Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SilveradoSteve

New in Town
Scott Wood said:
here's one 260562865478 but I see them all over. Another is Ultrafino Panama Hats, I think you try that as all one word.
I am findign them all over but know very little that is of practical se in finding the better deals.

Scott, You may want to look at berkeleyhat.com, they have some nice panama hats at reasonable prices and they are shipped from California, not S America. I am looking at the Panama Hat Extra Fino for $63.00 plus $7.00 shipping, seems like a good deal?

Scott Wood

Practically Family
SilveradoSteve said:
Scott, You may want to look at berkeleyhat.com, they have some nice panama hats at reasonable prices and they are shipped from California, not S America. I am looking at the Panama Hat Extra Fino for $63.00 plus $7.00 shipping, seems like a good deal?
Have ordered one from them. Two basic reasons: I could figure out what exactly I was getting... and it came in fit sizes rather than S-M-L.
We'll see [huh]

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Heres a Question I wonder if anyone can answer...

Can my two pet rabbits tell my hats are rabbit felt? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Going to join the Art Farcett Club soon I think. Pretty sure the Bunnies dont care about beavers.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Can anyone help me improve this hat?

Or is it a lost cause?:

IMG_2083-1.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

It is a Renegade Headwear Lite Felt (printed inside "100% wool felt made in the USA packable water repellant") that I picked up on one of my visits to the States about 10 years ago. I really and truly hope it has nothing in common with the Renegade hats I found googling today - those on the company website page from 2007 look like something from a line dance club catalogue :eek:

I liked the idea of its packability but I think that is causing me some problems now. I keep trying to reshape it (dry without steam or water) but it just springs back into the shape you see above. Which is quite nice if I were riding on the range. I do like Western style hats and I always seem to buy one whenever I am in the States (of varying degrees of quality), but the truth is, I live in SE London and there just isn't much call for a Western hat! So they end up on a shelf as a decorative piece. This one I have never worn.

I want to wear it! I want it to look more like a safari or bush hat - an adventuring hat but not necessarily an Indy clone - wrong colour anyway for that.

I have considered a pugaree or wide-ish ribbon to give the impression of less height to the crown. I quite like the wide brim but the rolled over edge with the wire support just refuses to bend the way I want. :mad:

It's is also a bit big for me - I had more hair I think when I bought it! My normal size is somewhere around 7 3/8. This is more like 7 3/4!

Can anything be done? Or does anyone like it enough to swap for something more akin to a bush hat that I can wear more easily with an A-2 or Barbour or bush jacket? [huh]

shaw39

New in Town
Mystery Hat (to me)

I picked up a couple of hats from an estate sale and wanted to find some history of the maker, but cannot find any info on the internet. Has anyone heard of "LORD CHESTER" hats? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirk

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Received that Panama

SilveradoSteve said:
Exactly the reasons I am looking at them. Please let me know what you think when you get yours.
Today I got that Panama Extra Fino I ordered from Berkeley Hats on about March 15th. It's my first Panama so I don't know much but it seems fine to me and there are no glaring faults that I can find. All in all I am very happy with it and just hope the weather gets here soon:D
100_0395.jpg

Scott Wood

Practically Family
SilveradoSteve said:
That hat looks good on you but can you tell me the brim size and also how does it feel with no sweatband?
The brim is 2 7/8 and it feels surprisingly good on the head. After a minute or two you really could forget you have it on and, as I said, I got it snug[huh]

SilveradoSteve

New in Town
Thanks, I'm going to order one and the weather here is already almost too hot for my fur felt hats, mid seventies today and over eighty degrees on Tuesday.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Hey guys, I know it's probably not your thing, but could you offer me any advice on the Renegade I asked about a couple of posts ago?

Do you know if it will be ok to trim off the wire brim - does a wool felt retain an edge like a fur felt when it is cut? Or does it just fray and unravel?

Any help would be appreciated!

Scott Wood

Practically Family
SilveradoSteve said:
Thanks, I'm going to order one and the weather here is already almost too hot for my fur felt hats, mid seventies today and over eighty degrees on Tuesday.
The Panama I ordered is the 63 USD variety. Would love to be able to compare with the more costly unit, maybe later in the spring [huh]

Speedbird?
I have no idea about trimming that brim, none at all.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Speedbird said:
Hey guys, I know it's probably not your thing, but could you offer me any advice on the Renegade I asked about a couple of posts ago?

Do you know if it will be ok to trim off the wire brim - does a wool felt retain an edge like a fur felt when it is cut? Or does it just fray and unravel?

You could trim the brim and sandpaper the edge and spray on hat stiffener to make up for the floppiness caused by the lack of a wire in the brim (LiteFelt is very floppy in my experience), but frankly, I wouldn't bother with it. I would get a hat that you're happy with and that fits you without having to do anything to it. If you're looking for a good adventurer or safari hat, practically everybody here would highly recommend checking out the Akubra brand.

SB - you can cut the brim but shaping the brim can be a challenge. Wetting it & ironing it thru a bandana works to get it flatter. Wool shapes like felt but not near as easy & needs lots of coaching. There are plenty of raw edge wool hats around. Hat stiffener or even some spray starch could help you as well. There is a thread on here with a guy showing off a black wool western he worked on, think it is in Conversion Corral. HTH
Speedbird said:

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Ok, thanks guys! Perhaps I will find a new home for it with a Western enthusiast here in the UK. I have other Western hats, a furfelt and a straw as well as my cav hat conversion from another woolfelt hat which worked well for my re-enacting. I just thought I ought to try to get some use out of this one and I do like the colour - but as Mr E Train says by the time I adjust the size, reshape the crown, sort out the brim, add a pugaree - it will still be a very soft floppy LiteFelt .. or worse, I might ruin it completely!

I really ought to move somewhere where my clothes suit! :eusa_doh:

indycop said:
I was under the general impression that a 6 5/8 tag would just show as 5/8 but a 7 5/8 would show as 7 5/8. This is a 7 5/8, unusual?
My Stratoliner as well as Casual both have only fractions & are 7 5/8. I did buy a Playboy once on the Bay that was a 6 5/8. Size tag looked identical to these & the seller tried to tell me it measured 24" around the sweatband, not wanting to refund my money. :eek:

Scott Wood

Practically Family
An odd question

:eek:fftopic:

I love the finer things in life and among them is great food. Along that line I love to cook and am known for great cuilinary entertaining... Is there a thread anywhere here for loungers to share their enjoyments of great food etc?[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ