Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
StetsonHomburg said:
What made the Stetson Whippet Different from other Stetson Fedora's?

Stylistically and dimensionally the Whippet wasn't so different than other Stetsons or other hats from various companies during the '40s. Keep in mind that the Whippet's dimensions evolved through the decades along with most everything else.

What really stands out for me making the Whippet different is that it was offered, at least for a time, in 24 colors.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scott Wood said:
I am on FaceBook with a couple of members here but very seldom go there.
Just wondering if anyone from the lounge uses Skype or Windows Messenger for keeping in touch?
Woody,I use Windows Messenger, if you want, pm me?

Randooch,the crumbled newspaper worked excellent for me with 2 hats that reeked of smoke. [huh]

Viper Man

Banned
Can anyone tell me what the typical open crown height is for a vintage OR? Did they vary like brim widths? Also, what are the main differences between an OR and Strat? I've searched for hours and have never seen it directly expressed other than perhaps the flange of the brim on a strat and the cattleman's crease of an OR.

Thanks, guys!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Viper Man said:
Can anyone tell me what the typical open crown height is for a vintage OR? Did they vary like brim widths? Also, what are the main differences between an OR and Strat? I've searched for hours and have never seen it directly expressed other than perhaps the flange of the brim on a strat and the cattleman's crease of an OR.

Thanks, guys!

Typical open crown height on a vintage OR is 5 1/2". Brim widths varied, but 2 3/4" was fairly standard. Other common OR brim widths are 2 5/8" and 2 7/8". There's plenty in this forum on the OR/Strat distinction -- here's my take.

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
You're most welcome, V-man.

You know, in my linked post, I really didn't focus on chronology. The one thing I would now add is that the introduction of the modern incarnation of the Open Road (around 1948) was most likely a reflection of Stetson's attempt to expand upon the popularity of the Stratoliner, which had been launched in the fall of 1940...:)

Cheers,
JtL

Lonny

One of the Regulars
Thin Ribbon?

I've had a crush on this specific type of hat.

Its a fedora, with a tear drop bash, a pretty much up turned brim and a thin ribbon with a tiny little...button I guess holding the ribbon together, every time I see them I wonder if they have a specific name, I really love them!

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
All right guys, so let's say you post a hat on the "what hat are you wearing" thread. Now everybody, including myself from time to time, post comments about the hats presented, usually compliments and the usual humorous comment. What if somebody doesn't like a hat and want to say it (or if you don't like my hat and want to be honest and tell me, which will be appreciated BTW) what's the protocol?

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
"Did you get that hat in New Orleans? I think I saw it on a mule at Jackson Square". is a bit strong but "I would like to see you in a smaller/larger brim or higher crown" or just say those Stratoliners are waaayy over rated. If we wear our hats on our sleeve we will always have a problem.:whistling We get unsolicited opinions on the street all the time from the untrained eyes so it's good to get constructive feedback from our brothers and sisters here. or maybe not.;)
Tom D.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:
Good observation, man.

Indeed!

Some folks are obviously insecure about the way they look in a Fedora. Just look for the ones with props like cigars, pets, outrageous street scenery, pajamas, etc. It's mostly just a distraction to hide their style phobias.

:p

indycop

I'll Lock Up
CRH said:
Indeed!

Some folks are obviously insecure about the way they look in a Fedora. Just look for the ones with props like cigars, pets, outrageous street scenery, pajamas, etc. It's mostly just a distraction to hide their style phobias.

:p
:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider