Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Woody, you'll find some discussion of gastronomic delights in The Connoisseur section of The Fedora Lounge. You'll also wade through some of the other finer things in life, like cigars, pipes, booze, beer, etc. Give it a gander...

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Chinaski said:
Woody, you'll find some discussion of gastronomic delights in The Connoisseur section of The Fedora Lounge. You'll also wade through some of the other finer things in life, like cigars, pipes, booze, beer, etc. Give it a gander...
Thanks C. Am enjoying a sweet cheroot with my fresh ground french roast after the seafood linguine and home baked french stick :rolleyes:
Will go check that section out ;)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Do the sweat band and lining of a hat normally match, for example both saying Royal Stetson Deluxe, as opposed to the sweat band saying that and the lining just saying Stetson?
Also, if they do or don't, does that say anything about the age of the hat?

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Odd Question

If i were to lose 15-20 lbs, would my hat size get smaller?

(im thinking of getting back on the exercise, and simultaneously discussing new hats...)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Musashi said:
If i were to lose 15-20 lbs, would my hat size get smaller?

(im thinking of getting back on the exercise, and simultaneously discussing new hats...)

Run this in Google:

weight loss hat size site:thefedoralounge.com

It seems to have what you're looking for.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
How to lose that moldy smell?

I tried a search or two or three for this topic, but saw nothing.

So:

I got a great long-fur deep green fedora, size 7 1/2, and it reeks of mold. Otherwise it's perfect. I gave it 2 baths in Woolite, and it's much better, but still has that moldy smell. Aside from a Naptha bath (don't want to buy gallons of toxic chemicals and a big plastic bucket), are there any other cures? Thanks for any input.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
randooch said:
I tried a search or two or three for this topic, but saw nothing.

So:

I got a great long-fur deep green fedora, size 7 1/2, and it reeks of mold. Otherwise it's perfect. I gave it 2 baths in Woolite, and it's much better, but still has that moldy smell. Aside from a Naptha bath (don't want to buy gallons of toxic chemicals and a big plastic bucket), are there any other cures? Thanks for any input.
Just to let you know, when I was young and there was no electricity we cooked on a campstove when it was too hot to light the woodstove and we used naphtha in the stoves only we called it 'white' gas. It is basically camp fuel and the reason it is used in stoves, lanterns etc. and for cleaning hats et. is the same. It burns/dries clean with no residue. I tell you this to point out that, while you want to be using any quantity out in the open, it isn't any kind of a chemical product as such. It is simply a form of petrol with no additives thus no residue.[huh]

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
randooch said:

Plenty of fresh air out of doors may do wonders for it. Many have also had good results putting stale hats in a box with crumpled newspaper or baking soda for a period. You can even do both by putting the hat in such a box for a few days in combination with leaving it in the fresh air during the day. Eventually the bad odor will probably go away. That's been my experience anyway, and I have never had to use any chemical cleaners to remove odors. ;)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
you could try filling a small cup with vinegar and placing the hat over top of it for a day or so. Same with baking soda. Don't get any on the hat in either case, just put a small cup on a table, and set the hat over it. Not sure if it will work, but both of those do work miracles at removing odors.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
Run this in Google:

weight loss hat size site:thefedoralounge.com

It seems to have what you're looking for.

Thanks Lefty! I will have to remember this in EVERY search i do. The wait between searches -on-site- is AGGRAVATING. Being a site admin for a living, i understand the reasons. but still.. urgh.

kps

New in Town
Baron (of Canada, not Hollywood)

I recently bought this in a thrift shop for a friend (sadly my own head has swelled beyond the point where I can wear inexpensive vintage hats) but have been unable to find anything about the brand. Anyone recognize the marks?

baronliner.jpg

baronstyle.jpg

baronsweatband.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Not that it's a registered trademark for them or anything, but "Genuine Fur Felt, Made in Canada" embossed on the sweatband seems very Biltmore to me. Maybe Baron was a Biltmore wanna-be. [huh]

kps

New in Town
Mr E Train said:
Not that it's a registered trademark for them or anything, but "Genuine Fur Felt, Made in Canada" embossed on the sweatband seems very Biltmore to me. Maybe Baron was a Biltmore wanna-be. [huh]
No, sadly it's not a registered trademark for anyone, at least in Canada and the US — that would be too easy. My guess is that it was someone's house brand; perhaps someone will recognize the appearance of the "duplicating number" tag as common to some better-known manufacturer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch