Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jporgeck

Familiar Face
Thanks for the Info St. Ignatz

St.Ignatz said:
First let me say I believe I low balled the Optimo cost. The conformer Art sends, with deposit, is placed on your dome and adjusted to "conform" to it's shape. Locked in it is then returned to the Wizard for transfer to a block with your very own name on it and kept for future use to help you TRY to satisfy the hungry beast within that will demand more hats with more colors and different ribbon treatment different edges wider then narrower brims. Center creased, open crown, cattleman, c-crown ....ahhh the joys of hat acquisition. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Tom D.
p.s. What did you say your hat size is?

St. Ignatz, thanks. I sent Art Fawcett a deposit and should be getting the "conformer" tomorrow. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. Now that the wheels are in motion I am waffling.

P.S. My hat size is 7 1/4 LO

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
My wife wore a 20s satin wedding dress and it's just been sitting in a box ever since. I'd like to have it made into hat liners for use future customs.

Does anyone know how I could go about doing this, or a source that shows the pattern/method for making a liner. I realize that I could take one I've got apart, but I don't have one that I feel like trashing - especially if I can't properly put it back together.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
My wife wore a 20s satin wedding dress and it's just been sitting in a box ever since. I'd like to have it made into hat liners for use future customs.

Does anyone know how I could go about doing this, or a source that shows the pattern/method for making a liner. I realize that I could take one I've got apart, but I don't have one that I feel like trashing - especially if I can't properly put it back together.

lol lol You, sir, are a true hat addict. Only a true hat addict would have no compunction about destroying his wife's antique wedding dress, but be afraid to possibly destroy a hat liner.:eusa_clap

I'm sure I've got some old ones laying around that I don't need that you could take apart. I'll have to dig for them and let you know.

Brad

Cufflinks

New in Town
If you are completely new to hats, where do you start?

Also, anytime, I ever wear a hat, it messes up my hair, how do you avoid that, especially if you are going somewhere where you have to look sharp?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
lol
Thanks. The dress came from a vintage clothing store and my wife isn't attached to it. She's really on-board with this idea.

I forgot about this short-term member, who is listed as sponsors on the Hat Life site as NES Enterprises, Inc. (I googled the phone number.)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Cufflinks said:

Also, anytime, I ever wear a hat, it messes up my hair, how do you avoid that, especially if you are going somewhere where you have to look sharp?

Read a lot of threads, starting with the stickies (the "start here" thread). It will take a few weeks/months, but you'll get it.

With short hair, I don't have a problem, but I think there might be a thread on hats and guys with longer hair.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
lol lol You, sir, are a true hat addict. Only a true hat addict would have no compunction about destroying his wife's antique wedding dress, but be afraid to possibly destroy a hat liner.:eusa_clap
:arated:
I have a few beaters, stained moth eaten etc, around that I am keeping for spare parts

chum

Familiar Face
Cufflinks said:

Any particular type of "hat" you are referring to? A fedora that fits you properly might just give you hat hair only where the sweat band goes around your head. All I have to do is rake my fingers through this part of my hair and this goes away...
Welcome to the Lounge!

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Cufflinks said:

I just shave my head [huh] after all... it's all about the hat ;)
lol lol lol

babs

A-List Customer
Shaping/Pinching/Creasing "bashing" a Milan Straw?

Usual disclaimer - Sorry if this is covered at length somewhere.. Searches now findy.

Understanding steam H2O does the work for shaping a felt, however...

I just picked up a super cool milan from Johnnyphi and I keep thinking it would do well with pinches. As is, it's a snappy simple center dent stingy of a nice summery tan color. Park Royal. Looks like a nice little hat. A little large but wearable.

Can you "bash" (sorry to use the term) or shape a milan straw without being a hatter?

SilveradoSteve

New in Town
Confused about straws

I am looking at buying a Montecristi hat and know nothing about them but after a little investigating I AM even more confused. What is Montecristi. I found that it was actually a brand name but it seems that everyone calls a straw hat a montecristi. I even found one made by borsalino that is a montecristi model. Please bring me into the light on this subject. Thanks

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
So here's a question -- is anyone else finding that, not infrequently during the course of any given day, the Lounge server is inaccessible? Just wondering...

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Yes, JtL, often. Sometimes it takes a good 5 minutes for the page to load, other times it won't load at all. Then my browser page says something like, "Safari can't access this page".

Edit: Just did it again, coincidentally enough. From about 5:04 to 5:14, when I was posting my next reply below.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Lefty said:

Lefty, if you ever do figure out how, I'll take one please!

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Montecristi Panamas

I know a few newbies, myself included, are gathering info and learning all they can to make that first straw purchase.
On ebay I have been looking throughand keep finding Ecuacorp. This company says that their hatter is in Montecristi and the hats are hand fashioned from the finest toquillo straw. From what I know, that tiny bit, about straws these are all the important things covered and unless they are misrepresenting themselves these should be decent hats at good prices.
Anyone know anymore about or have any experience with this outfit? Any further discussion would be appreciated ;)

SilveradoSteve

New in Town
I am also looking on e-bay for a straw hat but I have yet to see one offered by Ecuacorp. Can you give us a item number for a closed auction of theirs so we can see what is being offered.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
SilveradoSteve said:
I am also looking on e-bay for a straw hat but I have yet to see one offered by Ecuacorp. Can you give us a item number for a closed auction of theirs so we can see what is being offered.
here's one 260562865478 but I see them all over. Another is Ultrafino Panama Hats, I think you try that as all one word.
I am findign them all over but know very little that is of practical se in finding the better deals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui