felt and straw I was disappointed that I was not receiving any customer service. I was looking at a nice Borsalino (style # 451) however, I wanted a different color and a wider ribbon. When I was finally able to get the young sales associate to come over to me I found that he wasn't helpful at all. Told me that it was the end of felt season and that he couldn't get me anything other than what was in stock. Then he walked away and started talking to another customer. Call me old fashioned if you will but I thought that since I was in there looking to spend hundreds of dollars on a couple of hats that I deserved a little more attention. Needless to say I walked away deflated and hatless.

I was able to find a nice Stetson 2-3/4" snap brim straw at the Hat Store in Houston, TX. It is a small store with limited inventory so I didn't end up with a felt. They were however, very customer friendly.

Anyway, I was wondering if Millerhats.com is associated with the Miller Hats I visited in Houston. If that is the case I'm worried about sharing my money with them or trusting their customer service.

Can anyone give me feedback regarding customer service on the FedoraStore.com or Hats-plus.com.

I see that Vintage Silhouettes (Art Fawcett) and Optimo Hats always get great feedback. Any idea (ballpark) on what their hats go for.

Regards,

Jim

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
You first hat from Art Fawcett will wind up around $360.00 or so after round trip shipping of conformer and finished hat. Optimo starts around $450.00 plus shipping. Art makes a block of you head, Optimo doesn't. The Fedora Store is right on with their pricing and fast shipping. Penman, Buckaroo Hatters, Bencraft are all well liked here at the lounge as are many more. Good luck.
Tom D.

jporgeck

Familiar Face
St.Ignatz said:
You first hat from Art Fawcett will wind up around $360.00 or so after round trip shipping of conformer and finished hat. Optimo starts around $450.00 plus shipping. Art makes a block of you head, Optimo doesn't. The Fedora Store is right on with their pricing and fast shipping. Penman, Buckaroo Hatters, Bencraft are all well liked here at the lounge as are many more. Good luck.
Tom D.

Thanks for the info Tom D. Pardon my naivete but when you say that he "makes a block of your head" what exactly do you mean and how is that accomplished?

I never imagined searching for a hat would become so educational... And time consuming. I suppose I'll appreciate it all the more when I get my first felt fedora.

Jim

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
jporgeck said:
Thanks for the info Tom D. Pardon my naivete but when you say that he "makes a block of your head" what exactly do you mean and how is that accomplished?

I never imagined searching for a hat would become so educational... And time consuming. I suppose I'll appreciate it all the more when I get my first felt fedora.

Jim

First let me say I believe I low balled the Optimo cost. The conformer Art sends, with deposit, is placed on your dome and adjusted to "conform" to it's shape. Locked in it is then returned to the Wizard for transfer to a block with your very own name on it and kept for future use to help you TRY to satisfy the hungry beast within that will demand more hats with more colors and different ribbon treatment different edges wider then narrower brims. Center creased, open crown, cattleman, c-crown ....ahhh the joys of hat acquisition. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Tom D.
p.s. What did you say your hat size is?

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Miller Hats and customer disservice

jporgeck said:
I was disappointed that I was not receiving any customer service.

Anyway, I was wondering if Millerhats.com is associated with the Miller Hats I visited in Houston.

To answer your second question first, yes, they are the same outfit.

I bought three hats from Miller. They are no more helpful on the phone than they were to you in person.

If you want a hat and aren't interested in service, you will get a decent, but not top quality, hat from Miller.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Had a few hats, mostly old stingies, sitting waiting for a brushing and dewrinkling and I finally got the big steam rolling and now I have four open crown hats that, other than one somewhat dirty liner, really look pretty good and I am forced to learn to crease and bash from scratch :eek: :eusa_doh:
Guess I'll have to learn that diamond thing now :eek:

Musashi

One of the Regulars
I have seen threads on this, but now that i NEED them i've got 'search brain freeze'... i need a good thread on how to Clean a hat from ebay, just to make sure its got no 'buggys' in it/ I don't think it does, but I'm still used to the old 'don't share hats' stuff they taught us in grade school cause of headlice!

Anything i can do to make myself at ease without destroying the hat? Thread suggestions to read?

Thanks!

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Musashi said:
I have seen threads on this, but now that i NEED them i've got 'search brain freeze'... i need a good thread on how to Clean a hat from ebay, just to make sure its got no 'buggys' in it/ I don't think it does, but I'm still used to the old 'don't share hats' stuff they taught us in grade school cause of headlice!

Anything i can do to make myself at ease without destroying the hat? Thread suggestions to read?

Thanks!
Someone recently told me that their method was to place the hat into the freezer for an extended period of time. If you have the corresponding weather the trunk will always do ;)

deenis

Familiar Face
St.Ignatz said:
First let me say I believe I low balled the Optimo cost. The conformer Art sends, with deposit, is placed on your dome and adjusted to "conform" to it's shape. Locked in it is then returned to the Wizard for transfer to a block with your very own name on it and kept for future use to help you TRY to satisfy the hungry beast within that will demand more hats with more colors and different ribbon treatment different edges wider then narrower brims. Center creased, open crown, cattleman, c-crown ....ahhh the joys of hat acquisition. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Tom D.
p.s. What did you say your hat size is?
-------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone tell me Art Fawcett's website url? Thanks!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Liner sweat stain...

How can I get rid of--besides unsewing it and washing it--a medium size old sweat stain from a liner of a vintage hat?
Will denatured alcohol do the job? if yes where can I get some?

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Aureliano said:
How can I get rid of--besides unsewing it and washing it--a medium size old sweat stain from a liner of a vintage hat?
Will denatured alcohol do the job? if yes where can I get some?

I was JUST NOW looking at the Lowe's website for naphtha, and denatured alcohol was in the side column of 'related items' so Im guessing its easily available at any of those big home improvement stores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko